Help me make a list for next cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1183706

Help me make a realistic list for next cycle. I have excellent stats but was told my extracurriculars aren’t unique so it’s making me question things, the list I had in mind included a lot of the T20s and maybe some merit scholarships.

State of residency and college: Public university in Florida. Would really REALLY like to gtfo of the south though.

GPA and major:
4.0 applied physiology and kinesiology.

MCAT: 523

Clinical experience:
  • 500 hours as a student intern in an orthopedic surgery practice. I was required to do an internship for my major and I chose that practice to get clinical experience in the field I’m interested in
  • 3500+ hours as a full time ophthalmic tech during my 2 gap years.
  • 50 hours shadowing. I didn’t do more because it was boring and I wasn’t learning anything
  • 200 hours ER scribe/tech. Networking here is what got me the ophthalmic tech job.
Volunteering:
  • 500 hours at local LGBT center
Research:
  • 2 posters. Topics in kinesiology, and public health. No publications
LORs:
2 professors volunteered to write letters, planning on asking 2 more. 1 orthopedic surgeon (from my internship), 1 retina surgeon, 1 optometrist.

Other:
Had a full ride in college
Graduated a year early
Was a freelance tutor for organic chemistry 1&2
After taking the MCAT I got a second job bartending, idk if I should mention that

Hobbies:
I like art. During my limited free time I’m working on a medical illustrations/horror portfolio it’s slightly creepy

I was told “your application is very good but there’s nothing unique about it to stand out to top schools”-premed advisor.
Thoughts? If that’s the case then what kind of schools should I be applying to?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have excellent stats but was told my extracurriculars aren’t unique
Please describe those activities and highlight your responsibilities with your hours.

50 hours shadowing. I didn’t do more because it was boring and I wasn’t learning anything
Why was it boring? You know you'll be doing this a lot as a medical student, right? How is this different from being an intern? You should not be touching patients in this role...

Members don't see this ad :)
I was told “your application is very good but there’s nothing unique about it to stand out to top schools”-premed advisor.
Before I decide to concur with my colleague, I want to ask, do you agree with your advisor that you have nothing that makes you stand out? Your advisor knows you better than we do... we don't have your application while your advisor has access to you and your potential application.

And why must it stand out to "the top schools"?

What is your mission fit? What schools are you looking for? It's more than plugging in your stats to get a list spit out from a computer like an online dating profile. Though we can do that... :)

I suggest these schools with your stats:
U Florida
USF Morsani
Miami
Washington University (in St. Louis-almost a guaranteed interview with your stats)
Northwestern
U Chicago
U Michigan
Mayo
Case Western
Cincinnati
UPenn
Johns Hopkins
Pittsburgh
Rochester
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
NYU
Columbia
Cornell
Dartmouth
Harvard
Boston University
Tufts
Brown
Yale
UCSF
USC Keck
Kaiser
U Virginia

Reactions: 1 user
Please describe those activities and highlight your responsibilities with your hours.

Why was it boring? You know you'll be doing this a lot as a medical student, right? How is this different from being an intern? You should not be touching patients in this role...
Oh I know that’s what med students and interns do I think it was just my experience at that center, the 2 doctors I shadowed just didn’t seem interested in teaching anything or answering questions, it was just like “oh we have the premed today lord help us” kind of vibe. I wasn’t the only one who had this experience with them though other people felt the same way. I still do a lot of shadowing when I have free time as a tech but it’s different I can at least ask questions it’s more interactive. At that point after shadowing I just decided to find something else and started the ER job

Oh I know that’s what med students and interns do I think it was just my experience at that center, the 2 doctors I shadowed just didn’t seem interested in teaching anything or answering questions, it was just like “oh we have the premed today lord help us” kind of vibe. I wasn’t the only one who had this experience with them though other people felt the same way. I still do a lot of shadowing when I have free time as a tech but it’s different I can at least ask questions it’s more interactive. At that point after shadowing I just decided to find something else and started the ER job
Welcome to professional life. Not everyone welcome you with open arms. You will encounter jerks with higher rank than you, and you just have to take it because there's no repercussions. You have to find the few that will guide you and mentor you. I would say keep trying. Keep focused on what the doctors do, but remember how they treat you so you won't turn into that jerk when others want to shadow you.

Reactions: 1 users
Before I decide to concur with my colleague, I want to ask, do you agree with your advisor that you have nothing that makes you stand out? Your advisor knows you better than we do... we don't have your application while your advisor has access to you and your potential application.

And why must it stand out to "the top schools"?

What is your mission fit? What schools are you looking for? It's more than plugging in your stats to get a list spit out from a computer like an online dating profile. Though we can do that... :)
I thought it was an excellent application, I worked really hard to build it. The main thing that was pointed out was No publications. She said a lot of premeds at my school that were accepted to top programs in the past had at least 1 publication, or more research because that’s what top schools look for. And volunteering limited to one organization “isn’t a good look like you were just checking it off the list” which is actually the opposite of what I intended, I thought focusing my volunteering on one organization I actually care about is better than collecting hours at random organizations

I thought it was an excellent application, I worked really hard to build it. The main thing that was pointed out was No publications. She said a lot of premeds at my school that were accepted to top programs in the past had at least 1 publication, or more research because that’s what top schools look for. And volunteering limited to one organization “isn’t a good look like you were just checking it off the list” which is actually the opposite of what I intended, I thought focusing my volunteering on one organization I actually care about is better than collecting hours at random organizations
Oh No Facepalm GIF by Aminé

First, are you gunning for a "top program"? I am sure you want to be accepted to a school that caters to your mission. You have two posters, and while I don't know what they are about, if they were presented at a good professional conference, that's all I can ask. Sure, you could do better, but you could also switch to a molecular biology major, which is what your advisor probably would expect.

I don't know about volunteering being limited to just one organization, but that's not box-checking (unless you just started do it at the start of the year). 500 hours is not box-checking.

I can see her worrying about being an Ophth Tech not looking good to adcoms, but you have other clinical experiences. I think that's what your advisor might be concerned about with just volunteering for one organization. But it's hard to know since you haven't told us what your 500 hours involved. Does your involvement give us any insight of what you intend to do as a physician?

The admissions process is going to frustrate you because how well you do is subject to the interpretation of total strangers. The challenge is getting them on the same wavelength as you, and herding cats is an appropriate analogy.

Oh No Facepalm GIF by Aminé

First, are you gunning for a "top program"? I am sure you want to be accepted to a school that caters to your mission. You have two posters, and while I don't know what they are about, if they were presented at a good professional conference, that's all I can ask. Sure, you could do better, but you could also switch to a molecular biology major, which is what your advisor probably would expect.

I don't know about volunteering being limited to just one organization, but that's not box-checking (unless you just started do it at the start of the year). 500 hours is not box-checking.

I can see her worrying about being an Ophth Tech not looking good to adcoms, but you have other clinical experiences. I think that's what your advisor might be concerned about with just volunteering for one organization. But it's hard to know since you haven't told us what your 500 hours involved. Does your involvement give us any insight of what you intend to do as a physician?

The admissions process is going to frustrate you because how well you do is subject to the interpretation of total strangers. The challenge is getting them on the same wavelength as you, and herding cats is an appropriate analogy.
Ok,

Yes I’m gunning for a top program, top 2 that would suit what I want in my future are UPenn and northwestern, leaning more towards northwestern

Both posters were presented in professional conferences and I received good feedback

I picked applied physiology and kinesiology because it was more focused on anatomy and physiology than other majors, but I still took upper level classes in biochem, microbiology, cell and molecular bio.

The 500 hours were spread throughout all 3 years in college. I still volunteer now when I have time but it’s not consistent because I have 2 jobs. My duties weren’t necessarily medical (maybe kind of) they were just normal community service duties. The main thing was delivering meals to disabled HIV/AIDS community members, and making posters for fundraisers and STD testing, along with some administrative duties.

I’m not sure what you mean by ophthalmic tech not looking good 👀 the top 2 specialities I’m interested in are orthopedic surgery and ophthalmology

I’m not sure what you mean by ophthalmic tech not looking good 👀 the top 2 specialities I’m interested in are orthopedic surgery and ophthalmology
It's a ton of hours you put in there compared to your ER scribing. Also, a lot can happen on the way to specializing, and that may include picking up research when you are a med student. Maybe that's what your advisor is picking up on ("if those are your preferred specialties, don't you need a taste of research because both of those specialties value med students with strong research records???"). Again, I think your posters are good evidence you understand how to do research for presentation.

Ok,

Yes I’m gunning for a top program, top 2 that would suit what I want in my future are UPenn and northwestern, leaning more towards northwestern

Both posters were presented in professional conferences and I received good feedback

I picked applied physiology and kinesiology because it was more focused on anatomy and physiology than other majors, but I still took upper level classes in biochem, microbiology, cell and molecular bio.

The 500 hours were spread throughout all 3 years in college. I still volunteer now when I have time but it’s not consistent because I have 2 jobs. My duties weren’t necessarily medical (maybe kind of) they were just normal community service duties. The main thing was delivering meals to disabled HIV/AIDS community members, and making posters for fundraisers and STD testing, along with some administrative duties.

Ophthalmic tech is a responsible position & requires knowledge & exam skills along with direct patient contact.
Most med school applicants don’t have normal publications.
Sorry your advisor is such a negative person!