Class of 2024... how you doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is it bad that I’ve already been looking for apartments :thinking:
Where have you decided to attend?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user

Haha totally not! Though I am also waiting to hear from other classmates first. Thought about living alone, but in general I have enjoyed living with roommates in the past and I think it's nicer for my dog to have other people around.

I'm taking a grad trip with a few of my close friends in Asia for a few weeks, then spending one week in Europe touring alone! Super nervous for it (and also the amount of $$ I'll be spending) but I'm SO excited to finally have some time to myself and explore the world while I can :clap:

That's a fantastic idea!!!!

PLEASE TAKE TIME THIS SUMMER TO DO SOME FUN THINGS. DONT TRY AND STUDY AHEAD. ITS NOT WORTH IT.

Haha I was reading past threads on this topic and glad you are all so adamant to remind us of this. When I first submitted my apps I decided to set another long term goal that seemed more obtainable to look forward to this summer, so if I didn't get in I'd have something else to fill my plate. So....I signed up for a mountaineering course. o_O Now a part of me is feeling like I should just save my money, but it's been a lifelong dream of mine and I have no idea when I'll have this opportunity again.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yay c/o 2024!!!! :biglove:

I accepted my seat at VMCVM, my dream school! :love: Yesterday I received my student ID number and set up my school email address! It's the little things.

Also feeling stressed about finding pet friendly housing, the moving process, and losing my income. I'm 32 and have worked since I was 18 so this is crazy to me!
I'm in the same boat! I'm 27 but still, being out of UG for 5 years, I am nervous to be thrown into the fire of a crazy work load!

Reactions: 5 users
First time applicant - mostly likely picking Purdue but waiting to hear back from others I haven'y gotten decisions from/financial packages. It's funny, I applied to Purdue because they didn't take GRE scores or have a supplemental essay, and the vet I shadowed went there, but I fell in love with it when I interviewed! So honored to be accepted! :love:

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
So excited I’m counting down the days until I move to Oregon. Also signed up for a world vets trip to DR! Most of my experience was as a vet assistant or shadowing so I definitely feel behind as far as experience goes compared to other applicants.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey everybody!!! I’m still trying to decide on what school to do to! It’s between Missouri and Tuskegee haha! HELPPP

Got accepted to Tennessee, Ohio State, Texas A&M but still waiting on GA and LMU before making that final decision. Since NJ has no instate cost doesn’t come into play that much. It’s so hard to decide when the schools are so awesome. I’m just finishing up undergrad but physics 2 is the only prereq I’m finishing up. Planning on giving my brain a vacation over the summer before the fun begins!!!!

Reactions: 4 users
Got accepted to Tennessee, Ohio State, Texas A&M but still waiting on GA and LMU before making that final decision. Since NJ has no instate cost doesn’t come into play that much. It’s so hard to decide when the schools are so awesome. I’m just finishing up undergrad but physics 2 is the only prereq I’m finishing up. Planning on giving my brain a vacation over the summer before the fun begins!!!!
Ohio!!!!!
And another East coaster :cool:

Same! Been out only a year, but every time I talked about vet school or me getting in, I always knocked on wood haha. I’m 99% sure the college I’m going to choose, but it’s crazy that we all did it!! No more dreaming peeps, only achieving :clap:
I would knock on wood to and accidentally did it on the desk in one of my interviews when I said "when I become a vet". They all laughed and I got an offer, but I sure felt silly in the moment lol.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm in the same boat! I'm 27 but still, being out of UG for 5 years, I am nervous to be thrown into the fire of a crazy work load!
Just don’t overload yourself with too many extracurriculars at the beginning of the year! I was out of school for a while too and just made sure to not overload myself so I still had a lot of time how to relearn how to study

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Lease signed!
Summer internship for a vet in WV (an hour outside of DC) set!
Trying to accept my seat but the system will not let me do it. Walking over to them today or next week to get it done.
Trying to get through the semester! Immunology is tough! (Cell Bio, Repro, Agricultural Economics and Calving not bad at all so far). I will be glad when the semester is over!

So excited I’m counting down the days until I move to Oregon. Also signed up for a world vets trip to DR! Most of my experience was as a vet assistant or shadowing so I definitely feel behind as far as experience goes compared to other applicants.

We’re going to be classmates!

I’ve been told not to worry too much about experience in comparison to other applicants past this point, you got accepted so what you have done is enough (I mean obviously do more for fun of course!). I only had experience as an assistant/shadowing.

Ahhhh!!! I’m in the same boat!! I’m turning 30 this year and I’ve had such a cushy job the last 8 years—I’m so nervous to have to start budgeting my savings to last me 4 years.
I keep an emergency fund that I don't touch, just in case. Also if you're not paying for tuition as well I would recommend just putting all the money toward your first year tuition instead of trying to live on it for four years. To each their own of course but it'll help with the need based aid in the future too.

As a fellow OOS peep, it still does, actually more in some cases. Take care to look at OOS tuition and fees between the schools and living expenses. Ask current students what they spend on rent and utilities. Good luck!

I’ve been told not to worry too much about experience in comparison to other applicants past this point, you got accepted so what you have done is enough (I mean obviously do more for fun of course!). I only had experience as an assistant/shadowing.

Yep. You guys will be fine. :) I definitely picked up the bulk of my clinical skills while in vet school, from both vet assistant type roles and while on clinics.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm probably the odd ball out here, but I accepted my seat at UCD Dublin In Ireland! 2024 can't come soon enough! Congrats to all of C/O 2024! We are finally doing this!!

Reactions: 10 users
I'm probably the odd ball out here, but I accepted my seat at UCD Dublin In Ireland! 2024 can't come soon enough! Congrats to all of C/O 2024! We are finally doing this!!
Congrats!! It'll be so exciting living abroad :D

I am seriously considering Dublin, I'm deciding between WSU and CSU! If I can figure out all the details and how to make Dublin work I will be there too!

Reactions: 7 users
Woot woot!! Booked flights to see my husband before I start vet school (he's stationed overseas and we're meeting in Greece!). Also found a place to live in Virginia and will be signing the lease on Tuesday! The next 5 months are going to be a whirlwind between selling our house, the trip to Greece, and moving to Virginia :eek:
Just hoping my husband can make it home for the white coat ceremony in August. He also put in his choices for orders (all within 8 hours of VMCVM) so now we pray and wait.
I think my stress may be higher now than it was during the September/October/November application waiting period :eek:

We're doing this guysssssss!!!! :love:

• Love
Reactions: 20 users
Hey everybody!!! I’m still trying to decide on what school to do to! It’s between Missouri and Tuskegee haha! HELPPP

Have you heard back from Tuskegee? I’m still waiting to hear from them and UGA

I want to do this too, but I'm still waiting on my in-state wait list because tuition between that and the OOS I've been accepted to are considerable...but I hate the idea of waiting too long (like getting accepted off wait-list in August after making all the plans for OOS)... :confused:

• Wow
Hey, this time last year I had already found and signed for an apartment. It varies from city to city. In Philly, February is already late to be looking. In many other cities, most people look a couple months before move-in.

Reactions: 2 users

Hey! I'm thinking of accepting my seat to Ireland as well. Are you interested in mixed animal medicine? I'm worried about the concentration on agriculture and not getting enough small animal experience

Hey! I'm thinking of accepting my seat to Ireland as well. Are you interested in mixed animal medicine? I'm worried about the concentration on agriculture and not getting enough small animal experience
Hey! I most likely will be small animal! I believe They have a set amount of time for clinical year for each animal group and small animal is the largest portion. Either way, we can focus our education at some point I believe. I'm touring the school tomorrow so I'll ask a ton of questions!

I am seriously considering Dublin, I'm deciding between WSU and CSU! If I can figure out all the details and how to make Dublin work I will be there too!
Honestly, I'm here right now touring the area, it's AMAZING and a once in a lifetime opportunity. You should come!

Honestly, I'm here right now touring the area, it's AMAZING and a once in a lifetime opportunity. You should come!

message me when you're done touring! i'd love to hear what you have to say!

After 4 application cycles, I finally did it! Attending KSU, still have to send my deposit though :p
It also makes me feel better to see “older” people on here bc I’m 26 & was worried I was gonna be the old lady of vet school :D

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 26 users
After 4 application cycles, I finally did it! Attending KSU, still have to send my deposit though :p
It also makes me feel better to see “older” people on here bc I’m 26 & was worried I was gonna be the old lady of vet school :D

I feel ya! I'm 27 (non-trad, got an MPH, and have been working in state public health service) and I'm always relieved to see another *mature* student haha! Congratulations!!!!

I feel ya! I'm 27 (non-trad, got an MPH, and have been working in state public health service) and I'm always relieved to see another *mature* student haha! Congratulations!!!!
I'll be 30 by the time classes start! ...took me a while to get here but I'm still chugging along!

• Love
I'll be 30 by the time classes start! ...took me a while to get here but I'm still chugging along!
I’m 32. I color my hair to cover the grays and already had a major hip surgery. And I go to bed by 9 :oldman:

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 14 users
I’m 32. I color my hair to cover the grays and already had a major hip surgery. And I go to bed by 9 :oldman:
I’ll be 29 when classes start! I’m glad to see there are others, I was worried about being the old lady in class:laugh:

• Love
I will be 27 when classes start :)

edited to add that it's still pretty weird to say that I'm no longer a teenager lol

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 12 users
I’ll be 29 when classes start! I’m glad to see there are others, I was worried about being the old lady in class:laugh:
Same here! I’ll be 30 and am excited to see/meet other non-trads! ;)

• Love
27 here, too! Wondering how the hell my 10pm bedtime and energy of a 50 year old will come into play in vet school :lol:

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
I think its actually amazing there's so many of us past 25! Makes me feel a little better about the journey to get here :)

Reactions: 14 users
I’m a second year and I have a classmate that is 56 years old

Reactions: 9 users
Also a bit older, just turned 28! This is a second career for me as well. It’s taken the last five years to make the switch but I’m so glad I did.

Happy to see so many different ages represented here!

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
:whistle: Leap Year baby here!! I'm just over here sittin' pretty on my fountain of youth haha. Tomorrow I turn 7!! :soexcited:

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 22 users
I may or may not have just ordered Virginia Tech bandanas for my dogs :whoa:

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
I may or may not have just ordered Virginia Tech bandanas for my dogs :whoa:
I was already looking at a jersey and collar for mine! I’m bummed about turning down Auburn, but my black pitbull will look better in red haha

• Love
Over 30 crew here, have countdown for social security on wall :D.

• Haha