Can you change Residency after 1st year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tsa723

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible and how bad would it be to change residency after PGY1?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, but its hard.

-You have to find a program which can be difficult
-You have to get your current director to agree which can be harder than you'd think ie. they have to release you
-I suppose its technically possible your old director could call your new director and tell them you are garbage
-Your old director can sabotage you - for example by refusing to approve your logs.
-In the future when you seek priviliges at hospitals they may contact everywhere you've worked so your old director may still be in your life.

When I was a resident the ratio of residents to programs was essentially ~1:1 and movement was probably fairly limited. There was a brief period a few years ago where jokingly it seemed like there were 50-100 unfilled spots across the country. No idea what the future will hold.

We are now living in a world where no one wants to go to podiatry (yay, open spots), but new schools are opening (boo) without creating residency spots. We'll see going forward how these 2 things balance each other out.

The later you do this - probably the harder it will be. I'm skeptical anyone wants a new resident they don't know to show up and be the 3rd year. Theoretically 3rd years have their attendings trust. Earning trust is hopefully how you get to do the bigger cases / be more involved (do something besides close).

You are also going to be dealing with issues where by transferring you may have done or not done certain off service rotations.

Reactions: 1 user
It's not overly difficult; I've heard of multiple individuals making transfers. Just ensure that your logs are endorsed by PD before formally informing, as they might react negatively and withhold approval of the logs. In general, no employer will be pleased that you're leaving “transferring”. Several programs/hospitals use resident as very cheap labor, why would they be happy you left ? Ultimately, prioritize your training and do what benefits you and your future patients the most. Transfer for a better programs, that’s it.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
It's definitely doable and common nowadays. In terms of how "bad" it will be, it really comes down to the "why" you are transferring. If you are transferring into a better program or have legitimate family issues, this is typically well accepted. If you are transferring due to poor performance, this can be problematic cause, the 1st resident director can be involved in all your future credentialing.

As states above, the 1st director does have the power to control whether you can leave. They must release you in order for you to transfer and they will talk to any program you wish to join.

I know someone on here who did it successfully and he is a RVU god now.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
You can and it is possible. But it is hard.

Really depends how vindictive your program director is. There is nothing they can do to stop you but they can certainly screw you over. They could "fire" you which means you would have to report being fired from a residency program for the rest of your life on forms for state licensure and getting hospital privileges. Is that legal? No. But it can happen.

As mentioned above this program director will forever be in your professional life. You will need them to sign off on logs, hospital privileges, licensing, etc. They could ruin you if they wanted. Again is this legal? No. But it can happen.

I doubt the program director would be so petty but this is podiatry after all.

If you are going to transfer only transfer for better training opportunities.

Reactions: 1 users