Career paths. Bounce off some ideas.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You wouldnt do that route or you wouldnt admit it?

I wouldn't go that route. I work from home and make site visits and set my own schedule. And I don't carry a beeper.

Members don't see this ad.

Those 2.0 can have a residency days are long gone. Anecdotal evidence means little when residency goes for 3.5 GPA now a days. So let's not waste more time here in this topic.

The sooner you get your head out of your ass about this grade thing, the better off you'll be. You touched on glass ceiling previously..not sure what you're thinking but your grade isn't going to overcome it. Residency doesn't require 3.5 GPA and as it may be a barometer for some residencies, the strength of candidate we're look for is well rounded individuals who can make up for poor academics with other qualifying and attactive traits. Which I don't see you display on this forum. First..you have no sense of humor. Get one. 2nd, you're still haven't even finished P3... and think what your professor taught you on CF tobra dosing is gospel.. get real. 3rd, as of today, I would not hire you. But I would hire WVU in a heartbeat. Why? He's what you call..street smart. You're not.

And I'll talk about 2.0 GPA if I want to on this thread either you like it or not...it's a freaking open forum. Lighten up cowboy.

What you call my anecdotal experience is light years ahead of what you perceive as evidence based experience in pharmacy practice, especially in health systems pharmacy.

But I would hire WVU in a heartbeat. Why? He's what you call..street smart.

I have my money on the prediction that WVU's next avatar is gonna be him with that quote printed on a T-shirt.

With a heart around it.

Worn out and unwashed.

With stains.

Gross.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have my money on the prediction that WVU's next avatar is gonna be him with that quote printed on a T-shirt.

With a heart around it.

Worn out and unwashed.

With stains.

Gross.

sick! :smuggrin:

The sooner you get your head out of your ass about this grade thing, the better off you'll be. You touched on glass ceiling previously..not sure what you're thinking but your grade isn't going to overcome it. Residency doesn't require 3.5 GPA and as it may be a barometer for some residencies, the strength of candidate we're look for is well rounded individuals who can make up for poor academics with other qualifying and attactive traits. Which I don't see you display on this forum. First..you have no sense of humor. Get one. 2nd, you're still haven't even finished P3... and think what your professor taught you on CF tobra dosing is gospel.. get real. 3rd, as of today, I would not hire you. But I would hire WVU in a heartbeat. Why? He's what you call..street smart. You're not.

And I'll talk about 2.0 GPA if I want to on this thread either you like it or not...it's a freaking open forum. Lighten up cowboy.

What you call my anecdotal experience is light years ahead of what you perceive as evidence based experience in pharmacy practice, especially in health systems pharmacy.

Yeah i barely look at a candidates GPA. WIth that being said that might change in the future with all of these degree mills opening up. I look at what they do outside of work and school. There are enough pharm dorks who will quiz them on their rotations, why they love pharmacy, and what their 5 year plan is.......

Yeah i barely look at a candidates GPA. WIth that being said that might change in the future with all of these degree mills opening up. I look at what they do outside of work and school. There are enough pharm dorks who will quiz them on their rotations, why they love pharmacy, and what their 5 year plan is.......

Well... because of those diploma mills, I would think GPA should be even a lesser equalizer in evaluating candidates... How do we compare someone from UCSF...Michigan...Texas with 3.1 vs. newly opened school's grad with 4.0. Or can we say 4.0 from great school is a better candidate than a 3.2 from a diploma mill? I can't say.

wow, somebody is full of himself. Good luck getting a residency with a 2.0 today. I don't care the least bit of whether you would hire me or not or what you believe for that matter. Stop wasting bandwidth.

Well... because of those diploma mills, I would think GPA should be even a lesser equalizer in evaluating candidates... How do we compare someone from UCSF...Michigan...Texas with 3.1 vs. newly opened school's grad with 4.0. Or can we say 4.0 from great school is a better candidate than a 3.2 from a diploma mill? I can't say.

Correct...but looking at a 2.5 from st marys of woods pharmacy school vs. a 2.5 at lets say kentucky would be different in my opinion. But like i said currently i dont look at it much and base on the interview and what else they do.

Correct...but looking at a 2.5 from st marys of woods pharmacy school vs. a 2.5 at lets say kentucky would be different in my opinion. But like i said currently i dont look at it much and base on the interview and what else they do.

It is human nature to be biased, but I think newer schools have more to prove to themselves and the rest of the pharmacy world that their program might actually be harder than the well-established schools.

When we go buy something, just because it costs more does not mean it is better.

But what if you get a person (like me) that is like a danged snake oil salesmen in interviews? I can sweet talk...throw in that Appalachian accent...:laugh:

Really, its impossible to rate a person based on anything unless you know them personally rather well. Grades are a so-so barometer...though I suppose the only quasi-subjective barometer. But really, all that measures is how well and willingly a person jumps through hoops. I know kids that had 3.8+ GPAs in Rx school that I wouldn't trust with working mail order. On the flip side, I know kids that hated school, barely got by with 2.6GPAs and excel in the real world as clinical pharmacists. How about real life...I had like a 2.9 GPA...this Pitt grad who started at the same time as me was in Rho Chi with a 3.8+ GPA. 6-7 months into our careers I'm already working on my own and doing night shifts completely alone for the last 4 months...and he's just this weekend working a shift on his own. He had a higher GPA from a "higher ranked" school. And why is he developing a tad slower than me? No idea...I think he's a really smart dude...he just didn't get ready to be alone on his own as fast as I did. It's all about self-confidence, ability to think critically on your own feet, and not being timid in the face of new tasks/challenges. I know my experience is anecdotal, but let's call a spade a spade...so isn't the assumption that high GPA is synonymous with a person having the most potential.

It's like football and what college you went to...what college did Ben Roethelisberger go to? Steve McNair? Flacco? They weren't **** coming out of high school...unknown in college...but the real world appreciates them because the real world is about results and to a lesser extent potential...

Last edited:

Finally a voice of reason. Due the increase in competition for residency, I see school's reputation will become a significant factor as well. The number of residency spots is finally less than the number of applicants, and the gap can only widen with so many diploma mills opening up.

Mean while, for many positions, residency is becoming more like a requirement than an option. The increased competition is driving up the minimum grades, along with all the other requirements such as EC, experience, leadership, interview skills. :D

Finally a voice of reason. Due the increase in competition for residency, I see school's reputation will become a significant factor as well. The number of residency spots is finally less than the number of applicants, and the gap can only widen with so many diploma mills opening up.

Mean while, for many positions, residency is becoming more like a requirement than an option. The increased competition is driving up the minimum grades, along with all the other requirements such as EC, experience, leadership, interview skills. :D

and so you have grades and some work experience... are you hoping those will cancel out your devoid personality?

Members don't see this ad :)
and so you have grades and some work experience... are you hoping those will cancel out your devoid personality?

Do you know me in person? Obviously not. I just don't mess around work or study because their importance to me and take them very seriously.

Never had problem landing a job or at interviews. When I was about to graduate with my BS, Pfizer called to recruited me. Why? Because I did a summer internship for them the year before, and they liked me. At the same time, I had gotten into a med school.

Do you really want to know why I am so careful about choosing my career path now? Here it is: I was crazy in love with my ex-gf at the time. She asked me not to go to med school and be together with her. So I chose the pfizer job and helped her get her masters. I even pulled strings to get her a sweet IT job at Pfizer. Just when I thought we were all set, she has an affair with her boss. I'm not going to choose my next career move badly again. That's why I'm so into all this.

Last edited:
Xiphoid2010, I think that you are right. No matter how much personality you have, if you do not have the academics or background to back that up, you will never get far enough, especially in a technical, science oriented position.

And I think that school reputation for PharmD will ESPECIALLY matter, due to the proliferation of many of these new pharmacy schools that are opening up, and even a few that are not even part of an existing university. I think that you should really go with option (3) based on your previous background. I just sent you a private e-mail.

There should be a control on the number of these new schools. But this is what happened with the MBA and JD as was discussed many times on this forum. And now, the MBA and JD are so important as to what school you get the degree from.

Do you know me in person? Obviously not. I just don't mess around work or study because their importance to me and take them very seriously.

Never had problem landing a job or at interviews. When I was about to graduate with my BS, Pfizer called to recruited me. Why? Because I did a summer internship for them the year before, and they liked me. At the same time, I had gotten into a med school.

Do you really want to know why I am so careful about choosing my career path now? Here it is: I was crazy in love with my ex-gf at the time. She asked me not to go to med school and be together with her. So I chose the pfizer job and helped her get her masters. I even pulled strings to get her a sweet IT job at Pfizer. Just when I thought we were all set, she has an affair with her boss. I'm not going to choose my next career move badly again. That's why I'm so into all this.

DUDE go back to med school!!!!

Xiphoid2010, I think that you are right. No matter how much personality you have, if you do not have the academics or background to back that up, you will never get far enough, especially in a technical, science oriented position.

And I think that school reputation for PharmD will ESPECIALLY matter, due to the proliferation of many of these new pharmacy schools that are opening up, and even a few that are not even part of an existing university. I think that you should really go with option (3) based on your previous background. I just sent you a private e-mail.

There should be a control on the number of these new schools. But this is what happened with the MBA and JD as was discussed many times on this forum. And now, the MBA and JD are so important as to what school you get the degree from.

Got it. :) You got mail. Yeah, having a bad academic background only hurts, not helps your chances at getting your foot in the door.

I still got a few good connections in pharma, so it's not a bad way to go, I'm just a bit worried about the industry outlook as a whole. I did my internship with Warner-Lambert, Pfizer bought them and hired me, then Pfizer bought Pharmacia, now it's buying Wyeth... Head roll, and only a few get gold parachutes.

DUDE go back to med school!!!!

Hey, watch it! That's the sore spot.

Oh, believe me, I thought about it ALOT before picking pharmacy school. But after that many years lost, another 10 years of med school + residency was just too long. I crunched a lot of numbers, and it just didn't look pretty. Giving up that medschool back then will always be my biggest regret, and my parents will make sure of that.

But hey, being young, madly in love, impulsive sure felt great while it lasted. :p

But what if you get a person (like me) that is like a danged snake oil salesmen in interviews? I can sweet talk...throw in that Appalachian accent...:laugh:

Really, its impossible to rate a person based on anything unless you know them personally rather well. Grades are a so-so barometer...though I suppose the only quasi-subjective barometer. But really, all that measures is how well and willingly a person jumps through hoops. I know kids that had 3.8+ GPAs in Rx school that I wouldn't trust with working mail order. On the flip side, I know kids that hated school, barely got by with 2.6GPAs and excel in the real world as clinical pharmacists. How about real life...I had like a 2.9 GPA...this Pitt grad who started at the same time as me was in Rho Chi with a 3.8+ GPA. 6-7 months into our careers I'm already working on my own and doing night shifts completely alone for the last 4 months...and he's just this weekend working a shift on his own. He had a higher GPA from a "higher ranked" school. And why is he developing a tad slower than me? No idea...I think he's a really smart dude...he just didn't get ready to be alone on his own as fast as I did. It's all about self-confidence, ability to think critically on your own feet, and not being timid in the face of new tasks/challenges. I know my experience is anecdotal, but let's call a spade a spade...so isn't the assumption that high GPA is synonymous with a person having the most potential.

It's like football and what college you went to...what college did Ben Roethelisberger go to? Steve McNair? Flacco? They weren't **** coming out of high school...unknown in college...but the real world appreciates them because the real world is about results and to a lesser extent potential...

Now, if you present it like that people actually will agree with you. I agree, grades are hardly the whole pictures here. We can all name geeks that can't do anything else other than study, and some bad students that actually shaped up at work. But even if grades and performance is hit or miss, it's better than nothing. The fact that it's used is the problem here. Someone might have a huge potential, but if he never gets a chance because he sucked in school, then he's SOL.

Hey, watch it! That's the sore spot.

Oh, believe me, I thought about it ALOT before picking pharmacy school. But after that many years lost, another 10 years of med school + residency was just too long. I crunched a lot of numbers, and it just didn't look pretty. Giving up that medschool back then will always be my biggest regret, and my parents will make sure of that.

But hey, being young, madly in love, impulsive sure felt great while it lasted. :p

look at all the non-trads doing it....if you are gonna regret just do it now

Now, if you present it like that people actually will agree with you. I agree, grades are hardly the whole pictures here. We can all name geeks that can't do anything else other than study, and some bad students that actually shaped up at work. But even if grades and performance is hit or miss, it's better than nothing. The fact that it's used is the problem here. Someone might have a huge potential, but if he never gets a chance because he sucked in school, then he's SOL.

Yeah, but the cream always rises. Even if you don't get into some residency...go get an MBA and start at a small hospital as the DOP. Essentially, if you have the nose for creating efficient, cost-saving, and therapeutically relevant pharmacy practice, in the long run nobody will care which path you chose to get there. That's all I'm saying.

And, honestly, the most important aspect to success is, as sad as it is, networking. Who you know is very important.

If you ask me...and if I'm you...I'd go to medical school. It's what you want to do. By the time we are old, we'll all work until we're 75...you still have PLENTY of time to forge a new career.

Yeah, but the cream always rises. Even if you don't get into some residency...go get an MBA and start at a small hospital as the DOP. Essentially, if you have the nose for creating efficient, cost-saving, and therapeutically relevant pharmacy practice, in the long run nobody will care which path you chose to get there. That's all I'm saying.

And, honestly, the most important aspect to success is, as sad as it is, networking. Who you know is very important.

If you ask me...and if I'm you...I'd go to medical school. It's what you want to do. By the time we are old, we'll all work until we're 75...you still have PLENTY of time to forge a new career.

you should go too!

WVU, I agree. There are other ways to get around. Creams do rise to the top, but will take longer when lacking the shorter routes.

Glad you are thinking of the MBA route too. The thing with MBA is which school/program makes a big difference, the higher ranked ones are very competitive.

And??? What's your point? Are you just trying to sell residencies, GPAs, and the like to yourself and everyone else, because that's what you've already decided is important to you?

Even though most of the people who have commented on this thread are completely full of themselves about this, which is a HUGE turn off to me, they're still trying to get you to open up your eyes and see the big picture, not the tiny details like GPA and where you went to pharmacy school.

Ok. So you've worked for Pfizer, in a hospital ER, and some retail (if I remember correctly). But, have you ever talked to a pharmacy manager or DOP about what it takes for you to move up and to get their job?

I've talked to people about it. One DOP, where I will be doing a rotation :love: this fall, said that he was really surprised that someone interested in management came up to him at the career fair, because everyone else was scooping up their freebies from WAGS and such and completely ignoring their booth.
I spoke to another DOP at the career fair, who I had previously worked with, and he told me, "Hey! You should come by and do a rotation."- which I will also be doing this fall. :love:
So... What have you done thus far, besides keeping a good GPA and looking into residencies, to put yourself in the direction of management?

Last edited:
To med school? Hahahaha. No way, no interest, no how. I'm starting on an MBA this fall/next spring. I want to run operations...

Oh yeah? Where at? I like some of the online programs, but people seem to diss them

you should go too!

LOL, stop picking on the scabs here. Shouldn't have even brought up my past. I'm kicking myself more for letting feelings cloud judgment, the years wasted, than not being a doc.

I already made the call, am good at what I do and lots of opportunites ahead. Also met a wonderful gal in my class, just waiting to make some dough to get married. Some one must like me up there. ;) :xf:

LOL, stop picking on the scabs here. Shouldn't have even brought up my past.
If you really want to to go to med school later on, then maybe you should work your *** off after you graduate so that you can have your house and loans paid for. If your new girl cares about your professional happiness, then she'll be happy for you to go- and so will your parents- after your finances are in order.

Shoot! You could use one stepping stone to get to another stepping stone, i.e. you could work part-time as a pharmacist while in med school. There's nothin' wrong with that! :D I've thought about it before. I like pharmacy and medicine.

I probably wouldn't go, if I were to go, until my early or mid 30's.
I'm kicking myself more for letting feelings cloud judgment, the years wasted, than not being a doc.
Don't ignore your feelings!

Feelings are opposite of rationality for a reason; they can bring incredible happiness to your life (or wreak havoc) in ways that rationality can not. You can rationalize anything, but you can not feel good about everything.

Last edited:
Oh yeah? Where at? I like some of the online programs, but people seem to diss them

From everyone I've talked to - nobody will care where your MBA comes from in pharmacy.

I haven't decided which school yet...I'm compiling options currently. Actual live MBA programs I like are..well...just Waynesburg University here near Pittsburgh. they have very flexible scheduling options. Great for a working professional. Online programs...I like Western Kentucky, Mississippi State, California State University-Dominguez Hills, UMASS and North Alabama...all are under $15k. I think Miss State and UMASS probably have the best name recognition.

Last edited:
If you really want to to go to med school later on, then maybe you should work your *** off after you graduate so that you can have your house and loans paid for. If your new girl cares about your professional happiness, then she'll be happy for you to go- and so will your parents- after your finances are in order.

Shoot! You could use one stepping stone to get to another stepping stone, i.e. you could work part-time as a pharmacist while in med school. There's nothin' wrong with that! :D I've thought about it before. I like pharmacy and medicine.

I probably wouldn't go, if I were to go, until my early or mid 30's.
Don't ignore your feelings!

Feelings are opposite of rationality for a reason; they can bring incredible happiness to your life (or wreak havoc) in ways that rationality can not. You can rationalize anything, but you can not feel good about everything.

First let me say I'm not selling residency. This thread is about about my career options, before someone sidetracked it. I'm looking at residency/fellowship because that's the shortest route to a lot of great opportunities. I completely agree that grades are only a small part of the big picture, but to say that grades don't matter to getting a residency is just not facing the facts. Mean while, I got a rotation on the community side of management next year. Also met with the residency coordinator, residents, and the DOP at my hospital to get my names out. I'm confident I'm in a pretty good shape. :)

Passing up on MD the second time was a tough choice, but it's the right choice. Pharmacy got a lot of opportunities that I enjoy as well. I made the call, and I'll stand by it.

Going back to get MD later is an option. But we've been together 3 years now, plan to get married upon graduation and have kids shortly after. It's all been said, and I already feel bad that my residency/MBA is going to leave her doing a lot of the heavy haul for a while. Asking her to give up more than a million $ in income, tough it out with me for 10 year and pay $200K+ in the process is just too much. Even if she agrees, I'm not ok with it. :love:

First let me say I'm not selling residency. This thread is about about my career options, before someone sidetracked it. I'm looking at residency/fellowship because that's the shortest route to a lot of great opportunities. I completely agree that grades are only a small part of the big picture, but to say that grades don't matter to getting a residency is just not facing the facts. Mean while, I got a rotation on the community side of management next year. Also met with the residency coordinator, residents, and the DOP at my hospital to get my names out. I'm confident I'm in a pretty good shape. :)

Passing up on MD the second time was a tough choice, but it's the right choice. Pharmacy got a lot of opportunities that I enjoy as well. I made the call, and I'll stand by it.

Going back to get MD later is an option. But we've been together 3 years now, plan to get married upon graduation and have kids shortly after. It's all been said, and I already feel bad that my residency/MBA is going to leave her doing a lot of the heavy haul for a while. Asking her to give up more than a million $ in income, tough it out with me for 10 year and pay $200K+ in the process is just too much. Even if she agrees, I'm not ok with it. :love:
After reading this, I'm sitting here shaking my head, because it's obvious that you base all of your decisions on your significant other... which is a horrible idea!

Didn't you learn anything from your first relationship?; you missed out on your dream of going to med school because of it. Geez!

(I haven't heard this much BS in a while... I guess you'll just keep trying to patch those disappointment wounds until you retire.)

If your significant other truly loves you and cares about you, then she will care about your professional happiness. Plain and simple.

After reading this, I'm sitting here shaking my head, because it's obvious that you base all of your decisions on your significant other... which is a horrible idea!

Didn't you learn anything from your first relationship?; you missed out on your dream of going to med school because of it. Geez!

(I haven't heard this much BS in a while... I guess you'll just keep trying to patch those disappointment wounds until you retire.)

If your significant other truly loves you and cares about you, then she will care about your professional happiness. Plain and simple.

Oh, c'mon. Why do people who hardly know each others are so willing to paint people with a broad stroke?

The biggest factor in my current career choices are made based on calculated cost/benefit/opportunities. Now you are accusing me of doing it for emotional reasons because I ruled out Med school later on?

Nobody should do a career just because they like it. Financial and time investment is just as big part of the decision process. And putting a huge burden on your family without consider their wellbeing is just being an ass.

Oh, c'mon. Why do people who hardly know each others are so willing to paint people with a broad stroke?

The biggest factor in my current career choices are made based on calculated cost/benefit/opportunities. Now you are accusing me of doing it for emotional reasons because I ruled out Med school later on?

Nobody should do a career just because they like it. Financial and time investment is just as big part of the decision process. And putting a huge burden on your family without consider their wellbeing is just being an ass.

Yeah lets remember that going back to med school isnt just "going back" to school. It is a long process that includes a grueling residency. Currently, after you are done who knows what will be around. I know some pharmds who do it. Some are happy with that choice and some wish they never went down that road.

I think your current options are all great. They will prob change 10x before you graduate. When I graduated I decided to just work and make a decision after taking some time off. I weighed heavily on going back to med school, residency, or mba. I think you show maturity and foresight which cant be said about many pharmers I meet. You will be fine. I think one of your hardest decision will be deciding if you want to have a clinical background or go more towards management. Both are good choices.

.......................................:lame::lame:

What kids? What family? Your parents even want you to go.

Oh well... just keep trying to sell that to yourself.

Yeah lets remember that going back to med school isnt just "going back" to school. It is a long process that includes a grueling residency. Currently, after you are done who knows what will be around. I know some pharmds who do it. Some are happy with that choice and some wish they never went down that road.

I think your current options are all great. They will prob change 10x before you graduate. When I graduated I decided to just work and make a decision after taking some time off. I weighed heavily on going back to med school, residency, or mba. I think you show maturity and foresight which cant be said about many pharmers I meet. You will be fine. I think one of your hardest decision will be deciding if you want to have a clinical background or go more towards management. Both are good choices.
lame............. cookie cutter response from a resident who should have gone back to med school............. lame

awwwwwwwww the p3 is angwy

sorry just dont think we should be giving this guy advice on relationships and personal matters. Pharmacy topics are a dif story, but dating and girlfriends should be off limits

awwwwwwwww the p3 is angwy
No. You're funny, though. :laugh:

Actually, the fat cat pharmacist I work with is married to a PharmD/MD, and they pull ~$500k/year. She's happy as a clam, and he's constantly throwing hissy fits at work. Go figure... ;)

Sometimes it is not as simple as we like to see it. Every situation is different and is sometimes more complicated than it really seems to be.

I don't know OP's personal issues. But I do think he is doing a great job trying to think everything through.

I believe it is possible for someone to love you for who you are and care for you yet totally disagree with your career/professional goals. That is just my opinion.

sorry just dont think we should be giving this guy advice on relationships and personal matters. Pharmacy topics are a dif story, but dating and girlfriends should be off limits
I know. It is the internetz after all. Unfortunately, though, that's the root of all of his problems, as far as I'm concerned.

No. You're funny, though. :laugh:

Actually, the fat cat pharmacist I work with is married to a PharmD/MD, and they pull ~$500k/year. She's happy as a clam, and he's constantly throwing hissy fits at work. Go figure... ;)

what does this have to do with anything?:confused:

It is somewhat disturbing that you know how much they "pull in." What specialty is this PharmD/MD?

Last edited:
what does this have to do with anything?:confused:
Xiphoid was talking about the financial burden of going to med school, doing a residency, losing a million dollars worth of pay, paying $200K for med school, etc. So, I just wanted to bring up the fact that such a married couple (an MD married to a PharmD) could pull some serious bank.