Class of 2020 - HPSP Scholarship Applicants (Navy/Army/Air Force)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Good luck to everyone applying this year.

I am applying for the Army Reserve MDSSP program. Anyone else here applying for that? From what I heard the next board (to which my application will be in front of) is supposed to convene May 4th, so I'm excited to hear the results of that. Anyone know the timeline on when we should hear an answer by?

Members don't see this ad.

Good luck to everyone applying this year.

I am applying for the Army Reserve MDSSP program. Anyone else here applying for that? From what I heard the next board (to which my application will be in front of) is supposed to convene May 4th, so I'm excited to hear the results of that. Anyone know the timeline on when we should hear an answer by?

I was going to apply for that program but after further research it was not nearly attractive as hpsp or hscp.

@BobbyBeavis My final select letter also said that I can only commission on or after Aug. 1st and I'll be starting school in early July at UOP. Oh well! Do you think they assign commissioning dates based on what school you decide to attend?

@BobbyBeavis @chan123 I also can't commission until August 1... Do you think that we will get reimbursed for all of the small materials, textbooks, and other authorized things that we purchase during the summer? Are you both keeping your receipts and submitting reimbursement claims for those items?

Here is a link to the Navy HPSP handbook, which I recommend looking through: Student Handbook - Navy Medicine

In the handbook, section 3-1, it states:
c. Participants will NOT be reimbursed for items purchased
more than 45 days prior to the start of their first covered
term/semester. If a participant is commissioned when already
enrolled in a term/semester, he/she will be reimbursed for all
authorized items purchased within 45 days of the start of that
term.

Since they are covering the tuition for our summer term, and that is technically our "first term," we should get reimbursed for all items starting 45 days from the starting day of that term (for me, June 8), correct? In Appendix D of the handbook, the Navy lists how much money they will reimburse you for for each authorized items. In section 3 of the handbook, the reimbursement processes are outlined.

Let me know what you guys think!

Members don't see this ad :)
@BobbyBeavis @chan123 I also can't commission until August 1... Do you think that we will get reimbursed for all of the small materials, textbooks, and other authorized things that we purchase during the summer? Are you both keeping your receipts and submitting reimbursement claims for those items?

Here is a link to the Navy HPSP handbook, which I recommend looking through: Student Handbook - Navy Medicine

In the handbook, section 3-1, it states:
c. Participants will NOT be reimbursed for items purchased
more than 45 days prior to the start of their first covered
term/semester. If a participant is commissioned when already
enrolled in a term/semester, he/she will be reimbursed for all
authorized items purchased within 45 days of the start of that
term.

Since they are covering the tuition for our summer term, and that is technically our "first term," we should get reimbursed for all items starting 45 days from the starting day of that term (for me, June 8), correct? In Appendix D of the handbook, the Navy lists how much money they will reimburse you for for each authorized items. In section 3 of the handbook, the reimbursement processes are outlined.

Let me know what you guys think!

Coming from UOP, we commissioned August 1st, school started mid-July, all of the first year kit (lab supplies, books) including loupes was covered. I didn't have to do anything the school took care of it. Other schools might be different. You have to submit separate reimbursement for teeth/burs you buy for practice.

@LogOff but they still reimbursed you for those teeth and burs etc that you used over the summer when you submitted reimbursement claims, even though it was before your commission date?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

@cplittl

My situation is similar to @LogOff . I start school early July, and as you know, commission August 1st. I sent the financial adviser at my school an e-mail explaining the situation, and she replied that I did not have to do anything at all because she has me listed as a recipient of the HPSP and the school knows that they should receive funds by September.

Reactions: 1 user
@cplittl

My situation is similar to @LogOff . I start school early July, and as you know, commission August 1st. I sent the financial adviser at my school an e-mail explaining the situation, and she replied that I did not have to do anything at all because she has me listed as a recipient of the HPSP and the school knows that they should receive funds by September.

Cool, well I guess if they make me pay for anything that I'm technically not supposed to be paying for I'll keep the receipts in case

Cool, well I guess if they make me pay for anything that I'm technically not supposed to be paying for I'll keep the receipts in case

Have you contacted the financial adviser at your school? I'd start at that to see if he/she has any recommendations. I read posts in these forums that state you should try to avoid the reimbursement, because it seems to be a hassle. Some schools do require you to pay up front, unfortunately, but it all works out in the end :thumbup:

Have you contacted the financial adviser at your school? I'd start at that to see if he/she has any recommendations. I read posts in these forums that state you should try to avoid the reimbursement, because it seems to be a hassle. Some schools do require you to pay up front, unfortunately, but it all works out in the end :thumbup:

Nah I haven't I'll try that. Thanks for the heads up!

@LogOff but they still reimbursed you for those teeth and burs etc that you used over the summer when you submitted reimbursement claims, even though it was before your commission date?

I never turned the receipts in for teeth/burs, hardly anyone else did either due to the hassle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Crickets. I got some paperwork to send to my school which I returned over a month ago and since then, nothing.

My situation is funky being on active duty. When I commence my HSCP orders I am technically being demoted from O-3 to E-7 which is quite a significant pay cut. I don't want that to happen until absolutely necessary. I have 52 to 54 days of leave to burn depending on what day in August I separate from the URL, so I'm looking at terminal leave beginning mid June or so. The calm before the storm.

I was told by my recruiter that I was selected as an alternate about a month ago for NAVY HPSP. Is anyone else in the same situation and/or heard any information about the alternate list?
Me too man. eagerly awaiting any sort of update

I'm on Army OML (waitlist). Still haven't heard anything but my recruiter told me that May and June are the months that people who reject the scholarship are taken off and the people on waitlist are given the scholarship.

Anybody who got army 4 year HPSP declining?

Hey, so i got waitlisted with the Army for the 4 year HPSP and I wanted to know if the Army still offers 3 year HPSP? I heard from some sources that the Army doesn't give out 3 year scholarships anymore. Does anyone know if this is true or not? Thanks!

I believe if you were put on waitlist, you will automatically be considered for the 3 year HPSP. I think what you heard was that they don't offer a 3 year if you weren't an applicant for the 4 year HPSP.

Just spoke with my army recruiter. He said that it is getting really close to the time when those on OML will be activated and given the scholarship if they were high enough on the waitlist. As soon as I hear anything, I will let you guys know.

For those of you that declined one branch and accepted the other, how did you go about that? Just emailed your recruiter?

Anyone have any info about the time line of the bonus? Not sure if I should expect it after swearing in or with the stipend at the start of school

For those of you that declined one branch and accepted the other, how did you go about that? Just emailed your recruiter?
I called my recruiter, told him my decision and thanked him for his help.

Anyone have any info about the time line of the bonus? Not sure if I should expect it after swearing in or with the stipend at the start of school
I was told to expect the bonus within one month of starting school. I swore in months ago fyi.

I was told anywhere between 3 weeks after school starts to 3 months...

Generally, within one month of receiving your first stipend check. Not school start date and not the date of oath. It's paid in three installments of 9K, 9K, and 2K less taxes. If you do not receive the first installment within 30 days of receiving the first stipend payment contact the HPSP office.

FYI, I know the Army is about to start making OML calls, so those of you patiently waiting, it shouldn't be long now.

Does anyone know what's the take-home pay after tax for the monthly stipend and sign-in bonus?

I got a call from the Army today. They asked me if they offered me a 4 year, would I still take it. I was waitlisted in February and have been waiting to hear something- be it bad or good news.

The man on the phone went on to say that he was calling because his higher ups were "confirming" those on the waitlist. He said that this is a very good sign that I am being seriously considered. In his "eight years of experience" he says it's a 70% chance if you get confirmed like this.

For those of you who are also waiting to hear, he said that there are around 15 scholarships that have not been accepted, and they will go to those on OML.

Within 2 weeks, the offers will be made to those on OML.

I got a call from the Army today. They asked me if they offered me a 4 year, would I still take it. I was waitlisted in February and have been waiting to hear something- be it bad or good news.

The man on the phone went on to say that he was calling because his higher ups were "confirming" those on the waitlist. He said that this is a very good sign that I am being seriously considered. In his "eight years of experience" he says it's a 70% chance if you get confirmed like this.

For those of you who are also waiting to hear, he said that there are around 15 scholarships that have not been accepted, and they will go to those on OML.

Ive learned to take everything they say with a grain of salt..

lmao people dropping out because of isis or because trump might be commander in chief. Or because of both

WL didnt budge a bit this time last year

Reactions: 1 users
Have to give up my army 4-year HPSP scholarship :-(((((( Hope it goes to one of you!

Any Army HPSP/MDSSP applicants who went in front of the May board here anything?

Does anyone know what chances someone has who is 3rd or 4th on the wait list for Navy HPSP to get the 3 year for next year if they don't get into the 4 year this year?

Hey everyone!

I will be starting at NYUCD this august and I called up an air force recruiter yesterday. Sent him my dat score report and transcript. How competitive will getting the air force HSPS be?

my stats are GPA: 3.4-3.5
DAT: 21 AA

Hey everyone!

I will be starting at NYUCD this august and I called up an air force recruiter yesterday. Sent him my dat score report and transcript. How competitive will getting the air force HSPS be?

my stats are GPA: 3.4-3.5
DAT: 21 AA

I heard minimum for AF is a 3.6 GPA, but since it is the most competitive branch by far the average stands around a 3.8+ and 22+ DAT

Army HPSP

I heard minimum for AF is a 3.6 GPA, but since it is the most competitive branch by far the average stands around a 3.8+ and 22+ DAT

Army HPSP

oh well :(

what about the average for the army? Also can one re-apply after one starts dental school or does it have to be prior to starting school?

Last edited:

what about the average for the army? Also can one re-apply after one starts dental school or does it have to be prior to starting school?

If you check the thread you can see that both the army and navy had around a 3.7 GPA and 21 DAT. I assume your recruiter is starting you with a 3 year HPSP since you already will be in school this fall. It takes about a year to apply and get board selected. There are no 2 or 1 year HPSP's.

Army HPSP

If you check the thread you can see that both the army and navy had around a 3.7 GPA and 21 DAT. I assume your recruiter is starting you with a 3 year HPSP since you already will be in school this fall. It takes about a year to apply and get board selected. There are no 2 or 1 year HPSP's.

Army HPSP
USAF didn't take 4 year newly accepted applicants this year. Couldn't even apply.

You might want to consider HSCP as well, which is exclusive to the Navy. If you're not sure what it is, feel free to PM me. I was selected for it during the January board.