Residency Licensing Logistics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

happyharryhenry

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
State medical board reprimanded training license after dismissal from program. If an unrestricted license is sought out but the board decides to restrict, place on a probationary period, etc. does this make one ineligible for a residency program? Are the options for a residency position a training license or a unrestricted full license only? Better to not attempt to get an unrestricted license and try to get another residency position under a training license?

The question of wether a second chance is available is a whole other question but hoping to gain some insight

I suspect there’s not one straight answer for every state but there are states that will issue a restricted full license that essentially limits you to only practicing under someone else’s license (I.e training environment) for a proscribed time period.

At that point I guess the question is “is that worth applying and getting a restricted full license vs just getting a training license”

Yes have done that, but the laws don’t outline this situation explicitly in terms of another program and being “eligible.” Is it against acgme to enter a program with a restricted license?
If you get into a second residency program, your license would again be a training license tied to your time at that residency.
I don't believe you can apply for an unrestricted license but I don't know how many years you completed at residency #1.
@NotAProgDirector any comments on this question?

Residencies have to provide malpractice insurance. That's not a "perk". That's an ACGME requirement. You are really making things complicated. And, if you've already talked to a lawyer, why are you asking a bunch of randos, like me, about this?

I realize you're trying to be clear, but the way you're asking the question is complicated. If I'm understanding things correctly, you were in a previous residency program and were terminated. Because of that, your training license was revoked. Now you're wondering if you were to try to get a new position, how this would impact licensing in a new state.

Assuming I have that correct:

The ACGME could care less about your licensing, so that's not an issue and there are no ACGME rules around licensing (since it's different for each state).

Any new program would likely just have you get a training license. There may be some states that require a full license for advanced PGY years (usually PGY-3+). This is very state dependent, there's no way anyone here can tell you much more than that. Although you certainly can be in residency on a full license, very rarely is that needed or helpful.

What I think your main question is: will the fact that you training license was revoked cause problems as you try to get licensed in a new state? And the answer is "maybe". It will totally depend upon the reason for the revocation. If it was something relatively benign such as not meeting milestones to get promoted to the next level, then a new state is unlikely to care. (I recognize that getting let go from a residency program is never really "benign", my apologies if that terminology is poor). If you had a more serious issue -- such as substance use, inappropriate behavior with patients, or any number of other issues -- then it could be a much bigger deal. Even with a training license, a board could add stipulations. If it was substance abuse they may require enrollment in the state's PHP -- which could be a huge pain and sometimes is crazy expensive but could be overcome / addressed. They could also put practice limits on you -- "No opioid prescribing" or "Must be chaperoned with all patients of XX sex or demographics. Those would be potentially fatal to employment, as a program might not be willing to deal with those types of issues.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.