Cardiology job opportunities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MaxillaryCa

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m planning to apply for cards. I’ve been getting spooked out by the supposed job market. I’ve been told that cardiologists have a difficult time getting a job. If anyone has any insight or just words of encouragement, I’d definitely appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

I’m planning to apply for cards. I’ve been getting spooked out by the supposed job market. I’ve been told that cardiologists have a difficult time getting a job. If anyone has any insight or just words of encouragement, I’d definitely appreciate it.
Couple things that worked out well for me in my recent job search.

1) The right job is the job you want and not the job people tell you, you should seek. I did get push to really go for an academic job to stay "relevant." It was tempting to seek things with "prestige", but most of those jobs grossly underpaid and were geographically very limited. I chose a hybrid job which gives me a good balance of both worlds.

2) With what was said in 1, there is no perfect job. If you find two of the three listed below, it not a bad place to start.
- Work/life balance & the actual job (is it what you want to do)

3) Know what you're worth and go get it. I was told a range of salaries in the area and its sad that physicians don't know what others are earning so when they are being underpaid, they don't know. Really do your research and don't be afraid to ask your peers a range of what they were offered.

4) Make sure you look at jobs working for a private group vs being an hospital employee. See the differences. Most places seem to favor docs working for a private group (you will have much more control)

In the end, the market is tough only because there are no perfect jobs but the jobs are out there. Don't be married to a single idea of what your job should be and be open to hearing what places have to offer. Figure out whats most important to you and hopefully you will find what you are looking for.

Reactions: 1 user
general cards and heart failure are red hot, you can go anywhere to just about any system today. i got my job basically cold emailing hospital systems and heard back from 5 out of 7 and interviewed at 4. Had job offers from all 4 within a couple weeks. This is for general cards.

interventional and EP are going to be more limited, but both IC fellows got jobs in places they wanted.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know who told you that but cardiology isn't a terribly tight market, especially gen cards and especially in less desirable areas. Maybe covid tightened hiring for a little bit but there are jobs out there. Small sample size but I don't know any new grad who didn't find a job.

It’s like dating, good ones are always competitive to get. But most people end up finding one to settle.

Reactions: 1 users
It’s the best job market I’ve seen in 10+ years in my region. You’ll be fine.

It’s like dating, good ones are always competitive to get. But most people end up finding one to settle.

its like parking spots, the good ones are already taken and the rest are handicapped

Reactions: 1 users