Canadians applying to OMFS in the states, where art thou?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TherealnorthOMFS

OMFS resident
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to create a thread to bring together Canadians that are currently applying or will be applying in the next cycle to oral surge residency in the states. This has been an extremely difficult time for us. It feels like no matter how much we prove our competence, odds are stacked up against us. Below you can share your current experience/struggles, programs that are taking our kind, and other relevant information regarding apps/CBSE etc. #werallgonnamakeitbrahs

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I wanted to create a thread to bring together Canadians that are currently applying or will be applying in the next cycle to oral surge residency in the states. This has been an extremely difficult time for us. It feels like no matter how much we prove our competence, odds are stacked up against us. Below you can share your current experience/struggles, programs that are taking our kind, and other relevant information regarding apps/CBSE etc. #werallgonnamakeitbrahs
If you really wanted to attend an OMFS program in the US, you should have done your Dental School in the US. Even if you did that though, Canadians are automatically ineligible at a lot of programs, simply because you're not a US Citizen.

It makes sense that Canadians are favored second to US citizens. US citizens (and their families), such as myself, have paid taxes in the US, which is what funds the stipend that will be paid to an OMFS resident. Stipends are funded by the US government and the US government is funded by US citizen taxpayers.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Wow
If you really wanted to attend an OMFS program in the US, you should have done your Dental School in the US. Even if you did that though, Canadians are automatically ineligible at a lot of programs, simply because you're not a US Citizen.

It makes sense that Canadians are favored second to US citizens. US citizens (and their families), such as myself, have paid taxes in the US, which is what funds the stipend that will be paid to an OMFS resident. Stipends are funded by the US government and the US government is funded by US citizen taxpayers.
Yes. And given those barriers, he’s trying to get a group of people together to find programs and develop strategies that will help them get in. Not sure what you’re saying here.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you really wanted to attend an OMFS program in the US, you should have done your Dental School in the US. Canadians are automatically ineligible at a lot of programs, simply because you're not a US Citizen.

no need to be bitter my brother. Doing dental school in the US does not grant me a permanent residency or Citizenship so for the programs who don't take non-US citizens/permanent residents it will make no difference. The reason this year was particularly bad is primarily due to travel restriction and VISA scares from program directors at programs that historically take Canadian students. As for stipends, residents are providing tremendous service to benefit those very citizens that paid their taxes. All love homie and best of luck in the future!

Reactions: 3 users
Do an intern year at a program that has a 4 year program. If you score well on the CBSE and you don't screw up your intern year you're usually pretty much guaranteed a spot.

Canadian OMFS applicant here at a US Dental School. Absolutely no benefit application wise. Maybe it takes them a minute to realize just by looking at your CV? But it's clear on the application you are not a US citizen/permanent resident.
In my experience, programs who have had Canadian residents in the past seem pretty unfazed by it so I don't necessarily think the odds are AS stacked against you at those programs as it might seem when looking broadly at your options.
Still blows though.

Do an intern year at a program that has a 4 year program. If you score well on the CBSE and you don't screw up your intern year you're usually pretty much guaranteed a spot.
Hey,

How does one go about doing an intern year? Would that be the 1-year OMFS internship that some schools offer?

Also a canadian student applying this cycle man. We can chat further about this whole processs

Also a canadian student applying this cycle man. We can chat further about this whole processs
you can hit me up, I'll be giving the CBSE another shot this July and will be on the road throughout august for externships.

Reactions: 2 users
How did it go? did you ever get into an American OMFS residency (or internship) program?

Canadian OMFS applicant here at a US Dental School. Absolutely no benefit application wise. Maybe it takes them a minute to realize just by looking at your CV? But it's clear on the application you are not a US citizen/permanent resident.
In my experience, programs who have had Canadian residents in the past seem pretty unfazed by it so I don't necessarily think the odds are AS stacked against you at those programs as it might seem when looking broadly at your options.
Still blows though.
Hi! Could you share which programs that you know of take Canadians that graduated from Canadian dental schools into American OMFS residency (and/or internship) programs?

im a PGY2 right now in a southern program. look up each program and see if they take Canadians. if I remember, there was a website that you can search programs, things have probably changed since I applied. But there are plenty opportunities for qualified applicants.