Class of 2020 - HPSP Scholarship Applicants (Navy/Army/Air Force)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got my selection letter for the Navy HPSP! Will commission August 1st at the earliest, which kinda sucks cause I start dental school in June. But hey, no complaints... This is awesome!

One question I had for everyone on here, what exactly does the Navy pay for? I know they give you tuition and a monthly stipend and even a bonus, but will they pay for loupes? Will they pay for dental materials? Will they pay for a laptop if we are required to have one? I just want to know where they draw the line so I can be prepared!
Congrats!! This is the website that gives you a breakdown of what they pay for up to the dollar amount. Click number 2 that says "suppplies and equipment" and it will give you a list. For example they cover up to 1k for your loupes, anything outside of that is paid out of pocket. Hope this helps.
http://www.med.navy.mil/Accessions/Pages/Reimbursement.aspx

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone that accepted the Army HPSP have trouble with the mods.army.mil/medicaleducation website?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone that accepted the Army HPSP have trouble with the mods.army.mil/medicaleducation website?

Yup, it just wont load for me at all. I tried different internet browsers, different devices (multiple laptops and desktops), downloaded .mil certificates so I don't get "There is a problem with this website security certificate" for many .mil websites (for Mozilla and IE) , and I even reset my IP address but still cannot log on.

However, after what seemed like a rather exhaustive attempt to get the webpage to load I stumbled upon this link: https://education.mods.army.mil/MEDED/UserLogon/UserLogon.asp

It allows me to access MODS...so I'm not going to ask too many questions ;p

I only commissioned a few weeks ago and my insight on the military network is VERY limited but from what I have read it seems that some important .mil websites may require a security ID CAC card to gain access (and even so you'd need a CAC card reader for your computer). Not sure if we are even issued a CAC card while on HPSP and in school or only once we go Active or it's something anyone who has commissioned can get at any point...

Yup, it just wont load for me at all. I tried different internet browsers, different devices (multiple laptops and desktops), downloaded .mil certificates so I don't get "There is a problem with this website security certificate" for many .mil websites (for Mozilla and IE) , and I even reset my IP address but still cannot log on.

However, after what seemed like a rather exhaustive attempt to get the webpage to load I stumbled upon this link: https://education.mods.army.mil/MEDED/UserLogon/UserLogon.asp

It allows me to access MODS...so I'm not going to ask too many questions ;p

I only commissioned a few weeks ago and my insight on the military network is VERY limited but from what I have read it seems that some important .mil websites may require a security ID CAC card to gain access (and even so you'd need a CAC card reader for your computer). Not sure if we are even issued a CAC card while on HPSP and in school or only once we go Active or it's something anyone who has commissioned can get at any point...
Yes I had to do the same. Im going to BOLC in June so I need to get my CAC card soon.

Yes I had to do the same. Im going to BOLC in June so I need to get my CAC card soon.

Nice, I'm hoping I can attend BOLC this June too! Do you remember how long it took for MODS to receive your commissioning paperwork after your recruiter submitted it?

Last edited:
My recruiter paid for mine. He told me it was his job to pay for it not mine... :)

True story - the Army paid for my official report too. Don't go out-of-pocket for something that can otherwise be taken care of for you.

True story - the Army paid for my official report too. Don't go out-of-pocket for something that can otherwise be taken care of for you.
Unfortunately, both my Army and Navy recuiters stated that they couldn't pay for my official score report when I asked. Oh well haha!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

If you want something bad enough you will pay for it yourself to expedite the process. Relying on the government to pay for anything in a timely manner or at all is a really bad idea especially in a budget shortfall. But what do I know?

Reactions: 3 users
If you want something bad enough you will pay for it yourself to expedite the process. Relying on the government to pay for anything in a timely manner or at all is a really bad idea especially in a budget shortfall. But what do I know?
I completely agree, those were my thoughts exactly!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

But it's still their job to pay for it...just trying to save some people money.

Members don't see this ad :)
Relying on the government to pay for anything in a timely manner or at all is a really bad idea especially in a budget shortfall.

I agree with what you're saying, but man, the irony in what you're saying is real given that most of the people in this thread are hoping for the government to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars, in a timely manner, for their entire dental education.

I agree with what you're saying, but man, the irony in what you're saying is real given that most of the people in this thread are hoping for the government to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars, in a timely manner, for their entire dental education.

The difference is that the HPSP contract lays out exactly what is to be paid and when, while the recruiting districts have discretion in how to use their GPCs.

Reactions: 1 users
For the Army:

"They pay for everything the school requires.

NOT A TRUE STATEMENT

The Army will cover all tuition, AUTHORIZED fees, books and equipment. Authorized by the Army not required by the school. In the case of loupes, your school (the billing office) will need to tell the Army that loupes are a requirement for all students in your year-group.

Computers are not authorized, review and books that are recommended but not required books are not authorized, certain fees (child-care, cap and gown, transportation, etc.) are not authorized.

Anybody know how long it takes to hear back from the Navy? My recruiter submitted my package in late February. Just curios on the time line. Thanks!

Anybody know how long it takes to hear back from the Navy? My recruiter submitted my package in late February. Just curios on the time line. Thanks!
I submitted earlier on a different timeline, but a classmate of mine submitted January and heard back about 2-3 weeks later. I'd think you would have heard by now, I would check in with your recruiter.

I submitted earlier on a different timeline, but a classmate of mine submitted January and heard back about 2-3 weeks later. I'd think you would have heard by now, I would check in with your recruiter.

Thanks for the info. Ill give my recruiter a call tomorrow.

For those selected and commissioning late, have you been keeping in contact with your recruiter? I assume we just wait it out now until the time gets closer

You can definitely apply for a waiver, it has to go to the Surgeon General of the Army at Ft. Knox (at least this is how it was explained to me when I applied for a waiver). AMEDD applicants have priority on the waiver, so I'm not sure why your recruiter has been ignoring you. Have you tried calling?

Do you know how the waiver process works?

Can anyone chime in?

My recruiter said he's exhausted all avenues. But, he's never forwarded any documents or anything to me regarding a waiver of any kind. How do I know he actually did anything...

Got official word that I have been accepted for the Army 4 year HPSP, after I was told in febuary that it wasn't gonna work out.
Commissioning on the 26th,
Don't lose hope!

Reactions: 5 users
Do you know how the waiver process works?

Can anyone chime in?

My recruiter said he's exhausted all avenues. But, he's never forwarded any documents or anything to me regarding a waiver of any kind. How do I know he actually did anything...
With Army or Navy?
And have you done your MEPS yet?

Navy.

MEPs denied me before even doing a screen. Never even went in.
I think that you're too late in regards to this year if you haven't even done your MEPS yet, the last board for the Navy scholarship was in March.

I also had to get waiver clearance before my MEPS, It was a long process and my recruiter didn't make any promises. It's possible that the thing you are trying to get clearance for is seen as too high risk for the Navy, and they aren't willing to clear you because of that. I know it sucks, but that's what I was told when I initially submitted the waiver clearance form with the Army.

If you really think your recruiter didn't even submit the waiver, you can try your luck with a different recruiter. Not much else to do.

I'm Navy. Have you graduated yet? If not then that's probably the reason why.

Mine said the same and I graduated last year. That's why I'm pretty confused. I assume it has something to do with Congress. I asked when I initially received the letter and called my recruiter about 2 weeks ago and left a voicemail but haven't had a response yet. I'll be traveling to my school this week so I'm going to ask my new recruiter who will swear me in for more info.

I really wish my family could see me commission but "you can't always get what you want"

It costs money to commission you. They prefer to do it near the end of the fiscal year. Same with promotions.

Thanks for the info, you have been very helpful throughout this process

I can see that most of you guys go for Army or Navy HSPS, what about Air Force HSPS?
Also, what is your response to the question "reason for interest" when you apply for HSPS?

@BobbyBeavis My final select letter also said that I can only commission on or after Aug. 1st and I'll be starting school in early July at UOP. Oh well! Do you think they assign commissioning dates based on what school you decide to attend?

I can see that most of you guys go for Army or Navy HSPS, what about Air Force HSPS?
Also, what is your response to the question "reason for interest" when you apply for HSPS?
The airforce offers far fewer scholarships proportionally so you will have a harder chance of getting one if you apply.

@BobbyBeavis My final select letter also said that I can only commission on or after Aug. 1st and I'll be starting school in early July at UOP. Oh well! Do you think they assign commissioning dates based on what school you decide to attend?

I don't believe so, I think it all has to do with how much money the government has to spend, as @vellnueve stated. Perhaps @crankymonkey was able to get his paperwork in before us? I remember we all were selected around the same time.

I also start school in early July, and money is running low for me. I was hoping to be getting hit with that bonus at the beginning of school! But we probably won't be seeing any until September :nailbiting:

I don't believe so, I think it all has to do with how much money the government has to spend, as @vellnueve stated. Perhaps @crankymonkey was able to get his paperwork in before us? I remember we all were selected around the same time.

I also start school in early July, and money is running low for me. I was hoping to be getting hit with that bonus at the beginning of school! But we probably won't be seeing any until September :nailbiting:
I know the Army said to not expect the bonus until 3 weeks to 3 months after school has started.

Just go ahead and get your FAFSA done and the military will reimburse you for tuition and the required fees. Interest usually doesn't start compounding until after 120 days of taking the loan.

Just go ahead and get your FAFSA done and the military will reimburse you for tuition and the required fees. Interest usually doesn't start compounding until after 120 days of taking the loan.

The financial aid department at my school says I won't have to pay anything since they know they'll get the money eventually. Just worried about the move and housing fees until the stipend kicks in

The financial aid department at my school says I won't have to pay anything since they know they'll get the money eventually. Just worried about the move and housing fees until the stipend kicks in
Oh that's awesome. My school told me that I needed to pay everything up front through loans. Damn I'm jealous haha.

I was told by my recruiter that I was selected as an alternate about a month ago for NAVY HPSP. Is anyone else in the same situation and/or heard any information about the alternate list?

Anyone here get the Veterinary HPSP scholarship? I got my "Selected" letter last week along with a fat stack of paperwork. Pretty excited about the whole thing. Sadly I haven't found any other veterinary student recipients from this year to chat with yet.

can someone point me in the right direction on when to apply for the 3 yr hpsp? I'll be starting school in July and was wondering if now would be a good time for the 3 year, or during my first year? And I would assume I'm already late for the 4 year....? I'll be contacting recruiters for all 3 branches soon but also wanted to get some advice from you guys. Thanks!

can someone point me in the right direction on when to apply for the 3 yr hpsp? I'll be starting school in July and was wondering if now would be a good time for the 3 year, or during my first year? And I would assume I'm already late for the 4 year....? I'll be contacting recruiters for all 3 branches soon but also wanted to get some advice from you guys. Thanks!

Start now and get MEPs out of the way. IMO its the biggest barrier. You definitely don't want to be running around chasing paperwork during dental school.

Does the Army HPSP cover housing separate from the monthly stipend? Also, has anyone signed up for the Special Pay program? From my interpretation, physicians who specialize in a field the Army listed will receive a bonus. Are there any stipulations with this?

Does the Army HPSP cover housing separate from the monthly stipend? Also, has anyone signed up for the Special Pay program? From my interpretation, physicians who specialize in a field the Army listed will receive a bonus. Are there any stipulations with this?

You're not eligible for any of that until completing school and going on active duty.

You're not eligible for any of that until completing school and going on active duty.

Congrats on having the 1000th post in this thread Vellnueve :D