Can Cardiology be conducive to family life?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Venom

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am getting different views on this subject. One cardiologist reassured me that Cards can be conducive to a family even if you are female. Another nephrologist complained about not having a life and that cardiology is even worse!

I'm thinking cardiology can be more manageable for me as a female who wants to have a family by cutting down clinic days, doing research, and doing Non-invasive cards. Does that sound reasonable?

Also...
Does anyone know what it takes to get a cardiology fellowship--esp if you're not AOA? I am an MS III right now, is there anything I could do at this point? Maybe, a 4th year cardiology research elective? Do you have to be a chief IM resident?

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like you're getting some conflicting information from people. I would suggest talking to a few different female cardiologists and finding out what they have done to make it work, and how well they feel things have worked out as far as the work/family balance and what they would have done differently, if anything. It's always a good idea to ask those who have been there.