California Licensing PTL questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

argama

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This may sound dumb but I did not start my PTL application until now...I'm a PGY1 in CA.

Couple of Questions:

1. Step 3: I plan on taking it in June. Obviously cannot take it sooner due to COVID..I think I can still apply for PTL but will I still be issued a PTL if I do not have Step 3 passed/taken by submission of documents?

2. Probation: does this apply to academic probation in medical school (placed briefly on it during med school) or does this only apply to probation in residency?

3. How long does it take for livescan? There are a couple facilities near where I live that still do livescan despite the coronavirus. Does the facility send the results to the CA Medical Board?

4. Timeline of Activities: Ok there are no gaps in my training but it's been 10 months since graduation so I have to complete this form. What do I write in the TOA..."___ Resident 6/2019-present"?

5. Transcript, Diploma, Certificate of Medical Education form: Due to coronavirus, I'm not sure my medical school will be able to sign that last form, as everyone in the registrar office is working from home. I will email my medical school but the registrar office is not working at my medical school. Any suggestions?

Thanks everyone

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Above all, I'd realize that you have only 3 years to obtain full CA license; you will not be able to continue residency in CA if you do not. The caveat is that 2 of those 3 years have to be within the SAME program. This has caused me so much pain over the past several months. Just spreading the word.