Can an IMG get a plastics fellowship???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HEME-ONC

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you know of any IMG's that are in plastics? I am a St. George med student with the goal of going into Plastics. Can anyone tell me how insurance plays into plastics and the avg salaries out there. Are there any fellowships in the NY area??
THanks

Members don't see this ad.

If you follow the match stats, it appears that is about 1-2 IMGs per year who match into PRS. Not very good odds...however, its always worth trying, as long as you have a back up plan because you shouldn't spend your life wondering "WHAT IF?"

There are programs in New York - check FRIEDA for futher details on specific programs.

I don't know what the numbers are, but I personally know one prs fellow who went to medical school in the Carribbean.

Members don't see this ad :)
One of my current junior residents is a Mexican national & one of the residents slated to start in 2005 is from Peurto Rico, both of whom attended medical school in their home countries. Both did general surgery @ University programs (Tulane & West Virginia) in the States, got excellent letters of recomendation, excelled on their intraining exams, & had numerous publictions on their CV and they were among the top-ranked applicants on our SFmatch rank lists in their respective years.

So yes it does happen, although it may be a slight negative when your application is reviewed. The bias against an IMG tag can be overcome by training @ a good program & excelling