Cardiology 2009-2010 application thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
IV from University of Kansan and UCSF, Fresno.....

Members don't see this ad.

rej BI Deaconess, arkansas, baylor-dallas

Members don't see this ad :)
So.... Northwestern, Baylor-Dallas and UCSF all sent me rejections... TWICE! HA! I thought I was a good applicant... guess not... :laugh:

But seriously, they really should be better organized....

Guys, Brace yourself. Next 3 weeks are crucial.:)

Hey Folks,

Anybody is in same shoes? Applied to 32 programs including all west coast. Did not get any IV? I am FMG. Please share your views
icon9.gif

Does anyone know how many interviews, on average, one should try to do to match in cardiology?

IV SUNY-stonybrook today

Does anyone know how many interviews, on average, one should try to do to match in cardiology?

IV SUNY-stonybrook today

As many as reasonable for your schedule, but once you hit 7, your chances are better for matching.

If you're an MD applying to a fellowship program whose program director is a DO, is there still chance you can match there? I'm wondering if they favor only DO residents.

Febuary has been RE month, RE from UVA yesterday, UMDMJ cooper......:scared::(

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're an MD applying to a fellowship program whose program director is a DO, is there still chance you can match there? I'm wondering if they favor only DO residents.

Just take a look at their website and find a list of their current fellows and see whether they are MD or DO.

I am currently working as research coordinator for some studies by a cardiologist after my residency. This cardiology atending is involved with many projects and I am helping with many projects. I was able to be part of two abstracts in the past 10 months. With such "great luck" with interveiws, I feel that I did a great mistake of joining this research guy. I was rejected by own program, where I do the research. I feel really sad and I wanted to share this info with rest of the people who are in the same boat. Have you or have you seen anyone in the same situation as I am. My biggest concern is what to do for the next year? Is it exploitation that we like Cardiology and ready to work even with such a low stipend. Any thoughts on this matter is highly appreciated. How many years of "research".

Last edited:
I am currently working as research coordinator for some studies by a cardiologist after my residency. This cardiology atending is involved with many projects and I am helping with many projects. I was able to be part of two abstracts in the past 10 months. With such "great luck" with interveiws, I feel that I did a great mistake of joining this research guy. I was rejected by own program, where I do the research. I feel really sad and I wanted to share this info with rest of the people who are in the same boat. Have you or have you seen anyone in the same situation as I am. My biggest concern is what to do for the next year? Is it exploitation that we like Cardiology and ready to work even with such a low stipend. Any thoughts on this matter is highly appreciated. How many years of "research".

Hi KZDOC...Sorry to hear your situation...I have seen people abusing residents to do their work and finally not puttting in a word as one would expect! I guess 'Luck' really plays a role..Good mentor, their influence in the program -- All matters!!! Once we have decided on Cardiology --- few faculties utilize our desperation for their success.....Life is not fair all the time!!!

I concur with above statement. I have been doing research for last 4 yrs, even while doing residency. Cardiologist I am working with is very well known Cardiologist and works in one of the best west coast university. I got 2 ACC abstracts , some more are coming up. Did not get even a single IV. Now I am enforced to think what kind of letter I got from him? May be he did not put his words with great enthusiasm? What else it could be? When he write papers, acceptance rate is 100% then also I did not get IV. I am really frustrated at this point.

I have received couple of rejections saying,"....................but we will keep your application....." , ".......notify if the situation changes."
Has anyone of you received such mails and what does it mean?:confused::confused::confused::confused:
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
A bad start to a month:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
It is getting scary. Compare to last year applicants, we seem to have much lower number of IV. Did cardiology program shrink down the quota after expansion in the last year? Just like U of IOWA? :confused:

It is getting scary. Compare to last year applicants, we seem to have much lower number of IV. Did cardiology program shrink down the quota after expansion in the last year? Just like U of IOWA? :confused:
I am thinking the same- I atleast expected a few Interviews. Seems like last year was generally pretty good....I am scared as hell:scared:

Anyone hear from Beaumont?

hi psychic was that through email or snail mail?

Thanks psychic...One more question though, is this the main Monte or the affiliate?
Thanks.

Thanks psychic...One more question though, is this the main Monte or the affiliate?
Thanks.

It is from MMC-BLHC program....Keeping my finger crossed for the main one:scared::scared:
Is there any issue with MMC-BLHC?...... just curious.I know that the workload is much lighter in this one coz you don't take call at MMC and you will have much more time for research ,if you are interested.

No issue that I know of. The main one i heard can be pretty rough in terms of work load. They work you pretty hard in your 1st year but the work is front loaded, so the subsequent years are a little easier.
Good luck to you.

NYU sent out invites weeks ago.

IV from Drexel today

Beaumont sent out interviews today.

Anyone hear from Wayne State?

Cedars Sinai sent out some invites about a week ago.

Thanks Cardiolipin. I got an interview there but I don't know too much about the program itself. Heard it was an OK program but don't know anyone who's trained there or interviewed there.

Cedars Sinai is probably one of the best clinical training programs for cards in the country. The Swan Ganz catheter was invented there (Dr. Swan and Ganz of course). It has great clinical numbers and just built a new heart center. Awesome interventional cards stuff going on there (percutaneous aortic valve replacement).

Cedars Sinai is probably one of the best clinical training programs for cards in the country. The Swan Ganz catheter was invented there (Dr. Swan and Ganz of course). It has great clinical numbers and just built a new heart center. Awesome interventional cards stuff going on there (percutaneous aortic valve replacement).

I interviewed there last year. Cleary their clinical volume is super high; but I am not sure how good the academic mentoring there is. I got the sense that the big shots in cardiology there tended to work within their own research groups and not mentor fellows for research careers. They have been acquiring faculty in cardiology from other places; so things might have changed. Its an outstanding program for private practice though...

Anyone heard from USC, UT Houston/Galveston/San Antonio?

has anyone heard from St. Luke's-Roosevelt or other community programs in NY?

Still waiting for St. Luke's Roosevelt, St. Vincents and Lenox Hill in NYC. Also waiting for RWJ and UMDNJ-Neward in NJ. Anyone heard from these places?

Still waiting for St. Luke's Roosevelt, St. Vincents and Lenox Hill in NYC. Also waiting for RWJ and UMDNJ-Neward in NJ. Anyone heard from these places?

St. Vincent's is closing down and not having residency/fellowship programs any longer.

does anyone know about the cardiology program at drexel ? is it good ?

Ill tell you all who ive heard from and havent heard from. Im concerned now if I havent heard from places this late in the game its a defacto NO but can someone confirm if there are still chances theyll invite?

Heard from: UConn, ClevClinic, IU, At vincent, SLU, WashU, Mt Sinai, OHSU, Vanderbilt (some IV < some rejects)

Havent heard from: Mayo AZ, Scripps, Christiana, Miami, Mt Sinai FL, UF, UKansas, Louisville, UMKC, UNC, Einstein, NYMC, LIJ, Vermont

Again, this late in the year does this mean no or still wait for invites/rejections?

Thanks

It seems some programs still have spots available, and some haven't sent out any invites. For example, Scripps has said they are not sending any out until late March. Today I just heard from a very reliable source that NYU has sent out some invites but still has a bunch of spots available. To keep the discussion going:

Invites:
Cleveland Clinic
Wash U
Mt Sinai
Beth Israel
Lenox Hill
Drexel
Georgetown
UNC
Miami
Ohio State
UCSD
Cedars Sinai
Brown

Rejects
Penn
Columbia
GW
Duke
U Chicago
NW
Colorado
UCLA
UCSF
Emory
Pitt

Haven't heard
Cornell
NYU
Stanford
Loyola
Jefferson
Scripps
Einstein
Yale

Ill tell you all who ive heard from and havent heard from. Im concerned now if I havent heard from places this late in the game its a defacto NO but can someone confirm if there are still chances theyll invite?

Heard from: UConn, ClevClinic, IU, At vincent, SLU, WashU, Mt Sinai, OHSU, Vanderbilt (some IV < some rejects)

Havent heard from: Mayo AZ, Scripps, Christiana, Miami, Mt Sinai FL, UF, UKansas, Louisville, UMKC, UNC, Einstein, NYMC, LIJ, Vermont

Again, this late in the year does this mean no or still wait for invites/rejections?

Thanks

Interview Yesterday: Mayo Rochester
Interviews:
UW
OHSU
UCSF
Stanford
Kaiser SF
UC Davis
Colorado
Michigan
Minnesota