California licensing requirements - 15+ out of school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dred Pirate

Pharmacist
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long story short, I looked into this a while back on this forum- but a new opportunity presented itself that was at least interesting enough to grab my attention.

I graduated 15+ years ago have - in order to get a Cali license I know I have to take the CJPE - one guy at work said I would have to take the NAPLEX since I am 5+ years out- but when I looked at their site it said as long as I took it after January 1, 2004- I didn't (I took it June 2004). But the PDF file referenced on their website was from 2010- so figure I would ask all yall cali experts.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Long story short, I looked into this a while back on this forum- but a new opportunity presented itself that was at least interesting enough to grab my attention.

I graduated 15+ years ago have - in order to get a Cali license I know I have to take the CJPE - one guy at work said I would have to take the NAPLEX since I am 5+ years out- but when I looked at their site it said as long as I took it after January 1, 2004- I didn't (I took it June 2004). But the PDF file referenced on their website was from 2010- so figure I would ask all yall cali experts.

thanks

My mentor had to take it because she graduated in 2002. I think you’ll be able to score transfer from your original license.

thanks

https://www.pharmacy.ca.gov/applicants/cpje_naplex_results_valid.pdf

Has passed the North American Pharmacist Licensure Examination (NAPLEX) on or after January 1, 2004, and holds an active pharmacist license in another state or territory of the United States

Assuming you're licensed in another state, your score is still good.

PS: We're not looking at the same job again are we?

Members don't see this ad :)
https://www.pharmacy.ca.gov/applicants/cpje_naplex_results_valid.pdf

Has passed the North American Pharmacist Licensure Examination (NAPLEX) on or after January 1, 2004, and holds an active pharmacist license in another state or territory of the United States

Assuming you're licensed in another state, your score is still good.

PS: We're not looking at the same job again are we?
different job - this one doesn't require a PGY1 even if you have 15 years experience and a PGY-2 preceptor.

Seems like Cali is always looking for pharmacists - makes me wonder...

Reactions: 1 user
different job - this one doesn't require a PGY1 even if you have 15 years experience and a PGY-2 preceptor.

Seems like Cali is always looking for pharmacists - makes me wonder...

It's pretty hard to pass up California money, particularly if you're currently in a relatively high-cost area. So far, I've been resisting.

It's pretty hard to pass up California money, particularly if you're currently in a relatively high-cost area. So far, I've been resisting.
well- I am in a medium cost area - and the thought of moving across the country with a toddler is less than appealing -so would have to be a great job in a great area

well- I am in a medium cost area - and the thought of moving across the country with a toddler is less than appealing -so would have to be a great job in a great area

If you need a refresher on traffic, smog, the general b!tchiness of people when you're waiting in line at Stabucks, let me know.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
If you need a refresher on traffic, smog, the general b!tchiness of people when you're waiting in line at Stabucks, let me know.
lol- the job is in napa valley area - so I think I miss at least the smog

lol- the job is in napa valley area - so I think I miss at least the smog

I think we are looking at the same job. I lived in Napa for a while. I brought a Los Angeles registered car with me and when the license needed renewing, I couldn't do it in Napa. Los Angeles required a smog test station with rollers that got your car up to a simulated 50 MPH. Napa, being a low smog area only did stationary tests. There was some complicated process for moving the registration to Napa County, but I believe it required me to reregister the car. Fortunately, there's enough smog in nearby Solano County, so I was able to drive to Fairfield to get the correct smog check. I don't know if things have changed, but if you need a cell phone or meth, the Fairfield is also the place for that.

4043307E-0EEF-48A7-A8FA-C649CEA7959A.png

Oh this is definitely Queen. Their pay range on the job listing is $157k (lol don’t do that) to $257k.

Recent leadership turnover, but not a bad place to work. Napa is boring af though, but you get some good food/wine and Bottlerock festival every year.

That peds one at the bottom is probably Packard, they were trying to cold call me with a $15k bonus and were willing to train for PICU candidates with zero peds experience (me). That concerned me a bit, hah.

Reactions: 2 users
Oh this is definitely Queen. Their pay range on the job listing is $157k (lol don’t do that) to $257k.

Recent leadership turnover, but not a bad place to work. Napa is boring af though, but you get some good food/wine and Bottlerock festival every year.

That peds one at the bottom is probably Packard, they were trying to cold call me with a $15k bonus and were willing to train for PICU candidates with zero peds experience (me). That concerned me a bit, hah.
You're way too hard on Napa. There's an In-N-Out. Order the Thomas Keller special (which is just extra crispy fries) and a BYO bottle of zinfandel. Mmmmmn.

You're way too hard on Napa. There's an In-N-Out. Order the Thomas Keller special (which is just extra crispy fries) and a BYO bottle of zinfandel. Mmmmmn.

Pfff, In n Out is for road trips and deciding that McD’s isn’t gonna cut it. Do yourself a favor and go to Gott’s and pick up a kimchi burger, or walk next door into Oxbow and build yourself a picnic of oysters, cheese, and Ritual coffee.

Also, Keller is classic, but he’s been lapped. TFL isn’t top dog anymore.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pfff, In n Out is for road trips and deciding that McD’s isn’t gonna cut it. Do yourself a favor and go to Gott’s and pick up a kimchi burger, or walk next door into Oxbow and build yourself a picnic of oysters, cheese, and Ritual coffee.

You can't compare a $4 burger with a $15 burger and say the $4 burger isn't as good. Besides, Dred Pirate can't afford Gotts. He's selling his McMansion to splurge on this little cutie: 1625 B St, Napa, CA 94559 | realtor.com®

All discretionary income is going to filling the wine cellar.

The Brussels sprouts from Gott’s…

Or a trip to DiBruno Brothers

You can't compare a $4 burger with a $15 burger and say the $4 burger isn't as good. Besides, Dred Pirate can't afford Gotts. He's selling his McMansion to splurge on this little cutie: 1625 B St, Napa, CA 94559 | realtor.com

If he gets top of scale at Queen, he can afford it. Their milkshakes are good, too. But yes, lunch for two at Gott’s set me back $50 last month, lol. Fair point, In N Out wins the flavor per unit dollar battle.

The Brussels sprouts from Gott’s…

Or a trip to DiBruno Brothers

The amount of money I spent at DiBruno Brothers would make any Whole Foods shopper blush.

If he gets top of scale at Queen, he can afford it. Their milkshakes are good, too. But yes, lunch for two at Gott’s set me back $50 last month, lol. Fair point, In N Out wins the flavor per unit dollar battle.
Your lunch partner must not drink like mine. $50 wouldn’t even cover the wine bill.

You can't compare a $4 burger with a $15 burger and say the $4 burger isn't as good. Besides, Dred Pirate can't afford Gotts. He's selling his McMansion to splurge on this little cutie: 1625 B St, Napa, CA 94559 | realtor.com®

lol- that isn't much smaller than my current townhome- I am the cheap guy in our department!

IMG_4587.JPG

Speaking of In N Out, saw this on my run this morning.

IMG_4617.JPG
IMG_4618.JPG
IMG_4619.JPG
IMG_4620.JPG
IMG_4621.JPG

Here’s the food lineup for BR in May if you (or whoever else reading this) gets hired in time for the start of the festival.

I went to BR in… 2017?

It was fun! Town didn’t feel prepared for the crowd though.

Also long story but lost a reservation to Meadowood because of my *****ic job at the time.

Hah nope Napa can’t handle anything, I gotta be careful with traffic flows on BR weekend because it gets ugly, quick. We only did after events and skipped the main festival last year.

One of these days I will splurge for a platinum skybox suite, though. $4500 per person x 2 though, that’s like my annual concert budget in one hit.

Ever go to Sonoma Harvest Music Festival? It’s like, the polar opposite/quiet sibling to BR.

Looked into moving to SoCal back early 2001, even took their convoluted exam (pre-Naplex days). I am glad I didn't pass. California is a wonderful place to visit, as we have extended family in OC, but miserable to live in, making pharmacist money. It's not just housing, but taxes and expenses that are unappealing. I looked at the above home for sale for 1 million. Kind of depressing. This is what you can get in the Suburb of Johns Creek, outside Atlanta, for $1.2 million (down from $1.35 million, in 2022).
100 Sage Run Trl, Johns Creek, GA 30097 | Zillow
Even California money will not put you in a 6890sqft mini-mansion!
Maybe one day, if I work hard enough,AND hit the lottery, I can afford this home.

Hah nope Napa can’t handle anything, I gotta be careful with traffic flows on BR weekend because it gets ugly, quick. We only did after events and skipped the main festival last year.

One of these days I will splurge for a platinum skybox suite, though. $4500 per person x 2 though, that’s like my annual concert budget in one hit.

Ever go to Sonoma Harvest Music Festival? It’s like, the polar opposite/quiet sibling to BR.

We did vip and found it to be worth it - mostly because we did wineries all day and showed up to the festival around dinner time and didn’t have to worry about staking out a spot.