Chicago State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey everyone, I was just writing on here to see if anyone else has been taken off the wait-list yet? I interviewed with CSU Feb. 18th and was put on continuous review in the beginning of March... Then on May 10, I was placed on the wait-list... It's so frustrating! :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, don't lose hope no matter what you do. I've seen people get pulled off as soon as 3 days before school starts so be prepared for anything (even if you're out of state).... No way giving false hope, but some people are upset getting pulled off so late but its because they lost hope and made other plans. Don't do that.

I'm not sure how many applications they have gotten...sorry.

However, they are only accepting 84 students.

They said they kept the number of interviewees low because they really want to get to know the applicants.

Only 84?

Macmilan.

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe there will be a lucky person hearing something from CSU sometime this week or next week because I just got accepted to MWU and I'm going to withdraw my application from CSU. Good Luck to everyone!

UIC-Rockford: Accepted :claps::claps:
CSU: Accepted :claps::claps:
MWU: Accepted :soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:

I got a phone call Tuesday afternoon and I was informed that I was accepted into the pharmacy program. I was soo excited and wanna say to anyone else who is still waiting not to lose hope! I almost gave up, but I stuck in there! :D

I got a phone call Tuesday afternoon and I was informed that I was accepted into the pharmacy program. I was soo excited and wanna say to anyone else who is still waiting not to lose hope! I almost gave up, but I stuck in there! :D

Im so frustrated, I was placed on waiting list,:( and losing my hope, keep checking my email, and dont know what Im going to do this year if I dont get it, Im soooooo happy for you! I can Imagine how it feels to know what ur plans are going to be for the next 4 years!
Congrads!

Im so frustrated, I was placed on waiting list,:( and losing my hope, keep checking my email, and dont know what Im going to do this year if I dont get it, Im soooooo happy for you! I can Imagine how it feels to know what ur plans are going to be for the next 4 years!
Congrads!

Thank you! Just be patient, I had to wait 5 months until I heard anything. Good luck!

Got the call today!!!! i was pulled from the waitlist and am accepted!! dont give up guys...
yay!!! :) :soexcited::soexcited::highfive:

Hi there! I am leaving a post for those people that are applying to CSU. I am a P1 this year and went through what you are going through last year. I figured I would post and offer to answer any questions as others were so helpful to me during my application process. Also, classes do not start up again until January 18th so I actually have time to post now....after the 18th though all bets are off since time is so precious. So if you have any questions about CSU that aren't answered in the previous posts you see in this thread feel free to ask away. And good luck to all that are applying this cycle!!!!

Hi there! I am leaving a post for those people that are applying to CSU. I am a P1 this year and went through what you are going through last year. I figured I would post and offer to answer any questions as others were so helpful to me during my application process. Also, classes do not start up again until January 18th so I actually have time to post now....after the 18th though all bets are off since time is so precious. So if you have any questions about CSU that aren't answered in the previous posts you see in this thread feel free to ask away. And good luck to all that are applying this cycle!!!!

Hi,
Thanks for your offer.
I have a question for you. I have just learned that the school requires one LoR must be from Pre-Heath advisor or Academic. However, I have submitted 2 letters from my 2 different employers/supervisors, and 1 from Sci Prof. Would that be accepted?
Thanks again.

Well, I originally submitted three LORs from three different science professors to Pharmcas. At that point, I realized that CSU required another LOR and I was able to submit one from a Pharmacist that I was acquainted with. I would think it would be safest to email the school (Dr. Ellison) and ask if your submissions would be acceptable. You want to do this because if you get called for an interview you want all of your paperwork in order....you are more likely to have your file looked at and a decision made if your paperwork is all in order. I know that last year several people who went in for interviews that did not have their paperwork in order ended up at first getting put on hold due to their missing paperwork. I don't want to give you incorrect information regarding this so I am suggesting you call the admissions office to get the facts straight from the school.

Members don't see this ad :)

Although, this might be a question more suiting to an admission officer. But just in case you have the slightest idea.

I would like to know how much you think the PCAT really matters, regardless of score (or maybe <50), especially for applicants with >3.5 GPA, in-state resident, with about a year worth of pharmacy experience (volunteer).

On a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being the highest, rate how much the PCAT is likely to negatively affect such an applicant. And no, I'm not indirectly stating my stats.

Even though the PCAT is required but I don't believe they use it as much as other schools. I would say that <50 would rank at 5 out of 10 for negativity. If all other factors look good they might chalk it up to bad test taking skills. Just my opinion of course.

Last edited:
Fair enough. Let me ask you another:

Do you think UIC's graduates will or have better chances of landing a job (faster) than CSU graduates? -Assuming all other things are equal between the graduates from both schools. Mainly based on the fact that they (UIC) are regarded as a more "established" school than CSU (sometimes called a "diploma mill", which I think is ridiculous).

- How good or competitive or strong is the CSU's pharm program compared to UIC's?

Fair enough. Let me ask you another:

Do you think UIC's graduates will or have better chances of landing a job (faster) than CSU graduates? -Assuming all other things are equal between the graduates from both schools. Mainly based on the fact that they (UIC) are regarded as a more "established" school than CSU (sometimes called a "diploma mill", which I think is ridiculous).

- How good or competitive or strong is the CSU's pharm program compared to UIC's?

UIC's program is way better, CSU does not have a great reputation in the Chicago area. I've had 2 IPPE students from CSU and they were terrible. I've had an IPPE student from MWU and UIC and they were both fairly on top of things. It is hard to say because that is only 4 students out of hundreds. We'll see when it starts being APPE students, but so far I've not been impressed. There are good/bad students at every school. If you get into UIC, I would say hands down go there...better school, great established faculty, and probably cheaper.

In Chicago, the reputation is as follows: UIC>MWU>>>>>>CSU

UIC's program is way better, CSU does not have a great reputation in the Chicago area. I've had 2 IPPE students from CSU and they were terrible. I've had an IPPE student from MWU and UIC and they were both fairly on top of things. It is hard to say because that is only 4 students out of hundreds. We'll see when it starts being APPE students, but so far I've not been impressed. There are good/bad students at every school. If you get into UIC, I would say hands down go there...better school, great established faculty, and probably cheaper.

In Chicago, the reputation is as follows: UIC>MWU>>>>>>CSU

Interesting. Thanks for your input.

Interesting. Thanks for your input.

I am not a UIC gradute either if that helps. I actually went to MWU. I think MWU is great and has great faculty, but as far as the reputation factor in the pharmacy world, UIC is better known.

If you are looking for schools in Chicago I would say UIC or MWU. My next choice would actually be the new Rosalind Franklin, then CSU, and I would not even consider Roosevelt. I hear good things mostly about Southern IL (newer school) and St. Louis if you are interested in that area. Other close schools you could consider would be Purdue, Michigan, Butler, Wisconsin, Iowa, Drake, or Wayne State.

In all fairness the IPPE rotations are the first rotations that students go on. If they do not have any pharmacy experience then they are not going to know very much and therefore not be that good. I think if you really want to condemn a school / program and all the hard working people within that program you should do it based on a reasonable sample (sorry too much stats) of people. I would be interested in hearing of your experiences with the APPE students from CSU once you deal with them on rotations.

Please keep in mind that the person who created and established the program at MWU both Chicago and Glendale locations is the same person who established the Chicago State program. The same person. Dean Slatkin. The programs are very similar.

I am a nontrad student...who use to be the Vice President of Operations for a manufacturing company that did about five million dollars worth of sales per year. So I am familiar with hard work. The Chicago State program is rigorous. Nobody is going to give you a pass. If this is the experience of getting a diploma at a diploma mill then let me tell you they are making diploma mills significantly harder these days.

Let me tell you my general schedule. I went to school from roughly 8 - 4 each day with an hour for lunch (which was often taken over by some workshop or mandatory lecture) then when I got home at about five I took care of my daughter, made dinner, helped her with her homework, gave her a bath and she was in bed by 7:30. Then I went to bed at about 8:00 pm. I would wake up at 2:00 am and would study until about 6:00 am when I would get my daughter up and begin the day. Again, the CSU pharmacy program was established by Dean Slatkin the same person who set up MWU's programs. So you need to ask yourself if this Dean managed to set up two pharmacy programs that are run competently what are the chances that he failed miserably on the third try? The extra gray hairs in my head are my personal proof that the school's program is tough.

Now regarding who would have a better chance...well, common sense would tell you that in the Illinois area most pharmacists are going to be grads of UofI or MWU....and so they are going to have a bias. CSU has problems in their undergrad programs that is true...but in the pharmacy program I have seen nothing that makes me concerned...in fact, I wish they would be a little easier on us but I understand why pharmacy programs are so hard...there is just a huge amount to learn...and to learn it in such a small amount of time and to have that knowledge stick they must deluge us with information and work. I do think that UofI and MWU grads would have an easier time of it (by how much I don't know and wouldn't feel comfortable speculating on) but mainly because of the bias and not because of actual factual information. I do think the best way to know for yourself however is to apply, interview, and form your own opinion after talking to the people at CSU.Since the first class at CSU has not graduated yet no one can say for certain what kind of experience CSU grads will have when looking for a job.

My question for those that say that CSU is awful...what are your facts? We have professors with dual MDs and PhDs. We have professors from top schools like Harvard. The majority of professors have been hand picked by Dean Slatkin. A number of the professors have taught at other well known COPs. So what are the facts that make CSU's COP program so bad? I have posted a link on our COPs facebook page inviting other P1s to come comment on this thread to give you some feedback from other students.

Last edited:
In all fairness the IPPE rotations are the first rotations that students go on. If they do not have any pharmacy experience then they are not going to know very much and therefore not be that good. I think if you really want to condemn a school / program and all the hard working people within that program you should do it based on a reasonable sample (sorry too much stats) of people. I would be interested in hearing of your experiences with the APPE students from CSU once you deal with them on rotations.

Please keep in mind that the person who created and established the program at MWU both Chicago and Glendale locations is the same person who established the Chicago State program. The same person. Dean Slatkin. The programs are very similar.

I am a nontrad student...who use to be the Vice President of Operations for a manufacturing company that did about five million dollars worth of sales per year. So I am familiar with hard work. The Chicago State program is rigorous. Nobody is going to give you a pass. If this is the experience of getting a diploma at a diploma mill then let me tell you they are making diploma mills significantly harder these days.

Let me tell you my general schedule. I went to school from roughly 8 - 4 each day with an hour for lunch (which was often taken over by some workshop or mandatory lecture) then when I got home at about five I took care of my daughter, made dinner, helped her with her homework, gave her a bath and she was in bed by 7:30. Then I went to bed at about 8:00 pm. I would wake up at 2:00 am and would study until about 6:00 am when I would get my daughter up and begin the day. Again, the CSU pharmacy program was established by Dean Slatkin the same person who set up MWU's programs. So you need to ask yourself if this Dean managed to set up two pharmacy programs that are run competently what are the chances that he failed miserably on the third try? The extra gray hairs in my head are my personal proof that the school's program is tough.

Now regarding who would have a better chance...well, common sense would tell you that in the Illinois area most pharmacists are going to be grads of UofI or MWU....and so they are going to have a bias. CSU has problems in their undergrad programs that is true...but in the pharmacy program I have seen nothing that makes me concerned...in fact, I wish they would be a little easier on us but I understand why pharmacy programs are so hard...there is just a huge amount to learn...and to learn it in such a small amount of time and to have that knowledge stick they must deluge us with information and work. I do think that UofI and MWU grads would have an easier time of it (by how much I don't know and wouldn't feel comfortable speculating on) but mainly because of the bias and not because of actual factual information. I do think the best way to know for yourself however is to apply, interview, and form your own opinion after talking to the people at CSU.Since the first class at CSU has not graduated yet no one can say for certain what kind of experience CSU grads will have when looking for a job.

My question for those that say that CSU is awful...what are your facts? We have professors with dual MDs and PhDs. We have professors from top schools like Harvard. The majority of professors have been hand picked by Dean Slatkin. A number of the professors have taught at other well known COPs. So what are the facts that make CSU's COP program so bad? I have posted a link on our COPs facebook page inviting other P1s to come comment on this thread to give you some feedback from other students.

Thank you for your post. You are right and I agree with all your points.

Do you mind if I propose a case scenario? If you were accepted to every single Chicagoland school (MWU, UIC, SIU, CSU, Rosalind, Roosevelt), which school would you go to and why?

Hmmm....well, of course it is hard to say definitively when you don't really "know" first hand what each school is like. But I will try and tell you how I feel about each school and why.

UIC - Great reputation, bragging rights, inexpensive tuition, knowledgeable professors, was worried about just being a number there and not getting help if I needed it, was worried about there possibly being a less than team oriented atmosphere and having to deal with cut throat infighting among the students. Was worried about possibly having to deal with a program that had been in existence for so long that it was not flexible or dynamic to the needs of the students in any way. Now there is no way of knowing if those last three items are valid. These were my concerns and worries. Probably the best school to have on your resume if going for a residency.

MWU - Really good reputation, bragging rights, substantially more expensive especially if you calculate all four years plus interest on that extra amount, have heard conflicting reports on whether school is very student focused and helpful or if that is not really the case, good professors, feeling I got was that the school was very "white bread" versus more diverse and that a "right" type of student was admitted with the occasional token "other" students (foreign, older, etc.) I have no actual proof of this, it was just my take away feeling. Good team approach to encourage cooperation among the students.

SIU - Decent reputation, solid no nonsense school, inexpensive in the realm of UIC, research oriented program, was not an option for me since I was not already from Southern Illinois and could not move that far away, accepts mainly in state and Southern Illinois residents.

CSU - Crummy reputation among the uninformed, decent reputation among the informed, small program so more likely to be able to extend energy to focus on individual students if needed, good team approach to encourage cooperation among the students, incredible diversity on a scale that makes you feel proud, inexpensive, good professors, some frustrating aspects of dealing with a large bureaucratic organization (the University in general - not the COP) that still has a lot of improvements to make.

Rosalind Franklin - Very solid health care education history, new program, expensive, would be in first class so that could be good as excitement is probably high but also could be not good in that there might be a lot of kinks that need to be worked out of the program and the first class would certainly have to "experience" those kinks.

Roosevelt - Not really known as an educator of health care professionals, expensive, three year program, a lot of unknowns, was worried if they would be able to find decent professors in Illinois or decent rotation sites, first class issues stated above in Rosalind Franklin.

So, if I had my pick of schools (it was totally up to me) and there were no considerations like not having a full year of physics (this was why I did not even apply to UIC or SIU) or having to stay in the Chicagoland area (for my daughter and my currently owned property) then I would say that I would probably have picked SIU and UIC as a tie, CSU, MWU, Rosalind Franklin, Roosevelt.....in that order.

Some personal factors that led to my decision. I did not want to wait another full year to apply due to being one semester shy of physics....I could not move because to sell my two houses meant I would have taken a 100,000 bath due to the real estate market....SIU doesn't accept that many Northern Illinois residents, I did not want to take out the big loans necessary to go to MWU, Rosalind Franklin, or Roosevelt, Rosalind Franklin and Roosevelt were not open yet, CSU would allow me (unofficially) to finish my last two courses during the summer session. I felt really comfortable at my CSU interview and thought I could do well there.

Hope this helped. I'm off to study something.

Last edited:
I have an Interview for CSU on Feb 16th and Midwestern CCP on Feb 18th. I'm coming from out of state, and am thinking about just staying in a hotel somewhere in the middle. Exactly how far of a drive are the two from eachother?

Anyone else interviewing on these dates?

Good luck at your interview!! You could stay somewhere between the schools but then you would have less chance of getting a feel for the location you might be living in....my suggestion would be to stay near MWU. You should be able to find a reasonably priced hotel in the lombard, downers grove, oakbrook terrace, etc. area. My father finds great deals using priceline on hotels in that exact area for business. Often a really nice hotel room for $40ish without tax.

ihave an interview for CSU on feb 16, does anyone know about the interview process and how soon you can find out about acceptance?

Thank you very much for a better insight, Pharmgrl. It was exactly what I needed - for a CSU student post a first-hand detailed info about their pharm program.

I live a few mins away from CSU, and yes...I know what you mean by the "crummy reputation" it has...instigated by several other areas of the university.

I just wasn't sure if that "stain" was applicable to their virgin pharmacy program. That's why I've been curious & somewhat reluctant to apply.

But I just sent my pharmcas app, & I'm currently engaged with the supplemental now. Now I'm beginning to hope I get in; the additional advantage of geographical convenience & (tuition) cost-efficiency are very attractive perks that are also influencing my decision.

I'd really count myself to be very lucky if I eventually get accepted, for the fact I applied a day before the deadline. I mean, if it is a first come, first serve basis...I might be wait-listed or rejected. One other question: how fast is the admission/interview process?

Last edited:
You would think that this information would stick in your head wouldn't you? The truth is I can only partially remember it now. There have been so many other things shoved into my noggin this first P1 year that anything absolutely not necessary was erased a long time ago. Your best bet is to go back and look at my posts (you can use the search function to search by my user name) starting back around January of 2010. You should be able to see the timeline from my posts of when I applied, posts about the supplemental, posts waiting to hear back for an interview, posts about the interview, the day I got the acceptance email, etc. Man I talk (type) alot. I would hate to give you an inaccurate timeline of events based on my faulty memories of a year ago.

@electrode

if I remember correctly, Chicago State is very fast and quick in their decisions. I think it was no more than a week before I heard a response. They have a lady (forgot her name) who is in charge of sending out the acceptance emails + snail mail and she's good. I remember emailing her several times and I always received a response within 24 hrs

Okay...I'll see what happens. I just hope that messy snow didn't swallow my supp I dropped in a mailbox a day before it started. Thanks to you both anyway.

Hey CSU applicants. I just had my interview this Feb. 18th.... I feel the interview went well and will be hoping for the best right now.

I have been reading alot of the latest thread posts from all the way back to the class of 2014... pharmgrlnxdor --Thanks for all those detailed out information you have provided us with. There was one in particular I read (the one you posted after your interview) and the complete experience you got out of it.... It was VERY SIMILIAR to what i had experienced this friday and definitely was comforting to know what i was getting into

I guess now I wait.....And see what happens. :xf:

I think this school is kinda slow on making decisions/ sending out interviews.

Have any of you got accepted to this school for Class of 2015 yet?

Please keep us posted! Thanks!

Not I...haven't heard back yet.... Then again its only been like 3 business days..... Just gotta keep waiting

just got accepted for class of 2015 :) who else has gotten accepted and plans on going to csu?

just got accepted for class of 2015 :) who else has gotten accepted and plans on going to csu?

Congrats! When did you submit your supp. application? and when did you interview with them? Did they email or mail or call you to announce the acceptance?

I submitted my supp. on mid Jan and still have not heard anything...

I got an e-mail saying that I was accepted for the class of 2015 too!! =P. They were pretty quick in their decision-making post interview...I heard a week later. Although I sent in my supplemental application in November...

Congratulations you two! I also heard back from CSU last week. (exactly 1 week after my interview). My application has been placed on- Hold/Continously Review.

Will try and stay positive and hopefully for the time being... I really do hope to become your class mates! I think Chicago State would fit me perfectly...I hope it works out in my near future!

i think i handed in my supp towards the end of december around the 23rd of december or so and i had an invite for an interview end of jan for feb 17th. i got my acceptance on the 25th so it was pretty fast and they emailed me the acceptance letter.

Congrats! When did you submit your supp. application? and when did you interview with them? Did they email or mail or call you to announce the acceptance?

I submitted my supp. on mid Jan and still have not heard anything...

thanks!! i hope you get in too! would be awesome to be classmates :)

wish you all the best!

Congratulations you two! I also heard back from CSU last week. (exactly 1 week after my interview). My application has been placed on- Hold/Continously Review.

Will try and stay positive and hopefully for the time being... I really do hope to become your class mates! I think Chicago State would fit me perfectly...I hope it works out in my near future!

congrats!! when was ur interview? maybe we were at the same interview lol. are u planning on going here?

I got an e-mail saying that I was accepted for the class of 2015 too!! =P. They were pretty quick in their decision-making post interview...I heard a week later. Although I sent in my supplemental application in November...

Best of luck to you!!

congrats!! when was ur interview? maybe we were at the same interview lol. are u planning on going here?

My interview was on Feb. 18th (I was in the PM group). When was yours? I am waiting to hear from another school but as of right now, I am planning to go to CSU. How about you?

My interview was on Feb. 18th (I was in the PM group). When was yours? I am waiting to hear from another school but as of right now, I am planning to go to CSU. How about you?
WAHOOOO!!! I just got my acceptance email today. I was also in the Feb 18th PM interview. Im so excited to be in!

I also got accepted to CSU last week!!! Was soo excited and wasn't expecting it that early.

oh ok...my interview was on the 17th of feb in the am. so i guess all of you guys were from the 18th lol. i wonder if anyone else got accepted from my interview group.

Anyhow...this is exciting. ive gotten accepted at another school in ny but im probably gonna end up here since im from chicago.

but we should all make a facebook page or something! we can all get to know each other better before school starts!

Hey guys, I got an interview on march 21. Any pointers, and is there any essay? also what airport do i fly to. Thanks

oh ok...my interview was on the 17th of feb in the am. so i guess all of you guys were from the 18th lol. i wonder if anyone else got accepted from my interview group. Anyhow...this is exciting. ive gotten accepted at another school in ny but im probably gonna end up here since im from chicago. but we should all make a facebook page or something! we can all get to know each other better before school starts!
I think that would be a great idea with the facebook page. Would help for an easy transition for when the year and class starts.

hey everyone,
I have been accepted into the class of 2015, just a few questions for everyone else out there.
----------------
-Where are people looking for living arrangements, all my research says the area is pretty rough...I don't mind driving (up to 20 minutes or so), but I need a safer area for my wife, also need to be able to find somewhere that will take my dog.

-Whats the word with Douglas Hall? When I interviewed it was a pretty serious exam day and we really didn't see much of the building (labs/classrooms) any impressions on the rooms from someone who saw them?

-Anyone debating between Midwestern and CSU? I would say there are serious pros/cons for each school.
CSU PROS CSU CONS
------------ -------------
-motivated faculty -bad area
-less expensive -not fully accredited (yet)
-smaller class size -no proven track record (above)

Midwestern PROS Midwestern CONS
-------------------- --------------------
-beautiful campus -very expensive in comparison
-high tech classroom/labs -huge class size
-well respected -EXPENSIVE

Look forward to hearing from some of you, and likely seeing you in August!