Cardiology 7am-5pm?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drboris

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to be a cardiologist and not work crazy hours with horrible call? If I want to make less than the average cardiologist (I'm fine with 200k), would I be able see less pts in a day, and stop working at 4 or 5pm everyday?

Just curious, and hoping that someone does this or that someone knows someone that does this. I like cardio but want to work to live, not live to work.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

drboris said:
Is it possible to be a cardiologist and not work crazy hours with horrible call? If I want to make less than the average cardiologist (I'm fine with 200k), would I be able see less pts in a day, and stop working at 4 or 5pm everyday?

Just curious, and hoping that someone does this or that someone knows someone that does this. I like cardio but want to work to live, not live to work.

Thanks!

Definitely very possible. If you choose not to do interventional cards, you can have a lot of freedom with your schedule, whether it's in academics or private practice. If you join a group practice and work as a diagnostic cardiologist, you'll see clinic patients, read echos, etc., but avoid the middle of the night caths.

drboris said:

Thanks!

Oh definitely. My father goes and sees a cardiologist in private practice who works 8-5 Mon-Fri and occasional Sat. and Sun. and he makes awesome money. By the way his practice is in Green Bay, WI.

Members don't see this ad :)
Uhhh, no. A 9-5 cardiologist is a semi-retired cardiologist. I have cardiologists in my family... they work long long hours.

bts4202 said:
Uhhh, no. A 9-5 cardiologist is a semi-retired cardiologist. I have cardiologists in my family... they work long long hours.

And every cardiologist in the country must work the same hours as the ones in your family. :rolleyes:

Cards has tons of career options, whether it's in academics, private practice, subspecialty (e.g. EP), etc. If you really love the pathophysiology, I say go for it and just plan not to do interventional.

Tar Heel Born said:
And every cardiologist in the country must work the same hours as the ones in your family. :rolleyes:

Cards has tons of career options, whether it's in academics, private practice, subspecialty (e.g. EP), etc. If you really love the pathophysiology, I say go for it and just plan not to do interventional.

ehhh, rotate with a couple cardiologists in your 4th year of school.. see what you think then.

I am currently working with a cardiologist for a 4th year rotation. He works 9-5 and does interventional work. He is on call one night per week and one weekend per month. Like others have said, you can make what you want of your career. Some cardiologists see office patients only, some do interventional, some work 80 hrs per week...it all depends on the type of practice you want.

bts4202 said:
ehhh, rotate with a couple cardiologists in your 4th year of school.. see what you think then.

I've spent time with several. And you're making my point for me. You can't extrapolate the lifestyle of a few cardiologists that you've worked with to the entire field. Medicine is more complicated than that these days, and it's not necessarily true that a cardiologist works 80+ hour weeks. Or even 60+.

Any schedule is possible if you're willing to take a salary cut, but cardiology is clearly not a lifestyle specialty. You're often taking care of critically ill patients in an ICU setting, spending sig. time doing procedures, and also seeing clinic patients for f/u or referrals. In many ways, the same sorts of activities as a surgeon. The average cardiologist works a lot harder than 9-5, especially those making the ridiculous salaries you hear about. Clearly can't generalize, but my dad is a non-invasive cardiologist, has been in practice ~30 yrs, and still works 60+ hour weeks.

Tar Heel Born said:
I've spent time with several. And you're making my point for me. You can't extrapolate the lifestyle of a few cardiologists that you've worked with to the entire field. Medicine is more complicated than that these days, and it's not necessarily true that a cardiologist works 80+ hour weeks. Or even 60+.

isn't that exactley what you are doing?

Of course there is the occasional cardiologist who does very little ... and his compensation is generally representative of those efforts (I do know one like that). But the point is that most do not have the 9-5 lifestyle and if you wish to make the money "promised" by cardiology, you will have be more than a daytime consultant.

Not that your opinion of me really matters, but I do know many many cardiologists since I also used to run 2 nuclear cardiology labs (one office and one hospital) and also worked in an interventional cath lab for a year before med school.

bts4202 said:
isn't that exactley what you are doing?

Sorry if I was misunderstood. What I intended to communicate was that although I've worked with several cardiologists, I understand that the range of career possibilities available includes a much broader range than what I've seen and experienced.

Of course most cardiologists work long hours and have stressful lifestyles. I think the original poster understands that. His/Her question was, "Is it possible to be a cardiologist and not work crazy hours with horrible call?" He/She even provided the qualification that less money would be acceptable. I think the answer to that question is definitely "Yes, it is possible."

Tar Heel Born said:
Sorry if I was misunderstood. What I intended to communicate was that although I've worked with several cardiologists, I understand that the range of career possibilities available includes a much broader range than what I've seen and experienced.

Of course most cardiologists work long hours and have stressful lifestyles. I think the original poster understands that. His/Her question was, "Is it possible to be a cardiologist and not work crazy hours with horrible call?" He/She even provided the qualification that less money would be acceptable. I think the answer to that question is definitely "Yes, it is possible."

You can find helpfull information regarding cardiology trends, market averages and practice stats at www.practicedirectory.com

cardioman said:
You can find helpfull information regarding cardiology trends, market averages and practice stats at www.practicedirectory.com
I'm IM resident interested in cardio and have done some rotations and researches with cardio guys. I think that's true that there is a wide range of options but on average they work more than others, esp those who are ambitious and want to be known in their private practice or be a good academic cardiologist. I know many of them who work too much and have little time for family. But it is a fascinating field with a lot of interesting science behind it.

bts4202 said:
But the point is that most do not have the 9-5 lifestyle and if you wish to make the money "promised" by cardiology, you will have be more than a daytime consultant.

You can't be a daytime consultant in medicine period unless you are talking about Derm, A/I, psych, rheum, PM&R and pathology. Even family medicine physicians take call on occassion. A non-interventional cardiologist can have a very normal 9-5 schedule with little call provided he or she has joined a large group. It's very misleading to suggest that all cardiologists will endure a difficult lifestyle simply because he or she is in cardiology. There is a huge difference in lifestyle between an interventionalist and a non-interventionalist. And almost all cardiology graduates join large groups unless they have decided to work in a small town in which a group may only consist of one or two other cardiologists.

guys,

what's the difference between interventional and non-interventional cardiology in terms of procedures, hours, patient population, and salary? thanks

square

One time, while volunteering in the ER, a man came in with cardiac arrest.
I listened to the ER attending call in the cardiologist for an emergency pace maker to be put in.

The ER doc basically said that although he'd done a ton of them in the past, he's prefer the cardiologist come in to do it. So, the cardio came in and finished up (the ER doc started because it was taking time for the cardio to make it to the hospital) the procedure.

I take it this was an interventional guy?? And is this a typical scenario of what you guys are talking about regarding them being on call a lot.

I remember the cardiologist coming in (it was like 12am), and his shirt was kind of wrinkly and you could tell he was probably sleeping when he got the call.

What other scenarios might an interventional guy need to do (other than in the ER)??

i believe an cardiac electrophysiologist not an interventionalist deals with arrythmias and inserts pacemakers

spyyder said:
i believe an cardiac electrophysiologist not an interventionalist deals with arrythmias and inserts pacemakers

What you're describing sounds like a TVP (transvenous pacemaker), a temporary pacing device inserted by ER docs or cardiologists to treat life-threatening bradyarrythmias, etc. Permanent pacemakers are surgically implanted, typically by a cardiologist who specializes in electrophysiology. The term "interventional cardiology" usually means cardiac catheterization.

not neccesarily. I know quite a few general cardiologists who insert pacers (temp and perm). It doesn't have to an EP person.