Applying to California Programs Before PTL certification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wanderer HitchHiker

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! An IMG here, not sure if this will be relevant to this post's question so thought to mention it anyway. I am interested in applying to a couple of programs in California and I can see on their websites they require PTL in ERAS application (Dunno how/where to include it in ERAS - may be certifications or license part?). I can start the PTL application process now but I am not sure if Cal's programs will not consider reviewing the application or granting interviews unless you have the certification already available by the time of application/review. As far as I understand, it's merely a paperwork process so it should be ok and one would just need to have it before starting training in July.

Please, correct me If I am wrong; any additional thoughts or inputs are cordially appreciated too.

Members don't see this ad.

It's confusing.

Currently in Cali, you need to get a PTL which is their version of a "training license". You can't get one until you're actually accepted into a Cali training program, and you have 6 months from when you start to get it. (because of COVID they have extended deadlines). So you don't need anything in your app, there's nothing to submit, and you won't need it by July -- at a minimum you'll have until Dec 2022.

What's really confusing is that before this process, Cali had a different requirement called a PTAL. That was a letter you needed from Cali proving that you qualified for training there, you needed it as part of your application, and you'd upload it as one of your LOR's. But that process was abandoned. I expect some have not updated their websites, but the PTAL is a thing of the past.

I'm not in Cali, so if others can chime in to confirm that would be helpful.

Reactions: 1 users
very interesting and I am now even more confused! I planned to email the programs anyway. Thanks!