Cheerleading Captain wants to make med school's cut--but how?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Here's a message from your friendly neighborhood moderation staff: "Let's keep the posts civil please. There are a lot of insults being thrown around in this thread. Cut it out."

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You're the one that proposed a time machine. :D

I'm talking about the experience of a lifetime--i'm sorry that you don't feel the same way. Being in front of 100,000+ fans is exhilarating, winning is even better. I have some of the most awesome memories and experiences through cheerleading and I wouldn't give that up for an easier way into medical school.

I don't like the easy way, I didn't take it in high school and it got me to where I am today.

I want to have both actually, and you don't have to pick one or the other. I'm sorry that you don't find that exciting, but I find that exciting and it adds tons to my college experience.

I am serious about this and i don't understand why everyone is so sensitive to arrogance,when it's so blatant everywhere on this board--except it's hidden under the guise of 'oh no i'm so stupid i have a 3.9 help me!'

I don't understand why wanting the best and wanting to only go Allo- is the worst thing in the world and merit such criticism. I've read through the osteo- stuff and it's just not what I've envisioned in terms of medicine. I'm sorry if I come off really obnoxious, but I've been through tons of interview preps for different things and they tell me to brag about myself because if I don't, stuff will get overlooked. Sure, I need to cool it, but everyone's missing the point of why I posted and i wish everyone would read everything that I've posted before adding your own.

I know I'm not getting into med school this year I know this. I was just asking what sort of alternatives would be good for me. I'm thinking I could continue research and take night classes and or volunteer or Teach for America like I said a long time ago. My science gpa sucks, and I know this, so I'm just looking for a way out of this.

Thanks so much for the posts, I have tough skin, keep it coming

Here's the thing- you DO have to choose between having the most fun and getting the best grades. You chose to have fun, and while that's a totally respectable decision (I definitely wish I'd done some more fun things in college), that decision has consequences--namely, that your low GPA is going to make it prohibitively difficult to get into the kind of med school you want. And by prohibitively difficult, I mean probably impossible.

You absolutely need to forget about going to med school in "places you've heard of." A 3.0 is around absolutely LOWEST GPA that most allo med schools will even look at; regardless of whatever the rest of your story, no matter how incredible you think it is, this process still boils down primarily to a numbers game. It's not everything--sub-par GPAs like 3.4-3.5 still have a shot at the top schools if they REALLY have something compelling in their application, but 3.0 is just too low. If you get a 35+ on the MCAT, you may have a shot at the lower tier private schools and maybe your state schools, and you'll have a shot at DO with an MCAT lower than that. But I think that without several years of repairing that GPA up to a 3.5, you have no chance of ever getting into a "name" allopathic medical school.

I'm not attacking you personally, because as you said, you're very naive. But this is the reality: those people who had less fun in college, played the GPA game and worked their butts off to get that 3.8 GPA are going to be the ones who get into the top medical schools, while the people who didn't take care of their GPA for whatever reason are going to be the ones hoping to get into a lower-tier or DO school. That's how this process works, and I'm sorry if you don't think that's fair. You really can't have everything in the real world.

1.) Improve your sGPA a lot. How long this will take will depend on how many science credits you have. A strong upward trend can partially mitigate a GPA that is low when averaged over 4 years, but I think you'd want to shoot for at least a 3.4 to be reasonably confident of an allo acceptance. If you still want top tier, your sGPA will need to be even higher. This may take more than 1 or 2 years.
2.) Rock the MCAT. Again, if you're set on a very prestigious school, you will want a 35+ with your GPA.
3.) All we really know about your ECs is that you're a serious cheerleader. Make sure you have stellar volunteer and clinical experiences, and that they're sustained over a significant period of time.
4.) Not trying to be a pill, but try to tone down the sense of entitlement when you write your PS and secondaries. It doesn't matter how you come across on SDN, but a couple of people have commented on your ego, and if even a whiff of this comes across in your essays I'd say you're pretty much done for.
5.) Have a plan B. Lots of people who apply to medical school WITHOUT your requirements (allopathic, "good" reputation, etc.) don't get in anywhere, and many of them have better stats than you. If you're totally committed to only applying to a certain type of medical school, be prepared for bad news. I'm not saying this to be mean, it's just a scenario that you could potentially be facing.

She's clearly already exhausted this option several times...

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's the thing- you DO have to choose between having the most fun and getting the best grades. You chose to have fun, and while that's a totally respectable decision (I definitely wish I'd done some more fun things in college), that decision has consequences--namely, that your low GPA is going to make it prohibitively difficult to get into the kind of med school you want. And by prohibitively difficult, I mean probably impossible.

You absolutely need to forget about going to med school in "places you've heard of." A 3.0 is around absolutely LOWEST GPA that most allo med schools will even look at; regardless of whatever the rest of your story, no matter how incredible you think it is, this process still boils down primarily to a numbers game. It's not everything--sub-par GPAs like 3.4-3.5 still have a shot at the top schools if they REALLY have something compelling in their application, but 3.0 is just too low. If you get a 35+ on the MCAT, you may have a shot at the lower tier private schools and maybe your state schools, and you'll have a shot at DO with an MCAT lower than that. But I think that without several years of repairing that GPA up to a 3.5, you have no chance of ever getting into a "name" allopathic medical school.

I'm not attacking you personally, because as you said, you're very naive. But this is the reality: those people who had less fun in college, played the GPA game and worked their butts off to get that 3.8 GPA are going to be the ones who get into the top medical schools, while the people who didn't take care of their GPA for whatever reason are going to be the ones hoping to get into a lower-tier or DO school. That's how this process works, and I'm sorry if you don't think that's fair. You really can't have everything in the real world.

Also, I've never used plan B, nor do I plan too. that's irrelevant and I think you're just using the fact that I'm a cheerleader to bash me on this site. How many cheerleders want to be doctors? Not many...don't hate me cause I'm different.

Last edited:
Again, I'd like to re-emphasize the high improbability of getting accepted into a med school this year, I know this, I know that a 3.0 is ridiculously low and a 3.4 is low too. That's why i'm looking for an alternative route to getting there. I will have to repair my GPA, I certainly know this. I have chosen to have fun, but it's not like it's just fun. I took 40 hours of class last term--that's just class and I still maintained my other activities. I could have been your stellar applicant with a 3.9 and everything,but I chose not to. I have the drive and the discipline to succeed in whatever I choose to do, I just am asking what you guys think the best route is.

Also, I've never used plan B, nor do I plan too. that's irrelevant and I think you're just using the fact that I'm a cheerleader to bash me on this site. How many cheerleders want to be doctors? Not many...don't hate me cause I'm different.

In my opinion, I just thought that living in the library and going through the motions of getting into medical school was boring. I followed my interests on the field, in the classroom, and in my community--I think this would count for something.

Then do an informal post-bacc, take more undergrad hours with a 4.0 until you get your cGPA up to a 3.5. That's really all there is to be done at this point.

And I'm sorry if you think that doing what it takes for 99% of applicants to get into a top school is boring. However, wishing reality were different does not make it so.

Hey, if you are going to apply to medical school and have succeeded in doing everything you say you've done-by all means go for the top schools. At least the first time, shoot for the stars. If that doesn't work out, know that you tried, gave it your 100%, lived life (in and out of college), and THEN go to a lower-tier/DO school. Until then, dream BIG (and I say that sincerely). Everyone has comments as to what you can do/not do to get into school, but IMHO, anyone who wants to be a doctor is already thinking/dreaming huge, and you have every right to join them and want to go to the Harvard's and Yale's of the med school world. Just know that the choices you've made, which I wouldn't regret if I was you, may keep you from going to those big name schools that everyone would love to get into. Good luck.

Then do an informal post-bacc, take more undergrad hours with a 4.0 until you get your cGPA up to a 3.5. That's really all there is to be done at this point.

And I'm sorry if you think that doing what it takes for 99% of applicants to get into a top school is boring. However, wishing reality were different does not make it so.

That's what it's looking like I guess, if I don't pursue some international study/work instead. My cGPA will hopefully be a 3.5 after my senior year, it's my sGPA that i'm obviously concerned about.

Last edited:
Life is nothing like the movie Legally Blond.

Adcoms really want to see gpa and MCAT. The rest is icing on the cake (and we like the icing thick and done just so but with some originally and your own flourish) but the main thing is the cake. You've got some impressive icing but the cake needs work.

You need to take the MCAT. That will give you an idea of what your options are.

In all likelihood, given the # of credits you've already taken, you'll never take enough additional undergrad classes at this point to repair your undergrad gpa. This points towards the need to do a Special Masters Program that proves you've got the academic horsepower to do well in medical school classes. I don't know much about them but there is some good information on this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=591705&highlight=special+masters+program

You have enjoyed college life and done things "your way". You will find that medical schools are far more comfortable with those who, for the most part, take the conventional route. You have now set yourself up for an uphill climb to get on the path to medical school. Good luck with your journey.

That's what it's looking like I guess, if I don't pursue some international study/work instead. My cGPA will hopefully be a 3.5 after my senior year, it's my sGPA that i'm obviously concerned about.

It's just a matter of what college means to you, like I said, it's not my stepping stone to med school, for many it is (i'd argue not 99%, but okay). I've had a ton of well rounded experience, i think it's a lot more than most of those 99% can say and I'm fine if it's cost me tenths of my gpa--I can get that back, you can't get 4 years of your life back though.

It's not like those who did things the "traditional way" thought hanging out in the library every week thought it was the most fun they'd ever had and, "oh boy, THIS is what college is all about." You bet they'd have liked to have went and indulged in all of their interests, or to take 40 credit hours in classes that just happen to be mildly interesting, or do a million other things--but dammit, they knew what they wanted, more than having fun in college, more than taking 40 hours of interesting classes, was to be a doctor, and while the name of the medical school isn't THAT important, it'd sure be nice to go to the best one that they can get themselves into. So they made sacrifices, and yeah, they'll never get those four years of our lives back. You made sacrifices too, and I suspect you will eventually find that in order to live college your way you have wound up sacrificing your shot at getting into a top med school.

I think your quickest route to medical school is to make a 4.0 in your senior year to get your GPA up to, what, a 3.2 maybe? Then take the MCAT and get a 35+ and try your best to get into a lower tier school, or a DO school. Alternatively, you could do the SMP that LizzyM suggests--it's high risk, but high reward. If you MUST go to a name school, then get a 40 on the MCAT and be prepared to take another few years to bring that GPA up even further.

I want to have both actually, and you don't have to pick one or the other. I'm sorry that you don't find that exciting, but I find that exciting and it adds tons to my college experience.

I am serious about this and i don't understand why everyone is so sensitive to arrogance,when it's so blatant everywhere on this board--except it's hidden under the guise of 'oh no i'm so stupid i have a 3.9 help me!'

I don't understand why wanting the best and wanting to only go Allo- is the worst thing in the world and merit such criticism. I've read through the osteo- stuff and it's just not what I've envisioned in terms of medicine. I'm sorry if I come off really obnoxious, but I've been through tons of interview preps for different things and they tell me to brag about myself because if I don't, stuff will get overlooked. Sure, I need to cool it, but everyone's missing the point of why I posted and i wish everyone would read everything that I've posted before adding your own.

I know I'm not getting into med school this year I know this. I was just asking what sort of alternatives would be good for me. I'm thinking I could continue research and take night classes and or volunteer or Teach for America like I said a long time ago. My science gpa sucks, and I know this, so I'm just looking for a way out of this.

Thanks so much for the posts, I have tough skin, keep it coming

I respect you. Don't take their BS. Arrogance is indeed very common on this forum, about their high grade and all.

Being a person who spent the first two years of life holed up studying and last two years doing various activities and enjoying college in a social fraternity, I know how much they missed.

It's not like those who did things the "traditional way" thought hanging out in the library every week thought it was the most fun they'd ever had and, "oh boy, THIS is what college is all about." You bet they'd have liked to have went and indulged in all of their interests, or to take 40 credit hours in classes that just happen to be mildly interesting, or do a million other things--but dammit, they knew what they wanted, more than having fun in college, more than taking 40 hours of interesting classes, was to be a doctor, and while the name of the medical school isn't THAT important, it'd sure be nice to go to the best one that they can get themselves into. So they made sacrifices, and yeah, they'll never get those four years of our lives back. You made sacrifices too, and I suspect you will eventually find that in order to live college your way you have wound up sacrificing your shot at getting into a top med school.

I think your quickest route to medical school is to make a 4.0 in your senior year to get your GPA up to, what, a 3.2 maybe? Then take the MCAT and get a 35+ and try your best to get into a lower tier school, or a DO school. Alternatively, you could do the SMP that LizzyM suggests--it's high risk, but high reward. If you MUST go to a name school, then get a 40 on the MCAT and be prepared to take another few years to bring that GPA up even further.

My sGPA could be a 3.5 with a 4.0 in all the pre-med classes over again, my overall would be a 3.6. Last time I checked that's not bad for med school.

SMP does sound enticing, I don't want to re-take classes and like the idea of doing a research thesis type thing.

I respect those who went the traditional way, but I'm just saying there's more to life than that.

My sGPA could be a 3.5 with a 4.0 in all the pre-med classes over again, my overall would be a 3.6. Last time I checked that's not bad for med school.

SMP does sound enticing, I don't want to re-take classes and like the idea of doing a research thesis type thing.

I respect those who went the traditional way, but I'm just saying there's more to life than that.

I feel like there is a way to indulge your interests, take things that are interesting to you, have a social life, and be interesting while still having a good GPA. Don't make assumptions that people that did well are boring just because you perceive yourself to be more interesting. Sure, they're not taking 40 credits, but that does not mean they don't have wide, varied interests. There is a middle ground, you know.

As far as your plight, an SMP is the way to go, unless you don't have many science credits or you're willing to spend years doing post-bacc. How many science credits do you have? Also, 3.6 is respectable, but it's not necessarily a guarantee into the top tier unless you have a killer MCAT, and even then...

But I wish you the best of luck in your application! Just try not to assume every other pre-med but you is boring.

OP,

As previously mentioned, your GPA is on the low end of the spectrum. Use this last year to raise it in any way possible. It sounds like you have had some very memorable lifetime experiences, but now is the time to concentrate on the next step. Focus on your grades. This may go against your educational philosophy, but it should be quality rather than quantity this year. Take a load that you know you can excel in, nothing extraneous.

Being a good test taker will help you with raising your GPA, but it's an entirely different game with the MCAT. Skills help, but preparation helps more. Start studying early, get the help you need, and treat this test like your medical career depends on it... because, frankly, it will.

Judging from your responses, you still have some ambivalence about being a doctor rather than doing something else. Medicine is a huge financial, emotional, and temporal commitment. You should consider it more deeply. You don't want to be in the middle of medical school, thousands in debt, and regretting that you didn't pursue your ambitions with something else. Being a pharmacy rep., a teacher, or a doctor are three very different careers.

It's good that you have goals regarding your medical education, but they need to be infused with a large dose of reality. Even if you get a 4.0 this next year, your GPA won't be competitive at the kinds of schools you've set your sights on. A strong MCAT will help, but it is not a guarantee. Unless you want to do a post-graduation program to raise that GPA, you won't get much, if anything, from top-tier schools. I suggest you set your sights a little lower.

Members don't see this ad :)

Everyone has their own perspective on what is valuable in life and how they should experience it. You are entitled to your views, but it is not your place to establish a hierarchy on which life routes are superior to others.

OP,

As previously mentioned, your GPA is on the low end of the spectrum. Use this last year to raise it in any way possible. It sounds like you have had some very memorable lifetime experiences, but now is the time to concentrate on the next step. Focus on your grades. This may go against your educational philosophy, but it should be quality rather than quantity this year. Take a load that you know you can excel in, nothing extraneous.

Being a good test taker will help you with raising your GPA, but it's an entirely different game with the MCAT. Skills help, but preparation helps more. Start studying early, get the help you need, and treat this test like your medical career depends on it... because, frankly, it will.

Judging from your responses, you still have some ambivalence about being a doctor rather than doing something else. Medicine is a huge financial, emotional, and temporal commitment. You should consider it more deeply. You don't want to be in the middle of medical school, thousands in debt, and regretting that you didn't pursue your ambitions with something else. Being a pharmacy rep., a teacher, or a doctor are three very different careers.

It's good that you have goals regarding your medical education, but they need to be infused with a large dose of reality. Even if you get a 4.0 this next year, your GPA won't be competitive at the kinds of schools you've set your sights on. A strong MCAT will help, but it is not a guarantee. Unless you want to do a post-graduation program to raise that GPA, you won't get much, if anything, from top-tier schools. I suggest you set your sights a little lower.

Thanks for all the replies and keep them coming ;)

Last edited:
Everyone has their own perspective on what is valuable in life and how they should experience it. You are entitled to your views, but it is not your place to establish a hierarchy on which life routes are superior to others.

I was also pointing out that one is reversible and the other is a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply, I know that I might sound a bit unconvincing about medical school and that's true, it's because it's among many things that I can see myself doing in the future. With my educational background I think I could do anything. Medicine seems to be the most rewarding career choice and it's certainly going to be a challenge.

I haven't even done any name dropping yet, so I don't understand where everyone is getting this feeling that i want to go to harvard or yale--that is certainly not the case! I just want to go somewhere that I've heard of, that's all. Private school/state school--whereever. As I go through the list of the top schools, top 30-50 sounds awesome to me. I think people aren't getting the right impression.

I guess another question i have is about my science credits, a lot of them come from the chemical engineering classes that I've taken,but I've heard engineering classes don't count. so I guess technically I don't have that many science credits at all and could make a lot of changes with that with some more school. I'm willing to spend the time, I just want to do it in the most efficient way possible.

An SMP does sound attractive, but I don't want to take the MCAT since I won't have any preparation. Thus far, I've signed up for mcatquestionaday.com and those haven't been bad at all, so I'm really sure where I'll be in terms of my score. When I take it, i want to take it once and want to be as ready as possible, but these SMP programs want you to take it before. Are there any that don't need the MCAT?

And yes, I know that there are people who manage to have most everything, but I'm speaking from my perspective at my college where the pre-meds who are everything anyone could have ever wanted don't do anything but study and talk to each other about how they have all A's, they have no friends beyond this small group of similarly minded people. Like I've been saying, I totally could've been right there with them, but I chose to have this and I'm not sorry at all for making that choice.

Thanks for all the replies and keep them coming ;)

Have you taken all the pre reqs?

Are you sure that your BCPM is as low as you reported here?

Drop the smug and some of us could possibly give you some advice on post baccs, SMPs, etc...there are some very knowledgeable and helpful people here on SDN, but nobody likes dealing with a tool, and your posts have been kind of toolish...

Have you taken all the pre reqs?

Are you sure that your BCPM is as low as you reported here?

Drop the smug and some of us could possibly give you some advice on post baccs, SMPs, etc...there are some very knowledgeable and helpful people here on SDN, but nobody likes dealing with a tool, and your posts have been kind of toolish...

Taken them all, it's a solid 3.0. I am not trying to be a tool, I'm just trying to defend myself under all of this unrelated criticism since I'm a cheerleader.

I would love more insight on an SMP/post-bac. Thanks in advance!

Taken them all, it's a solid 3.0. I am not trying to be a tool, I'm just trying to defend myself under all of this unrelated criticism since I'm a cheerleader.

You, then, almost certainly need to go the SMP route. It is a high risk proposition - do poorly, and med school is pretty much out of the question. But right now, it is pretty much out of the question for you anyway because of that BCPM, and it would be very difficult to sufficiently repair it with additional UG classes.

To do any SMP, you will need an MCAT score...it should be 30+.

You really have nothing until you make the commitment and prep for the MCAT, and then take it for a real score.

I recommend Kaplan online, supplemented with the EK book series. Dedicate 3 to 4 months of intense content review, use a system like Kaplan, and focus on the AAMC practice exams.

Start digging into the MCAT forum for tips. There really is nothing else to be gained from this thread you started here...

Aim for the MCAT next January. If you can score in the mid 30s, you should submit the AMCAS to see if you can get in anywhere - in other words, go through at least one cycle before doing an SMP.

Good luck.

As I said before, you should seriously look into D.O. schools.

Your low GPA will cause you to be automatically filtered out by a school's application computer system.

I think M.D. for you is a very long-shot unless you go to the Caribbean.

Don't be so quick to criticize others Cheerleader.

You may have done things differently, triple majored, been a star athlete, but that still doesn't say much, considering your GPA, which appears as though you might not have been able to handle that much on your plate.

People should enjoy college life, but if their goal of going to medical school is great enough, it is not at all unacceptable that they do all they can in order to get what they want.

I wasn't creating a hierarchy of any kind per se, I was just merely saying that I wanted to experience college life and all that it could offer me, and I have. I can confidently say that I've had more of a college experience than your typical pre-med at my school .... I was also pointing out that one is reversible and the other is a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

Ah, but your views on what dictates a college experience or a once-in-a-lifetime experience are not universal. Some could argue they had a more fulfilling college experience than you by their own standards. My point is that what is "more" and "less" of an experience to some could be quite the opposite for others. How about just being content with your own experiences instead of comparing them to others?

If you can improve your GPA this year, you have a shot at the school rankings you've mentioned (assuming a good MCAT score). However, look past the name and rank when you're applying to schools. Do your homework, and you may find that a lesser known school better suits you better than a well known school. After all, what's in a name?

Two more pieces of advice to get into HMS

1) Take the MCAT. Do well. Devote as much time as you can to this. You should make this a priority, as it is going to be EXTREMELY difficult to get your GPA up to the average stats of the top schools where your heart lies. I would say you need a 37+ on the MCAT. A 35 is possible with lots of effort, but I think it is arguable that anything after that, it is mostly luck, unless you are just a genius.

2) We know you are better than the adcoms who probably took a more "traditional" approach, but try not to make them feel inferior to you in your application essays. I hear these days, arrogance is not a positive trait.

Athletics can be a plus. Some adcom members really value the applicants involved with varsity sports, others are less impressed.

However, there is no substitute for good grades. I've seen varsity athletes who destroyed any chance at graduate school (never mind medical school) because of a miserable academic record.

Two more pieces of advice to get into HMS

1) Take the MCAT. Do well. Devote as much time as you can to this. You should make this a priority, as it is going to be EXTREMELY difficult to get your GPA up to the average stats of the top schools where your heart lies. I would say you need a 37+ on the MCAT. A 35 is possible with lots of effort, but I think it is arguable that anything after that, it is mostly luck, unless you are just a genius.

2) We know you are better than the adcoms who probably took a more "traditional" approach, but try not to make them feel inferior to you in your application essays. I hear these days, arrogance is not a positive trait.
Thanks

Last edited:
um, this may come as a shock to you, but no one except you cares that you're a cheerleader. We care that you have an awful attitude and seem to think you are better than every other premed student. Get over yourself and your so-called "nontraditional route."

um, this may come as a shock to you, but no one except you cares that you're a cheerleader. We care that you have an awful attitude and seem to think you are better than every other premed student. Get over yourself and your so-called "nontraditional route."

I think it's something that definitely distinguishes me as an applicant and people do care, maybe not you, but they do.

Last edited:

I agree with this statement and just so you know CheerleaderMD, I am a student-member of the admissions committee at my M.D. school.

I don't care that you can do flips and cartwheels. What I care about, is would I want this person taking care of me if I got sick and needed medical care.

You're missing the point. No one here is criticizing you because you are a cheerleader; you're getting these comments because of your superiority complex. It has nothing to do with cheerleading. In fact, if anyone is reinforcing a negative stereotype of cheerleaders, it's you because you keep bringing it up. It is entirely irrelevant.

There's a reason why I'm a one of top undergrad schools in the country.

And there is a reason why you aren't getting any good advice.

Deflate your inflated ego. I am just a premed, but even I know that your current personality will not do you much good in the future.

And there is a reason why you aren't getting any good advice.

Deflate your inflated ego. I am just a premed, but even I know that your current personality will not do you much good in the future.

I'm just saying it seems like people put me in the stereotypes of high school and i'm trying to show you all that that's not what I'm about. I'm a multi-faceted person.

Last edited:
In all seriousness really consider if you want to be in the medical field. Shadow doctors and get to know their daily routine and ask yourself if you could handle it. On a side not it doesn't matter where you go to school undergrad, "top 10" or "bottom ten" as long as you have a strong GPA and strong MCAT, and if your school has a good rep for low GPA's/high MCAT then score high on the MCAT to justify the low GPA........don't be doctor because it looks good to society be a doctor because you want to be apart of helping someone live. Not trying to put you down but medicine is a competitive field and it's hard to succeed unless your dedicated, I'm sure people can back me up on this.

Here's a better idea
Graduate Spring 2010
Prepare for the MCAT Summer 2010 (no other distractions)
Take MCAT, August 2010
Teach, substitute teach, work in a lab or coach, Academic year 2010/2011 (and perhaps through Spring 2013)
late Fall 2010, decide whether to apply for a SMP (2011/12 academic year)

if, based on MCAT and final gpa, a SMP doesn't seem necessary begin application process May-June 2011 to start classes in Summer Fall 2012.

If you do the SMP, you will begin the application process in May-June 2012 to begin med school in Summer/Fall 2013.

The MCAT is the first hurdle. Keep in mind that more than half of the people who take the MCAT do not get into an allopathic medical school. (In fact, more than half the people who apply in a given year do not get in, and there are far more who take the MCAT and then choose not to apply to medical school.) Prepare, take the test, and then figure from there what your next step needs to be.

I respect you. Don't take their BS. Arrogance is indeed very common on this forum, about their high grade and all.

Being a person who spent the first two years of life holed up studying and last two years doing various activities and enjoying college in a social fraternity, I know how much they missed.

Your GPA is also .75 points higher than the OP's. Kudos to you for managing to juggle your social life and your studies; I did something very similar, where I studdied my butt off for the first couple of years and then let loose and had more fun towards the end. What's getting us annoyed is that the OP is trying to play off being in a lot of activities, taking a lot of classes, and going to a hard school as an excuse for why they have a 3.0. Plenty of people have managed to get a high GPA while finding the right balance between social life and academic dedication, so all of these excuses are tiresome.

Re-taking the classes will not negate your old grades; AMCAS will average your old grade along with your new grade. So it's not that simple.

I think it's something that definitely distinguishes me as an applicant and people do care, maybe not you, but they do.

Yes, having distinguishing experiences is nice; I think my taekwondo experiences definitely gave me something interesting to talk about in my interviews. However, like LizzyM said, that's icing.

What you have to understand is that when you're competing against thousands of other applicants (especially at the top 30-50) is that you have to be able to go to the adcom and tell them why they should accept you over all of the other thousands of qualified applicants. There are hundreds of applicants to each of those schools with a 3.7, 30+ MCAT, and your same laundry list of clinical and research experiences who are rejected each year; you may have those same clinical and research experiences as them, but why would they accept YOU over those other applicants that they reject, even if you could get your GPA up to a 3.3 or 3.4? Unless you really think your cheerleading experiences, top school pedigree, or triple major gives you a "Plus .3-.4 to your GPA," I don't understand why you're stubbornly holding out only for a top 50 school.

This is just so frustrating in every way. I think it would've gone in a much more positive light if the whole top school thing wasn't repeatedly brought up and hammered into our skulls. Guess what, a lot of us were in top programs in our field and didn't come out sounding like that. I have people in my class from ivy leagues and people from schools you probably don't know exist. They are all in the exact same place and nearly everyone is struggling with the material equal whether they are at my school or one that is in the top 10 us news rankings. Those rankings are idiotic. They don't say anything about the quality of the teachers, happiness of the students, the style of curriculum or nearly anything that is of value when deciding on a school. Don't be so fast to judge those "Backwoods" schools either. One day, if you get in despite your attitude, there WILL be someone (probably several people) from those schools that will kick your arse all over the wards. Its not a maybe statement. They WILL.

All that being said, you can get into an allopathic. I got into an allopathic with a 3.3 cum and 3.0 science and not a super high MCAT either (non-URM). I'm an outlier. I won't get into ECs or anything but there were more than the average. I also didn't go around talking about the inferiority of schools. You can't honestly say you have an ego and then say you're normally humble. Those kind of clash.

Your GPA is also .75 points higher than the OP's. Kudos to you for managing to juggle your social life and your studies; I did something very similar, where I studdied my butt off for the first couple of years and then let loose and had more fun towards the end. What's getting us annoyed is that the OP is trying to play off being in a lot of activities, taking a lot of classes, and going to a hard school as an excuse for why they have a 3.0. Plenty of people have managed to get a high GPA while finding the right balance between social life and academic dedication, so all of these excuses are tiresome.

Re-taking the classes will not negate your old grades; AMCAS will average your old grade along with your new grade. So it's not that simple.

Yes, having distinguishing experiences is nice; I think my taekwondo experiences definitely gave me something interesting to talk about in my interviews. However, like LizzyM said, that's icing.

What you have to understand is that when you're competing against thousands of other applicants (especially at the top 30-50) is that you have to be able to go to the adcom and tell them why they should accept you over all of the other thousands of qualified applicants. There are hundreds of applicants to each of those schools with a 3.7, 30+ MCAT, and your same laundry list of clinical and research experiences who are rejected each year; you may have those same clinical and research experiences as them, but why would they accept YOU over those other applicants that they reject, even if you could get your GPA up to a 3.3 or 3.4? Unless you really think your cheerleading experiences, top school pedigree, or triple major gives you a "Plus .3-.4 to your GPA," I don't understand why you're stubbornly holding out only for a top 50 school.
sorry I wish there was an edit button for everything because I would delete that from every post as it's such a point of contention.

Last edited:
From readying your posts OP, it clear that you want to finish up cheerleading before looking into medical school. So i suggest that you do that, enjoy your senior year, while taking a few science classes and graduate with all your degrees.

THEN GO back and work on a Post-Bac in Biology or another field of science to improve your sGPA (from my personal experience it may take a lot of classes to raise the sGPA just a few .1s but its not a bad way to go) Study for the MCAT and shadow, volunteer all the while doing the Post Bac. In 2 years you will have all you need to apply to medical school.

That is what I did and I will be going to medschool so i hope it help u too.

I think you need to realized that getting into medical school and being a doctor require a lot of personal sacrifices and I am happy that I sacrificed a few things to accomplish my goal. And you need to be prepare to make some yourself too if you want this

Last edited:
actually, now i feel like we're ganging up on you. Ok, you get the point. And for future reference, you know what is considered offensive.

Last edited:
You clearly think we're all incredibly dull bookish people. I'm willing to bet that we all have our own equivalent of cheerleading, something that we are passionate about that may or may not have to do with medicine. Honey, you're unique just like the rest of us, so get off your high horse. Don't be so sure that you're a step ahead of us when it comes to extracurriculars.

And stop referring to your school as a "good school", as if everyone else is unfortunate enough to be stuck at a bad college. For the record, I go to a high-ranked school as well, so don't accuse me of saying this out of jealousy or whatever.
thanks

Last edited:
From readying your posts OP, it clear that you want to finish up cheerleading before looking into medical school. So i suggest that you do that, enjoy your senior year, while taking a few science classes and graduate with all your degrees.

THEN GO back and work on a Post-Bac in Biology or another field of science to improve your sGPA (from my personal experience it may take a lot of classes to raise the sGPA just a few .1s but its not a bad way to go) Study for the MCAT and shadow, volunteer all the while doing the Post Bac. In 2 years you will have all you need to apply to medical school.

That is what I did and I will be going to medschool so i hope it help u too.

I think you need to realized that getting into medical school and being a doctor require a lot of personal sacrifices and I am happy that I sacrificed a few things to accomplish my goal. And you need to be prepare to make some yourself too if you want this

Thank you i really appreciate it, and congratulations--all your hard work paid off. I aspire to do the same some day.

And @daisy, yes I think lots of people are using this as an opportunity to bash, thank you for agreeing. Everyone has their own knack, I totally understand.

this is my first post everyone so i'm sorry for crashing the party.

Last edited:
also, GoSpursGo, your name kinda sounds like a cheer I know... haha

You don't think that all other things equal, having the leadership and experience cheerleading has given me, along with the educational foundation that my triple major and minor has given me would be valuable to an adcom? If that's true, then I might as well go cure cancer!

But all other things aren't equal. Your stats are below average for US allopathic matriculants. If an adcom was trying to decide between two candidates with the same stats, then leadership experience comes into play, but grades very much trump ECs, and you're lacking in this area. I'm not sure what you mean by "educational background," but if you believe that having so many majors and a minor is going to be a significant help to you, I have to disagree. Medical schools want your GPA to be as high as possible, and you chose a route in college that didn't facilitate this. If you're happy with that decision, that's fine, but understand that you've set yourself up to be at a disadvantage in this regard.

As has been mentioned to you, your ECs are "icing." You have it straight from LizzyM, and she's an admin who knows what she's talking about. Frankly, I think you are making too much of your cheerleading. It is a neat and unusual EC, but it is not going to make your application so incredibly unique that the shortcomings of your application will be overlooked. ECs are certainly important, but grades + GPA >>> ECs.

I'm not really using it as an excuse, I'm just saying that it's not like I'm just stupid and that's why my science GPA is so bad. My non-science is like a 3.7. I'm just saying, give me a break, it's not like I'm the average pre-med student who happens to have a 3.0 science gpa. Also, when recalcuating my gpa, that was in addition to my bad grades, so I didn't just erase them.

Whether or not you're like other premeds with 3.0 science GPAs is anyone's guess. I would imagine that many people get those GPAs due to significant involvement in an EC or unusual choice of courseload, so I don't think you're actually all that unique in this sense. Again, I think you believe that your cheerleading sets you apart more than it actually does.

In a pool of thousands of applicants, the reality of the situation is that med schools can afford to be picky. Unless you're a URM or have extreme mitigating factors, most places won't care why your science GPA is so low; they will only care that it is low, and that they have plenty of other applicants to choose from with higher stats. THis is why most applicants make the decision to get the highest possible GPA through a combination of hard work and intelligent course selection.

You're getting some great advice on this thread, but it doesn't seem like some of it is getting through to you. You have about two pages of people telling you that your attitude is a problem and that you're coming off as very arrogant. Instead of downplaying this by claiming that people are taking issue with your cheerleading, you really should take that constructive criticism to heart. The reason people keep mentioning it over and over again is because it's an issue.

Finally, I just want to address a point you made a while back: that most of us would prefer to be graduates of US allopathic schools rather than DO or Caribbean schools. I won't deny this or even say that it's wrong; certainly many/most applicants do have that preference. However, for those people with low or borderline stats, most of them would rather find some way of becoming a doctor, even if the particular med school they attend isn't what they were initially hoping for. They go to whatever med school accepts them and they count themselves lucky because they get to be doctors someday. Just because someone has a preference to be an MD does not mean they should limit themselves to allopathic schools.

actually, now i feel like we're ganging up on you. Ok, you get the point. And for future reference, you know what is considered offensive.

Possibly. I think most of what's been said is fair and valid, but there has certainly been a fair amount of constructive criticism which could possibly sound overwhelming. So, OP, I wish you luck. There's a lot of good advice here, and I hope you will accept the salient points and do well in some future cycle.

:thumbup: Best post so far in this thread.

BTW virusgirl, sorry about UMass, but congrats on Tulane!

Last edited:
Do NOT rush your MCAT. Whatever you do. If you get a bad score, it's not a deal breaker, but you'd be digging yourself into a very deep hole.

I can't tell if this is a troll or not. If you are, good job; you hooked quite a few.

If not then, my advice to you is don't let your language on this forum come off in your PS, secondaries and, most importantly, your interview. Your ego and sense of entitlement will only have a negative effect for you in the application process. As competitive as it is nowadays, it should be an honor and a privilege to attend any medical school in the United States.

Oh and boost that sGPA...a lot.

It's just a matter of what college means to you, like I said, it's not my stepping stone to med school, for many it is (i'd argue not 99%, but okay). I've had a ton of well rounded experience, i think it's a lot more than most of those 99% can say and I'm fine if it's cost me tenths of my gpa--I can get that back, you can't get 4 years of your life back though.

You're right, I can not get the last 4 years back. I did spend 4 years studying like crazy and did miss out on some fun things. However, I really want to be a doctor and I want to do something I love for a 35+ year career. I'm focused enough to see the big picture. I am setting myself up to enjoy the rest of my life and not just 4 years of college. I hope you gain some perspective on what is important and are able to set new goals for yourself to acheive your dreams.

Thanks a lot guys for your posts--the stuff's sticking ;)

Last edited: