CAM Program at Georgetown vs SMP at Loyola University Chicago

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fontan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
K, so I'm an idiot and I applied to Georgetown's CAM program when I meant to apply to their SMP. I also applied to Loyola's SMP program and got in. So the question is, will I benefit more from a MA at Loyola that focuses completely on Med school related courses or will I benefit from Georgetown's MS that combines Med school related courses to alternative medicine? Altho I have no interest in Alternative medicine it maybe something interesting to talk about during interviews, plus I love the idea of going to GT, because it is such an amazing school with a rich history. On the other hand I love everything science and really have no interest in alternative medicine--ie accupuncture or herbal medicine...I don't judge anyone who does have interest in these topics, but it's never appealed to me. Most importantly tho, I want to know which of these programs would make me look like a better MD school candidate--I will not be applying to any DOs (again, it's a personal preference and I have friends that are DOs, it's just not for me.)

Please help, someone as easily confused as myself needs all the help in the world!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

SMP is the only master's program that will significantly help your app.
Post some more info about your app if you want more directed advice about whether you should be doing a SMP in the first place.

My Stats are 3.5 undergrad GPA 3.67 BCPM
MCAT taken in 2006--11 10 11 Q

Extracurrivulars: board member of 2 clubs (set up lectures, volunteered at food shelters, etc), mentor, TA, environmental canvasser, chair of Church's youth group--I'm not religious but I use my position to get kids involved with community service.

Research: Cog sci lab 0.5yrs, Independent study in neuro lab 1quarter, 1yr doing cardiology research which I presented as a poster and submitted in multicenter publication. I will get no credit for the publication, the physician I worked for will.

Clinical: Worked in mom's neurology office during holidays for 8yrs, Hospital volunteer for like 6months during college, 1 summer shadowing pathologist, 1 yr shadowing cardiologist and his colleagues.

I applied to med school 2x. First time I didn't have very much clinical experience, second time I applied late and had 'non-specific' PS. I've already taken 1 yr off to gain clinical and reseach experience, while I applied to med school the second time. This year while I apply, I'm going to a 1 yr masters program. To help with PS dilemma I signed up for an essay-editing program. I've already submitted my primary ap and some secondaries.

Members don't see this ad :)
Kind of surprised you didn't get in somewhere.
Maybe it was the no clinical experience, followed by a late app.
I would think you should get some love if you apply early, broadly and to the "right" schools.

If you are going to do a program this year, I'd do the SMP.

:luck:

K, so I'm an idiot and I applied to Georgetown's CAM program when I meant to apply to their SMP. I also applied to Loyola's SMP program and got in. So the question is, will I benefit more from a MA at Loyola that focuses completely on Med school related courses or will I benefit from Georgetown's MS that combines Med school related courses to alternative medicine? Altho I have no interest in Alternative medicine it maybe something interesting to talk about during interviews, plus I love the idea of going to GT, because it is such an amazing school with a rich history. On the other hand I love everything science and really have no interest in alternative medicine--ie accupuncture or herbal medicine...I don't judge anyone who does have interest in these topics, but it's never appealed to me. Most importantly tho, I want to know which of these programs would make me look like a better MD school candidate--I will not be applying to any DOs (again, it's a personal preference and I have friends that are DOs, it's just not for me.)

Please help, someone as easily confused as myself needs all the help in the world!!!!

I'm pretty sure you will get in somewhere with your current stats and EC's. Did you receive interviews in your previous application years? Did you apply broadly enough?

Just wanted to clarify, you want to become a physician right?

Yeah the two times I applied I got interviews (3 each yr) at Albert Einstein, Penn State, 2 Suny's, UCLA and Temple. I was waitlisted at Penn, Temple and a SUNY. I apparently have bad interview skills, but I'm getting help with that too.

And yes I want to be a physician who researches and teaches. So even tho I've applied 2x already, I wanna make sure I go to a med school that can prep me for these goals.

Regardless of my bad interview skills, etc. I'm usually at the top of my classes. My GPA was actually a 3.76, with BCMP of 3.85 when I applied my forth year. But Forth year my aunt passed away from cancer so I spent a lot of that year at home...To be honest that year I didn't even want to get in because I just felt like I wanted more time to spend with my family before becoming a workaholic/ library junkie. It's not something I talk about on interviews or anything tho, cuz I don't think it's appropriate.

Yeah the two times I applied I got interviews (3 each yr) at Albert Einstein, Penn State, 2 Suny's, UCLA and Temple. I was waitlisted at Penn, Temple and a SUNY. I apparently have bad interview skills, but I'm getting help with that too.

And yes I want to be a physician who researches and teaches. So even tho I've applied 2x already, I wanna make sure I go to a med school that can prep me for these goals.

Regardless of my bad interview skills, etc. I'm usually at the top of my classes. My GPA was actually a 3.76, with BCMP of 3.85 when I applied my forth year. But Forth year my aunt passed away from cancer so I spent a lot of that year at home...To be honest that year I didn't even want to get in because I just felt like I wanted more time to spend with my family before becoming a workaholic/ library junkie. It's not something I talk about on interviews or anything tho, cuz I don't think it's appropriate.

So academic medicine? If that's the case then I can understand.

Yeah, Academic medicine is my goal. Do you think by getting a masters my chances of getting in will be significantly improved? On a scale of 1 to 5 (1 being not at all, 5 yes and you will be getting into Stanford =P )

Yeah, Academic medicine is my goal. Do you think by getting a masters my chances of getting in will be significantly improved? On a scale of 1 to 5 (1 being not at all, 5 yes and you will be getting into Stanford =P )

I don't really think a masters would help you significantly. So if you want a numerical answer, probably like a 1.5. It's probably better to have alot of meaningful research. We're talking about Stanford, right?

But who knows, I didn't go to Stanford as an undergrad and won't be going there for med school (didn't even apply there).

How are you getting help with your interview skills?

An SMP will help your chances of getting in, if you do well in it. You sound like that won't be an issue for you, that you'll do fine academically. However, if you're already getting interviews at all those schools, which are all pretty good places to be, then I'm not convinced it's worth the time, energy, lack of income, and $30,000 for the extra letters after your name. I would think working, and focusing on your interviewing and social skills, would be a cheaper, more relaxing, and more interesting alternative. Best of luck!