CA Northstate Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey alright..
are u still waiting for an interview too?
well, they told me that they wont be contacting anyone regarding interview until after the APCE visit..gotta wait for another week or so.

Members don't see this ad.

You'll have to take out private loans which require good credit to qualify for. If you have bad credit, you can get someone with good credit to cosign for you and get private loans. With the Unsub Stafford at 6.8% and Grad Plus at 7.9% fixed. Private loans are not so bad at the current moment. Some are as low as 5.5% right now but they are variable, so it can go up or down but with the economy, it'll stay down for awhile.

The banks are in a credit crunch so a lot of them dropped out of student loan financing but there are plenty of lenders picking up the slack.

The ones that are truely screwed are those with bad credit and nobody to co-sign for them. Those are the ones that will probably need to drop out. Should of kept on top of those bills. If you went to an accredited school Stafford loans don't require a credit check but a Grad Plus loan does just like a private loan. So you have at least half the money at least.
Just throwing my 2 cents into this since I've watched the formation of a few new schools in my lifetime...

If I'm not mistaken, none of the students at CA Northstate are eligible for Federal Student Loans (these are your "subsidized" and "unsubsidized" loans) until the school becomes an officially accredited institution by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges, which is the recognized institution of accreditation for the Federal Government. ACPE is not a federally recognized accreditation body for the purpose of student loans. This is why it took forever and a day for the students at Appalachia to get federal loans and why HICP students could never get them. (UAppalachia didn't get SACS accreditation until after the students first year if memory serves me correct)

Also too, some of you may want to quit jumping the gun about revealing yourselves on here. Teachers are not stupid. Many of them have nothing better to do than read a website like this. It wouldn't be a total shocker to me if one of the professors there is even posting as a "pre-pharm". And whatever you do, don't post information that you received in a conversation over the phone from anyone at the school and attach a name to it. It's a dead give away as to who you are.

As far as the school changing its mind on the application deadline, to me it says a lot about the quality of applicants they have received so far. After all, they did a horrible job advertising the school so not a whole lot of people know about it. Their website still is horrible imho. So now they are going after students that couldn't get into their first, second or third choice but still have decent stats. (GPA >3.3 and an 80 pcat) For the school, this is a must to make an impressive showing for the ACPE people, because they will look at the stats of the application pool of the first class. For whatever it's worth, Dean Hawkins knows what he is doing since he went through this process before at South, and he virtually knows everybody anybody that is important in the world of pharmacy.

Hope this was helpful!

Caverject...are you applicant at this school too?

anyway, I like your post.

Members don't see this ad :)
Caverject, we know that CNCP students can only take out private loans, we were just comparing normal pharmacy loans versus private loans. If you have good credit though, you should be able to beat the grad plus rate easily. Heck, I can get 1.9% on a balance transfer for the life of the loan on my credit card with only a $75 balance transfer fee.

Unsub is 6% not 6.8%, I'm looking at my financial aid package and that's what it says.

There was a total BS bill in Congress by Senator Kennedy that was going to reduce the Subsidized stafford rate to 4.3% by 2011 phased in over the years. The scam part of this is that it makes it look like Congress is doing something. It only affects Subsidized not unsubsidized loans which are a small part of financial aid, the rest are stuck at 6.8 and above. The student loan lobby is too powerful so us students get stuck with 6.8% Stafford loans. On my undergraduate loans from a couple of years back, I consolidated my stafford loans to 2.2%.

Caverject, we know that CNCP students can only take out private loans, we were just comparing normal pharmacy loans versus private loans. If you have good credit though, you should be able to beat the grad plus rate easily. Heck, I can get 1.9% on a balance transfer for the life of the loan on my credit card with only a $75 balance transfer fee.

Unsub is 6% not 6.8%, I'm looking at my financial aid package and that's what it says.

There was a total BS bill in Congress by Senator Kennedy that was going to reduce the Subsidized stafford rate to 4.3% by 2011 phased in over the years. The scam part of this is that it makes it look like Congress is doing something. It only affects Subsidized not unsubsidized loans which are a small part of financial aid, the rest are stuck at 6.8 and above. The student loan lobby is too powerful so us students get stuck with 6.8% Stafford loans. On my undergraduate loans from a couple of years back, I consolidated my stafford loans to 2.2%.
whoops!

Hey does anyone know of anyone who has been denied after an interview?

Hey. There have been some names thrown out and I was wondering if someone could identify who these names belong to? I've heard of Gail, Cindi, Dr. Porter... possibly listing their positions would be helpful so I would know who we are talking about. Thanks!!!

btw, I haven't heard of anyone who was rejected after an interview. What's going on? Could they be putting everyone who wasn't accepted onto the waiting list? :eek:

Hey. There have been some names thrown out and I was wondering if someone could identify who these names belong to? I've heard of Gail, Cindi, Dr. Porter... possibly listing their positions would be helpful so I would know who we are talking about. Thanks!!!

btw, I haven't heard of anyone who was rejected after an interview. What's going on? Could they be putting everyone who wasn't accepted onto the waiting list? :eek:

Dr. Porter and cindy are the same people. She's the Assistant Dean. Gail is the Administrative Coordinator. Dr. Fraustro and Dr. Feng are some of the professors there that I know of. I'm not sure about the rest of the staff and faculty though.

Hey does anyone know of anyone who has been denied after an interview?

I haven't heard of anyone being denied after an interview for this school. It's possible that no one would post it up. However, I have some friends who got denied after an interview at other pharmacy schools like USC. Their GPAs were really high so I'm guessing it was because of their English.

Does anyone know how much the essay portion factor into the acceptance process? I think that the interview itself is more important than the essay but correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks!

When I went for the interview the Dean said that the application, interview, and essay would be considered when they decide who will get in, but what they really consider they only know.

I am really curios how many people they have waitlisted.......Is there someone out there who will admit that they got rejected before or after an interview? It would really help all of us waitlisted people get some hope, but if there is no one out there...that means that everyone is on the waitlist and there is not much hope...Thanks!

Argh, why would Dr. Porter make such statement knowing that no one is rejected after an interview! :mad:

kismet wrote

A few pages back people were wondering if anyone was rejected; one of my classmates was in fact rejected (no interview offer).

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Longlashes I know you and me have been very worried about this well TODAY i talked to another person in the admissions commitee and she told me that only like 15 people are on the waitlist right now. I dont know if that is true, but according SDN we only have 4 people off of here. However, they still have one or two more sets of interviews.....which ALL of them will either be placed on the waitlist or denied. She said they will be notified before they are interviwed that there are no more spots left. So I know that the list will get bigger....but how big...I dunno.

Dean Hawkins...that's the dean of the school and possible chair. :laugh: Ok, that was lame to throw in there. LOL.

Anyway, back to business..I really think their class is full, in other words, they have 80 students who accepted the offer for admission. And I also think that future interviews are waitlisted. This seems to be the trend, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong...but as you read this forum lately, have you seen any acceptances (not to say that EVERYONE will be on SDN posting their results). However, aside from this trend that I noticed on SDN, I also had a friend with competitive stats who interviewed earlier this month. They also got waitlisted. To back up my theory, I'll just say this friend got interviewed at USC, UCSF, and Western. Totally shocking when they did not get the acceptance letter from CNCP. Just to clear up another question I feel will come up, this person applied to CNCP because it's late in the cycle and CNCP is in CA. :D

Hi everyone...I was wondering is there anyone that got accepted in CNCP and another school recently and is going to give up there spot at CNCP?

Hi Longlashes I know you and me have been very worried about this well TODAY i talked to another person in the admissions commitee and she told me that only like 15 people are on the waitlist right now. I dont know if that is true, but according SDN we only have 4 people off of here. However, they still have one or two more sets of interviews.....which ALL of them will either be placed on the waitlist or denied. She said they will be notified before they are interviwed that there are no more spots left. So I know that the list will get bigger....but how big...I dunno.

Lets do a count... whoever is waitlisted, PM me and I'll compile a list to see how many of us are there :thumbup:

Those on the waitlist so far...

1. Gummy
2. sunaqua03
3. pharmacy2486
4. longlashes
5. vtecdoma

is there anyone in here applied a little late and still waiting for a call from them for an interview or something?
i wonder if the admissions committee are still reviewing applications or have they put off the application reviews until after the ACPE visit this week??
it has been weeks and months already and my file is still showing a status" waiting for documents.""

is there anyone in here applied a little late and still waiting for a call from them for an interview or something?
i wonder if the admissions committee are still reviewing applications or have they put off the application reviews until after the ACPE visit this week??
it has been weeks and months already and my file is still showing a status" waiting for documents.""

This means that you are missing something and you need to figure what has not gotten to them yet. If you don't do this by April 30 they will never ook at your application. Maybe something got lost in the mail and you have to resend it. Call Gail asap and she will tell you what they are waiting for because I got a call for an interview when it said "reviewing".

Hey

well, i turned in my applications two months ago, and Gail told me what i was missing, so i turned them in about three weeks ago. I asked Gail many times if they have recieved my stuff and she said did i check online and i said yea and that status is still " waiting for documents.
do u think the admissions committee are preparing for the APCE visit that they are not reviewing applicatoins at this time?

Gail told me that she has put my file on review..it's in the process of being reviewed while waiting for the missing documents.

Hey

well, i turned in my applications two months ago, and Gail told me what i was missing, so i turned them in about three weeks ago. I asked Gail many times if they have recieved my stuff and she said did i check online and i said yea and that status is still " waiting for documents.
do u think the admissions committee are preparing for the APCE visit that they are not reviewing applicatoins at this time?

Gail told me that she has put my file on review..it's in the process of being reviewed while waiting for the missing documents.

Make sure you send it to their address in Rancho Cordova. When I did mine, I used the old address and the mail was not forwarded to their new building so I had to resend the stuff... delaying my application by a week or so!

yea, i sent it to the new addresss. i checked the address many times too.

Those on the waitlist so far...

1. Gummy
2. sunaqua03
3. pharmacy2486
4. longlashes
5. vtecdoma

Thats a little bit of good news that only 5 people on SDN are on the waitlist...If there are more people please let sunaqua03 know. If anyone has been denied please don't be scared to admit it. I didn't get into UOP and I can admit that.

i was wondering if there is another forum similar to this that might have other members and maybe we can get more info from them

ACPE visits today and 2morrow. Let's all pray everything goes well

Hey

Yeah one of my letter of recs were missing and they just updated that yesterday because I called them. So I assume they are just really behind due to the preparation for ACPE so if by next Wednesday your application does not saying "reviewing" I would Gail up again. She's really helpful. According to the SDN no one has heard anything for this school for atleast a week regrading admissions decisions. So after next week they will probably start scheduling interviwes and sending additional letters. You'll porbably get a call for an interview next Friday.

I wonder if it would be wise to call the school after their ACPE meeting? One of the faculty members I spoke to said that they usually know after the meeting based on what ACPE says to them. To clarify, no, they won't know the exact answer, whether yes or no they will get pre-cand status. However, this professor told me that based on the questions and things ACPE members approach them with, they usually know well in advance. Of course, the dean has experience with this as well..so he'd be able to reference his old experience with ACPE to make an educated "guess." Just a thought...:D

So I hope everything went well at the school yesterday and today. Has anyone heard anything about how it went??

i hope everything went well with the ACPE meeting.

anyone going to contact the school on moday?

I would like to congratulate all of you that have already been accepted into this school. Good luck class of 2012. I hope I get in too.....on the waitlist....

Has anybody from the 4/11 interview hear any news yet??? plz tell us when ya'll do! :laugh:

Hi Im new here and I was soo excited durring the weekend because I recieved a interview for may 16th but after reading this thread i kinda got depressed because I heard even if I get a interview, I'll end up on the waitinglist. Im pretty sure whom ever get put on waitlist will be at the end of that waitlist which will end being me. I thank you for you truthfullness and information, of course sometimes the truth hurts. Good luck to the students that got accepted I wish you the best.

Dmadina,

wow, when did they let u know about the interview date?
did they email u or call u?
i am so scare b/c i didn't hear anythng from them about the interview yet.
i am afraid i wont get an interview at all.
the waiting for an interview date is making me nervous.

and yea, even if i get an interview, what is the point b/c there is already a waitinglist,

do think the late interviewees will get lucky and get placed near the top? if the waitlist is weighted?

Hi everyone... I went to the school today it looks BEAUTIFUL. The lecture room is huge and looks very neat. I didn't know all 80 students will have class at the same time. Also, the mock pharmacy looks really nice....even better than the pharmacy I work at now. hehehehe......It looks really different from three weeks ago. You guys shoudl go check it out...

Hi everyone... I went to the school today it looks BEAUTIFUL. The lecture room is huge and looks very neat. I didn't know all 80 students will have class at the same time. Also, the mock pharmacy looks really nice....even better than the pharmacy I work at now. hehehehe......It looks really different from three weeks ago. You guys shoudl go check it out...

did you talk to them about interviews, waitlist etc.?

actually I only talked to Gayle today. She does not have any information on it.

Yeah I know but Dmadina was that was the only name that came to mind when I registered, which was yesteraday. They emailed me and invite last friday and it was placed in my email but I didn't check it until Sunday night. May 16, is the day of the interview. I also live 500 miles away so I'm either driving or fly.