Class of 2021 . . . how ya doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm five years out, almost a year into ER work and def don't have benadryl doses memorized
For the sake of my sanity, the only meds I'm going to purposely memorize are epi and atropine. Otherwise, Plumbs it is

Members don't see this ad.

For the sake of my sanity, the only meds I'm going to purposely memorize are epi and atropine. Otherwise, Plumbs it is
You’ll pick up a bunch pretty quickly just because of constant use even without specifically going to memorize.
The first two weeks of my internship I started a mini plumbs in my case notebook but by like the third week I didn’t need to reference it to remember that clavamox is 13.75mg/kg, pantoprazole is 1 mg/kg, etc. And in GP especially you’ll get used to this size capsule cephalexin for a small dog, this many for a lab, etc. It’ll happen faster than you think.

Edit: We also printed out an emergency drug sheet for every inpatient. It was an excel template on the desktop of every computer. So luckily when cpr was needed most of the time it was already printed and on their cage with all the right doses. For those walk in dying cases it took about the same amount of time to pull it up on the computer than it took to grab a calculator.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Atropine is 1mL/20bs.

Epi is weight in lbs, divide by two, move the decimal point - or just weight in kgs, move decimal... but realistically, I don't do drug calculations for that. Just 0.05mL tiny dog/cat, 0.1mL small dog, 0.2mL slightly bigger dog, 0.3mL medium dog, 0.4mL lab, 0.5mL big big dog.

They're dead. ODing a titch ain't gonna make it worse. :laugh: Half the time they're rushed in and you don't have a real weight anyway, and getting your compressions going is more important anyway.

I'm five years out, almost a year into ER work and def don't have benadryl doses memorized...
We do everything in kg, so lidocaine, atropine, midazolam are move one decimal place. Epi is move two decimal places. My first day in ER, I tried to pull out my phone to calculate a lidocaine dose and got told I wasnt allowed lol

Members don't see this ad :)
We do everything in kg, so lidocaine, atropine, midazolam are move one decimal place. Epi is move two decimal places. My first day in ER, I tried to pull out my phone to calculate a lidocaine dose and got told I wasnt allowed lol
Not allowed?? I know it’s 2mg/kg but not being able to use a calculator to me feels like a one way ticket to seriously miscalculating dosages, especially when you’re tired

Reactions: 1 user
Not allowed?? I know it’s 2mg/kg but not being able to use a calculator to me feels like a one way ticket to seriously miscalculating dosages, especially when you’re tired

I think the point he was making is that if you really need those in an emergency, don't waste the time getting out a calculator because a 25kg dog is going to get 2.5mL of lidocaine.

Obviously plenty of drugs dont have simple math that you can do in your head but luckily a lot of the emergency ones do!

I think the point he was making is that if you really need those in an emergency, don't waste the time getting out a calculator because a 25kg dog is going to get 2.5mL of lidocaine.

Obviously plenty of drugs dont have simple math that you can do in your head but luckily a lot of the emergency ones do!
I’m always terrified of memorizing kg/ mL because I feel like as soon as I do, they’re going to change the concentration. Which is probably an irrational fear

I’m always terrified of memorizing kg/ mL because I feel like as soon as I do, they’re going to change the concentration. Which is probably an irrational fear
Yeah that’s true. Atropine in particular comes in a couple of common different concentrations. Doesn’t matter so much with cpr… but if you’re just treating for bradycardia or av block, then it kinda matters a lil more.

Reactions: 1 users
So class of 2021... how is being a real vet going?

I'm nosy.
I just got my license a little over a week ago after much nagging of my state board. I was out of the state doing shelter consultations all last week so technically didn't practice veterinary medicine up there as I am not licensed, but it was awesome and a lot of fun being a doctor and giving recommendations for shelter flow and general population management. I got a lot of compliments on my communication skills too and overall learned a ton. I'm starting on some TNR clinics this weekend so I'll hopefully eventually get quicker at whipping out reproductive organs lol

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users
I might have to start doing this.
I literally sent them a message that was basically "Since you appear incapable of receiving XYZ items here is a photocopy of one and a certified copy of another attached in this email" and they gave me my license two days later lol

If you're back in your home state I would call and confirm they got your transcripts and NAVLE score, they have been a little notorious for losing both and not telling you until you ask. If they lost NAVLE score, contact the NAVLE people, they will raise absolute hell over it and you don't have to pay to send it again. Transcripts are trickier, I know somebody a couple years ago who literally drove their transcripts to hand in in person and got their license the fastest of everybody lol

I didn't have any issue getting my license but accreditation is taking forever and I'm not allowed give canine rabies vaccines without it so that's been wildly inconvenient given the frequency of patients who need them.

I didn't have any issue getting my license but accreditation is taking forever and I'm not allowed give canine rabies vaccines without it so that's been wildly inconvenient given the frequency of patients who need them.
Interesting you can't give rabies without it, is that a requirement in your state or are your rabies appts just usually attached to health certs? I can't write health certs atm but could rabies vaccinate. Individual state laws are such a headache.

Interesting you can't give rabies without it, is that a requirement in your state or are your rabies appts just usually attached to health certs? I can't write health certs atm but could rabies vaccinate. Individual state laws are such a headache.

Yeah, it's a state thing. And a very annoying state thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're back in your home state I would call and confirm they got your transcripts and NAVLE score, they have been a little notorious for losing both and not telling you until you ask.
The only thing I'm missing is the transcript stuff. I emailed them this morning saying that my school mailed them on the 16th and asked if they could verify they received them. The response was they'll get to me when they get to me -_-

I just got my license a little over a week ago after much nagging of my state board. I was out of the state doing shelter consultations all last week so technically didn't practice veterinary medicine up there as I am not licensed, but it was awesome and a lot of fun being a doctor and giving recommendations for shelter flow and general population management. I got a lot of compliments on my communication skills too and overall learned a ton. I'm starting on some TNR clinics this weekend so I'll hopefully eventually get quicker at whipping out reproductive organs lol

I was really impressed how quickly I got my license. I submitted my paperwork prior to graduation, but they then granted it the day after graduation. I definitely have had friends in different states with much different (slower) processes.

Yeah that’s true. Atropine in particular comes in a couple of common different concentrations. Doesn’t matter so much with cpr… but if you’re just treating for bradycardia or av block, then it kinda matters a lil more.

Yeah I'm very specifically talking about CPR.

I was really impressed how quickly I got my license. I submitted my paperwork prior to graduation, but they then granted it the day after graduation. I definitely have had friends in different states with much different (slower) processes.
I knew a couple people who got it super fast, but still had the delay for us as they didn't officially confer the degree on our transcripts until like a week and a half after graduation

I knew a couple people who got it super fast, but still had the delay for us as they didn't officially confer the degree on our transcripts until like a week and a half after graduation

Oh that's super annoying

Texas’s license processing times are absolutely ridiculous right now. I decided right after graduation that I wanted to go ahead and apply for a Texas license because there’s a clinic that’s willing to pay me to relief whenever I’m home visiting family. So I applied and there’s a minimum 45 day processing period to be allowed to take the exam. I applied mid May and still haven’t heard back.

My friend was supposed to start July and she applied like a week before me. She asked what she could do bc she’s supposed to start on July 1st and they said “well you shouldn’t have accepted a start date, it’s not our problem”

she passed her test last Friday but STILL can’t practice until TBVMA mails her a paper copy of her license. Only then can she practice as a vet

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 4 users
Texas’s license processing times are absolutely ridiculous right now. I decided right after graduation that I wanted to go ahead and apply for a Texas license because there’s a clinic that’s willing to pay me to relief whenever I’m home visiting family. So I applied and there’s a minimum 45 day processing period to be allowed to take the exam. I applied mid May and still haven’t heard back.

My friend was supposed to start July and she applied like a week before me. She asked what she could do bc she’s supposed to start on July 1st and they said “well you shouldn’t have accepted a start date, it’s not our problem”

she passed her test last Friday but STILL can’t practice until TBVMA mails her a paper copy of her license. Only then can she practice as a vet
TBVMA still hasn't sent us that graduated from A&M 6 weeks ago our actual paper copies of the license. They did send a letter of authorization via email so we could practice so there is that at least. We have a doctor in our practice that moved from Tufts and was having a horrible time getting the TBVMA to process her application to take the exam. Finally my boss had to call up there himself and lo and behold they sent her authorization to take the exam two days later. It's a mess.

This unfortunately sounds like Texas, as someone who's lived there most of my life at least. Last time I had to get something as simple as a driver's license there it took me three tries over two weeks to get them to do it.

How's the test, those of you who've taken it? I may end up back that way in a few years and I'm curious

This unfortunately sounds like Texas, as someone who's lived there most of my life at least. Last time I had to get something as simple as a driver's license there it took me three tries over two weeks to get them to do it.

How's the test, those of you who've taken it? I may end up back that way in a few years and I'm curious

For us, and the year above us, the test was open note/book/resource. All of the questions come from the legal readings they have available for download. While the 100 T/F questions took some time, I don't know of anyone who had difficulty passing.

For us, and the year above us, the test was open note/book/resource. All of the questions come from the legal readings they have available for download. While the 100 T/F questions took some time, I don't know of anyone who had difficulty passing.
Interesting. Is the open note bit a COVID change or just a recent permanent change?

I can still practice, I just have to run things by other docs first. Makes me less efficient but it is what it is

• Care

Yes! My mentor was doing a locum and needed a texas license and despite applying months ahead of time she got her license two days after she got there.

Last edited:
Interesting. Is the open note bit a COVID change or just a recent permanent change?

It was initially started as a COVID change for C/O 2020, but from what I've heard I think it will be a permanent change.

Started my lab animal residency last week! Still can't believe it's real and I'm still so happy to be here. It's a bit overwhelming figuring everything out but hoping I can get a handle on things by the end of the month when I start taking over cases.

• Love
Reactions: 16 users
Hey fam. Anyone have any suggestions on holistic veterinary resources? I have a new client that is trying to be as holistic as possible. Like, still does vaccines, but wants to limit pharmacology as much as possible. Doggo is a husky thing that's itchy. I have some suggestions, but want to pick and choose battles so that when this kid actually needs pharmacology in the future, the owners will be more game.

Hey fam. Anyone have any suggestions on holistic veterinary resources? I have a new client that is trying to be as holistic as possible. Like, still does vaccines, but wants to limit pharmacology as much as possible. Doggo is a husky thing that's itchy. I have some suggestions, but want to pick and choose battles so that when this kid actually needs pharmacology in the future, the owners will be more game.
Can try diet Hill's Derm defense or complete depending on source or allergies. Can do fish oil/Vit E. Probably going to need drugs initially though as everything holistic takes at least 4-6 wks to start having effect.

Reactions: 3 users
Can try diet Hill's Derm defense or complete depending on source or allergies. Can do fish oil/Vit E. Probably going to need drugs initially though as everything holistic takes at least 4-6 wks to start having effect.
Agreed. High dose fish oil, maybe consider zinc supplementation since we're a husky, but honestly I turf people who want to be holistic to a holistic vet sooo fast it'd make your head spin.

I was definitely going to check into diet trials for these folks for sure. It sounds like they've tried cytopoint previously with little effect. But looking into other meds to start and then going to the lowest effective dose may be something they're game for.

I was definitely going to check into diet trials for these folks for sure. It sounds like they've tried cytopoint previously with little effect. But looking into other meds to start and then going to the lowest effective dose may be something they're game for.
Yeah, I've found with these guys too that sometimes it's not that the anti-pruritics don't work so much as their itch was really out of control or they had secondary factors that are also itchy (like Malassezia) that weren't adequately addressed when they started the other meds. Sometimes they need a hard reset with therapy for secondary infections and something aggressive to tamp down the itch right away before starting them on apoquel/cytopoint. Tough when you have clients who don't want to do a lot of meds. Do you think the dog might have any evidence of cocci or yeast on cytology? You might be able to talk owners into something topical at least if they don't think of shampooing or wipes as being as "medical" as oral or injectable meds

Do you think the dog might have any evidence of cocci or yeast on cytology?
Not sure, but I'll offer to do a skin scrapping of the most severely affected areas when they're in again in the next few weeks (spacing vaccines out).
You might be able to talk owners into something topical at least if they don't think of shampooing or wipes as being as "medical" as oral or injectable meds
They are absolutely down for this.

Not sure, but I'll offer to do a skin scrapping of the most severely affected areas when they're in again in the next few weeks (spacing vaccines out).

They are absolutely down for this.
Try some tape and ear cytologies too! I always check feet and ears and then if they point out a particular target area for licking/scratching or I see alopecia or signs of skin changes I'll tape those spots too

A week and a half into my internship and I’m fully convinced that I fooled admin into letting a complete idiot into their hospital.

• Care
Reactions: 8 users
Some patients I’m like “hehe yeah I’m a doctor I learned **** in vet school! Go me!”

and then there’s cases where I’m like “what cause the syncope? … the… heart?”

Reactions: 3 users
Well that's *****ic

Edit: wait what
According to this study I made in childlike curiosity, I listed every possibly bad word I could think of. M0ron is on the banned word list, but bitch isn’t.

Bitch
Poop
Ass
Butt
Mother****er

• Haha
Some patients I’m like “hehe yeah I’m a doctor I learned **** in vet school! Go me!”

Dude yes, almost back to back some days. Thankfully it helps to have clinicians be willing and able to straight up tell you if you're being an idiot because (at least for me) that means when they say **** like "you're absolutely killing it" or "you did really well with that" you have no choice but to believe them.

Long sentence for the simple truth: believe people when they tell you you're doing a good job.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Dude yes, almost back to back some days. Thankfully it helps to have clinicians be willing and able to straight up tell you if you're being an idiot because (at least for me) that means when they say **** like "you're absolutely killing it" or "you did really well with that" you have no choice but to believe them.

Long sentence for the simple truth: believe people when they tell you you're doing a good job.
My clinicians haven’t told me straight that I’m being an idiot so that either means I’m not being an idiot (unlikely) or they’re lying! They do a really good job of redirecting me though whenever I get too small picture and need to re-expand my thoughts!

But whenever I get compliments it feels like a trap. Like I’ll accept your compliment, but did I earn it? Is it legitimate? Tbd

I will say, the random pieces of information just randomly stored in my brain to come tumbling out in a moment of word association is always delightfully confusing.

• Haha
My clinicians haven’t told me straight that I’m being an idiot so that either means I’m not being an idiot (unlikely) or they’re lying! They do a really good job of redirecting me though whenever I get too small picture and need to re-expand my thoughts!

But whenever I get compliments it feels like a trap. Like I’ll accept your compliment, but did I earn it? Is it legitimate? Tbd

I will say, the random pieces of information just randomly stored in my brain to come tumbling out in a moment of word association is always delightfully confusing.
Delightfully confusing yes, but you do know it. Just trust me you haven't been a complete idiot. You have to trust them, just take the compliment lol.

• Care
  • Love

I feel the exact same way and I haven't even taken a case yet. We've only done training for the first week, learning the software and the flow of everything.

This last two weeks has been a real struggle. Working with really good, amazing people is so hard, because how the hell did I think I can do what they do?

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
This last two weeks has been a real struggle. Working with really good, amazing people is so hard, because how the hell did I think I can do what they do?
@Trilt sent me a lovely meme about this and it’s been my mantra!

3F9AE316-2C8D-472A-8796-5AC969665EA3.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: 4 users