Non-APPE hour requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IndusYamuna

Reaction score
Hi. I am a 4th year student, currently in Nevada, and planning to get licensed in Washington state after graduation. However, being a single mom, I haven't been able to get any internship hours outside of APPEs. I see that WA requires 300 non-APPE hours for licensing. Since I am applying for residencies in WA, I really need to figure out a way to do this as soon as possible once I move back. I am planning on getting my pharmacy intern license in WA as soon as I move back and try to apply for intern jobs then, but I'm not sure if I'll have enough time before residencies start. I am considering getting licensed in Oregon, which does not have this requirement, and then transferring my license to WA. Does anyone have a similar experience or advice on this situation? Also, do residency hours in the initial couple of months count towards the non-APPE intern hour requirement? I am really panicking about this situation and would appreciate any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

This is why it's important to work and log/report your hours to your Board of Pharmacy during school. We were warned this could happen in pharmacy school during P1. You can work in your current state, log the hours/report to your Board of Pharmacy and they should be able to transfer that to the other states you want to transfer to.

Why not just get your NV rph license and then apply for WA via reciprocity? You already practice in NV and were taught the laws of the state in school, seems easier to just take the NV law exam vs studying for Oregon law when you don't practice there or want to live there.

WAC 246-945-162 Pharmacist license qualifications.(1) In addi-
tion to the requirements in RCW 18.64.080, an applicant for a pharma-
cist license who holds a baccalaureate degree in pharmacy or a doctor
of pharmacy degree from a commission accredited school or college of
pharmacy shall submit documentation of education and practice experi-
ence as follows:
(a) An applicant who graduated before July 1, 2020, whose offi-
cial transcripts confer or award a baccalaureate of pharmacy or doc-
torate of pharmacy degree shall provide certification of at least fif-
teen hundred pharmacy internship hours in accordance with WAC
246-945-163.
(b) An applicant who graduates after July 1, 2020, whose official
transcripts confer or award a doctorate of pharmacy is deemed to have
satisfied the pharmacy practice experience and education requirements
for licensure without documentation of internship hours.
You don't need those 300 outside hours anymore

This was not required of out-of-state grads either: https://www.doh.wa.gov/Portals/1/Documents/2300/2017/PQAC-45-InternshipHours.pdf

Last edited: