Class of 2017 cycle opening!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone else notice that the aacpm reported mcat average for 2011 was a 20.7 (6.7 6.8 7.2) and the aacpm careerzone pdf had each schools mcat ranging from 21-24? Could be a result of me adding the averages of the three individual sections and not using the actual composite scores of every student.

Also, do you all think matriculant numbers might drop, due to less applicants with obamacare having passed? Last year the average matriculant mcat numbers were lower than prior years, I'm wondering if it might be worse again this year. (But hoping not)

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone else notice that the aacpm reported mcat average for 2011 was a 20.7 (6.7 6.8 7.2) and the aacpm careerzone pdf had each schools mcat ranging from 21-24? Could be a result of me adding the averages of the three individual sections and not using the actual composite scores of every student.

Also, do you all think matriculant numbers might drop, due to less applicants with obamacare having passed? Last year the average matriculant mcat numbers were lower than prior years, I'm wondering if it might be worse again this year. (But hoping not)

I honestly don't think obamacare will effect out numbers very much. How many young twenty something's really understand the far-reaching consequences? I doubt it will really effect the numbers. I did notice they were lower than previous years though.

That being said, it doesn't matter you didn't use the individual averages. The average of all school's averages needs to be 20.7. This seems a bit suspect....

I honestly don't think obamacare will effect out numbers very much. How many young twenty something's really understand the far-reaching consequences? I doubt it will really effect the numbers. I did notice they were lower than previous years though.

That being said, it doesn't matter you didn't use the individual averages. The average of all school's averages needs to be 20.7. This seems a bit suspect....

Lower averages = easier scholarship money?! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
im being tedious now but I took the number of students at each school x the reported mcat average of each school and divided the sum by the total number of students.

SCHOOL: CLASS SIZE: MCAT AVE: TOTAL:
AZPOD 30 24 720
Sam Merrit 46 21 966
Western 50 22 1100
Barry 67 21 1407
Scholl 98 22.5 2205
DMU 53 23 1219
NYCPM 109 23 2507
OCPM 125 22 2750
Temple 100 22.8 2280

TOTAL 678 15154

15154/678= 22.35 MCAT Average reported by schools vs. 20.7 reported by aacpm

im being tedious now but I took the number of students at each school x the reported mcat average of each school and divided the sum by the total number of students.

SCHOOL: CLASS SIZE: MCAT AVE: TOTAL:
AZPOD 30 24 720
Sam Merrit 46 21 966
Western 50 22 1100
Barry 67 21 1407
Scholl 98 22.5 2205
DMU 53 23 1219
NYCPM 109 23 2507
OCPM 125 22 2750
Temple 100 22.8 2280

TOTAL 678 15154

15154/678= 22.35 MCAT Average reported by schools vs. 20.7 reported by aacpm

See? Suspect....

using sig figs its only 22 vs 21. But still, Its enough to be a head scratcher as to why they cant report the same numbers.

using sig figs it only 22 vs 21. But still, Its enough to be a head scratcher as to why they cant report the same numbers.

I mean, i guess if each school's actual MCAT was reported - .5 and they rounded up.... But even then you can't be more than 1 digit off....

I believe they have a specific amount to give out every year, and there are also certain requirements that need to be met to qualify. So I would imagine lower averages would make it easier in the sense that they would not run out of scholarships as fast and more students with average stats would be able to get money.

I believe they have a specific amount to give out every year, and there are also certain requirements that need to be met to qualify. So I would imagine lower averages would make it easier in the sense that they would not run out of scholarships as fast and more students with average stats would be able to get money.

Hmmm. Do you know when scholarship info is given out? I assume at time of acceptance? I think we have like thirty days to respond to an offer, so i would hope you get scholarship info before those days are up....

Hmmm. Do you know when scholarship info is given out? I assume at time of acceptance? I think we have like thirty days to respond to an offer, so i would hope you get scholarship info before those days are up....

I remember one of the schools I talked to saying that based on your stats you could recieve the scholarship right after your interview if they immediately accept you. I think thats very rare though. Most of the schools I called or visited said that you get your scholarship info with your admissions decision. I cant say for sure though, first time going through the admissions process.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools only require 2 letters of recommendation. It wouldn't be bad form to submit 3 would it?

Some schools only require 2 letters of recommendation. It wouldn't be bad form to submit 3 would it?

Adcoms have told me only to submit extras if they say something new/different. If you have two (in addition to the pod)from professors that had you in class and both thought you were delightful, it would be bad form because it shows you cannot follow directions.

However, if one was from a professor in class, and another was the professor you did research with (or w/e) then it is acceptable.

Adcoms have told me only to submit extras if they say something new/different. If you have two (in addition to the pod)from professors that had you in class and both thought you were delightful, it would be bad form because it shows you cannot follow directions.

However, if one was from a professor in class, and another was the professor you did research with (or w/e) then it is acceptable.

:thumbup:

I sent each school four letters. One from a DPM, PharmD, Advisor and Science Teacher.

Got an interview tomorrow for an awesome job at a golf course. Going to practice my interview skills tomorrow and hopefully that will make me confident for when I am at Pod schools! Oh yea, hopefully I get the job too lol

Got an interview tomorrow for an awesome job at a golf course. Going to practice my interview skills tomorrow and hopefully that will make me confident for when I am at Pod schools! Oh yea, hopefully I get the job too lol

Best of luck to you-knock em' dead!

my transcripts still don't show received... how long did it take for most of yours?

my transcripts still don't show received... how long did it take for most of yours?

Mine neither... Mostly people said 5-7 days it seems.... :/

I'm hitting a week today though...

Mine took 8 days with rush order to show up as received on AACPMAS.

Sent my letters out yesterday too, every school I applied to got 3 except for KSU which only wanted 2.

Relax everyone. Like any organization, they work extremely slowly. Have patience and go play a game of laser tag or mini golf.

As a third year student this means absolutely nothing. A lot of the pathology that will walk in through the door will go right over your head. Scholl's clinic is not busy at all and even the stuff that comes through (that is not simply chip and clip) you still don't grasp 100% of everything that is going on. (really? What are they teaching you then?) Especially when you are juggling 6-7 classes at a time and all you want to do is try and learn the **** that is being taught to you.

I had shadowed two well known programs after my first year of podiatry school and was fortunate to come across the directors of both programs. They pretty much flat out told me that I won't learn crap in my school's clinic until I finally get out.
Sorry to bring back old posts, but I couldnt disagree with the above statement more (sorry AB). I learn 10x more in our busy clinic than I do sitting in a class listening to a professor. Being there and having an attending stand next to you and show you and pimp you on the pathology? Thats how I (and most adults as per research on hands on learning) learn the best.

I would say the most important thing a student should be worried about is strong clinics. Academics are fine but boards really isnt that hard.

Having the ability/confidence to establish rapport with the patient, work up the condition, present effectively to an attending, write a good note, and demonstrate your knowledge will land you a residency.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats you're a genius. Boards not that hard??? No way you scored a raw 75% on that test before they threw out questions.

Everyone learns differently.
Calm down AB. Im far from a genius, and never claimed to be one, but I passed and most of the people in my class also passed. The only people who didnt pass were people that didnt work hard the first 2 years.

I feel slightly guilty now considering many of you haven't been able to get your transcripts to AACPMAS and for some reason one university I attended submitted three identical transcripts and all three have been received! I also called them this morning and they said that they didn't start processing applications until the 9th anyway so I wouldn't worry too much about being behind!

Same thing happened to me, one of the institutions I attended sent two identical copies of my transcript and they both showed up on AACPMAS at the same time. I called AACPMAS and was told that there was nothing to worry about.

I feel slightly guilty now considering many of you haven't been able to get your transcripts to AACPMAS and for some reason one university I attended submitted three identical transcripts and all three have been received! I also called them this morning and they said that they didn't start processing applications until the 9th anyway so I wouldn't worry too much about being behind!

Yeah, I'm mostly being melodramatic in regards to my transcripts. That being said, I don't want to wait like 2 more weeks only to find out they lost them/they were never sent...

Yeah, I'm mostly being melodramatic in regards to my transcripts. That being said, I don't want to wait like 2 more weeks only to find out they lost them/they were never sent...

Agreed, I would feel the same way. The problems continue after your transcripts have been received though because then you are constantly checking to see if they have updated any other information! lol Come November hopefully at the latest we have some closure on this whole experience and we can just focus on finishing our undergrad!

Same thing happened to me, one of the institutions I attended sent two identical copies of my transcript and they both showed up on AACPMAS at the same time. I called AACPMAS and was told that there was nothing to worry about.

I called as well because I didn't want those identical transcripts to slow the verification process down but AACPMAS assured me that there was nothing wrong with it and that it happens all the time! haha The associate that attended my call though did say that they verify transcripts with our uploaded course information like 3-4 times so the "up to 5 week" estimate may not be far off!

my school sent two transcripts, I bet its common. Thats good to hear that it will not slow down the process any. Got LORS from profs today. Going to send them out and be done.... for now?!

They finally posted my transcripts!

Weird though... it says they were posted 8/13/12. I've checked like 100x in the last two days, and they definitely were only posted in the last 2 hours..... Hmm, oh well! Not complaining!

They finally posted my transcripts!

Weird though... it says they were posted 8/13/12. I've checked like 100x in the last two days, and they definitely were only posted in the last 2 hours..... Hmm, oh well! Not complaining!

:thumbup:

Let the race begin cowboy :)!

1/4 schools have post transcripts.

Its ok though, I did them all on the same day, so the others can't be too far behind.

All transcripts in... off to the races MFers

@MaxillofacialMN I was confused I didn't score 10 on verbal, It was 9V-7P-6B respectivly. I think I have a decent shot. I mean for god sake I have A's in Orgo I & II, Genetics, and Bio Chem. Hopefully that will offset my low bio score haha

Any major updates for anyone? This one month window of waiting feels so "empty"...

Transcripts finally recieved!!!! Now its just a waiting game lol.

All transcripts in... off to the races MFers

@MaxillofacialMN I was confused I didn't score 10 on verbal, It was 9V-7P-6B respectivly. I think I have a decent shot. I mean for god sake I have A's in Orgo I & II, Genetics, and Bio Chem. Hopefully that will offset my low bio score haha

Or make them question whether your school has bad grade inflation ;-p

Any major updates for anyone? This one month window of waiting feels so "empty"...

No kidding!! I still can't imagine stuff will take THAT long even though AACPMAS says it will... There were decisions early september last year!

still waiting on my last transcript :rolleyes:

Dang, my GPA has been calculated already. I almost am starting to feel nervous. This is actually happening haha :D

Dang, my GPA has been calculated already. I almost am starting to feel nervous. This is actually happening haha :D

You're kidding me....?! So did your app get sent out? I don't know how this works...?

See im confused and have a question, now a 2.7 at my school was a C+ but the pod grading scale says a B i think it was, so does that mean my gpa will be higher when its all done being calculated?

I will not be apply until later in the cycle, but I was wondering...

How long did it take for you guys to get your science and overall GPA calculated?

See im confused and have a question, now a 2.7 at my school was a C+ but the pod grading scale says a B i think it was, so does that mean my gpa will be higher when its all done being calculated?

I think if your school considered a C+ to be 2.7 grade points, then your AACPMAS gpa will be lower than your school gpa since AACPMAS counts a C+ as 2.3 grade points. A B- would be 2.7 grade points on the application... The gpa on the calculation is calculated based on what grade you got, not how many grade points your school gives you for that grade... I think this is what you were asking?