VA pharmacist transfer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

urvishlingda

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it easy to take transfer within VA to different state? Please share your thoughts and experience.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you already within the VA? Log onto the MSEP and that’s how it’s done. However, most ordinary positions are competitive and are competed on USAJobs. If they are, they won’t be in the transfer system unless you are a military spouse. The transfer system is ordinarily for spousal or hard to fill positions.

Are you already within the VA? Log onto the MSEP and that’s how it’s done. However, most ordinary positions are competitive and are competed on USAJobs. If they are, they won’t be in the transfer system unless you are a military spouse. The transfer system is ordinarily for spousal or hard to fill positions.
I am not in VA yet, I may be getting final offer in week. Job is in another state and my family is hesitant to move and I do not want to miss Gs13 opportunity. I am trying to convince my family.

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on how popular that VA is and how picky you are about what job you want. You'll be competing against A)employees internal to that VA looking to switch jobs within the pharmacy apartment followed by B)other candidates wishing to transfer, in that order. It would be harder to transfer to somewhere popular like San Francisco compared to somewhere less popular like Johnson City, TN.

Reactions: 1 user
Depends on how popular that VA is and how picky you are about what job you want. You'll be competing against A)employees internal to that VA looking to switch jobs within the pharmacy apartment followed by B)other candidates wishing to transfer, in that order. It would be harder to transfer to somewhere popular like San Francisco compared to somewhere less popular like Johnson City, TN.
I will be mostly trying to transfer to Midwest only. So hope bot that much challenging but off course it will be a challenge and luck as well.

I will be mostly trying to transfer to Midwest only. So hope bot that much challenging but off course it will be a challenge and luck as well.
If Chicago (except Great Mistakes), impossible without competition. Forget Minneapolis, Omaha, or Des Moines. Detroit and St. Louis cyclically has transfer ability due to routine bad management.

Funny you should say that particular one, Quillen is actually known to be run well. The city is cancer though (in the same sense Fresno is) due to water contamination.

One other thing came to mind. 13’s do not transfer typically. You either promote or compete for laterals. The only transfers granted tend to be Leadership Development (ugh) that stick you in the worst of the worst.

If Chicago (except Great Mistakes), impossible without competition. Forget Minneapolis, Omaha, or Des Moines. Detroit and St. Louis cyclically has transfer ability due to routine bad management.
How's VISN 10 (Indiana, Ohio, parts of Michigan) in the general management/satisfaction sense?

How difficult to get transfer from Kansas City, MO. How is overall work there.

Funny you should say that particular one, Quillen is actually known to be run well. The city is cancer though (in the same sense Fresno is) due to water contamination.

One other thing came to mind. 13’s do not transfer typically. You either promote or compete for laterals. The only transfers granted tend to be Leadership Development (ugh) that stick you in the worst of the worst.
I guess I equate "compete for laterals" to "transfer". I know it's not a true transfer, but generally they still prefer you to a non-VA candidate. I do hear that Johnson City is a well run VA, but I know someone who was able to easily get in there without previous VA experience, likely due to the quality of the city itself.

@lord999 , how soon i can apply for jobs to transfers , if I take job with VA. Does local management retaliate if they find out and if i end up not getting job at another VA.

@lord999 , how soon i can apply for jobs to transfers , if I take job with VA. Does local management retaliate if they find out and if i end up not getting job at another VA.
Less than a year is an official black mark and resets a probation clock if this is your first time in service. Yes, and they can prevent both transfers and position changes. Noncompetitive transfers are rare, but competitive changes are normal. Also, they'll know if you're trying for either. I'm quite familiar with retaliation and in your first year, would be a separation without reappointment eligibility.

Also, KC, good luck with that one. You'd have a hard time moving within the VISN except for Leavenworth or Topeka, and VISNs 23 and 12 are going to question any attempted request due to that station being VISN HQ for 15 and also housing VHACO staff if done before career tenure. Keep your nose clean and especially don't get a sexual/gender harassment reputation. I happen to know the Chief really, really hates it as well as the VISN staff who make their homes there.

Less than a year is an official black mark and resets a probation clock if this is your first time in service. Yes, and they can prevent both transfers and position changes. Noncompetitive transfers are rare, but competitive changes are normal. Also, they'll know if you're trying for either. I'm quite familiar with retaliation and in your first year, would be a separation without reappointment eligibility.

Also, KC, good luck with that one. You'd have a hard time moving within the VISN except for Leavenworth or Topeka, and VISNs 23 and 12 are going to question any attempted request due to that station being VISN HQ for 15 and also housing VHACO staff if done before career tenure. Keep your nose clean and especially don't get a sexual/gender harassment reputation. I happen to know the Chief really, really hates it as well as the VISN staff who make their homes there.
Now, I am getting little nervous, hope not to get screwed because this job came out of nowhere and they offered me after just one panel interview. Is it difficult to getting into GS 14 level because that's only next step , I will start at step 10 on grade 13.

Now, I am getting little nervous, hope not to get screwed because this job came out of nowhere and they offered me after just one panel interview. Is it difficult to getting into GS 14 level because that's only next step , I will start at step 10 on grade 13.
14 is typically either associate chief (or chief at a smaller site) or VISN program manager. The VISN jobs are very difficult to get (and typically require that you know the hiring manager). The associate chief jobs may not be as hard to get depending on the site, as not too many people want that kind of responsibility for such a marginal pay increase.

14 is typically either associate chief (or chief at a smaller site) or VISN program manager. The VISN jobs are very difficult to get (and typically require that you know the hiring manager). The associate chief jobs may not be as hard to get depending on the site, as not too many people want that kind of responsibility for such a marginal pay increase.
Thank you, that is very helpful

Wow, I am shocked you were offered a grade 13 and step 10. Are you an expert in the field you were hired to from a non-va institution?