cardiology application basics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cardio_doc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone,

just wanted to know the basics for applying cardiology fellowship-

interview period which month to which month
do we need to schedule interviews during vacation or some programs can give dates off for interviews
number of application required
ideal time for application
methods to enhance CV-LOR, research/publication,
i think this basic info will be a good start for beginners

well good luck

Members don't see this ad.

cardio_doc said:
just wanted to know the basics for applying cardiology fellowship-

interview period which month to which month
do we need to schedule interviews during vacation or some programs can give dates off for interviews
number of application required
ideal time for application
methods to enhance CV-LOR, research/publication,

i'll take a stab at it but would appreciate input from others who have undergone the fellowship process on this forum.

1. interview period which month to which month

my earliest interview last year was 2/28, my latest in mid-april. most interviews were concentrated in march/april. i think the range runs from late february to the end of april. check out http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Cardiology_Fellowship/ for more info on this year's interview dates.

2. i scheduled my vacation during interview season for maximum flexibility. at our program we were also asked during scheduling when our interview season would be, and electives were scheduled during the season. at some programs there is an internal coverage system where cards applicants will cover for GI interviews early in the year, and the GIs will pay them back during Cards interview season. at cleveland clinic, I believe, applicants are allowed a certain number of days off for fellowship interviews, no questions asked, coverage arranged. at other programs no coverage is available. i would recommend scheduling vacation and non-call months during march/april. also I would recommend making friends with nice people in your program who will cover for you. ideally they would be nice and forgetful, so they won't remember you have to pay them back.

3. the number of applications required is nebulous. the goal is to match, so the ideal number of applications would be the number required to match. this could be one application if your family endowed your institution's fellowship program or if you pwned Nature. i applied to 14 programs; that was probably too few but I got lucky. other people I know applied to 40. the estimate I heard on the trail was that if one receives 6 interviews one should match. this rule is not hard and fast - I know one applicant who received 10 interviews and didn't match. based on this, if I were an average applicant I would apply to ~30 places. if below average > 40. if above average/guaranteed slot at home institution 20 or less.

4. ideal time for application is easier. just check the nrmp site for the cards programs and their application deadlines. with ERAS, applying has become much easier. when I applied the earliest deadline was early december and the latest sometime in january. I do not know how things have changed with ERAS. note that there are still some programs not on ERAS and their deadlines may differ.

5. great, save the hardest question for last. I would search this forum for other threads that have detailed ways to improve one's cards app. briefly, a.residency reputation, b.LOR and c.research are the most important attributes.

a. presumably the first is something you can't change at this point unless you bribe US News.

b. strong LOR are obtained by writing papers or researching with faculty members as well as shining during clinical rotations. do _not_ discount the latter. the bigger the name, the better the letter. essentially you are looking for written support of your brilliance from someone well known and respected in the field of cardiology. thus your mom, while undoubtedly in your corner, would not be a good choice to write your LOR. the gruff cards chairman, though scary, will aid your application more than someone who is well meaning but less well known.

c. research is necessary. whether it be a case report, a review article or a chapter in a throwaway book, write _something_. situate your research in relation to your envisioned career in cardiology. in cards, unlike residency, it's a good idea to have a well formulated plan for your career. 'maybe academics, maybe private practice' is not going to cut it as an answer. also, when they ask, you're always interested in research, even if you're really not.

d. one more point. your best chance to match is at your home institution, unless they are known for not taking their own (USC, etc). so if you're not in residency yet but interested in cards, think about this when formulating your match list. it can take a lot of pressure off during the fellowship application process if you're one of the top residents at an institution known for taking their own.

that's all i have for now.

p diddy