MD Help making a school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Robot Arms

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Details will help.

Your application looks like a Lamborghini with a hamster-wheel engine. Tell me you have more clinical and nonclinical experience commensurate to a top stat applicant. (I'm binge-watching cooking competition shows again. Sorry.)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
With a MCAT 0f 528 and a GPA of 3.97 you should receive interviews but your clinical and non clinical volunteering hours are low and will limit your chances for interviews. Accumulate another 100+ hours of clinical volunteering and another 100+ hours of non clinical volunteering before you submit your application. I suggest these schools with your current ECs:
Washington University (in St. Louis)
Vanderbilt
Northwestern
USF Morsani
Miami
Duke
U Virginia
Jefferson
U Penn
Johns Hopkins
Pittsburgh
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
NYU
Rochester
Tufts
Yale
Cincinnati
Ohio State
U Michigan
Your state public schools

Members don't see this ad :)
PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE
Thank for the advice about the school list! I made a tentative school list with your recommendations added.
If possible I want advice filtering down my list now? Here is my updated information with more details:
GPA: 3.97
MCAT: 528
Residency: Non CA/TX/NY
Ethnicity: White
Undergrad: Large flagship of a different state
Clinical experience: 110 hours volunteering in pediatric hospital playroom (direct interaction with patients but not with providers), 100 hours as hospital wayfinder (greeting and giving directions to patients and visitors plus some wheelchair transport) (this may be nonclinical instead)
Research experience: 700 hours total in 2 labs. One is basic science, the other is related to a clinical study but I don't interact with patients. 1 poster presentation
Shadowing experience: 70 hours including cardiology, pathology, family physician. Family is the most hours.
Non-clinical volunteering: 50 hours total at food banks + 104 hours total in a multi-purpose volunteer organization that includes assisting COVID vaccine drives, performing CPR training, street cleaning
Other activities: Leadership role in 2 premed clubs, mainly organizing social events and group volunteering events
Anything else not listed:
* My planned personal statement is mostly about research and hospital volunteering
* I included a lot of schools in PA because I have a connection to the state, but not a PA resident

Schools I am considering, want to trim down the list:
Albert Einstein
Columbia
Case Western
Drexel
Duke
Emory
Dartmouth
Hackensack
Harvard
Mount Sinai
Johns Hopkins
Kaiser
USC Keck
Loyola
Mayo Clinic
MCW
NYMC
Northwestern
NYU
Boston University
Penn State
UPenn
Saint Louis
Jefferson
Stanford
Brown
Temple
Tufts
Tulane
UCLA
UCSF
UChicago
Miami
Michigan
Pittsburgh
Rochester
Virginia
Vanderbilt
Wake Forest
WashU
Weill Cornell
Yale
USF Morsani
Hofstra
Cincinnati
Ohio State

Last edited:
Presuming you will apply in-state.

What other campus organizations are you active? I mostly see your premed clubs and possibly clubs involved with various community service projects.

I seek reasons to interview you beyond the metrics. What are my expectations?

Last edited:
Loyola, St. Louis and Tulane are looking for applicants with far more clinical and non clinical hours than you have. Schools such as Drexel, Penn State, Temple, Wake Forest and MCW will probably "yield protect" with your stats.

Reactions: 1 user