CCOM - Class of 2007!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
BUMP!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

40 more days?!?

it's creeping up....but still long enough away to drive me crazy.

although it's only 28 more days until I leave on my cross-country drive! :clap:

Where are you going on this trip?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to CCOM of course........

well...it's almost cross-crountry........from the beach in southern california to chicago.

Hey CCOMers,

I have received some emails for the upcoming CCOM MSI BBQ at my place in Chicago. Please keep the emails coming. I am posting my original ppost and the following is still needed...

Hey everyone,

I finally got my act together on this potluck BBQ. Remember I will have parking permits for everyone who is driving.

So the following are the steps to respond to the BBQ.

1) Please email me at [email protected] Also, please tell me if you are bringing your significant other or spouse and what item you will be bringing.

2) Once you email me, I will send you an email with a word document attached that will have directions and a hand drawn map ;-) Plus, I will email you to tell you if 100 other people are bringin that item and ask you to bring something else :)

3) The following is the list of items that we will need people to bring. Adam and I will take care of buying the meat+veggie burgers, ketchup, mustard, mayo, onions, lettuce, and tomatoes.

- Plastic Silverware (a lot)

- Good Hamburger buns (2-3 dozen)
- Hot dogs buns (2 dozen)

- Side/Salad (4- 6 people)
- Side/Salad (4-6 people)
- Side/Salad (4-6 people)

- Dessert (4-6 people)
- Dessert (4- 6 people)
- Dessert (4 -6 people)

- Soda/Lemonade (4 -6 people)
- Soda/Lemonae (4-6 People)
- Soda/ Lemonade (4 -6 people)

- Appetizer (4 - 6 people)
- Appetizer (4- 6 people)

- Tortilla Chips and Salsa

P.s. the number of people is a suggestion. The more food the better :)

P.p.s. if you can't bring something because you just can't cook or you are driving in, Adam and I will ask for a small donation to help out with our costs :)

Current CCOMers:

Hello and good day! I have a question I hope you can help me with. I was wondering what orginizations/clubs you would recommend joining and those you would recommend against. Also, when exactly do you join, and I think I heard from someone that there is a day we should bring $$ and everyone joins all their selected orgs/clubs. Is this true? One more, if you were in the EM club what exactly were the benefits and what really went on within the club. I am an EM fanatic and I am hoping the EM club is like the website says!! :) Anyway, your help/advice in this matter is most appreciated!! As always, THANKS!!!!!

Don't forget, it's coming up real soon. I am so excited to meet everyone. At our last outing we didn't have a lot of people show, but we did have fun and we all got along great! I just know this BBQ is going to be a great time! Take care and I'll chat with you all soon!! :)

Adam.....

thanks for post that....it's great

Hey adam,

I remember when the count down was at 100 days. 35 days, whooh, its coming up. I hope everyone is excited and anxious as I am. See you all at the BBQ.

-Aaron

man, time does fly. 34-33-32-31.....now, should i start staying up until 3 am and drinking endless amounts of coffee and Coca-cola for practice???? :laugh:

BBQ sounds great, count me in!!

see you all later,

keith

Hey guys:

I just wanted to let everyone know that Claymore will probably be attending the BBQ. As you may or may not know, Claymore (Andy) is going to be an MS-II this year. He has been one of the most helpful people to me on SDN and I just felt compelled to invite him. He is always soooo willing to answer anything within his capacity. Anyway, I just thought it would be cool to meet and talk with an MS-II so close to orientation!! :) Who knows, maybe he will bring some friends and we can start to build a bridge between our two classes!! Well, I have to go now, but I will talk to everyone later. Take care and enjoy your day!! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

One more week until the big BBQ. if you haven't RSVP, please do so. Adam and I will need the count so we can plan on how much meat to get. So, please make sure you email me, so I can give you directions. I will also send out my phone number to those who have emailed me by Wednesday night. If you need it earlier, I can give it to you starting sunday, but email me if you need it. I am going camping this weekend in Wisconsin. Lets hope there will be no rain ;-) I wish you all the best. It looks like the countdown is nearing one month...
-Aaron
CCOM 2007

Hey Audrey:

The BBQ will begin anytime between 5:30p and 6p. I don't believe that we are going to start cooking until the majority of people have arrived. So, I think if Adam is able to get there around 6:30p or 7p he will be just fine. And if not, I promise to save him a bite to eat ;):). Talk to everyone soon!!!!

Hey audrey,

Adam is right we probably won't start the BBQ until later. i told people to arrive between 4-5 p.m to grett and meet eachother. I figure most peope will arrive around 5 p.m. If your husband can't get there until later don't worry, there will be enough food for everyone.

-Aaron

p.s. I will send you all an email in the next few days. ciao :)

Hey guys. I hope that everybody is having a really great summer. I am going to be driving to Chicago pretty soon and am going to be trying to live off campus. Before finding my own place, I was wondering if there is anybody from CCOM that was interested in getting a roomate around school. Please email me at [email protected] if anybody is interested or know anybody esle who might be. See you guys soon.

Just wanted to post my two cents...now that I have found a place to live...still not an official member of the class...but anyway. The search for a place to live was quite a struggle...let me tell you that most of the places with vacancies...well lets just say they have them for a reason!!! If you dont mind living surrounded, and well almost smothered by trees, and bugs...there are quite a few places...if instead you are looking for a nice welcoming, home like environment they are few and far between!!! NOw i had a 70 lb dog to place so that really put a damper on my search...if you dont have any animals then you will be just fine...but for anyone interested I got a place at Licoln at the Parks...a place that was advertised way out of my budget...and after specials I am only paying 730 a month!!! So my words of advice are....DONT GIVE UP....you will find a place...but the search is NOT fun!!!

Hello everyone,
Looking forward to meeting you all on Saturday. I'm bringing a couple of other MS-2's along with me so we'll be able to welcome you into the CCOM class. Hope you all can make it.

MS-2
Midwestern University-CCOM

Originally posted by BPlato
Anyone know if campus is/or is planning to be wireless?

See you all soon.

I don't know if anyone responded to this post or not, but I would also love to know the answer to this.

I do know that I have a wireless router that I bought for my dorm room. So depending on how nice everyone is, I might leave it unprotected so people can share!:D :D

Also....what day is that BBQ? Adam, I was thinking about calling you on your cell that day to say hi.

Kristopher:

Two things. First, the BBQ is this Saturday (8/9/03) at ~5p. Please feel free to call and see how everything is going! :) Second, I like to think I am pretty good with computers, but could you explain to me what a campus going wireless is. I am in the dark with this one! Thanks and talk to you soon!! :) Take care!

Hey Adam....I will definitely give you a call during one of my breaks on Saturday while at TRAFFIC SCHOOL ! UGH!:mad:

As far as what wireless is.........

basically it's a system that allows you to long onto the internet/intranet without being plugged in. There would be a system of wireless routers around campus, allowing you to use a laptop which has a wireless card to be online. For example, you could be sitting on the lawn outside of the library with your laptop, and could be reading your email, etc...... Many hospitals and some schools have a wireless system.

What I am doing for my dorm room is essentially the same idea. I have a wireless router that I will plug into my computer in my room and the ethernet connection. I then will be able to turn on my laptop without it being plugged into anything and have internet access. So I will be able to sit in the dorm lounge or outside and be connected.

Hey Kristopher,

I was thinking about making my dorm room wireless as well. I am in A109, what room are you? Maybe if enough people go wireless, the campus, by default, will be wireless :)

-Aaron

thanks for the info kristopher...I almost wish now that I would have gone with a laptop...oh well what are you gonna do! also, I look forward to hearing from you on Saturday! Rememebr, I will let everyone know about 9/2/03's "welcome night out on the town" (or whatever you want to call it :)) talk to you later!

sounds great adam.....

Aaron.....i'm in A205.....so I guess our building might be a wireless one! :clap:

did everyone else get the email about the hypnotist/comedien that the school hired for the last night of orientation? if it's the same guy that I think it is, he is HILARIOUS! I'm pretty excited about it.

Hello. I was wondering something the other day. I know it might have already been posted but I am too lazy right now to look!;) Anyway, I was wondering if everyone would post if the are married, engaged, have a significant other, or are single? I will begin:

1. Adam D. Lee--> Engaged (Wedding set for 10/9/2004)
2.??

Well it's 12:33 a.m. I just finished cleaning up my place. Now it's time for bed. I had a wonderful time tonight. Thank you to all who came to the BBQ, especially the MSII's, you guys were really great and answered a lot of questions. It looks like we are going to have a fun time during medical school. Anyway, can't wait to see you all again.

-Aaron

i hope the bbq went well......

adam...i'm sorry i didn't have a chance to call you today. i forgot to bring along your cell number with me to traffic school.....needless to say i would have much rather been hanging out with all of you in Chicago!

See everyone soon!!!!! only 12 more days until I head out to Chicago!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Hello everyone:

The BBQ was a smash hit. It was great to finally put some faces to names! Adrianne and I had a wonderful time!! :) I am sorry we could not stay any longer, but I know we won't be short for time for seeing each other in the near future!;) Aaron, you were a great host and I really appreciate you letting us into your home for our little get together! Well, in 23 days we will be moving in and just can't wait to start! I hope everyone enjoyed the BBQ and I will talk with everyone soon!! Take care! :)

as far as being engaged, or married goes. I've been with my girlfriend Brynn for the past 6.5 years. She's really more than a girlfriend. We plan on getting married someday so i guess you could call that engaged although it's not "official". She's moving to Naperville with me in just 9 days. wow, only 9 more days.

I know i haven't been too prominent in this forum but i'm really looking forward to meeting everyone.

does anyone know if we are allowed to bring someone with us to the hypnotist guy? I'd like to bring brynn so she's not sitting in our apartment all by herself.

Hey All,

The BBQ was a lot of fun! It was great meeting everyone in person. I can't wait till we all get to hang out again. :)

Aaron, thanks so much for hosting the bbq!

Casey, the email about the hypnotist said that we are welcome to bring friends/family. I'm sure it'll be perfectly ok for you to bring your gf. My younger brother was really interested in coming too.

Hey Audie...... I was wondering if there was any great advice that was shared by some of the MSII's that you could post on here. :clap:

Here are some of the main points I remember from the MS-IIs:

*"Everyody will go to every lecture for the first 2-3 weeks, then there is a steady drop off with around only 10% of the students who really attend lecture."

*The notes are very very thorough!!

*Neuroscience is one of the best classes offered.

*The first quarter of MS-I year is the easiest, then it's all downhill from there.

*There is A LOT of material the first year.

*A & P and biochem are the classes that should be given the most attention to during first year!!

*Tests last year were Mondays and Tuesdays with some on Fridays!

*1 out of every 8 students failed Anatomy! ( I am only 90% sure about this one, I think it was Anatomy but maybe an MS-II would be kind enough to clarify this).

These are just off the top of my head...maybe Audrey and some others could add to this list!! :) Anyway, talk to you all soon!

Kristopher:
Everyone I talked with thought it was a great idea to go out on 9/2/03!!

Aaron-
Thanks a lot for having us over to your place on Saturday, it was a good time. It was nice to meet all of you before classes start.

Adam-
Could you send me those pictures of the apartments you were talking about?

If you could send them to:

[email protected]

Thanks,
See you all in a few weeks.

Have any of you looked over the information about the dining hall plans? What are you all thinking that you're going to be doing for lunch? It seems like a little bit of a waste to pay $6.50 per lunch in that cafeteria, just thought I'd see what you all were thinking.

Hey guys....thanks for sharing the info from the MS-II's.
I just watched Gross Anatomy and was beginning to come to realize the amount of work that's ahead of us. Then if that wasn't enough, I went to the MWU intranet and read some of the anatomy lectures! Ouch! By the way, if you guys haven't seen Gross Anatomy, it's a decent movie. Two of my close friends that went to UCLA and USC said that movie is the closest to the reality of being a med student.

Anyway.....Brian, as far as meal plans go, I will probably be on the two meals/day plan. It might be more than I need or want, but I would rather do that then have to worry about going out or shopping for food. Also, did you know that the cafeteria has been completely redone? From what I hear, it's going to be pretty nice.

Kristopher:

Do you remember what that will cost you a semester or year for the two meal/day plan? Just wondering, because I really don't remember where I put that info! Thanks! :) Also, is "Gross Anatomy" at any local Blockbuster?

here is the link to the dining plan info.

I think i'll probably go with the 5 meals a week so that i can eat there for lunch. by eating at the cafeteria i can actually choose healthy food rather than going out for fast food every day. And if i remember correctly it is all you can eat. I just better not eat too much or they'll have to raise the prices.

Originally posted by DO2007(ER)
Here are some of the main points I remember from the MS-IIs:

*"Everyody will go to every lecture for the first 2-3 weeks, then there is a steady drop off with around only 10% of the students who really attend lecture."

*The notes are very very thorough!!

*Neuroscience is one of the best classes offered.

*The first quarter of MS-I year is the easiest, then it's all downhill from there.

*There is A LOT of material the first year.

*A & P and biochem are the classes that should be given the most attention to during first year!!

*Tests last year were Mondays and Tuesdays with some on Fridays!

*1 out of every 8 students failed Anatomy! ( I am only 90% sure about this one, I think it was Anatomy but maybe an MS-II would be kind enough to clarify this).

These are just off the top of my head...maybe Audrey and some others could add to this list!! :) Anyway, talk to you all soon!

You got most of it right. Just to clarify for those who weren't there:

1. Perhaps those attendance figures are exaggerated a bit. But you will notice that attendance will steadily drop off as the year wears on. There are a few classes that you should attend regularly, but most offer little more than what is in the notes. You will get a feel for the classes that can be skipped after the first couple of weeks.

2. Most people would agree that 1st quarter is easiest, because you have the least amount of material (fewest classes, no Physiology). But, most people perform worst during first quarter because it takes a while to get used to the workload. Almost everyone improves a bit 2nd and 3rd quarter despite the increased workload.

3. Anatomy and Physiology will be your hardest classes, guaranteed. Many people did not take Biochem prior to med school (myself included) and did just fine. I think it is one of the stronger courses during 1st year.

4. 20 people failed first quarter Anatomy last year (out of 160). This is largely because so many people did poorly on the first exam. My advice...be sure to do well on that first exam, or you will have a significant hole to climb out of the rest of the quarter.

Most of the other stuff seems accurate. Let me know if any other questions pop up. It was good meeting you guys this past weekend, we had a good time. And thanks to Aaron for hosting the party. See you guys in a month.

-Andy

MS-2
Midwestern University-CCOM

I don't think the link is working, so here is the meal plan info:

http://mwunet.midwestern.edu/administrative/SS/ssDining.htm

Thanks for the responses about the cafeteria. I guess I'm also gonna go for the 5/week for lunch, that's just one less thing to worry about during the day.

See you all soon.

Adam-
Did you get my email about the pictures?
If that doesn't work, can you send them over PM on this?

As for the meal plans, I think I remember the paperwork saying that we can fill out the form and decide what we want during orientation.

And Gross Anatomy was not at any of the Blockbusters here in Los Angeles, but my friend owns the DVD. So I just borrowed it from him.

from what i understand, i don't think you can roll-over meals to the next week

If I did the math right, it actually works out that it costs the same if you buy a package of 5/week and if you just pay each time you go. Since there is no rollover, I think it probably makes more sense to just pay on an individual basis.

I'm planning on getting the 5/wk meal plan.

Hi Audrey, from what I understand, the meals don't roll over from quarter to quarter. I definitely remember reading that.

This is off subject, but have any of you gotten the titers drawn yet? I plan on doing it at school. Not looking to forward to that. :p

BPlato or anyone else:

To views some pics of the CCOM apartments just go to my website (click "www" below this post) and you will find six pictures! :)

PS: Brian, sorry so late!! :)

Thanks Adam, those help a lot.

I've had my titers drawn already. no big deal. just one stick with a few tubes of blood. i'll have the results tomorrow.

You guys aren't afraid of needles are you?

I've been drawing blood as a phlebotomist for almost 6 years. I've also been on the other end of the needle plenty of times; dental work, tattoo, minor surgeries, etc.

It doesn't matter for me - I still hate getting blood drawn! I'll put up with it, but, I won't be happy about it!!:mad:

Originally posted by CTashby

You guys aren't afraid of needles are you?

No, not afraid of needles, just hate when they're used on me. ;)

I called the wellness center today, and the lady said that for those of us who are having the titers drawn at school, there will be a mass drawing at the end of September. Can't wait!!!!! :rolleyes:

Ok, who else is freaking out now that we are starting school in just three weeks!?!? :eek: I'm really excited, but at the same time, I have NO idea what to expect! Anyone else feeling a little scared?