CCOM Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DarkCloudXD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well there wasn't a thread for CCOM so I thought I would make one. Congrats to all of the people that got accepted to CCOM. For all the people that are attending CCOM tell us where you're from, and what specialty you plan on practicing in the near future.

Specialty of Interest: Emergency Medicine, Sports Medicine, and Orthopedics

EDIT: Join our "CCOM class of 2014!" Facebook Group!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Specialty of Interest: Something surgical? I like hands on stuff. But at this point, I'm keeping my mind open. So much cool stuff! That's what I love about medicine. There's so much you can do!

Congrats to everyone! I'm really excited!

Got accepted yesterday!! Couldn't be more excited...i literally feel like i am dreaming! :love:

Interest: No clue yet! I am open to anything and everything! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey if you are accepted you should join the facebook group, if you havent already :) Im heading out to look at apartments next weekend. Ill let everyone know what I find.

Will be attending for Class of 2014. Didnt see a Facebook group up yet though for 2014. I'm from the Chicago area and would be glad to answer questions, too.

Interest: General Internal medicine or Emergency medicine

Hey everybody! I just found out I was accepted today and I'm looking forward to meeting all of you in the fall.

I'm from: Chicago burbs

Interests: Emergency medicine (I work in an ER) and sports medicine.

Anybody here going to live on campus?

im thinking about living on campus. i dont have a car and cannot afford one and i dont want to deal with the stress of driving in the winter to class (especially with 730am exams). i was looking at the pine apartments but it's hard to tell what they are really like. has anyone seen inside of them?

Hey otis,
I'm a CCOM 2013, I live in the redwood II dorms. Just thought I would give anyone the pluses and minuses of living on campus that I have experienced.

Pros:
-Walk to class, awesome when there has been over a foot of snow!
-Easy access to the anatomy lab, you will be getting very friendly with it!
-Make friends with other peeps living in the dorms
-My room is pretty nice, the furniture is good temperature control is now good

Cons:
-Even though I live in redwood, the controlling of my AC and heat isn't the best. Sometimes, my room would hit 80 degrees, while in winter! Once I came back from break, the room has been about 70. But others are still having trouble about the too much heat or too little heat in their rooms. Traditional halls I heard are cold!
-Cafeteria CLOSED on the weekend! Yep!
-Cafeteria only open for breakfast, lunch (11-1pm) and dinner (5-630pm)

I myself, being accepted in May, had little time to really get a decent apartment with my fiancee. I settled, since the commute would have killed me from my hometown. Some still commute from Chicago making the trip currently about 2 hours sometimes! Apartments are hard to attain.

I tried to be brief, any info, feel free to message me!

Hey otis,
I'm a CCOM 2013, I live in the redwood II dorms. Just thought I would give anyone the pluses and minuses of living on campus that I have experienced.

Pros:
-Walk to class, awesome when there has been over a foot of snow!
-Easy access to the anatomy lab, you will be getting very friendly with it!
-Make friends with other peeps living in the dorms
-My room is pretty nice, the furniture is good temperature control is now good

Cons:
-Even though I live in redwood, the controlling of my AC and heat isn't the best. Sometimes, my room would hit 80 degrees, while in winter! Once I came back from break, the room has been about 70. But others are still having trouble about the too much heat or too little heat in their rooms. Traditional halls I heard are cold!
-Cafeteria CLOSED on the weekend! Yep!
-Cafeteria only open for breakfast, lunch (11-1pm) and dinner (5-630pm)

I myself, being accepted in May, had little time to really get a decent apartment with my fiancee. I settled, since the commute would have killed me from my hometown. Some still commute from Chicago making the trip currently about 2 hours sometimes! Apartments are hard to attain.

I tried to be brief, any info, feel free to message me!

How was living in the dorms with you spouse? From the description I've heard of them, I didn't really consider it a possibility to move in with my wife, did it turn out alright?

I'm coming from seattle and I have no idea how I'm going to work out this housing issue, I would really like to avoid agreeing to a lease without seeing the place in person first.

Unfortunately, she isn't living with me. I believe you can only live with those who are students of the University. Security here is somewhat tight. You need an ID to go anywhere. Luckily, my fiancee lives in my hometown only about 40 minutes away so visiting her isn't too much of a problem. Also, you can have a guest sleep over and stay, but the only problem is that they cant really go anywhere without an ID. So, if you have a wife/husband or someone you would like to live with you, off campus living is for you. I'll update you all on good places to live around here since I'll be looking in mid-Feb with the fiancee.

Unfortunately, she isn't living with me. I believe you can only live with those who are students of the University. Security here is somewhat tight. You need an ID to go anywhere. Luckily, my fiancee lives in my hometown only about 40 minutes away so visiting her isn't too much of a problem. Also, you can have a guest sleep over and stay, but the only problem is that they cant really go anywhere without an ID. So, if you have a wife/husband or someone you would like to live with you, off campus living is for you. I'll update you all on good places to live around here since I'll be looking in mid-Feb with the fiancee.

Thanks, an update would be very helpful. On an unrelated topic. . .

I was looking over the sample schedule last night that they gave us interview day. Is anyone else a little concerned about the lack of time/support that we will have to take the comlex and or usmle.

Granted I am getting two years ahead of myself, but it is concerning. It appears that the MSII spring quarter is relatively light, yet how is it right that we get a total of about 2 1/2 weeks of devoted time to study for these tests, yet other schools alot over a month. . . anyone have thoughts?

Sorry for complaining already, this school seems great and I confident that things will work out. Just curious if someone out there has any insights that I am overlooking or just too inexperienced to perceive. Thanks.

Hi,
Just noticed this! I was accepted on 1/28.

Specialty of Interest: Open to almost anything right now. Thinking maybe: Internal Medicine, Ob/Gyn, or Emergency Medicine.

I'm also planning on living in the dorms. I ranked them in order of price, except for the "traditional" residence halls. I ranked those last because of the no AC.

Do we need an invite to join the CCOM c/o 2014 facebook group?

Hi Everyone, congrats to everyone who has gotten accepted! I am actually still in the process of applying and have just submitted my secondary. I feel like it's pretty late (even though the deadline is 3/1) and was wondering if you all wouldn't mind helping to ease my anxiety about getting an interview? They have rolling admissions so I'm not sure if the class is full yet. How long did it take for CCOM to get back to you about an interview and how far away was it, or when did you interview? This would help me out so much. Thanks everyone and good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,
I just found out this thread exists so thought I'd drop a message. I'm from the Chicago area and will be entering CCOM class of 2014. I plan on getting an apartment somewhere nearby off campus. There are a few good places I know of like Versailles, Yorktown, City View, and Brook Hill. Looking forward to meeting you guys in the Fall! :)

Hi Everyone, congrats to everyone who has gotten accepted! I am actually still in the process of applying and have just submitted my secondary. I feel like it's pretty late (even though the deadline is 3/1) and was wondering if you all wouldn't mind helping to ease my anxiety about getting an interview? They have rolling admissions so I'm not sure if the class is full yet. How long did it take for CCOM to get back to you about an interview and how far away was it, or when did you interview? This would help me out so much. Thanks everyone and good luck!

Your questions are more on-topic for this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=9235576#post9235576

In fact if you dig through the thread, you'll find a lot of us posted our timeline there already.

Does anyone know when we get our first student loan money? I'm trying to plan when I should quit my job and move to DG. If I can afford it, it'd be nice to have some time off before orientation since I'm getting married the last week of July.

Interests: IM, Rads, Neuro, Psych, getting caught in the rain

Last edited:
Does anyone know when we get our first student loan money? I'm trying to plan when I should quit my job and move to DG. If I can afford it, it'd be nice to have some time off before orientation since I'm getting married the last week of July.

Interests: IM, Rads, Neuro, Psych, getting caught in the rain

You should plan on having enough money to get you through August. The first year they hold off on loan refunds to make sure everyone plans on staying in. You won't get the money until late august. The financial Aid office will be able to give you an exact date

- KC
CCOM 2012

Hey future schoolmates! Congrats to all of you on your acceptances--MANY great experiences lie ahead of you :)

I'm an MS-2 living across the street from campus on 31st in an Oak Brook Colony town home. I have two roommates, and our lease ends in June/July--if anybody's looking for a spacious, 3-bedroom place within walking distance of campus, feel free to send me a message with any questions you might have; I'd be happy to send pictures and a list of specs, as well.

$2100/month (split 3-ways) + utilities.

Enjoy the rest of your pre-class time! If anyone has any questions regarding school/books/Chicago/etc., don't hesitate to message me!

Hey everyone,

I have a condo for rent or sale in Darien, just less than 15 min south of school, just far enough so when you go home you're actually away from campus. Its a 2 bdrm, 1 bath, 2nd floor end unit, so you only have a neighbor below and on one side. It about a 5 min walk to the library, across the street from a park, and quick access to the major interstates. Buy for $135K or rent for $1050/month. Rent includes heat and water. Check out the pictures on Craigslist. PM me or click the Reply To on the site.
http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/reo/1663558509.html

Hi everyone!
Congratulations on your acceptance at CCOM. I am graduating in May and I am looking for someone to rent my fabulous condo downtown available July 1.
33 W. Ontario Chicago, IL 60654 if you want to google it

It is next to EVERYTHING-the best restuarants (Hub51, Quartinos just to name a few), the best clubs (Manor, Rhino, etc.), and awesome bars. You are a few block walk to Michigan Ave. and about a 15min. walk to the lake front.

2bdrm/2bth so great for roommates
-24hour doorman so building very safe
-pool with deck
-sweet gym
-stainless steal appliances
-granite countertops
-limestone entry way
-Attached parking garage so you never have to look for a spot, ~200$/month

Rent is $2400/month and includes: gas, heat, and water

Email me if you have any interest and want to see photos [email protected]

Congrats to all incoming folks. Enjoy your fleeting moments of freedom. For anyone looking to stay close to the school check out:
http://www.nulivingmngt.com/

I've lived in one of their buildings in downtown Downers Grove for the past two years and will be moving into Chi for 3rd year rotations. The...ir apartments are within walking distance to numerous bars/restaurants/shops/coffeeshops and the public library. It's a chill place to live a few miles from campus. I don't own stock but I did enjoy my two years there. Feel free to send me questions and such--about the apartments or school. Cheers!

Last edited:
Hello Everyone,

I`m wondering if anyone out there living around downers grove could help me out with something.

The wife, myself, and the cat are planning on moving out there the last week of June, and beginning the search for an apartment.

If anyone has a spare room I could compensate farely for a place to sleep, we don`t need to store stuff or anything like that, just sleep and keep the cat there. Anyways, I know this is a longshot, but if that sounds reasonable to anyone please pm me. . . thanks

Hey Guys,

Congratulations to everyone who got in!! I was so excited about coming to Midwestern, and I even got a great 1 bedroom apartment in Yorktown apts, which is less than a 5 minute drive from Midwestern. But then yesterday I got into another school, closer to home. Is anyone looking to a great 1 bedroom? I've included details here, let me know if you are interested. I'm looking to transfer the lease over to the new owner!

A spacious and beautiful 1 bedroom apartment available for immediate move-in in Yorktown Apartments (www.yorktownapthomes.com) Including a furnished kitchen, with all appliances, a balcony, ample closet space, and brand new carpeting. Beautiful location and great amenities, 24-hr on site assistance for repairs/maintenance, 24 hour gym, business center, covered parking.

$ 929 per month

Thanks!

i recently got in off the alternate list...so i will see you all in less than one month!!!!

Last edited:
Just wanted to say hey to my new classmates.

Anyone looking for a roommate?

If so let me know, I'm kind of am in a rush to find somewhere to live off such short notice.

See you guys soon

Last edited:
Hey Guys,
I am selling some of my first year books like "Clinically Oriented Anatomy" and various atlases for classes. All were bought brand new and there is absolutely no wear or tear on them. Let me know if anyone is interested.