Case Western (UP) vs UTSW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UTSW vs Case Western(UP)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DrPurr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone comment on the pros and cons of these 2 schools? Here's the list I came up so far.

Case Western

Pro:
1. P/F
2. short lecture time

Con:
1. Cleveland...:rolleyes:
2. High cost of attendance

UTSW

Pro:
1. College system
2. Happy students

Con:
1. grading system

I know they pretty much have the same reputation and ranking. How about the clinical and research opportunities at each school? I'm not awarded a scholarship so I guess it would be expensive for me to attend Case Western. I personally don't hate Cleveland that much but Dallas seems like a pretty fun city to me :D Any thought?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Without taking anything else into consideration, would you say the benefits of Case are worth an extra ~30-40k a year in cost?

Unless there is something extremely compelling about the school itself that you can't get at UTSW (family, significant other, some particular area of research), I really don't know if I could justify the difference in cost, especially since both schools have similar reputations.

Just a few things to add about UTSW:
- 2 new hospitals (which will already have a year of operation by the time you start clinicals)
- Texas weather vs. Ohio weather (as a native Texan... what is winter?)
- Case has quite a bit of PBL, while UTSW is probably more lecture based. I personally prefer the lectures (since I just stream lectures for a few hours a day and then I'm free to do whatever I want), but to each their own
- The preclinical facilities at UTSW are a bit on the older side, although that's just an aesthetic thing

The clinical and research opportunities should be similar at both schools.

If you want to spend an extra 100K or more for the privilage of living in Cleveland for the next 4 years, then by all means.

Status
Not open for further replies.