Cheerleading Captain wants to make med school's cut--but how?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Common belief is major really doesn't mean that much to adcom. Sure, a chemical engineering major might beat out a psychology major if they have equal everything else, but chances are the chemical engineer isn't going to beat out the psych major if the psych major has a 4.0 and the chem eng. has a 3.5

Members don't see this ad.

I just want to ask a quick question. Do you honestly take "40 credit hours" a semester? I am not sure what university you go to (unless you mentioned it somewhere...I started to skim the posts after a while) but most universities have a credit limit. I can't go over 21 under any circumstance. I am almost in doubt that your university would allow this unless you are paying double the tuition. If you were a "normal" student, you would be getting a 4 year degree while only paying for 3 years...I honestly doubt any university would allow such. However, I could be entirely wrong, but the reason there is "tuition" is because of the classes so I don't see how you would be taking so many. My second point is this (the link was posted in another thread) but are you sure your "science" classes are even going to count? Sure all the general pre-reqs will (1 yr of bio,ochem,ichem,physics,math) but a lot of other random stuff you may think is science does not count. Also, people research, volunteer, shadow, and STUDY because they have goals and they know it takes hardwork. Not to mention, if you ask most people, tutoring, teaching/mentoring, volunteering, and shadowing are all wonderful experiences. (and no offense but most people go to sporting events for the sports teams and not the cheerleaders and if your in a "top 10" university, your sport's team most likely isnt that good (although that is not always the case). And let me tell you one thing, my gpa and mcat are what you consider "a boring premed" and I may not have the EC's as you, but I budget my time, work towards a goal, and I have fun. I probably go out 4-5 nights a week, which I am sure is during the time when you are not studying. To be honest, the triple major and crazy EC's could go either way. It could be looked as though you can be a well rounded person or that you don't know when too much is too much. And if you really "enjoyed learning" why not study the material? ...Also I am guessing you went to an inflated HS where getting a good GPA was cake because if you knew you really wanted to be a doctor you wouldn't just say "oh i'll have fun now and worry about grades when I am done college" (thats like the whole "I'll start my diet next week...instead of today"). I am sorry I couldn't offer any help, but calling everyone "boring premeds" is ridiculous, these people (including me) knew they wanted to be doctors and know what it takes. Fortunately for us, most of us have the GPA and MCAT to be competitive, while you will be spending the next 2-3 years after you graduate wondering why you didn't just try in college. Also, until you have a semester of a "3.9" don't just say you could do it easily because it is not easy and just because you get a 3.4 or whatever taking 40 credits doesnt translate to a 3.9 if you take 20 credits. I truely hope to never meet you anywhere in the medical profession, and if I do I hope you are a nurse or a PA working under me, although you probably wouldn't consider either as a profession because they are beneath you. Have a good day.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Also,

I think this post is officially a day old now, I never would've thought it would be this popular.

thanks so much for the advice, it really has opened up my eyes.

Last edited:
Also,

I've said time and time again, that the people that knew they wanted to be a doctor and played the game--that's awesome--it worked out the way you planned it! I think that predictable things are kind of boring, so I'm sorry that I said that you were boring.

Congratulations to everyone who has used college as a stepping stone to medical school--you chose the easy way and you should be happy your not me and it's worked like clock-work!

But then again, this experience will lead me to others, and I am thankful for that. In economics we talk about risk aversion and how this affects one's utility. i would characterize myself as a risk-loving person--I get more satisfaction out of something whenever risk is involved. So in terms of my application to medical school, I would be much happier knowing that I took a risk and didn't go the safe way.

In other news, I've looked at most of the Master's programs and I really like the one's from BU, Georgetown, Case Western, and Tufts. I definitely would love the challenge of actually being in med school classes while being involved in a research/thesis as well. they also accept the GRE I believe, so I think I'll do that instead of having to study for the MCAT. I'll do what LizzyM recommends and take that the summer after I graduate when i can focus for real.

So I'm going to finish out this year still double the classes, say good bye to my cheer uniform, maybe do a senior thesis, finish out my triple major and minor, and graduate and then move on to my trek to med school.

I think this post is officially a day old now, I never would've thought it would be this popular.

thanks so much for the advice, it really has opened up my eyes.

You need to lose the chip on your shoulder and stop talking about how other pre meds played the "boring, typical" game. Do not think that adcoms want to hear how special your UG experience was compared to "boring" pre meds - it is an instant turn off, not just for SDN premeds, but to anyone who stands between you and a med school acceptance - and one glance at your GPA will seal your fate.

You should open your eyes, read some of the stories here on SDN, and actually talk to some actual non trads, like me, who did anything but the typical pre-med route. An interesting alternative UG or non trad life experience may offer someone a slight edge in med school admissions, but it is for naught without the requisite high GPA, solid 30s MCAT, clinical and volunteer ECs, strong recommendations, etc.

With your poor grades, you have dug yourself a very deep hole, and the challenge ahead of you is quite daunting. Your conceit and arrogance are blinding you, and they stand in your way of actually running this long and treacherous gauntlet successfully.

As for advice, take what I said previously, and what LizzyM said, about taking the MCAT in 2010, and then move forward. As we both suggest, you should give yourself at least one shot at an AMCAS cycle before enrolling in an SMP. If you must go the SMP route, the absolute earliest possible date you will enter med school is over 4 years from now, and possibly 5 or 6 years. Have you really wrapped your brain around that?

Nothing you have written in this thread indicates to me that you have "the right stuff" - the right attitude, aptitude, motivation, and intellectual capacity - to actually do what it will take to climb out of the deep hole that you dug for yourself, but regardless my opinion, I still wish you good luck.

Last edited:
Are you serious? After this much criticism about your huge ego, you still can't stop bringing it back up again?

You CANNOT just make a generalization saying you are more interesting than most of the traditional pre-meds.

College as a stepping stone? What are you even talking about? It is this way for everybody. You have to go through college to get to medical school. You cannot avoid this "stepping stone." And that is still not to say that somehow you have had a more fulfilling experience as an undergraduate. You cheer, you are studying abroad, you have a research grant, you volunteer. NOTHING over the top. Triple major is the only thing that I would actually say is quite impressive, but whose to say I couldn't have triple majored and pulled a 3.0?

Seriously OP, if you wanted us to give you a guarantee that not only would you get into a US allopathic school (which most with your numbers would be more than happy with), but you want to get into a school you have "heard" of, maybe you shouldn't have put so much on your plate. Period.

Hopefully, perhaps while you study abroad, or do whatever you want to follow your dreams, you might find yourself a little more humbled. For your own good.

Dear Cheerleader,
Stop focusing on the negative opinion many have of cheerleading. You have dedicated great amounts of time and energy to the activity and seem to have truly enjoyed it. You are lucky to have found a passion in your life and your dedication to it is admirable; I suspect that medical school admissions committees would view it this way as well.

Your sense of entitlement is what is actually worrisome and distasteful to me. You have a very different perspective than I do about what college should be. The problem with your attitude is in many ways an extreme hyperbole of our generation's "me first" mind-set. You view college as a means of entertainment, and miss the point of higher education.

The goal of higher education is not to provide you with facts and figures to remember; rather, it is meant to teach you how to think critically and solve problems. By and large, college graduates, especially those without professional degrees, work in fields very different from their field of college study.

Taking a glut of classes to satisfy your interests smacks of pleasure seeking behavior, rather than education; if you haven't delved deeply into your readings or thought critically about your coursework, than you have failed in your own education. Taking a ton of classes and getting B's is not what you should be doing if you think you could do better; why not try your best if you can? Again, it's not the quantity of material you learn (especially if it's at a superficial level) but in fact what you have learned from the process of learning itself.

Your pleasure seeking attitude is shared by many of your peers, and it really shows; the fact that these students were able to pass really devalues the worth of a college degree; check this out when you have a little free time: College graduates fail literacy tests: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/12/24/AR2005122400701.html

Keep in mind that some still do view college as a means to develop their skills and gain a chance for future financial security for their families. These students also have other interests as well! If you don't know any people with great GPA's who are also athletes, musicians, volunteers, or all of the above, you aren't looking hard enough. If you don't know any students with great GPA's who also managed to have a blast in college, party every week, etc., then you aren't looking hard enough.

When I say that you need a reality check, it is not because I am trying to smash your dreams. It is because your attitude is out of line. Stop making excuses for your poor GPA and own up to it, there is no way to undo what has been done. I suggest that you seriously evaluate your desire to be a physician and think long and hard about the way you see the world. Do you truly want to be a physician? Physicians are only able to help others because of the knowledge and skills their (hard earned) training has provided them with. Excuses for their failings will do no good to anyone, and undertaking medical training bestows one with great responsibility. Your maturity level and general world view suggest that you are not ready to take on that responsibility, despite the fact that your dedication to other activities (cheerleading, volunteering, etc.) may suggest that you are capable of the work ethic medical training requires.

Also, great posts everyone. If you (Cheerleader) don't listen to a lot of this well pointed advice, it would be a mistake. Though many of these comments seem harsh, keep in mind that most of these people are posting because they want to help you out, not bring you down.

I'm starting to think this Cheerleader girl isn't a real person...is she? Crazy.

Look everyone,

She has a **** GPA, is obviously conceited, and is probably relying on her parents (or is in a ton of debt) to pay for her "once-in-a-lifetime" experiences.... unless you work full-time too, cheerleaderMD :rolleyes:.

No matter how much we try to talk some sense into her, she's always going to have her opinions and views of the world. You can't change people. She's already been given the advice that she needs in this thread: raise that GPA, take the MCAT and see where it takes you, enroll in a SMP, get over yourself, etc. Anything else from here on out is unnecessary.

Spend your time offering advice to other students on this forum. She's had her 15 minutes.

Look everyone,

She has a **** GPA, is obviously conceited, and is probably relying on her parents (or is in a ton of debt) to pay for her "once-in-a-lifetime" experiences.... unless you work full-time too, cheerleaderMD :rolleyes:.

No matter how much we try to talk some sense into her, she's always going to have her opinions and views of the world. You can't change people. She's already been given the advice that she needs in this thread: raise that GPA, take the MCAT and see where it takes you, enroll in a SMP, get over yourself, etc. Anything else from here on out is unnecessary.

Spend your time offering advice to other students on this forum. She's had her 15 minutes.

I agree with you, but my advice, while addressed to her, is intended for anybody who bothers to read this thread.

I would not waste my time with the OP in an IM otherwise...the odds that she will actually be able to "run the gauntlet" are extremely low IMO...I am talking single digits percentage-wise...she will give up when it isn't any fun, when there aren't adoring crowds watching her shake her poms poms...

Look everyone,

Thanks!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Resist the temptation to respond... resist the temptation to respond...

Yes I take 40 hours of class, that means I'm in class 8 hours a day 5 days a week. I'm not sure what credit hours are, but hours, yes this past term I had 40, which has been my highest amount, but I'd probably say I average in the mid-30's most terms.

We do have class limits--I just brake them, and my dean is okay with it because he knows I work hard and I've been taking extra classes from the get-go so he knows that's just what I do. I don't pay extra tuition, I would have to if I graduated early, but I'm not. I could've graduated as a sophomore probably.

I am unsure if my engineering classes will be considered "science" although they are called thermodyamics, diffusion, dynamic,etc. If not, my GPA probably is a little bit lower than what I had said.

Ok, I guess I was right. Your not even a quart low, you're full of it. You did not take any one of those classes with that credit load. I assume you mean dynamics? My engineering buds were spending 10 - 15 hours a week on this class alone and still struggled to keep up with the homework.

You fooled a lot of people on this forum, now go away, troll.

top 10 college

For many reasons, my GPA is not where it needs to be. I have plenty of options.

Cum. GPA: 3.4 Sci. GPA: 3.0

I take tons of class each term, from 1-4 more classes than average... it's been a huge challenge trying to balance this, and it definitely shows in my science GPA.

a research fellowship at top 20 medical school for a summer.

how am I going to get into med school? Going to a top 10 university, I kind of have an inflated ego, so I don't want to go to anywhere that I haven't really heard of (I know that's lame).

Peacecorps. (you would not dare, be honest)

There's a ton of stuff I could do... except these grades, which can be fixed, in a way I guess.

QUOTE]

Your entire presentation of yourself is extremely off-putting. You come across as pretentious and very insecure.

I strongly advise you to printout this thread and tuck it away for a few years. Then, you will know our disgust. I can assure you that medical school is not in your near future. Deep down, you must know it is not meant to be. :)

But thanks for the doubt, and for the last time, Im not troll:(

Last edited:
you have the EC area of your application covered, so doing Teach for America or Peacecorps or anything like that won't really help you get anywhere. Your problem is numbers. You can explain away your lower grades all you want -- but you have to make it to the interview in order to do that! There is no place on the AMCAS application to explain your below average grades. Your only shot at doing that is becoming competitive enough to make the initial cut and get some interviews where they can see your... lovely personality ;) Right now, your GPA probably will get screened out at many schools (unless you have a crazy high MCAT score).

So if you really want to go to medical school (which if you have so many doors open to you, as you said, I suggest you explore any other field that you can see yourself being happy in other than medicine because med school will not be "fun" by any stretch of the imagination, and you seem to put a high value on fun in your posts) I suggest you create a plan that focuses on bolstering the numbers side of your application by kicking butt on the MCAT and doing an SMP (a post-bacc wouldn't really help that much since you've taken the classes & it would be more expensive).

Good luck :luck:... and don't apply to NY schools ;) I kid I kid

you have the EC area of your application covered, so doing Teach for America or Peacecorps or anything like that won't really help you get anywhere. Your problem is numbers. You can explain away your lower grades all you want -- but you have to make it to the interview in order to do that! There is no place on the AMCAS application to explain your below average grades. Your only shot at doing that is becoming competitive enough to make the initial cut and get some interviews where they can see your... lovely personality ;) Right now, your GPA probably will get screened out at many schools (unless you have a crazy high MCAT score).

So if you really want to go to medical school (which if you have so many doors open to you, as you said, I suggest you explore any other field that you can see yourself being happy in other than medicine because med school will not be "fun" by any stretch of the imagination, and you seem to put a high value on fun in your posts) I suggest you create a plan that focuses on bolstering the numbers side of your application by kicking butt on the MCAT and doing an SMP (a post-bacc wouldn't really help that much since you've taken the classes & it would be more expensive).

Good luck :luck:... and don't apply to NY schools ;) I kid I kid

Why wouldn't I apply to NY schools, probably won't. I have definitely gotten the hint that I'm going to have to fool the computers about my GPA by doing an SMP and then yes, I'll unleash my bubbly personality onto interview councils ;) I can't wait, who knows, maybe I'll see you at Cornell haha. I haven't even taken the MCAT so it's hard to say either way where this all goes. I will definitely have to take a practice or something to give you guys a better idea.

You're the one that proposed a time machine. :D

I'm talking about the experience of a lifetime--i'm sorry that you don't feel the same way. Being in front of 100,000+ fans is exhilarating, winning is even better. I have some of the most awesome memories and experiences through cheerleading and I wouldn't give that up for an easier way into medical school.

I don't like the easy way, I didn't take it in high school and it got me to where I am today.

I am sorry to disappoint you but there is no easy way to medical school. The reason premeds study hard is because you need a good grasp of basic science to do well in medical school. From reading your post, it seems like you have a very diverse experience. Having three majors and a minor is hard and being involved in cheerleading on top of that, I can only imagine, is harder. If MD is what you are interested in, my advice would be to look into SMP programs.

I am sorry to disappoint you but there is no easy way to medical school. The reason premeds study hard is because you need a good grasp of basic science to do well in medical school. From reading your post, it seems like you have a very diverse experience. Having three majors and a minor is hard and being involved in cheerleading on top of that, I can only imagine, is harder. If MD is what you are interested in, my advice would be to look into SMP programs.

Thank you anime.

Last edited:
Cheerleader, what are you like in person?

Additionally, where do you want to go to med school? You say you have to know the school, but what exactly does that mean? Have you heard of Mt. Sinai? Mayo? Case Western? Baylor? All of these are great schools, but not the first ones that come to many peoples minds.

The reason I asked the first question is if you really do have the same offline personality that you appear to have here, you might have more problems than numbers in getting into medical school.

I personally have a huge ego too, but I make sure I do not let this get out when I am communicating with others, because, as you know from experience, people WILL NOT be receptive to you otherwise.

If choosing college as a stepping stone to get into med school is the easy way, the hard way must be impossible.

None of us opened this thread to read your babble.

Please post a picture of your "application"

Last edited:
None of us opened this thread to read your mindless babble.

Please post a picture of your "application"

This is random and totally unrelated to the way that this thread has been going, which you didn't follow up on before posting. I'm not applying now. And just because mindless and cheerleader go together in daily vernacular, it certainly is not the case with me, so just stop that now. Thanks!

Cheers!

:corny:

How did I miss this gem of a thread?

Cheerleader..or something said:
In economics we talk about risk aversion and how this affects one's utility. i would characterize myself as a risk-loving person--I get more satisfaction out of something whenever risk is involved.
You may have risked yourself right out of the game.

In all seriousness:
I didn't read through the whole thread but I'm going to actually try to give you some advice.
1. Take the MCAT. Somewhere in the babble I think you said you could have achieved a 3.6. If that's really true, the MCAT is your chance to prove it. If you get like a 35 you might consider applying next cycle.
2. If you get less than a 35 or so, consider a SMP. This time, actually do well. If you can pull that off and have a 30+ MCAT score you might be getting to an allo school. Probably not a top tier (have you done any research?), but you'll have a shot somewhere.
3. If you get less than that 35 and don't want to do the SMP route, consider applying to DO schools. A 30+ with your GPA might get you in there.

I never said that, nor do i think my comments exude that I'm-too-good attitude. I realized that my comments about inflated ego and top ten school were mis-interpreted. I was acknowledging this fact and I didn't want people to get the wrong idea. I'm not your typical student nor the typical cheerleader, nor the typical pre-med. I'm unique, and I hope everyone can stop putting me in different categories, because that's not what I'm about. If you can categorize a student leader, student athlete, student who takes extra classes all into one--then please let me know. If I did all these things and got all A's-- I'd be too good! Not everyone's perfect; I'm just looking for advice.

Sadly, though, getting the A is one of the most important aspects of an application. You have to demonstrate competence. Going to a top 10 and cheering others on while they do a sport really doesn't show anyone the type of physician you could be. You have the wrong attitude.

You took the "risks" and you didn't just do the "normal" chemistry major (? lol) and now you're in the position you're in because of all of it. I can't stand people who have the idea that because they did activities X,Y,Z, their GPAs suffered, but also have the idea that had they not done their activities, they would have been 3.9+ (or maybe in your head 4.0?) GPA applicants for sure. Your GPA and chances are what they are and if you're as smart as you think you are, go get a 40 on the MCAT and try your best for a big name school. Meanwhile, I'll be working tirelessly on my "normal" chemistry major.

Best of luck!

Last edited:
:corny:

How did I miss this gem of a thread?

You may have risked yourself right out of the game.

In all seriousness:
I didn't read through the whole thread but I'm going to actually try to give you some advice.
1. Take the MCAT. Somewhere in the babble I think you said you could have achieved a 3.6. If that's really true, the MCAT is your chance to prove it. If you get like a 35 you might consider applying next cycle.
2. If you get less than a 35 or so, consider a SMP. This time, actually do well. If you can pull that off and have a 30+ MCAT score you might be getting to an allo school. Probably not a top tier (have you done any research?), but you'll have a shot somewhere.
3. If you get less than that 35 and don't want to do the SMP route, consider applying to DO schools. A 30+ with your GPA might get you in there.

Thank you you pretty much summed up what I'll be doing!

Cheers!

Last edited:
Thank you you pretty much summed up what I'll be doing! I actually averaged about a 3.7 this past year, it was really the first two years of college that did me in when I thought I could take orgo1, mechanics, and thermodynamics all together with several other classes.

I can do well, I just choose to go beyond that. To me, this isn't about getting A's, it's about learning as much as I can and I want to. Like I said, I can get all A's and I know this because I have a normal courseload's worth at the end of the term, it's just the fact that I take significantly more than that that leads me to a lower gpa.

Cheers!

I'm a mathematics and biochemistry double major while doing several time-intensive activities and still manage a 4.0. It's a matter of priorities. Do you have absolutely no self-awareness? When you tell people you're 100% certain you would have a 4.0 if you were doing the work of a 'normal man,' people chuckle to themselves. You have some growing up to do. :laugh:

I'm a mathematics and biochemistry double major while doing several time-intensive activities and still manage a 4.0. It's a matter of priorities. Do you have absolutely no self-awareness? When you tell people you're 100% certain you would have a 4.0 if you were doing the work of a 'normal man,' people chuckle to themselves. You have some growing up to do. :laugh:

I keep on repeating myself. But, I know that I could have better grades because my final grades say so. If you have a "normal man's" amount of A's as your final grades, if you drop all the other ones, thats a 4.0. But I'd have to give up my other interests and I'm just not willing to do that.

We also go to different schools. I could guess from your mdapplicants.com profile you go to UF. Good job, but we don't go to the same school, so your comment doesnt mean much, if we switched places that would be the only way to tell! :)

Cheers

Why is anyone giving any attention to this troll who is probably just a 19 year old dude laughing his ass off in his dorm room. Nothing this person has said is true....

40 credit hours? Yeah right. And chemical engineering along with 2 other majors along with your illustrious "cheerleading" career....

You have had your fun, now log back into your other account and be done with it.

Not interested in the discussion here; But I must say this is a record breaking thread; probably the most active thread on WAMC in 2+ years. 135 in ~ 72 hrs!!
GL to CheerLeader, looks like you are enjoying this discussion a lot!!!

Why is anyone giving any attention to this troll who is probably just a 19 year old dude laughing his ass off in his dorm room. Nothing this person has said is true....

40 credit hours? Yeah right. And chemical engineering along with 2 other majors along with your illustrious "cheerleading" career....

You have had your fun, now log back into your other account and be done with it.

I just combined a whole bunch of things and made it into one person, go me. I just wanted to see how ridiculous ones EC's could be and how much of a difference that makes--very little from what's been said.

Again, I have what I need, the numbers game. I will leave you all just imagining if someone like this exists...

Cheers!:D

Last edited:
Not interested in the discussion here; But I must say this is a record breaking thread; probably the most active thread on WAMC in 2+ years. 135 in ~ 72 hrs!!
GL to CheerLeader, looks like you are enjoying this discussion a lot!!!

most of those are of my own posting. I'm more impressed with the views. I knew I had a catchy title--should've been a journalist, or who knows, maybe that's my fourth major ? ;)

i think its awesome you were a cheerleader! i was on my school's dance team (i was captain) and we went through the same thing...insane practices all week, performances at games/community service events numerous times a week, conditioning at the crack of dawn, ESPN nationals in disney world, sore muscles/bruises everywhere. I can honestly say it was one of the greatest experiences of my life and I would NOT give it up for anything! Being on the nationals floor = the scariest but best feeling ever! (my PS was actually centered around dance and how what i learned through it will make me a better doctor. many people have complimented me on it!)

cheerleading is SO athletic. it is SO hard. it takes so much commitment/dedication and involves not only leadership but teamwork as well. it frustrates me when people don't take it seriously slash dismiss dance/cheer as easy or not worth your time. my dance team was given similar workouts to the football team and sustained numerous injuries that were healed side by side with all of our school's top athletes.

I like to think the composure it takes to get on that nationals floor (and not run away in fear haha), and the commitment you need to make to the activity in order to succeed will definitely help prepare me for my medical training...in the classroom and in the field.

my GPA might be a little lower, but i wouldnt give up my dance team experience for ANYTHING (it seems you agree as well). good luck with your endeavors! rock on :)

CheerleadMD said:
I just combined a whole bunch of things and made it into one person, go me. I just wanted to see how ridiculous ones EC's could be and how much of a difference that makes--very little from what's been said.

As I said in your other thread: You can tell yourself that all you want, but I'd bet money that you recently concocted that story after everybody took a shot at you for being arrogant and self-entitled.

CheerleaderMD said:
Again, I have what I need, the numbers game. I will leave you all just imagining if someone like this exists...
EDIT: OK, that was sort of mean.

Last edited:
Why wouldn't I apply to NY schools, probably won't. I have definitely gotten the hint that I'm going to have to fool the computers about my GPA by doing an SMP and then yes, I'll unleash my bubbly personality onto interview councils ;) I can't wait, who knows, maybe I'll see you at Cornell haha. I haven't even taken the MCAT so it's hard to say either way where this all goes. I will definitely have to take a practice or something to give you guys a better idea.

^^^ That's why I don't want you to apply to NY schools :smuggrin:

i think its awesome you were a cheerleader! i was on my school's dance team (i was captain) and we went through the same thing...insane practices all week, performances at games/community service events numerous times a week, conditioning at the crack of dawn, ESPN nationals in disney world, sore muscles/bruises everywhere. I can honestly say it was one of the greatest experiences of my life and I would NOT give it up for anything! Being on the nationals floor = the scariest but best feeling ever! (my PS was actually centered around dance and how what i learned through it will make me a better doctor. many people have complimented me on it!)

cheerleading is SO athletic. it is SO hard. it takes so much commitment/dedication and involves not only leadership but teamwork as well. it frustrates me when people don't take it seriously slash dismiss dance/cheer as easy or not worth your time. my dance team was given similar workouts to the football team and sustained numerous injuries that were healed side by side with all of our school's top athletes.

I like to think the composure it takes to get on that nationals floor (and not run away in fear haha), and the commitment you need to make to the activity in order to succeed will definitely help prepare me for my medical training...in the classroom and in the field.

my GPA might be a little lower, but i wouldnt give up my dance team experience for ANYTHING (it seems you agree as well). good luck with your endeavors! rock on :)

Aren't the dance team girls just the chubby chicks that couldn't make the cheerleading team? The only contact I had with these chicks is when I would see them walking out of the frat houses on saturday mornings with their makeup smeared and their shirts on backwards.

i don't know how more people aren't picking up on this..... 40 credit hours a semester and one of those programs is chemical engineering? LOL, took me about 2 seconds to figure out this is a troll.

40 credit hours works out to roughly 13 classes (assuming 3 hours per class)

for a normal MFW and TuTh schedule this would work out to:
-8 MWF classes, 50 minutes each. So 8 straight hours of class without a break
-5 TuTh classes, 1 hour 15 min each. Over 6 hours of class without a break.
And this doesn't even factor in labs, where you get 1 credit hour but spend 3 hours a week in lab. I have at least 1 lab per semester, 2 most of the time. So for a 40 hour workload that works out to about 5 labs per week. So add another 10 hours spent in class each week.

10 hours a day MWF
8 hours a day TuTh

LOL...... right.........