Class of 2020 - HPSP Scholarship Applicants (Navy/Army/Air Force)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I assume you'll be paying for my school fees? Thanks comrade!

No, everyone here is paying for your school fees.

My school did not receive my tuition payment until October. Once the agreement between the school and the Navy is in place to pay that tuition, you will be all set.

Reactions: 1 users
No, everyone here is paying for your school fees.

My school did not receive my tuition payment until October. Once the agreement between the school and the Navy is in place to pay that tuition, you will be all set.

Thank you for the response, that is what I was wondering.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can confirm. Mil is usually "late" with their payment anyways.
The fin aid office has experience dealing with this. Rest assure that you aren't their first HPSP student. As long as you let your school know, it'd be fine. Nothing you can do on the mil side to commission earlier.

Reactions: 1 user
Is it typical to have a 1.5-2 hour meeting with a person to go over background check documents and whatnot? Got a call to set up a meeting to do so, wondering if it's common or not.

I believe so, at least for the Navy. Unfortunately, it stated I cannot swear in until after school starts. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do in this case? I have already e-mailed my school.
Hey when were you selected?

Anyone know how the HPSP works for University of the Pacific's 3 year DDS program?

I believe so, at least for the Navy. Unfortunately, it stated I cannot swear in until after school starts. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do in this case? I have already e-mailed my school.

Try calling the Navy HPSP Office?

I commission after I graduate college. So I will commission in May before school starts in August. Final Select letter is not your scroll. Final select letter is your formality letter that says congratulations you got the scholarship. Scroll and service agreement are different, and I as I said before they take a while to get approved. If you are HPSP, it doesn't make sense for you to commission after school starts.

Its possible your final select letter had a typo haha. Mine did for my graduation date, I called my recruiter and asked and he said it was just an accident because they recycle the letters from year to year and just change the name and date (and they forgot to change the date on mine haha). It really doesn't matter what the final select letter says, all that matters is what is on your service agreement, the select letter is a formality.

Its possible your final select letter had a typo haha. Mine did for my graduation date, I called my recruiter and asked and he said it was just an accident because they recycle the letters from year to year and just change the name and date (and they forgot to change the date on mine haha). It really doesn't matter what the final select letter says, all that matters is what is on your service agreement, the select letter is a formality.

This actually makes a lot of sense, considering mine had a typo as well...

Thanks for the input everyone

Members don't see this ad :)
@customx @BobbyBeavis @BruceWayne2332 quick question for you all- when you went through MEPS, they did something called a "med read" where they looked over your medical history before calling you in. Do you know how long the med read took in each of your cases? I'm looking online and some people say it can take 6-8 months which has to be wrong right?

@customx @BobbyBeavis @BruceWayne2332 quick question for you all- when you went through MEPS, they did something called a "med read" where they looked over your medical history before calling you in. Do you know how long the med read took in each of your cases? I'm looking online and some people say it can take 6-8 months which has to be wrong right?

From doing searches online, a lot of the postings do not seem to follow the same timeline as health students. I tried to look up my previous conversations, and it looks like my med read took about 2-4 weeks, and I had some medical documents that needed to be submitted

From doing searches online, a lot of the postings do not seem to follow the same timeline as health students. I tried to look up my previous conversations, and it looks like my med read took about 2-4 weeks, and I had some medical documents that needed to be submitted

Jeez 4 weeks? Wow. Thanks for the response!

I received the unofficial acceptance on February 16th and received the Final Select letter via email this morning, March 21st.
I was accepted in January. I still haven't received my acceptance letter yet...
Have you already graduated undergrad?

Anyone else waiting on a Med Review from AMEDD? Was selected on 16 February but still waiting on a waiver. Any idea how long that can take?

I was accepted in January. I still haven't received my acceptance letter yet...
Have you already graduated undergrad?

Yes but I do not think that's the reason I received my letter. Have you been in contact with your recruiter?

Yeah I am.
I was told to wait for my final select letter in January as well, still haven't heard from my recruiter. He just keeps telling me to wait. I might contact him in the next few days just to make sure but congress is very slow.

Just got the final select letter for NAVY. So excited aaaaahhhh!!!!

Reactions: 6 users
Anybody know someone or hear of someone who experienced the misfortune of being told they were selected over and over and yet never actually got the final select letter?

I mean... I'm not one for counting the chickens before they hatch and I'm not a gambling man, but for those fretting the final select, unless this is common, I would say don't stress yourself out too much. If you were told you are a select, I imagine the circumstances would need to be extraordinary for you to not actually get the opportunity.

For those waiting on a waiver, my Army recruiter told me it can take anywhere from 45-90 days. Not sure if it's the same process for the navy. Mine finally got approved last week!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Anybody know someone or hear of someone who experienced the misfortune of being told they were selected over and over and yet never actually got the final select letter?

I mean... I'm not one for counting the chickens before they hatch and I'm not a gambling man, but for those fretting the final select, unless this is common, I would say don't stress yourself out too much. If you were told you are a select, I imagine the circumstances would need to be extraordinary for you to not actually get the opportunity.
Again, the final select letter is essentially meaningless. Just like D-School. They call you and say "you have been selected for the class of 2020." You get a congratulations letter in the mail. The final select letter is the congratulations letter in the mail. What matters is scroll approval, and service agreement. The final select letter is a piece of paper that says "congrats!" As you said if you have received the phone call that you have been selected, then you have been selected. I made this mistake hounding my recruiter for the final select letter. It's literally a form letter they recycle every year, but change the name and address on the top and the date of graduation. To anyone who hasn't received it and was selected, I wouldn't even stress about it. I am sure if someone were to screw up real bad before signing the service agreement they could lose it, but it has nothing to do with the final select letter, since the letter is not a binding contract.

Reactions: 2 users
Is it required to send an official DAT score report to your dental recruiter or would a scan copy of the sheet that was given on the exam day work?

Is it true that you can not apply for the HPSP unless you are within 3 months of graduation?? My Navy recruiter told me that I can only apply once I am within 3 months of my graduation date which is June next year

Is it true that you can not apply for the HPSP unless you are within 3 months of graduation?? My Navy recruiter told me that I can only apply once I am within 3 months of my graduation date which is June next year
Not true at all. I am graduating this May and I started my application last September.

Is it required to send an official DAT score report to your dental recruiter or would a scan copy of the sheet that was given on the exam day work?
I believe they want an official score report. I asked my recuiters the same thing, and they said they wanted the official score. I'm sure you could ask your recruiter just to double check though.

Not true at all. I am graduating this May and I started my application last September.

That is great news! haha I was getting worried. Also is it a problem that I am graduating june next year for dental schools? They don't care do they? I recently just found out that I will graduate June. My school sucks and doesn't offer Phys II until next year spring semester.

So can the official report only be done within 3 months of graduation? Is that where my recruiter got that information?

That is great news! haha I was getting worried. Also is it a problem that I am graduating june next year for dental schools? They don't care do they? I recently just found out that I will graduate June. My school sucks and doesn't offer Phys II until next year spring semester.

No, they won't care at all. Some students don't even have all of the prerequisite courses completed by the time they find out on December 1st.

So can the official report only be done within 3 months of graduation? Is that where my recruiter got that information?
Nope, you don't need to worry about that either. Again, I'm graduating this May and I took the DAT in August. Then, I gave them the official score report in September. I'm not sure why your recruiter told you that, he/she may be misinformed.

Also, let this be an early warning to you. If this current recruiter is already making stuff up like this (intentionally or not), you may want to look for another recruiter. I didn't heed the early warning signs of a misinformed recruiter, and my Navy application got pushed back 3 months as a result. Not to sound drastic, but just food for thought.

Last edited:

I believe there are a couple of dental schools (Michigan and others) that start in late May or early June, so make sure you don't apply to those schools.

It worked for me. I don't even know where to get an official report haha. I mean I guess from the AADSAS application where the score was uploaded by ADA. A scanned copy of my unofficial report that I received the day I took the DAT is what they asked for.

It worked for me. I don't even know where to get an official report haha. I mean I guess from the AADSAS application where the score was uploaded by ADA. A scanned copy of my unofficial report that I received the day I took the DAT is what they asked for

Guess it depends on your recruiter, I believe most (mine included) require an official score report to apply for the scholarship. It wouldn't be the worst idea to order an official score report now so you'll have one at the ready just in case.

It takes like 3 weeks and I believe $30 to send official report.

It worked for me. I don't even know where to get an official report haha. I mean I guess from the AADSAS application where the score was uploaded by ADA. A scanned copy of my unofficial report that I received the day I took the DAT is what they asked for.
You can order an official score report from the same ADA website you used to register for the DAT.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Navy didn't require "official" while Army did.

It takes like 3 weeks and I believe $30 to send official report.

You can order an official score report from the same ADA website you used to register for the DAT.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

@InformMe123 Like these guys said - go here (you'll need your DENTPIN and password): https://dts.ada.org/ExamApps/schoolselect.aspx

Then you don't have to select any schools on that page, you can just click continue. On the next page, you can add an alternate address (here, you'll put the address of whatever recruiter you're sending it to). Hope this helps.

Don't pay for the official report! Make your recruiter pay for it. They have budgets for that stuff

Just got my selection letter for the Navy HPSP! Will commission August 1st at the earliest, which kinda sucks cause I start dental school in June. But hey, no complaints... This is awesome!

One question I had for everyone on here, what exactly does the Navy pay for? I know they give you tuition and a monthly stipend and even a bonus, but will they pay for loupes? Will they pay for dental materials? Will they pay for a laptop if we are required to have one? I just want to know where they draw the line so I can be prepared!

Just got my selection letter for the Navy HPSP! Will commission August 1st at the earliest, which kinda sucks cause I start dental school in June. But hey, no complaints... This is awesome!

One question I had for everyone on here, what exactly does the Navy pay for? I know they give you tuition and a monthly stipend and even a bonus, but will they pay for loupes? Will they pay for dental materials? Will they pay for a laptop if we are required to have one? I just want to know where they draw the line so I can be prepared!

Congratulations! Well, looks like mostly everyone is commissioning August then! I'll also be on the tuna sandwich diet because I start in July.

They pay for everything the school requires. I believe the only thing they do not pay for is parking pass and the purchase of a laptop. You can, however, rent a laptop if it isn't more than $1500 a year. Someone please correct me if I am wrong!

EDIT: Just to add, I was a little disappointed we wouldn't be provided health insurance through the HPSP program. However, if your school requires it, then it will be paid for :)