CA Northstate Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
waitlisted? does it mean no more space? the class is filled ? if there is waiting list, i wonder why they are still interviewing. they said the last group to be interviewed in somewhere in may.

Members don't see this ad.

I also got waitlisted :( I also interviewed two weeks ago with you phamacy2486 :) it sucks to be waitlisted, I hope you have interviews with other schools.

Were you interviewed on April 4th??? I talked to someone at the schol today and she said most likely everyone on the waitlist will get in. That seems impossible though. What u think?

waitlisted? does it mean no more space? the class is filled ? if there is waiting list, i wonder why they are still interviewing. they said the last group to be interviewed in somewhere in may.

Yeah I actually work with one of the proffessors at the school and he said they only had a couple of spots a week ago. So I am assuming the class is full. I dont know why they are still accepting applicants through the end of this month. That sucks for all of us who applied a month or two ago because the waitlist is getting bigger and bigger.

Members don't see this ad :)

So have u been waitlisted too?? If so when did u find out??

Were you interviewed on April 4th??? I talked to Cindi today and she said most likely everyone on the waitlist will get in. That seems impossible though. What u think?

hehe yeah I was interviewed April 4th :) I think its possible if the waitlist is small.

Those of you that were waitlisted.. what were ur stats? if you dont mind me askin..

Those of you that were waitlisted.. what were ur stats? if you dont mind me askin..

My overall GPA is 3.02. Have a bachelor's in Bio. Where you also waitlisted?

has anyone who interviewed on 4.7 heard back from the school? I don't understand how everyone on the waiting will get in. that means that not all 80 seats have been accepted. are they putting ppl on the waitlist because they expect later apps to be more competitive, and therefore saving seats for those ppl? damn. this sucks.

anyone in here applied late and is waiting for an interview right now??
i guess the last group to be interviewed in may will probably have a lower chance of getting in ??

Hey guys, hhm..relax...It's okay to be placed on the waitlist. One of the reasons why there is a waitlist is because the application process is much more competitive. This tends to be true if you were interviewed later in the application process. But it might be possible that those of you who are placed on the wait list might get in. If you think about it, this is a brand new school. Not everyone who was accepted will place down the deposit, and those who did placed their deposits might not even attend. They will just loose their $500 deposit. It's crazy as it might sound, but if they are accepted at other schools, they might want to choose that route. So just relax until everything is finalize. I am sure that most of you that were placed on the waitlist might get in depending on the high you were placed on the waitlist. If California Northstate College of Pharmacy is your primary choice, then GOOD LUCK to you!! I hope you guys will get in and be part of the inagural class!! Keep your hopes up and I'll see you in the fall! Peace out!!

anyone in here applied late and is waiting for an interview right now??
i guess the last group to be interviewed in may will probably have a lower chance of getting in ??

How do they determine who on the wait list will get in and who will not?? How do they rank wait listed applicants??

Once you're on the waitlist, there's no more competition. You might get accepted depending on which number you are on the waitlist. If you number 1 or 2 on the waitlist, then your chance of getting in is obviously high. Now if your question is then what number do you get place on the waitlist after your interview, this number now depends on how well you did during your interview or how later you've interview.

How do they determine who on the wait list will get in and who will not??

Members don't see this ad :)
Once you're on the waitlist, there's no more competition. You might get accepted depending on which number you are on the waitlist. If you number 1 or 2 on the waitlist, then your chance of getting in is obviously high. Now if your question is then what number do you get place on the waitlist after your interview, this number now depends on how well you did during your interview or how later you've interview.

Well I wasn't assigned a number so this process is kind of confusing. I guess they must have a priority list, but they dont tell us what number we are. We may not even hear until August(in the letter I got). This is going to be a long summer:oops:.

wow, is it true that people on the waiting list can be moved up or down the list relative to other people depending on how well they did at the interview? can anyone confirm this? This mean that the last group to be interviewed in MAY may have a chance of getting in if they did well at the interview and can be placed near the top of the waitng list? am i correct?

wow, is it true that people on the waiting list can be moved up or down the list relative to other people depending on how well they did at the interview? can anyone confirm this? This mean that the last group to be interviewed in MAY may have a chance of getting in if they did well at the interview and can be placed near the top of the waitng list? am i correct?

Unfortunately, no one can confirm this except the admissions committee. I'm really not sure how their wait list system works. According to their website those who were interviewed but weren't offered admissions were placed on the wait list. That means that they don't reject anyone after interview. I'm assuming by this time they have at least 50 people on the wait list?? What Dr. Porter said is incorrect b/c they can't possibly accept most ppl on the waitlist if the waitlist is already this long..

A few pages back people were wondering if anyone was rejected; one of my classmates was in fact rejected (no interview offer).

I didn't apply to CNCP but I still watch the thread because it's local to me and I'm interested to see how it goes. We all hope it goes well! But, I also like to see BMBiology's info and others of you who are asking questions of the school to make sure it's on track. I don't think there's any reason for those of you who have been accepted or who are hopeful to get upset about this stuff. The idea is that all information is openly shared, and as long as Northstate stays on the ball, y'all have nothing to worry about. Best of luck!

According to their website those who were interviewed but weren't offered admissions were placed on the wait list. That means that they don't reject anyone after interview. I'm assuming by this time they have at least 50 people on the wait list?? What Dr. Porter said is incorrect b/c they can't possibly accept most ppl on the waitlist if the waitlist is already this long..

I think this is wrong. The website states that those who don't qualify will receive a letter of denial. So ppl do get rejected, we just don't know of any cases cuz no one posted they were denied. Also, the assistant dean mentioned that ppl could get denied after the interview. So, not everyone gets accepted or waitlisted. Unlessssss, they lied to us. I got my waitlist letter today too and i'm curious how their waitlist system works. If anyone has info, please share! Thanks =)

I think this is wrong. The website states that those who don't qualify will receive a letter of denial. So ppl do get rejected, we just don't know of any cases cuz no one posted they were denied. Also, the assistant dean mentioned that ppl could get denied after the interview. So, not everyone gets accepted or waitlisted. Unlessssss, they lied to us. I got my waitlist letter today too and i'm curious how their waitlist system works. If anyone has info, please share! Thanks =)

i do think that people do get rejected but they never confess. i'm also curious how the the waitlist works. i guess we just have to wait and see how everything get play out.

Has anyone in this forum gotten off the wait list?

hey guys,

i got an email from cindi stating that the admissions committee will meet together and decide on the order on the waiting list at a later date? does this mean that no one has been assigned a number yet?

i think they are hoping that people that were rejected at other schools apply here that is why they are puting more people on the waitlist.

At this point I am kind of dissapointed with this school. I am hearing different things from three different people at this school. First, Gail told me that I would not hear for another 3 weeks, but I got a waitlist letter 3 days later. Than I talked to Cindi and she said the waitlist is small and most everyone will get in. Finally, I talked to one of the professors today and he said the total opposite. He said the class is full and they are waitlisting A LOT of people. This seems totally unfair. He also said that not many people from the waitlist will get in. I AM SOO CONFUSED. One minute I have my hopes up and then one I don't. I am not sure what's going!!!!!!!!!!! Does anyone have some info that they KNOW is correct??

from what i heard from accepted students they were told that little more then half the seats were filled and this was in late march. i doubt they filled the entire class in a maner of few weeks

from what i heard from accepted students they were told that little more then half the seats were filled and this was in late march. i doubt they filled the entire class in a maner of few weeks

Well the professor I talked to is in the admissions commitee and he said they got many applications in the last few weeks and he said it is very competitive right now. One of my co-workers got accepted in January and he said that they had 40 people in January so it has been four months. They are most likely full.

I don't think Cindi knows what she's talking about..she has only been at the school for 2 months..I don't think people on the waist list should get their hopes up...that's including me..:(

That's how I feel also because even if they take people off the waitlist I doubt there will be no more than ten people and from what is looks like they probably have atleast 30-50 people on the list....which will get bigger because the app deadline is still 12 days away. So I'm thinking about moving on and waiting for Pharmcas in June.

Yeah...that means I have to write a new personal statement and get new letters of rec...the whole process is a hassle and I rather not go through it again =/.....I'm so pissed at Dr. Porter for telling all of us interviewees that most of us will get in when it's obvious that they have a ton of people on the wait list already :mad:

Yeah...that means I have to write a new personal statement and get new letters of rec...the whole process is a hassle and I rather not go through it again =/.....I'm so pissed at Dr. Porter for telling all of us interviewees that most of us will get in when it's obvious that they have a ton of people on the wait list already :mad:

Hey I have a few questions for you. Private message me if you like. So when was your interview?? What are your stats?

Hey I have a few questions for you. Private message me if you like. So when was your interview?? What are your stats?

I PM'ed you...

Since Dr. Porter is the Assistant Dean shouldn't she know more than that one professor you talked to? Who should we believe? Is the Assistant Dean part of the admissions committee?

I PM'ed you...

Since Dr. Porter is the Assistant Dean shouldn't she know more than that one professor you talked to? Who should we believe? Is the Assistant Dean part of the admissions committee?

Well the thing is he is in the admissions committee and I work with him. So I am sure he will tell me the truth. I dont want to mention his name, but he even warned me before the interview that the class is almost full and it will be very competitive. Plus Cindy is new......and he was one of the first peoples to start this school.

if the class is about full with alot of people on the waitlist why did they extend the deadline recently?

pharmacy2486 where does it say that the deadline is 12 days away i read that they will accept admisions until the class is filled

if the class is about full with alot of people on the waitlist why did they extend the deadline recently?

pharmacy2486 where does it say that the deadline is 12 days away i read that they will accept admisions until the class is filled

I saw that too! They changed deadline from April 30 to when class is filled..I don't get it..It makes me feel that they just want to take people's $60!! ><

I saw that too! They changed deadline from April 30 to when class is filled..I don't get it..It makes me feel that they just want to take people's $60!! ><

For-profit school. They would take apps until August if they could. But to be fair, all pharmacy schools make money off apps. :laugh:

did u guys even ask them why they are extending te deadline when there is already a waiting list? it's weird. and they arre conductin the last interview group in may,, i'ts makng me confusd and losing hope now.

did u guys even ask them why they are extending te deadline when there is already a waiting list? it's weird. and they arre conductin the last interview group in may,, i'ts makng me confusd and losing hope now.

I think they are extending it so they could find good applicants to fill up their classes when some of the original 80 students drop. Maybe some of the people haven't accepted their invites yet so they are waiting for them. If everyone has already accepted and the class is definately full...then they maybe expecting people to drop because some people are still hearing from UOP, USD, AND UCSF..which are great schools. He also said that some people may not get loans so they have no choice to drop because it is hard to get such a big personal loan unless you have good credit. I am not sure whats going on... just repeating some of what I heard. By the time you get an interview people may have declined their invites and you may immemdiately get a spot:confused:. I dont know I am sooo confused and pissed myself:mad:.

about the loan.. i thought that even if u dont have good credit, but if you have someone with decent income to cosign for u , then it is ok right? let me know if i am wrong..

I am confused and frustrated as well. u can't stand up before applicants and announce that waitlisted students will most likely all get in and not make sure ur word is kept! especially as an assistant dean. that's not cool.

I am confused and frustrated as well. u can't stand up before applicants and announce that waitlisted students will most likely all get in and not make sure ur word is kept! especially as an assistant dean. that's not cool.

Yeah I feel the same way. Because she said the list is not that big, but he said it is. :confused:. I also don't know why they are waitlisting people because on the website it say they are accepting apps until the class is filled...well if they are waitlisting people the class must already be full. I just wish they would only waitlist like maybe up 20 people so the rest of us won't waste our whole summer waiting around and/or spending time and money to apply elsewhere.

about the loan.. i thought that even if u dont have good credit, but if you have someone with decent income to cosign for u , then it is ok right? let me know if i am wrong..

From what I know I think you are correct. Well he said that since the economy is soo bad many banks will have loans with high interest rates and some people may not be able to afford that. This is all b/c they are not accredited.

My overall GPA is 3.02. Have a bachelor's in Bio. Been a pharmtech for about 2 years. Volunteered in pharmacies from 1 year and was in pre-pharm club. Where you also waitlisted?

I actually did not apply this year, but I am looking to do so next year. I like to follow up and see how things are going at this school.

You'll have to take out private loans which require good credit to qualify for. If you have bad credit, you can get someone with good credit to cosign for you and get private loans. With the Unsub Stafford at 6.8% and Grad Plus at 7.9% fixed. Private loans are not so bad at the current moment. Some are as low as 5.5% right now but they are variable, so it can go up or down but with the economy, it'll stay down for awhile.

The banks are in a credit crunch so a lot of them dropped out of student loan financing but there are plenty of lenders picking up the slack.

The ones that are truely screwed are those with bad credit and nobody to co-sign for them. Those are the ones that will probably need to drop out. Should of kept on top of those bills. If you went to an accredited school Stafford loans don't require a credit check but a Grad Plus loan does just like a private loan. So you have at least half the money at least.

For those of you who applied/interviewed and are still waiting to hear back from CNCP, don't lose hope or be disappointed yet. This entire page seems to be filled with doubts and worries over nothing? You don't even know for a fact what will happen with the school until June.

Just a few things I wanted to comment on:

1) When I spoke to Cindy early this month, she said there were 60 students who have accepted the offer to enroll this fall. Whether she knows what she's talking about or just naming a number, I really don't know and neither do you, so don't take what she says too seriously. Like many said, she IS new to the school.

2) ALL applicants who interviewed will be accepted or waitlisted, none will be denied - this came from the dean when I interviewed in Jan. Don't know if this has changed or not. I don't know how many interview sessions they have had, but it ranges from 6-8 applicants/session. Do the math. If half of these students get in, the other half is waitlisted..I don't think that would be a "small" number to where EVERYONE can get accepted. (That is a possible 80 students in the class and 80 on the waitlist.)

3) When I last spoke to David Carroll, he is working with banks/private lenders to put together a financial aid package. He did not deny that the financial aid process may be difficult because they are a brand new school. So I anticipate not so great interest rates and strict student loan terms.

4) And this is totally an assumption, but I think they're still interviewing to get more competitive applicants, as someone pointed out. It only makes sense, at this time in the year, most students will know whether or not they will get into their school of choice. Rather than wait another year to apply, students will look for any pharmacy school that they can still apply to. CNCP has a late application deadline (which is now extended), so these students will apply and hope to get in. CNCP then gets higher stats out of their students, which will only benefit them because it makes their class stats more appealing to future applicants.

hey pharmdee2bee,

if the school is extending the deadline to get more competitive applicants, does this mean that the late interviewee will have equal chance as those earlier applicants who have been waitlisted ? so the wait list does not work like a "first come, first get waitlisted at the top of the list?

You'll have to take out private loans which require good credit to qualify for. If you have bad credit, you can get someone with good credit to cosign for you and get private loans. With the Unsub Stafford at 6.8% and Grad Plus at 7.9% fixed. Private loans are not so bad at the current moment. Some are as low as 5.5% right now but they are variable, so it can go up or down but with the economy, it'll stay down for awhile.

The banks are in a credit crunch so a lot of them dropped out of student loan financing but there are plenty of lenders picking up the slack.

The ones that are truely screwed are those with bad credit and nobody to co-sign for them. Those are the ones that will probably need to drop out. Should of kept on top of those bills. If you went to an accredited school Stafford loans don't require a credit check but a Grad Plus loan does just like a private loan. So you have at least half the money at least.

Actually, the unsubs stafford is 6.8% and Grad Plus is 8.5%. You are only allowed up to so much for the unsubs (10G ?). No matter where you go, it's still going to be around 8.5%, only difference is the credit you will recieve when you pay them back. For example, if you do an automatic pay then you get more credits or if you pay them faster then you get a reduction on the interest rate after so many years. If the school gets pre-cand status, you will be able to get 8.5G/yr for subsidized. If you go into meds however, your private loan interest is about 5%, so unfair!!

Actually, the unsubs stafford is 6.8% and Grad Plus is 8.5%. You are only allowed up to so much for the unsubs (10G ?). No matter where you go, it's still going to be around 8.5%, only difference is the credit you will recieve when you pay them back. For example, if you do an automatic pay then you get more credits or if you pay them faster then you get a reduction on the interest rate after so many years. If the school gets pre-cand status, you will be able to get 8.5G/yr for subsidized. If you go into meds however, your private loan interest is about 5%, so unfair!!

Grad plus is 7.9% or 8.5% depending on how much the school feels like charging you. The good schools will give you 7.9. You can also get a 5% student private loan if you look around and have excellent credit. Just go and buy you Real FICO score, not one of those FAKO ones, if you are really curious as to if you are quaified.

The max unsub staff is 8.5K and the max sub staff is 24.5k per year. The rest is usually grad plus or private loans.

If you are smart about it and research your loans options carefully, going to CNCP could get you private loans with good rates if you have good credit.

There are some good info about the interest rates of student loans, and I want to clarify a few points.

subsidized Federal Stafford: 6.8% fixed (maximum of $8,500 as of 2008)
unsubsidized Federal Stafford: 6.8% fixed
Federal Direct Graduate PLUS: 7.9% fixed (requires credit check, but score isn't considered*)
Federal Family Education Graduate PLUS: 8.5% fixed (requires credit check, but score isn't considered*)
private student loan: interest rate is variable (changes over time based on Prime Rate or LIBOR) and is based on your credit score (higher score = lower rate)

For a subsidized Federal Stafford loan, the government pays the interest on your loan while you are in school. For other types of loans listed above, you are responsible for the interest while you're in school.

The difference between Federal Direct and Federal Family Education is the source of the borrowed money. The money will come directly from the government under a Federal Direct loan, whereas it will come from banks (Chase, Citi, Sallie Mae, etc.) under a Federal Family Education loan. Your school chooses which loan its students will receive.

Private student loans come from banks, require a credit check (higher score yields lower interest rate), and offer a variable interest rate. This variable interest rate could go up or down, depending on the Prime Rate or LIBOR that you and the bank agreed to.

* "A qualified Graduate PLUS Loan borrower does not have an adverse credit history (defined in regulations as being 90 days or more delinquent on any debt, or having a credit report that shows default, discharge, foreclosure, repossession, tax lien, wage garnishment or write-off of a Title IV debt during the five years preceding the date of the credit report). Note that Graduate and Professional Student PLUS loans do not use any kind of a debt-to-income ratio or FICO score, unlike private education loans."
source: http://www.gradloans.com/graduate-plus-loan/

hey pharmdee2bee,

if the school is extending the deadline to get more competitive applicants, does this mean that the late interviewee will have equal chance as those earlier applicants who have been waitlisted ? so the wait list does not work like a "first come, first get waitlisted at the top of the list?

Quite the contrary, I think they're cutting down the rate of interviews. As in, the interview sessions probably aren't as abundant as it was earlier this year. So..I would assume that the later interviews are more competitive. Waitlist is probably weighted/ranked, so candidates aren't taken off the waitlist on a first come/first served basis. Rather, their stats and interview results would be weighted so that "better" applicants will be offered acceptance first. This is probably the standard for all schools, not just CNCP.

pharmdee2bee,
that is good to hear that the waitlist is weighted.

so has anyone been accepted for an interview recently? in the past few weeks?