Cardiology Fellow Study Strategy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RickyJohnson

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Getting over saturated with resources. Want to know from other people what is a good study resource or plan, that is good for the clinical part and for board prep at the same time.

please discuss

Members don't see this ad.

acc/aha guidelines are a good start for general cardiology
i liked kern/grossman for cath, otto/oh or feigenbaum for echo (pick one), loved the university of toronto website for TEE simulation, okeefe for ekgs and ultimately braunwald for all the minutiae not covered elsewhere
good luck

Hey Guys,

Getting over saturated with resources. Want to know from other people what is a good study resource or plan, that is good for the clinical part and for board prep at the same time.

please discuss

for board prep and in training exam purposes, I think Mayo clinic videos (find them in youtube) and ACCSAP questions are good enough. Board vitals has 1400 questions. You can find pdfs of Braunwald, Cleveland clinic and Mayo questions (though old) online.

for general clinical knowledge there is quite a few ones which I think all fellows should get through at some point in their fellowship:
General - I made sure to read through all 29 acc/aha guidelines found at acc.org/guidelines (knowing class 1 and class 3 indications are key for boards). I usually read the guideline that was pertinent to the rotation I was in. Esoteric ones like congenital were read on my downtime months. By end of year 1, it would be wise to have read through all of them at least to know the indications

EKG - for sure O'keefe is the only book I read. Unless you're going into EP, I'm not sure if doing more is needed
Cath - Kern's cath handbook is a good intro. ECG source subscription has about 22 cath cases to get ready for boards.
Echo - I started off reading Oh for an overview. For boards, read through the ASE guidelines and review books by Kline and Pai are good. Board vitals subscription (which can be obtained for free if you're at a VA) has about 500 questions. Agree w/ online TEE simulation websites
EP - Murgatroyd first and Fogoros second is a good start for general fellows. The rest (Chou, Hayes, etc are mostly for EP fellows)
Nuc - Iskandarian's book + board vitals has several hundred practice questions
CT - Hopkins CT course
MRI - Cardiovascular MRI in Practice: A Teaching File Approach
Advanced heart failure - knowing institution specific protocols and review articles on LVAD, heart failure management

Strategy: just reading through won't help as you'll gloss over a lot stuff and it won't stick. Making online flashcards via many free available websites would be quite helpful if that's how you retain info. Otherwise, having a list of specific questions/topics and trying to use active recall to see if you really know the stuff is key. Being familiar with info is quite different that actually knowing it. For example, I made a list of key questions/topics and ideas as I was reading thru and would go back to see if I can actually list things out on a plain piece of paper w/o any help