Chicago State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
well, since I am procrastinating and not studying for a Statistics exam, you are the benefiary of my wasted time. So I checked out trip advisor and hotels.com and the only hotel in Oak Lawn is the Hilton at about $120 for a room.

If you are familiar with navigating public transportation systems (like you lived in New York) and aren't afraid of getting lost and stressing out I would guess you could find a hotel along the red line closer to Chicago ( a chain is still a good idea) but I personally would opt for the Oak Lawn Hilton.

Members don't see this ad.

Remember American Taxi is a suburban taxi company. You'll have to call them from O'Hare/Midway or in Chicago from them to pick you up. Look up their phone number ahead of time because there are a lot of similar names at the airport taxi directories.

I had my interview last week and I got a hold email 2 days later on Friday the 12th, saying HOLD and that they will continually review my application, and a decision would be made no later than May 15th. When I went for my interview they said that I was missing 1 recommendation letter and I just sent the letter to them today. What is this mean pls help?

Members don't see this ad :)
I had my interview last week and I got a hold email 2 days later on Friday the 12th, saying HOLD and that they will continually review my application, and a decision would be made no later than May 15th. When I went for my interview they said that I was missing 1 recommendation letter and I just sent the letter to them today. What is this mean pls help?

hey! ya i got the same thing. i was missing a recommendation letter from a sci prof. go ask someone to write you a letter and get it mailed to amilia diaz. her mailing info is on your interview letter at the bottom. email her after you get your reference to let her know that it is in the mail and she will receive it soon. I would do it asap. this one does not need to go through pharmcas or any of the b.s. just a letter to amilia and she will send it to the admission committee. hope it helps.

Great yes it does help thank you, spoke to Amilia and she said she email me when she receives it. Did you hear back from them after you mailed the letter? I am anxiousley waiting for CSU's reply.

They said at the interview that if your file was not complete that they would not review your file for acceptance until it was complete. So, until they receive your last letter they will not be looking at your file and hence you automatically recieved the HOLD letter. Once that letter has been received they will review your file at their next scheduled review date which seems to be on Friday, although I don't know if that is every Friday, every other Friday, one Friday a month. Maybe someone else knows this information.

After my application had been mailed already per PharmCAS, my supplemental application information said the same thing for about a month until CSU was able to go through my file and note that the appropriate LORs were received. After that point, my PharmCAS was updated to reflect what items they had received and when.

How long has it been since PharmCAS mailed your application to CSU? If it has been more than a month then it would be a good idea to email CSU and mention that it has been a while and your supp materials list does not reflect your submission of the LORs. You have forwarded your supplemental application at this point right?

thx for the info! and no, I haven't sent in my supplemental yet. deadline is march 1st, ain't it? lol, I'm a major procrastinator.

if worse comes to worse, i will drop it off at CSU directly since i live in chicago. most likely, i will not resort to this and should have it in the mail by next monday. but thanks again for the advice. this forum is so helpful for pharmacy hopefuls

Last edited:
What I get is that you won't see the information updated on PharmCAS for CSU (it is under the supplemental area that you are looking)until you submit your supplemental.

If you think about it, this makes sense. Right now your app is not complete until the supplemental is in. I don't think the admin staff is going to take the time to start looking through your file and enter what is still needed until you forward the supplemental and the fee. If, for instance, someone decided to apply but not submit the supplemental and fee, all that time entering info would be wasted.

It may take up to a month until after your app is completed (with supplemental and fee delivered) for you to see that section updated. That is how long it took for me to see it updated.

You should send your supp in immediately!! Considering they accept on a rolling basis, once all the seats are gone, that's it!! Some people send it in as early as June/July 09. It seems alot of ppl are interviewing or getting accepted alreadieee....I'm so nervous, DDAY is monday for my interview. DUN DUN DUN. Hope I can charm them with my uber cool personality. Oh PS: about how much is flat rate from O'hare to the school w/ American Taxi? I looked it up and it's about 45 minutes...Just want a heads up on how much mula to bring. Thanks!!

I use to travel all the time for work and would use them, American Taxi that is. I have not used them in about a year and a half, at the time the ride and tip came to $37, but that was from O'Hare to the outer suburbs. I would guess the absolute max to Chicago area with tip would be $42, I am sure it will be a little less but I doubt you would spend more than that. Good luck!!

At the interview we were told that there were three possible outcomes from your interview. The first outcome was to receive an acceptance, the second outcome was to be put on HOLD for continuous review. This could happen if your file was incomplete or if your file was complete but the admissions committee had not decided to offer you a spot at that point.

Being on Hold for contiuous review means that you have not at this point been rejected and each time the committee meets to discuss applicants your file will be up for another chance for admittance.

Since you are out of state and CSU is a state school I think that in state applicants are given first crack. If I were you, I would send the interviewers that you dealt with as well as the admissions deans you dealt with...everyone you can remember....a thank you note for the interview and in it state how eager you are to attend their program. This politely gets you an opportunity to put your name in front of them again.

I do think as the cycle winds down for all Illinois schools ....April, Mayish, that qualified out of state applicants will be sent acceptance letters. This is because it is not until then that UIC is done offering acceptances (round about then) and a major reshuffling of students happens among the pharmacy schools here in Illinois. It is complicated but again I think you would hear something by then.

Knowing what I do as an Illinois pharmacy hopeful, I would not be discouraged if I were an out of state applicant.

Ooops almost forgot to list the last outcome which is an outright rejection letter. Of course, they said this does not ever happen at this point in the game unless you have done something really egregious during the interview. They gave an example of someone swearing during their interview.

Last edited:
For those of us that's on Hold, any1 got a reply back from CSU since today is Friday? This wait is killing me! I want to attend CSU so bad I'll be heart broken if I don't get in! :( I'm hoping they reviewed the holds today and send emails out on Monday! Did any1 got an email from CSU today pls speak up?:xf:

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I was on hold. I received an acceptance email from last friday. I will most like decline my acceptance because I made a deposit at another school already. I am from out of state. So, one extra seat open for you guys. Best luck.

For those of us that's on Hold, any1 got a reply back from CSU since today is Friday? This wait is killing me! I want to attend CSU so bad I'll be heart broken if I don't get in! :( I'm hoping they reviewed the holds today and send emails out on Monday! Did any1 got an email from CSU today pls speak up?:xf:

I was on hold. I received an acceptance email from last friday. I will most like decline my acceptance because I made a deposit at another school already. I am from out of state. So, one extra seat open for you guys. Best luck.

iluvsmile-Thank u for the INFO & Congratulation on ur acceptance. Did you get ur acceptance email on Friday the 12th or on Friday the 19th?

for those interviewed at CSU, may I ask what type of questions did they ask you guys? is it an open/close file interview?

congrat those got accepted... :)

At the interview we were told that there were three possible outcomes from your interview. The first outcome was to receive an acceptance, the second outcome was to be put on HOLD for continuous review. This could happen if your file was incomplete or if your file was complete but the admissions committee had not decided to offer you a spot at that point.

Being on Hold for contiuous review means that you have not at this point been rejected and each time the committee meets to discuss applicants your file will be up for another chance for admittance.

Since you are out of state and CSU is a state school I think that in state applicants are given first crack. If I were you, I would send the interviewers that you dealt with as well as the admissions deans you dealt with...everyone you can remember....a thank you note for the interview and in it state how eager you are to attend their program. This politely gets you an opportunity to put your name in front of them again.

I do think as the cycle winds down for all Illinois schools ....April, Mayish, that qualified out of state applicants will be sent acceptance letters. This is because it is not until then that UIC is done offering acceptances (round about then) and a major reshuffling of students happens among the pharmacy schools here in Illinois. It is complicated but again I think you would hear something by then.

Knowing what I do as an Illinois pharmacy hopeful, I would not be discouraged if I were an out of state applicant.

Ooops almost forgot to list the last outcome which is an outright rejection letter. Of course, they said this does not ever happen at this point in the game unless you have done something really egregious during the interview. They gave an example of someone swearing during their interview.

Thanks! I appreciate the help!

for those interviewed at CSU, may I ask what type of questions did they ask you guys? is it an open/close file interview?

congrat those got accepted... :)

It is a closed file interview, very relaxed. I had 2 professors and a P2 student interview me. They focused on situational questions...Have you ever been put in the situation where someone wasnt pulling their work load? How did you handle the situation?....things like that. The interview is 30 minutes long but goes by pretty quickly. Just have to relax and show them who you really are, you'll do great!

iluvsmile-Thank u for the INFO & Congratulation on ur acceptance. Did you get ur acceptance email on Friday the 12th or on Friday the 19th?

Pretty sure they only meet every other friday (twice a month)... therefore this friday is the big day!

I received an interview date from CSU, but Im very unsure about the accreditation situation... Do you guys think if it will be fully accreditated or not?

I received an interview date from CSU, but Im very unsure about the accreditation situation... Do you guys think if it will be fully accreditated or not?

From my knowledge, there has not been a school that failed to gain accreditation after obtaining pre-accreditation status. (Please correct me if I am wrong) Therefore, I believe CSU will gain accreditation once its first class graduates.

side note: My friend and I went to drop off our supplemental a few days ago and I admit, I had negative preconceptions of the place. When we arrived, we found the campus to be really big and spacious. The walkways are nice and curvy, unlike UIC's straight paths.

Buildings are modern-looking too. We come from UIC with our big old concrete buildings so our standards weren't exactly that high, but the place definitely looks decent in my eyes :)

more notes: also, when we got there, we went to Douglas Hall with no clue where to go. Fortunately the faculty members there were all very kind and told us where to go. Although the receptionist for student affairs was at a meeting (we were informed to give her our supplemental), a individual by the name of Charisse Johnson (director of the college of pharmacy?) came up to us and gladly accepted our supplemental while giving us her business card. nice!

Last edited:
All schools that have applied properly for accreditation and have received pre-candidate status have ultimately become accredited with the graduation of their first class. Chicago State University has been in existence since 1867. It is a state school for the third largest metropolitan city in the country. They aren't going anywhere.

The people running the COP are very friendly (as already stated by the last person), professional, and clearly know what they are doing. The College of Pharmacy isn't going anywhere either.

Once you get to the interview, the Dean of Admissions spends a solid fifteen minutes discussing the Accreditation process to you and where they are at so you understand it and are not concerned with it anymore.

All of the concern about the accreditation process is because of that crazy situation that happened in Hawaii where some people decided to open a pharmacy school, invite students, and then apply for accreditation by the proper board. Well, you can't do it that way. You need to start at the board, figure out the correct steps to take, follow those steps, etc. Then after a certain number of requirements are met you get to offer spots to students. That school failed becasue they didn't follow the rules. Their students suffered because of it. And now every legitimate school that goes through the accreditation process seems to have to allay the fears of its prospective students. I suggest you go for the interview, meet the people, listen to what they have to say, and then you will be able to make your own educated decision. I am sure you will see there is nothing to worry about. Anyone who says otherwise does not have the facts. Lastly, Chicago State University has been ahead of schedule lately on completing the requirements of the accreditation board. In two more years this whole issue will be a moot point once the first class graduates.

Last edited:
Yeahhh, I just got my acceptance email yesterday from CSU, this week has been a great week for me I also got my acceptance letter from a fully accredited Private School but the debt IS FOR REAL. My family and I have been discussing all week about which school I should go to. So yeah, I chose CSU I think I could feel at home here and not have too much debt on my head once I finsh School. I am not worried about CSU's accreditation status b/c it's a State School and State School's usually will get accreditation status than private Schools the only school that was denied accreditation status was called Hawaii College of Pharmacy (HICP) and it was owned by an private organization called Pacific Educational Services so I chose CSU over a fully accredited school b/c is much closer to home and will be about $20,000
less a year. Good luck to everyone. I was really stressed out, while applying for schools. I didn't care what school I got into, I just wanted to get in SOMEWHERE! Well, now that part is over for me, and now I have to worry about getting physical exams and TB tests and such. I have a lot to get done

if I received an interview from CSU does it mean that I'll most likely get accepted? Im so nervous to go for an interview...!

I calculated the likelihood of getting an acceptance after interview at 38%. This was based on the number of people that were interviewed (stated by last year's CSU applicants) and how many were ultimately accepted into the program.

Channel your nervous energy into enthusiasm. Don't suppress your excitement at being at the interview, let some of it come through and that will reflect very positively upon you. If you are not one to be able to act effusive then I would just flat out say it as the first thing during the solo interview portion. "I am really very excited (or happy if excited is too strong of a word for you) to be here today."

since Im still finishing up my prereqs how soon after the interview does the school suppose to let me know if Im accepted or not??? Thanks a lot. I appreciate it.

After you have your interview the admission committee will meet either that Friday or the next Friday. They go over all the applicant's files that interviewed and you are classified as acceptance, hold pending further review, or rejection.

If during that meeting you are accepted you should probably receive notification within the week but up to three weeks at the latest. I am going off personal experience and the timeframes I calculated from last year's applicants.

If during that meeting you are classified as hold pending further review the admission committee has A) either decided to not offer an acceptance at that time and will review your file at their next meeting or B) can't make a decision because your file for some reason is not complete. You can make certain your file is complete by going to the PharmCAS section Supplemental Applications and verifying that CSU shows that you have turned in everything they have asked for. If you don't have everything turned in then do so ASAP so a decision will not be put off regarding your status.

Doing something extremely inappropriate would be the only reason you would receive an outright rejection at this point so I wouldn't worry about that. Good Luck!!

I calculated the likelihood of getting an acceptance after interview at 38%. This was based on the number of people that were interviewed (stated by last year's CSU applicants) and how many were ultimately accepted into the program.

do you have a link of last year's stats such as average GPA, PCAT score, etc etc? i am wondering if I am competitive enough for the program. thanks!

Well, I had a very hard time coming up with an average PCAT - more likely that they just want to see a score over a certain level although they say they do not have a minimum.

As far as the average GPA I believe this is listed on PharmCAS under School Information and then pull up CSU.

Well, I had a very hard time coming up with an average PCAT - more likely that they just want to see a score over a certain level although they say they do not have a minimum.

As far as the average GPA I believe this is listed on PharmCAS under School Information and then pull up CSU.

thanks! i completely forgot about that website :p

and for those who are interested:
http://www.pharmcas.org/collegesschools/schoolchicagostatepage.htm

Estimated number interviewed for fall 2009 Entering Class: 230 • Estimated number accepted:
90 • Estimated fall 2009 entering class size including early assurance & transfer seats:
90 • Estimated number of early assurance students advancing to the professional program:
N/A • Estimated number of transfer applicants accepted:
0 • Estimated number of out-of-state applicants accepted:
18 • Estimated percent of males in 2009 Entering Class:
45% • Estimated percent of females in 2009 Entering Class:
55% CRITERIA

• Estimated average GPA of accepted students:
3.2 • Number of IN-STATE seats available for fall 2010 Entering Class:
72 • Number of OUT-OF-STATE seats available for fall 2010 Entering Class:
18 • Number of TRANSFER seats available for fall 2010 Entering Class:
0 • Minimum overall GPA considered (if applicable):
2.5 • Minimum prerequisite GPA considered (if applicable):
N/A • Minimum composite PCAT score considered (enter N/A if not required):
No minimum

I just received my invitation for the interview! But could NOT find this school in the Interview Feedback Section. Am i BLIND??? if there is none for this school can someone pleae tell me the format of the interview? how long it is? ( group or individual...) THank you Very MUCH!!

By the way, someone said there was a 40ish% chance of being accepted, but is that taking into consideration that many of those accepted decline the spot and it is offered to someone else? Chicago state is not a lot of peoples top choice so I think the odds of getting a spot even after being placed hold is much higher than it looks.

Just got interview email today! Good luck guys :)

By the way, someone said there was a 40ish% chance of being accepted, but is that taking into consideration that many of those accepted decline the spot and it is offered to someone else? Chicago state is not a lot of peoples top choice so I think the odds of getting a spot even after being placed hold is much higher than it looks.

Just got interview email today! Good luck guys :)

No I am pretty sure that it does not include those who declined acceptance after their interview. It's just based off of the stats that are on Pharmcas for CSU. Approx 230 interviewed and approx 90 accepted students (or 90 available seats). This might be a reason why they did/do interview so many, so they can make sure they fill all their available seats. So yes if you are serious about CSU and they are one of your top choices, your odds are probably better than 40%.
Congrats on the interview and good luck, I will be their this upcoming Tuesday.

I just received my invitation for the interview! But could NOT find this school in the Interview Feedback Section. Am i BLIND??? if there is none for this school can someone pleae tell me the format of the interview? how long it is? ( group or individual...) THank you Very MUCH!!

hoeky428 posted this earlier in the thread about the interview process:

It is a closed file interview, very relaxed. I had 2 professors and a P2 student interview me. They focused on situational questions...Have you ever been put in the situation where someone wasnt pulling their work load? How did you handle the situation?....things like that. The interview is 30 minutes long but goes by pretty quickly. Just have to relax and show them who you really are, you'll do great!

Thanks ecuagallo!

But, is there no interview feedbacks for this school on SDN? I mean if you go to the interview feedback section you can find pretty much all the pharm schools listed ..and students posting up the interview questions that they got. I just wish I was more prepared! And, also, is there a criticial thinking exam or essay part? How should I prepare for those??
Thank you So much!!

Thanks ecuagallo!

But, is there no interview feedbacks for this school on SDN? I mean if you go to the interview feedback section you can find pretty much all the pharm schools listed ..and students posting up the interview questions that they got. I just wish I was more prepared! And, also, is there a criticial thinking exam or essay part? How should I prepare for those??
Thank you So much!!

I looked and also couldn't find an interview feedback summary for CSU. I wonder if they make students sign a nondisclosure form, purely speculation. Anyways from what others have said they try to make it as relaxed as possible. I would assume they ask some of they same general Q's, tell us about yourself, why pharmacy, and then as others have stated situational questions. I don't believe there is a writing section, mostly because when there is, schools tend to disclose that they have a writing exercise. I don't know if that helps or if this helps any but according to their info under pharmcas they describe their interview process as such:

The Admissions Committee reviews a prospective student’s application to determine their interview eligibility. All interviews are scheduled on a first-called/first-scheduled basis. During the interview process, the student meets individually with a three-person interview team composed of pharmacy faculty, pharmacists, advisory board members, preceptors and/or students. Applicants are evaluated on potential academic abilities, communication skills, and adaptability to the profession of pharmacy. Applicants will be notified by the College of Pharmacy of their status. No phone calls please.

http://www.pharmcas.org/collegesschools/schoolchicagostatepage.htm

However I am not sure how to necessarily prepare either, I have gone over Q's from other schools and then tried to think of different scenarios and how I would respond. Ultimately just try to relax (easier said than done, I know) and show them who you really are, that's what they are trying to find out.

i had my interview on 2-10 and was accepted :) congrats to those accepted so far...hard work pays off. waiting on another school but looks like ill be going here as of now...and actively looking for a roommate!

Since my commute would be an hour, I'll be one of the few (probably) that will be dorming because it's convenient. I'd really like to room with a fellow pharm student though, so if anyone is thinking about dorming and might be interested, holla!

Thanks ecuagallo!

and I agree the tickets are VERY expensive..so im not booking a hotel...but rather got a ticket that arrives at 9am...and going straight to my interview at 11:45am. so hopefully NO DELAYS on the plane!! T.T

ONe question!
Im from southern california..so not familiar with the weather of chicago except for that i know its Extremely cold. I wore a blazer, blouse, and a pencil skirt for my other interview...but for Chicago State ( since its so cold) what should be appropriate attire for the interview? Is it rude to wear a coat? am i suppose to take it off? Thanks GUYS!! ( im a female by the way! ) :)

J1Pharm-

The outfit you described sounds great, personally I prefer a black suit (I'm a girl), but I have seen lots of girls in my last 4 interviews wearing pencil skirts. You may want to consider wearing black nylons, but I've seen girls wear transparent ones too.

Not at all rude to wear a coat, they will provide a place for you to put or hang your coat once you come in and sit down... thats normal procedure in Chicago.... funny I never realized thats not normal everywhere lol!

I had an interview today in Chicago and it was just warm enough to wear only my blazer on the outside campus tour. But make sure you bring the coat! Chicago weather is unpredictable...

Good Luck

for those who got accepted to CSU.....
I had an interivew a week ago. How long did u guys wait for an acceptance email ?

for those who got accepted to CSU.....
I had an interivew a week ago. How long did u guys wait for an acceptance email ?

Two days. I interviewed on 2/10 and got my acceptance email 2/12. I think it was just the timing though, they happened to have an admissions meeting that friday.

Since spring is officially here, do you guys think a shirt+tie will suffice? My interview is next Thursday! Quite excited

if My interview was a week ago and I still did not receive an email, does it mean I dont have a chance????:scared: Im soooo nervous!!! Keep checking my email....

Two days. I interviewed on 2/10 and got my acceptance email 2/12. I think it was just the timing though, they happened to have an admissions meeting that friday.

If my memory serves me correctly, they have admissions meetings every other friday.

I interviewed last Tuesday (3/9) and just received an acceptance email today.