Career paths. Bounce off some ideas.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xiphoid2010

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. Need to bounce ideas off of people regarding future career paths. I guess it's close to that fork in the road.

A little background about me. P3, a good student at a well respected school, completing Pharm.D with Business minor in 2010. Been working internship at both Walgreens and Hospital ED sat. Worked for Pfizer as a medchem scientist for several years before pharmacy school.

I enjoy therapeutics, pharmacology. Like logic/reasoning, dislike pure memorization. Professor and TA see me as a strong clinical person. For business minor, enjoyed finance/operation aspect specially, not so much marketing. Back in medchem research, was good at it and content, however knows little of type of research Pharm.D do.

Others will probably describe me as: motivated, disciplined, calculative/analytical. But uncreative, obsessive and unsympathetic/critical.

The only sure thing I know right now is: (a) retail pharmacist is not for me. (b) need more than being a staff pharmacist at hospital.

Options open:
(1) 1 year clinical residency --> 3-4 years evening MBA --> mid management in either hospital or retail
Pro: 1 year decrease in income; Possible tuition reimbursement for MBA; Good at and happy with clinical is certain, can fall back to it.
Con: Takes longest to fully complete; tuition reimbursement is not certain; residency is a lateral move to higher positions.

(2) 2 year pharm admin residency --> directly to DOP in a needed hospital
Pro: Shortest route to finish. Like finance/operations. Want more power and money is certain. :D
Con: 2 years; can't fall back to clinical job; happiness in management is uncertain due to lack of experience.

(3) 2 year industrial fellowship --> research for pharma --> aim for directorship
Pro: background/connection in pharma; higher pay than clinical; good at and content doing research.
Con: 2 years; pharma industry facing tough times; was not passionate doing research.

I'm pretty confident that I can get gain access to any of the 3. The ultimate goal is to move up, to as high as of a position that I don't nesscarily have to be love, just not unhappy doing.

I've been talking with a lot of friends, professors, TA, residents... yet, I constantly feel the need more data to be more sure. So I hope I can bounce the options off in the forum to access more brains and ideas. Thank you. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys. Need to bounce ideas off of people regarding future career paths. I guess it's close to that fork in the road.

A little background about me. P3, a good student at a well respected school, completing Pharm.D with Business minor in 2010. Been working internship at both Walgreens and Hospital ED sat. Worked for Pfizer as a medchem scientist for several years before pharmacy school.

I enjoy therapeutics, pharmacology. Like logic/reasoning, dislike pure memorization. Professor and TA see me as a strong clinical person. For business minor, enjoyed finance/operation aspect specially, not so much marketing. Back in medchem research, was good at it and content, however knows little of type of research Pharm.D do.

Others will probably describe me as: motivated, disciplined, calculative/analytical. But uncreative, obsessive and unsympathetic/critical.

The only sure thing I know right now is: (a) retail pharmacist is not for me. (b) need more than being a staff pharmacist at hospital.

Options open:
(1) 1 year clinical residency --> 3-4 years evening MBA --> mid management in either hospital or retail
Pro: 1 year decrease in income; Possible tuition reimbursement for MBA; Good at and happy with clinical is certain, can fall back to it.
Con: Takes longest to fully complete; tuition reimbursement is not certain; residency is a lateral move to higher positions.

Pro: Shortest route to finish. Like finance/operations. Want more power and money is certain. :D
Con: 2 years; can't fall back to clinical job; happiness in management is uncertain due to lack of experience.

(3) 2 year industrial fellowship --> research for pharma --> aim for directorship
Pro: background/connection in pharma; higher pay than clinical; good at and content doing research.
Con: 2 years; pharma industry facing tough times; was not passionate doing research.

I'm pretty confident that I can get gain access to any of the 3. The ultimate goal is to move up, to as high as of a position that I don't nesscarily have to be love, just not unhappy doing.

I've been talking with a lot of friends, professors, TA, residents... yet, I constantly feel the need more data to be more sure. So I hope I can bounce the options off in the forum to access more brains and ideas. Thank you. :)

I'm sure you're going to get a lot of answers saying "we cant answer this for you, do what you enjoy." All I wanted to add is that, if you hope to move up, regardless of what you're doing, the only thing you will be doing is management- so saying happiness in management is uncertain, but you want to move up doesn't make much sense...

I'm sure you're going to get a lot of answers saying "we cant answer this for you, do what you enjoy." All I wanted to add is that, if you hope to move up, regardless of what you're doing, the only thing you will be doing is management- so saying happiness in management is uncertain, but you want to move up doesn't make much sense...

I'm not looking for a job to make me happy. For that, I look to family and friends. I just want a career that doesn't make me miserable, and offer good potential for me to advance.

I enjoy the satisfaction of acing exams, although I didn't love studying for it (but I don't mind studying for it either). Same goes for work, I tend to derive satisfaction from good outcome more than the process. Success, prospering family, more money and power, has a happiness factor of its own. :)

Members don't see this ad :)

Options open:

If I were you, I would do 3)....you already have the background for it.

Then you can do an MBA after.

Re: 2) If you want to do admin, why not just do the Pharm Admin PhD program at your school? It is well regarded and if you're hard working, it won't take too long, per se.

I have to say....

"we cant answer this for you, do what you enjoy."

And "career that doesn't make me miserable, and offer good potential for me to advance" can be any career within pharmacy...

Sounds like an eHarmony.com personal description.

that's how you see yourself or would like to be described as.

You'll achieve more if you love your job.

One advice.. Don't Bull S H I T a Bull S H I T T E R.

^ more constructive input would be more useful. I'm trying to choose between 3 good career paths, all with pros and cons. So far, management/clinical/professors all saying good things about their career paths, none regrets it.

I provided honest no bull**** info. I don't mess around or play games when it comes to work or study.

Last edited:
^ more constructive input would be more useful. I'm trying to choose between 3 good career paths, all with pros and cons. So far, management/clinical/professors all saying good things about their career paths, none regrets it.

To tell you they regret it is to admit they made wrong decisions. And their egos won't let that happen...especially if they're in academics.

I provided honest no bull**** info. I don't mess around or play games when it comes to work or study.

That makes you a very dull and boring person... ligthen up.

oh..and I didn't say you were bull****ting.... I'm just telling you not to bull**** a bull****ter... that's all.

Bull***t a Bull***tter and you'll end up with some Beechnut spit in your eye.

If I were you, I would do 3)....you already have the background for it.

Then you can do an MBA after.

Re: 2) If you want to do admin, why not just do the Pharm Admin PhD program at your school? It is well regarded and if you're hard working, it won't take too long, per se.

Yeah, I do have the background. But I think Ph.D on top of pharm.D offers too little return on an additional 3-4 years of investment, in comparison to a fellowship which takes less time and offer similar opportunities.

The other thing is, my old boss and friends still in that field is telling me that the big pharmas are having a tough time. One of the professor is actually a guy working for Pfizer. We struck it off one day and will be doing a rotation with him. But he warned that his division was 200+ strong, but now only 60 of them left, and there is a hiring freeze.

I know some company like J&J are still doing ok, but I have to wonder about the future of big pharma as a viable model of business. The era of blockbusters is gone. Anybody else here have a different feeling?

As currently, I'm leaning more towards (1) and (2). But is still open to (3) pending more info.

To tell you they regret it is to admit they made wrong decisions. And their egos won't let that happen...especially if they're in academics.

That's why I am still considering. I know people tend to defend their decisions to minimize dissonance. But right now I want more info, not less.

Haha ask my girlfriend... she thinks I'm way too goofy outside of work and class. :laugh: I keep work and play strictly separate.

Members don't see this ad :)

I will admit it...if I was 18 again I would go pre-med/pre-dent and went into one of those 2 fields...

They are all good choices. I'm also trying to decide between options one and two. When I first started pharmacy school, I was so sure that I wanted to do a 24-month admin residency because that was the only thing I was exposed to, and I thought that was what I wanted to do. Now I'm not so sure. I like the business aspect of it, but I'm not really sure I'd enjoy the job itself. Hopefully rotations will help me decide and will help you decide too. I think doing a regular residency is better than doing the 24-month admin one because a lot of DOP didn't even do one and a lot of them don't even have MBA. A little of luck and a nice personality go along way. Expecting too much will only lead to disappointment. You should just do what you enjoy to do and if you are good at what you do, you will advance no matter what you do.

For now, I like option 1 the best

because a lot of DOP didn't even do one and a lot of them don't even have MBA. A little of luck and a nice personality go along way. Expecting too much will only lead to disappointment. You should just do what you enjoy to do and if you are good at what you do, you will advance no matter what you do.

That's what I'm talking about.. very good! :thumbup:

They are all good choices. I'm also trying to decide between options one and two. When I first started pharmacy school, I was so sure that I wanted to do a 24-month admin residency because that was the only thing I was exposed to, and I thought that was what I wanted to do. Now I'm not so sure. I like the business aspect of it, but I'm not really sure I'd enjoy the job itself. Hopefully rotations will help me decide and will help you decide too. I think doing a regular residency is better than doing the 24-month admin one because a lot of DOP didn't even do one and a lot of them don't even have MBA. A little of luck and a nice personality go along way. Expecting too much will only lead to disappointment. You should just do what you enjoy to do and if you are good at what you do, you will advance no matter what you do.

For now, I like option 1 the best

Good to meet someone in a similar situation. I agree on many points. I also think having an MBA will be no less competitive than having a Masters in Pharm Admin. Hence both routes can get us to the DOP position and further. Then the main question between the 2 routes is time value vs security of having a clinical residency.

While plenty of DOPs dont' have residency and MBAs, I think that trend will change. Most of them are left over from the pre-pharm.D/residency days. As they leave the stage, and replaced by us and future graduates, we'll see Admin residency and MBA become a more common theme, just like new clinical pharmacists requiring a residency now adays.

Maybe I'm overly analytical when it comes to important job matters. I'm sure rototaions definitly will give us more info. Unfortunately some of the roations won't be happening until after the midyear, so the picture won't be complete before I set off on applying. That's concerns me. :(

I think the best route time-wise is to do a residency and MBA at nights. After you finish your MBA, you will have worked as a clinical pharmacist for a few years. In my opinion, in order to be a good DOP, you need to know what is like to be a staff and clinical pharmacist. You can't just sit in the office making all the big decisions without really knowing what is going on out there. One of my preceptors is a DOP. He told me that he never applied for the job, one day they just asked him if he wanted it and he's been doing it for almost 20 years. He definitely works more than 40 hours a week and he said that when he was a clinical pharmacist, he had to read a lot to keep up. Now that he's a DOP, he has a whole different level of stress. So unless you are 100% sure running a pharmacy is what you want to do, I don't think you should commit 24-month of admin residency only to find out otherwise. Besides, there are other ways you can take to get there.

In my opinion, in order to be a good DOP, you need to know what is like to be a staff and clinical pharmacist. You can't just sit in the office making all the big decisions without really knowing what is going on out there.

That is absolutely true.

Yeah, I do have the background. But I think Ph.D on top of pharm.D offers too little return on an additional 3-4 years of investment, in comparison to a fellowship which takes less time and offer similar opportunities.

The other thing is, my old boss and friends still in that field is telling me that the big pharmas are having a tough time. One of the professor is actually a guy working for Pfizer. We struck it off one day and will be doing a rotation with him. But he warned that his division was 200+ strong, but now only 60 of them left, and there is a hiring freeze.

I know some company like J&J are still doing ok, but I have to wonder about the future of big pharma as a viable model of business. The era of blockbusters is gone. Anybody else here have a different feeling?

As currently, I'm leaning more towards (1) and (2). But is still open to (3) pending more info.

Father is mid-level management in pharma (JNJ) and I talk to him a lot about this - Pharma is going through a lot of consolidation right now and tough times like every other industry in the world. Comparatively speaking though, they're in a decent place compared to everyone else. They're sitting on huge piles of cash (or were before the mergers) and snapping up companies like crazy.

I'm one to believe that the era of blockbuster drugs is over, and that the future of the pharma industry lies in biotech startups and companies like Genentech. The moral of the story is that ... If you're good at what you do then job oppurtunities are never going to be a worry for you - pharma will always need bright researchers with leadership aptitude.

Father is mid-level management in pharma (JNJ) and I talk to him a lot about this - Pharma is going through a lot of consolidation right now and tough times like every other industry in the world. Comparatively speaking though, they're in a decent place compared to everyone else. They're sitting on huge piles of cash (or were before the mergers) and snapping up companies like crazy.

I'm one to believe that the era of blockbuster drugs is over, and that the future of the pharma industry lies in biotech startups and companies like Genentech. The moral of the story is that ... If you're good at what you do then job oppurtunities are never going to be a worry for you - pharma will always need bright researchers with leadership aptitude.

I see the future in generic biotech. Merck is getting into it.

I think the best route time-wise is to do a residency and MBA at nights. After you finish your MBA, you will have worked as a clinical pharmacist for a few years. In my opinion, in order to be a good DOP, you need to know what is like to be a staff and clinical pharmacist. You can't just sit in the office making all the big decisions without really knowing what is going on out there. One of my preceptors is a DOP. He told me that he never applied for the job, one day they just asked him if he wanted it and he's been doing it for almost 20 years. He definitely works more than 40 hours a week and he said that when he was a clinical pharmacist, he had to read a lot to keep up. Now that he's a DOP, he has a whole different level of stress. So unless you are 100% sure running a pharmacy is what you want to do, I don't think you should commit 24-month of admin residency only to find out otherwise. Besides, there are other ways you can take to get there.

Very valid points and one that I too have pondered on many times. Security and certainty is definitly something that's in option (1)'s favor. If I wanted it to play it safe, that's what I would go with, no doubt about it. It has a lot of pros.

I derive satisfaction from outcomes, so am in the habbit of setting and achieving a series of goals. Working at Pfizer taught me how crappy hitting a glass ceiling and being held back by your background feels. So dispite clinical work being fun right now, I know I'm not going to be happy stuck being a clinical RPh for long.

And the only real good way of advancing is on the management side. So I guess yeah, I'm sure that's what I want. :) But I'm open to the different management functions, settings, and open to the different routes. Process doesn't drive me, goals do.

Biotech definitly has more of a potential. Kinda sucks that all my past work is on small molecules. No denying there are opportunites in R&D, but the funny thing is... even in R&D organizations, the big reward is on the managment side.

There is a saying at pfizer, the closer you are to money, the more you make. Meaning, for the same level of education/experience, R&D will make less than sales/finance. :p

Reactions: 1 user
I did research for 1 year (with someone that you probably know since I know where you go to school...lol), and while the professor was extremely nice, I didn't really enjoy it. One of my rotations is with Pfizer, but it will be after the mid-year meeting. It definitely won't help me decide, but I just wanted to see other settings out there than just community and hospital. So it might even be at the same place that you worked for. Small world huh?

Are you going to do an admin rotation? I think that would be a good first step to see if you like it.

I'm taking over your job :p (by default of course...so when are you going to retire)

Others have already taken my DOP jobs... I would love for someone to take over my current job so I can move on to other projects.

I did research for 1 year (with someone that you probably know since I know where you go to school...lol), and while the professor was extremely nice, I didn't really enjoy it. One of my rotations is with Pfizer, but it will be after the mid-year meeting. It definitely won't help me decide, but I just wanted to see other settings out there than just community and hospital. So it might even be at the same place that you worked for. Small world huh?

Are you going to do an admin rotation? I think that would be a good first step to see if you like it.

hahaha, it's indeed a small world. For your sake, I hope it wasn't Dr. Curley that you did it with. :D I worked at Ann Arbor labs, michigan. But that's gone now. 3,000 R&D colleagues lost their job or had to relocated, truely sad when I heard that.

I didn't get any hospital admin rotation. But got one of the retail rotations that is admin focused. Not sure how relevent that is, and it's also after midyear. So not a lot of help there. :( Mostly info has been coming from people's mouth.

Others have already taken my DOP jobs... I would love for someone to take over my current job so I can move on to other projects.

what's your current job, and what are you trying to move on to?

what's your current job, and what are you trying to move on to?

Well, I oversee 20+ hospital pharmacies right now..Ops and Clinical..

But I enjoy marketing, assessment, consults, and teaching.. so less Ops and Clinical, more Consults and Teaching..

FYI - I took a new intern to a code the other day and I've been quizzing her hard at work.

This one might have a little potential.

Well, I oversee 20+ hospital pharmacies right now..Ops and Clinical..

But I enjoy marketing, assessment, consults, and teaching.. so less Ops and Clinical, more Consults and Teaching..

Nice. Consulting, I can see that. But teaching? I thought you hated that stuff. I have a hard time seeing you teaching. :D

Nice. Consulting, I can see that. But teaching? I thought you hated that stuff. I have a hard time seeing you teaching. :D

I resemble that remark.... do you not remember that PK thread? I love teaching..

FYI - I took a new intern to a code the other day and I've been quizzing her hard at work.

This one might have a little potential.

Ah, but did the student like code? I remember when went on my first trauma, didn't have a clue about what they were barking, what they want, or even where things are. It was fun as hell. After a while, you get a feel for things, who'll order diprovan for intubation and who goes for etomadate, ect.

I heard there was one pharmacist who went pale and wept when a patient's wife cried over the body. ED is a great place to learn, but takes a certain fortitude.

I resemble that remark.... do you not remember that PK thread? I love teaching..

yeah, just not sure about the way you teach won't get you fired. :D

The funny thing is, we finally were taught CF, and finally a call for tobramycin in treatment regiments. But you are going to tell our professors to have intercourse with themselves, but we are taught and required to do PK the whole complete way for dosing (no estimates, no short cuts), since a huge chunk of CF patients are pediatric. ;)

do you not look at the drugs - you spelled them all wrong!!!

anyway, I was heading up, as I'm the only one that was ACLS certified that night and asked if she wanted to go. She was super excited. It ended up being pretty blah - one of my cardiology patients with a GI bleed developed flash pulmonary edema after blood products. So they just intubated and took her to the MICU.

do you not look at the drugs - you spelled them all wrong!!!

anyway, I was heading up, as I'm the only one that was ACLS certified that night and asked if she wanted to go. She was super excited. It ended up being pretty blah - one of my cardiology patients with a GI bleed developed flash pulmonary edema after blood products. So they just intubated and took her to the MICU.

hehe, my spelling does suck. Has never been a good speller, not even when I was writing in chinese. :D

Meh. My best one was as GSW + coumadin overdose attempted suicide. What's yours?

Have you ever though of going into PBM? From what I understand, they use analytical and clinical skills.

Have you ever though of going into PBM? From what I understand, they use analytical and clinical skills.

Not much exposure here. Care to enlighten us more about what kind of job and career paths they offer?

yeah, just not sure about the way you teach won't get you fired. :D

The funny thing is, we finally were taught CF, and finally a call for tobramycin in treatment regiments. But you are going to tell our professors to have intercourse with themselves, but we are taught and required to do PK the whole complete way for dosing (no estimates, no short cuts), since a huge chunk of CF patients are pediatric. ;)

If I get fired it's not because I would teach you guys how to really dose antibiotics correctly..unlike your non practical academia type professor...it would be for some other mundane reasons I'm sure.. :smuggrin:

Not much exposure here. Care to enlighten us more about what kind of job and career paths they offer?

Ok let me enlighten you. This is from the brochure that I got from one of PBM companies.

Formulary Development: Reviews medical literature and develops formulary recommendations based on the efficacy, safety, and uniqueness of meds

Clinical Consultative Services: Develops reports and education materials for health plans and patients and monitors the drug pipeline for upcoming meds

Outcomes: Reviews med use trends across entire health plans; analyzes impact of utilization management programs and formulary changes

DUR: Reviews med use by patients, develops programs to address appropriate use of meds and evaluates the success of programs

Utilization management: Develops programs such as prior auth or step therapy to encourage safe, effective, and preferred therapies

Account management: Communicates with health plans on clinical programs such as utilization mgmt and serves as liaison between pharmacy benefit manager and health plan on clinical programs

You can find more info on www.amcp.org about these type of jobs

Remember my 2.0 GPA roomie we debated about? Well, he's a PBM topdawg in Southern Cal. Despite his low GPA, he did a PGY-1 and masters in PharmEcon.

Remember my 2.0 GPA roomie we debated about? Well, he's a PBM topdawg in Southern Cal. Despite his low GPA, he did a PGY-1 and masters in PharmEcon.

I hear PharmEcon is where all the cool kids go to make big bucks. truth?

Those 2.0 can have a residency days are long gone. Anecdotal evidence means little when residency goes for 3.5 GPA now a days. So let's not waste more time here in this topic.

I'm currently taking pharmecon, it's interesting stuff. Too bad I lean too heavily towards financial results, when asked the rhetorical question of how much a year of patients life's worth, when the rest of the class is silent, I said "their average $ in productivity output". Bwahahaha

Last edited:
Ok let me enlighten you. This is from the brochure that I got from one of PBM companies.

Formulary Development: Reviews medical literature and develops formulary recommendations based on the efficacy, safety, and uniqueness of meds

Clinical Consultative Services: Develops reports and education materials for health plans and patients and monitors the drug pipeline for upcoming meds

Outcomes: Reviews med use trends across entire health plans; analyzes impact of utilization management programs and formulary changes

DUR: Reviews med use by patients, develops programs to address appropriate use of meds and evaluates the success of programs

Utilization management: Develops programs such as prior auth or step therapy to encourage safe, effective, and preferred therapies

Account management: Communicates with health plans on clinical programs such as utilization mgmt and serves as liaison between pharmacy benefit manager and health plan on clinical programs

You can find more info on www.amcp.org about these type of jobs

Thanks. Seems like something that'll able to take advantage of my finance interest. I'll look into it and ask some some people in person. It's interesting that, unlike retail/hospital, hardly any PBM people come to the college to give talks. :)