Depressed and wanting to change careers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That’s because no one knows how to use it. A CRNA worked me through the process. Then Biden’s tweak counted residency.

Yes exactly, people get confused or just don’t understand the process. It’s the government so expect a clunky system but spend the time to figure it out, it’ll save you a ton of money.
You just certify your months every year through your employer. You have to stay on top of it, maybe spending like 1 hour a year doing so.
It can be done, and pods have had them forgiven through this program.

I have some friends who don’t think it’ll work, so in 54 months I’ll report back lol. But right now I have over half my time certified and approved.
Even if it doesn’t go thru for some reason, I will have spent less than 20 hours total of my life on this process over the span of 1 years, I’ll take my chances in order to pay off or get that debt forgiven.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Fixed an achilles tendon today.

Preop right before I was ready to take patient back I asked the patient "are there were any final questions before we go back?"

"Yeah, when were done here remind me to make an appointment so you can clip my toenails every 2 months"

I just sighed and did the case with an empty feeling in my heart.

Luckily prone so I didnt have to stare at those crumblies the whole case as a brutal reminder.

Lol this is hilarious and made my day

Yes exactly, people get confused or just don’t understand the process. It’s the government so expect a clunky system but spend the time to figure it out, it’ll save you a ton of money.
You just certify your months every year through your employer. You have to stay on top of it, maybe spending like 1 hour a year doing so.
It can be done, and pods have had them forgiven through this program.

I have some friends who don’t think it’ll work, so in 54 months I’ll report back lol. But right now I have over half my time certified and approved.
Even if it doesn’t go thru for some reason, I will have spent less than 20 hours total of my life on this process over the span of 1 years, I’ll take my chances in order to pay off or get that debt forgiven.
Yup. I did it twice a year once I figured it out. Both of my jobs before my current one just certified it. They didn’t care if employees were doing it and it was not part of their recruitment. My current job actively sends emails to remind people to get certified for PSLF and the union does as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you gotten loan forgiveness yet?

I am a believer that it’ll work for me, and I can’t wait. It also has been nice for the past few years with the student loan pause going on

Have you gotten loan forgiveness yet?

I am a believer that it’ll work for me, and I can’t wait. It also has been nice for the past few years with the student loan pause going on
Loan pause has been the best. I’ve saved more money just from having everything paused than the 10k that is being argued about being forgiven

Reactions: 4 users
Well whatever everyone’s plan of attack is for pod loans, get ready for them to restart later this summer.
Looks like the emergency period is over and it’ll be time to pay the piper again.

I really wish they could just lower the interest rates (which if they can make fed fund rates nothing then the gov can do the same with student loan rates). Most students (not just talking med school) pay 6-7%, and really it doesn’t take that much to manage a student loan. These loans should be 1-2% max. The gov shouldn’t be in biz of making money off of students like this. Most got into this debt before they were even 21. But a low interest rate like this would make it so borrowers have to pay back loans they took out, but they aren’t taking it in the shorts either with high interest rates.
I don’t believe student debt forgiveness is the way. Make people accountable by making the interest very low. They took it out for education, atleast don’t stick them with high interest. I am talking very broad here not just pod debt btw.
Anyways, my two cents

Reactions: 4 users
Well whatever everyone’s plan of attack is for pod loans, get ready for them to restart later this summer.
Looks like the emergency period is over and it’ll be time to pay the piper again.

I really wish they could just lower the interest rates (which if they can make fed fund rates nothing then the gov can do the same with student loan rates). Most students (not just talking med school) pay 6-7%, and really it doesn’t take that much to manage a student loan. These loans should be 1-2% max. The gov shouldn’t be in biz of making money off of students like this. Most got into this debt before they were even 21. But a low interest rate like this would make it so borrowers have to pay back loans they took out, but they aren’t taking it in the shorts either with high interest rates.
I don’t believe student debt forgiveness is the way. Make people accountable by making the interest very low. They took it out for education, atleast don’t stick them with high interest. I am talking very broad here not just pod debt btw.
Anyways, my two cents
Soooooooo. You should read up on how the interest rate came to be the way it is. This is more for just an amusing commentary on a decade of interest rate policy and not a political discussion of what's right or wrong. There's been a lot of fluctuation and change during that time.

I do not claim to be a perfect historian but I took my first student loan out in 2006. It was for a masters and it was subsidized while I was in school and for like 6 months after. According to the internet that ended in 2012 - obviously right before I took my student loan for podiatry school.

Somewhere around there a big hubub occured in Congress where they were concerned that if interest rates went up - the government might have to borrow for student loans at higher rates than the loans were paid back at. My first year of podiatry school the loans were at like 6.8% fixed. Then they switched to something based on the 10 year Treasury + a fixed add on rate. My memory is my loans went down to like 6.1% and then 5.8% and then back up a little further.

Somewhere a few years ago - loans were so low it was unbelievable because of the underlying fixed. And presumably right now - they are horrible.

Reactions: 2 users
Did they announce this again? I dont see anything in the news. I bet Biden extends it again if congress fails to pass it. He has extended it twice now when he said he wouldnt.
Anyways, my two cents
I agree that if you borrow it you should have to pay it back. Especially on a salary like mine.

Opinion if its right or wrong aside if its 100% legal to go for PSLF and you qualify the savings can be significant and you should absolutely go for it. Government takes tons of my money. I would take any back that I could.

Did they announce this again? I dont see anything in the news. I bet Biden extends it again if congress fails to pass it. He has extended it twice now when he said he wouldnt.

I agree that if you borrow it you should have to pay it back. Especially on a salary like mine.

Opinion if its right or wrong aside if its 100% legal to go for PSLF and you qualify the savings can be significant and you should absolutely go for it. Government takes tons of my money. I would take any back that I could.
I would literally vote for anyone who says they will extend the student loan pause at this point

Reactions: 2 users