Class of 2020 - HPSP Scholarship Applicants (Navy/Army/Air Force)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Waaayyy too late if you want to attend BOLC this summer. You absolutely need to get everything moving as soon as your scroll comes back this includes pre-enrolling on MODS and entering a request to attend BOLC.
How long does it take to recieve a scroll back?

Members don't see this ad.

I will commission once I graduate this coming May.

Way, way too late. There is a bunch of stuff that needs to happen after you oath, and ideally, we want you to get your orders in May. If you want to attend BOLC this summer, you need to start the process now. Get with your recruiter, get oathed, get to www/mods.army.mil/medicaleducation and pre-enroll and request BOLC for this summer.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Way, way too late. There is a bunch of stuff that needs to happen after you oath, and ideally, we want you to get your orders in May. If you want to attend BOLC this summer, you need to start the process now. Get with your recruiter, get oathed, get to www/mods.army.mil/medicaleducation and pre-enroll and request BOLC for this summer.
Thank you for response. I will definitely talk this over with my recruiter. But may I begin this process even though I haven't graduated yet? I explained that to my recruiter previously, but he assumed I wouldn't attend BOLC this summer.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Congrats to all who have been selected for the Army HPSP. As stated many times before, I am not a recruiter, nor do I work for the Recruiting Command.

The Army WANTS you to commission as early as possible (LoA and selected by the board). We want you to attend BOLC before you start Dental School because it is so hard to attend after starting. Please contact your recruiter(s) and tell them as much. If the recruiter has some sort of problem, have him contact the HPSP office, or you are welcome to send me a PM.
Can swear in without your scroll?
My experience with receiving it has been no less than 3 months
My recruiter wouldnt forward without the scroll so I assumed it was crucial to receive it before the ceremony.

My recruiter said that a profile went in for me after being reviewed by the board for Navy HPSP but there are no official papers yet because congress has to approve it first. He makes it sound like I got the scholarship (but can't promise until there are papers), I'm still confused as to what this means. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Thanks!

My recruiter said that a profile went in for me after being reviewed by the board for Navy HPSP but there are no official papers yet because congress has to approve it first. He makes it sound like I got the scholarship (but can't promise until there are papers), I'm still confused as to what this means. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Thanks!

I'm in the same position. Seems like a lot of us are

My scroll was just approved the 19th. When you are pro-recommended for the scholarship, your file goes to congress where it is reviewed for you to receive your scroll to commission. Essentially you got the scholarship, the hardest part (at least from what my recruiter has told me) is getting pro-recommended, and you have already done that. The scroll is just a waiting game, and it usually takes a while from what I have heard.

Where's the "USNavyHPSP" or "USNavyHSCP" equivalent??

Curious - why does Army want people commissioning/swearing in/etc. so quickly while Navy doesn't appear to be stressing it? Any idea why HSCP typically commissions later than HPSP or if my recruiter was just saying things to say them?

Reactions: 1 users
I just want to get my official scroll from the Navy so I know I can turn the army down.

I just want to get my official scroll from the Navy so I know I can turn the army down.

Apparently the army rescinded my acceptance. So now the Navy BETTER come through!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Why did they do that? Did you tell them no?

It's such a long, long story that goes on for months on end. There's been bad blood ever since I told my recruiter that I was also applying Navy, which I disclosed from the get-go. But when it's all said and done, they seemed to only want to give me less than a week to decide if I wanted to accept an 8 year obligation... so I guess I'm happy that's over with.

It's such a long, long story that goes on for months on end. There's been bad blood ever since I told my recruiter that I was also applying Navy, which I disclosed from the get-go. But when it's all said and done, they seemed to only want to give me less than a week to decide if I wanted to accept an 8 year obligation... so I guess I'm happy that's over with.

you made the right choice :)

Curious - why does Army want people commissioning/swearing in/etc. so quickly while Navy doesn't appear to be stressing it? Any idea why HSCP typically commissions later than HPSP or if my recruiter was just saying things to say them?

HSCP people enlist later because they don't want you to get the salary until school starts... However they still swore me in a month before so I got an extra 1 month of salary..

I honestly think the knowledge doesn't stick very well if you do it before school - and a lot of people do it during school as well.

I know I cant commission until I turn in my final transcripts, I know this is true for all others who were accepted into Navy HPSP who haven't graduated yet. Maybe Army has different requirements regarding the commission date.

Just curious, anyone else going to a Texas school on the scholarship?

Curious - why does Army want people commissioning/swearing in/etc. so quickly while Navy doesn't appear to be stressing it? [/QUOTE

Because the Army is moving toward officer training BEFORE dental school. Starting next year there are going to be additional requirements and in an attempt to keep the reporting dates to AEGD and first duty station as they are now we are trying to get as many to officer training as early as possible starting this year.

Can swear in without your scroll?
My experience with receiving it has been no less than 3 months
My recruiter wouldnt forward without the scroll so I assumed it was crucial to receive it before the ceremony.

You must be scrolled prior to swearing an oath or signing the HPSP contract.

Wait so did the Army withdraw their offer before the 1 week was up, or did you decline it?

If you expressed that you aren't interested, ofc they will "rescind" your offer and give it to someone else. What did you expect? Hello, you rejected their offer

If you expressed that you aren't interested, ofc they will "rescind" your offer and give it to someone else. What did you expect? Hello, you rejected their offer

Not once did I state I wasn't interested. If I wasn't interested... Why would I apply? When I tell them I want to hear results from the boards before making a branch decision and am then told I had 24-48 hours to decide, that's just ridiculous.

Not once did I state I wasn't interested. If I wasn't interested... Why would I apply? When I tell them I want to hear results from the boards before making a branch decision and am then told I had 24-48 hours to decide, that's just ridiculous.

Yeah you were really really excited when you got it. You'd been waiting for it for so long. I was shocked at the suggestion that you'd turn it down like that.

So just to be clear - they offered you the scholarship, and then immediately rescinded it, without you saying you are not interested/rejecting it?

Last edited:
Yeah you were really really excited when you got it. You'd been waiting for it for so long. I was shocked at the suggestion that you'd turn it down like that.

So just to be clear - they offered you the scholarship, and then immediately rescinded it, without you saying you are not interested/rejecting it?

For the weeks leading up to it, I was getting periodic phone calls asking on hypothetical situations as to what would happen if I received both scholarships. I told them I would have to sit down and think about my decision, just as I did with dental schools.

The days leading up to the boards, I'm getting an insane amount of messages basically saying if I get accepted to the army first they want me to sign right away. I continued to say that I would have to think about my decision.

Tuesday, I get pro-rec from Navy and then Army calls saying I'm in. Army is saying they want me to sign papers THAT DAY. I continued to say that I wanted results from Navy before I decide. He told me I had until the end of the day to decide. I get off work and have 8 missed calls, 3 voicemails, and 5 messages. I held my stance for the week, and they kept pushing this imaginary deadline back until they ultimately said they rescinded it.

For the weeks leading up to it, I was getting periodic phone calls asking on hypothetical situations as to what would happen if I received both scholarships. I told them I would have to sit down and think about my decision, just as I did with dental schools.

The days leading up to the boards, I'm getting an insane amount of messages basically saying if I get accepted to the army first they want me to sign right away. I continued to say that I would have to think about my decision.

Tuesday, I get pro-rec from Navy and then Army calls saying I'm in. Army is saying they want me to sign papers THAT DAY. I continued to say that I wanted results from Navy before I decide. He told me I had until the end of the day to decide. I get off work and have 8 missed calls, 3 voicemails, and 5 messages. I held my stance for the week, and they kept pushing this imaginary deadline back until they ultimately said they rescinded it.

Ouch. Well, at least you have pro-rec from the Navy!

FWIW, I'm also getting these hypothetical scenarios thrown at me- so I'm just replying letting them know that I like what each branch has to offer and I'll sign with whoever gives me an offer first. Based on my conversations with military dentists across all three branches, I've found that most of the people in each branch are happy with their decision and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Ouch. Well, at least you have pro-rec from the Navy!

FWIW, I'm also getting these hypothetical scenarios thrown at me- so I'm just replying letting them know that I like what each branch has to offer and I'll sign with whoever gives me an offer first. Honestly, based on all the military dentists I have spoken with across all branches, most of the people in each branch are happy with their decision and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Yeah, I hope a future applicant reading this will just learn that applying to multiple branches is certainly not worth it. Perhaps I was stuck with shady recruiters, but I would never in a million years put myself through that situation again

Yeah, I hope a future applicant reading this will just learn that applying to multiple branches is certainly not worth it. Perhaps I was stuck with shady recruiters, but I would never in a million years put myself through that situation again
I almost did the same when I was applying. I heard it was a very bad idea and didn't thank goodness. It's the military haha, they do what they want. Hope it works out for you

What done was done and I am not here to chastise you for how you handle your situation. Your recruiter probably handled that poorly, but I just want to elaborate from his point of view that you did not give him many options either.
Understand that you aren't rescinded by the Army HPSP board as much as you broke off relationship with your liaison. The board didn't set the deadline; he set the deadline because he's the one that's going to have to submit your paperwork towards congress for scroll approval. But he has likely working with other applicants too. And honestly how long do you expect him to wait for you?

When someone asks you what you plan to do and you say "i am waiting on it", I am just going to say that it is not very confidence provoking. I am sure you have your reason for taking your time to make your decision, but I will just say that personally I wouldn't need this much time. I applied to multiple branches and I already knew in my mind which ones I preferred. I researched each branch well before I ever gotten my acceptance letter (and I am sure you did too). I applied to multiple branches to hedge with my chances, and I am not the first applicant to do that and your recruiter wasn't born yesterday. The point at which you receive a LoA for either branch presents no new information for you because you already know the details of your contract. Considering that last year the army handed out acceptance before the navy did, I am sure there were applicants who just kept on waiting and waiting until they ultimately bailed their recruiter when navy results came out. Your indecisiveness to give your recruiter a clear answer signals to him that's what you have in mind as well. It's not your fault, but that's how this system is played.

You wouldn't apply to only one dental school either, would you?
Considering the number of people here who applied to only one branch and didn't get accepted, i am just going to go out on a whim and say that your advise is ill-advised.
Now you can say whatever you want because you did get accepted to both branches. But be sensitive to the people here who are on OML

it is absolutely worth it. You have any idea how hard it is go get HPSP from ANY branches? let alone two of them. People SHOULD be applying to all branches to MAXIMIZE their chances. You were just one of the lucky ones who got both... almost exactly the same time and got to pick

Congrats to all who have been selected for the Army HPSP. As stated many times before, I am not a recruiter, nor do I work for the Recruiting Command.

The Army WANTS you to commission as early as possible (LoA and selected by the board). We want you to attend BOLC before you start Dental School because it is so hard to attend after starting. Please contact your recruiter(s) and tell them as much. If the recruiter has some sort of problem, have him contact the HPSP office, or you are welcome to send me a PM.

I've heard mixed signals from my recruiter and from an Army Dentist. On the one hand, if you get it done this summer, you can start your residency/tour as soon as you've graduated.

On the other, I've been told that it's better to do BOLC after graduation because most people who did BOLC before starting school forget everything they learned 4 years prior. The dentist recommended doing BOLC after graduation to keep everything fresher and make your transition into the Army easier.

One more time.

The rules for officer training in the Army are changing DRASTICALLY starting 1 Oct 2016. The changes do not apply to anyone who is in the program prior to 1 October of this year. However, anyone entering for a 2017 start will have to have an extra four weeks of training before they will be allowed to attend BOLC.

All of the complaining here on SDN about how the Army has changed the timing of the selection Board was caused by this training requirement. The goal is to get everyone in the mindset that if you do not attend the Direct Commission Course at Fort Sill before you start, or while you are in HPSP, instead of reporting to AEGD, Residency, or first duty station in early August, you will be reporting in November or December. The timing of the four week course does not allow for attending the six week BOLC which will mean 11 weeks instead, hence a much later report date.

Bottom line is that those of you currently in Army HPSP are the very last ones that will be allowed to attend the abbreviated 6 week BOLC without having first attended the four-week Direct Commission Course. In regard to the class starting next summer, we NEED for just about everyone to attend the DCC so that they can attend the six-week BOLC after graduation, just like you who are graduating this summer.

One more time.

The rules for officer training in the Army are changing DRASTICALLY starting 1 Oct 2016. The changes do not apply to anyone who is in the program prior to 1 October of this year. However, anyone entering for a 2017 start will have to have an extra four weeks of training before they will be allowed to attend BOLC.

All of the complaining here on SDN about how the Army has changed the timing of the selection Board was caused by this training requirement. The goal is to get everyone in the mindset that if you do not attend the Direct Commission Course at Fort Sill before you start, or while you are in HPSP, instead of reporting to AEGD, Residency, or first duty station in early August, you will be reporting in November or December. The timing of the four week course does not allow for attending the six week BOLC which will mean 11 weeks instead, hence a much later report date.

Bottom line is that those of you currently in Army HPSP are the very last ones that will be allowed to attend the abbreviated 6 week BOLC without having first attended the four-week Direct Commission Course. In regard to the class starting next summer, we NEED for just about everyone to attend the DCC so that they can attend the six-week BOLC after graduation, just like you who are graduating this summer.
What are this years BOLC dates?

My scroll was just approved the 19th. When you are pro-recommended for the scholarship, your file goes to congress where it is reviewed for you to receive your scroll to commission. Essentially you got the scholarship, the hardest part (at least from what my recruiter has told me) is getting pro-recommended, and you have already done that. The scroll is just a waiting game, and it usually takes a while from what I have heard.
Thanks!

So USArmyHPSP, does this mean that the Army is moving all residency start dates from July 1 to August? Or will HPSP students still have to wait until the next fiscal year to begin residency training if they have to go to BOLC after graduation?

I'm afraid I don't understand this question. Every year we send approximately 80 HPSP dental graduates to BOLC from mid June until the last week in July.

The end goal is to continue to do this throughout the future, but, starting October 2016, anyone entering HPSP must attend the additional four weeks of training before they will be allowed to attend BOLC. With most dental programs having a year-round curriculum, ideally we want to see the four week DCC completed prior to dental school and BOLC immediately after graduation.

This may be a tad early, but has anyone that was put on the OML been awarded a scholarship?

Commissioning Monday for the army. Is anyone else trying to do BOLC before school starts?

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know what the $2200 monthly stipend will come to after taxes? Does it vary depending on what state you're in or no because it's federally taxed? I appreciate the help! Trying to figure out what my living expenses will look like based on which school I choose with the scholarship...

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone updated their application with their fall transcript?

Does anyone know what the $2200 monthly stipend will come to after taxes? Does it vary depending on what state you're in or no because it's federally taxed? I appreciate the help! Trying to figure out what my living expenses will look like based on which school I choose with the scholarship...
It's tax free.

It's taxed like any other pay is.

This depends on two factors:

1. Will your state withhold tax? Some do and some don't.
2. Your W-4. If you tell ole Uncle Sam to allow you to keep more with each check, your bi-weekly stipend will be more and your refund at the end of the year will be less. On the flip side, you can tell the government to keep more out of each payment means less now and more at tax time. Either way it's up to you and how you fill out the W-4.