CA Northstate Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmcas514

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who applied to CA Northstate, anyone hear about an interview? I just got an interview invite and am still debating on whether or not to even try since it did JUST open. For those who ALREADY had an interview on their campus, what was it like? Any positive feedback? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

... For those who ALREADY had an interview on their campus, what was it like? ...

Do they even have a campus yet? Also I was curious what date did they ask you to interview, or if they require you to schedule your own date? I also suggest you schedule (if you can) after January or atleast when they do get their precandidate status established.

Members don't see this ad :)
did they send the invite through email or snail mail?

they sent it through snail mail. i received it yesterday, but i live an hour away from sacramento. the first interview date is january 14 (well, that was the first on the list of options they gave me). i'm thinking of scheduling on january 18th. anyone else on that date?

according to history/record as of this year, for the June 2007 meeting, ACPE did not POST their result on their website until July 18 or 19...so what does this prelude to the January 2008 meeting??

i also got an interview invite via snail mail but I think I'm going to decline b/c got accepted elsewhere.. good luck to everyone applying and interviewing :luck:

yeah, i want to know if they even have a physical campus yet. last I checked, it was some run down law office in the ghetto of sacramento. That might have changed.

Also, anyone know their regional accred. status?

compare and contrast with usn....they applied for both (ACPE and Regional), so with Regional...this means you can get federal loans, during that time, student resorts to private loan, and this process can take up to 4 or 5 more years...

OP what are your stats and ec?

I have an interview on Jan. 28th and want to know if its worth going to. I heard they don't even have their own Pharmacy building yet and they are leasing some offices in the area for interviews. Also they haven't been accredited yet. Any thoughts?? should I give it a shot? :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
it looks like ACPE will probably post all their results on their website of the January 2008 meeting during the 2nd or 3rd week of February...but the school will know before that, a month ahead?

Just curious, but anyone went for the interview yet? How was it? What kind of questions did they ask? What did they say abt accreditation? What kind of infastructure has been put up so far for the school?

My friend spoke to the dean. He told me that when ACPE came for an on site visit, they were not satisfied that they didn't have building. At that time all they had to show for ACPE were the floor plans for a rental.

The school did not attend the January ACPE meeting. They plan on going to the June one and ask ACPE to examine the building before. Pre-cand status won't be known till after.

They will probably close it down with in a year or two and all of your money and time is gone and can't even use your classes for elsewhere because it was a new school.

Not true, I don't think they'll gain pre-accreditation in the first place. I think they'll accept a class, go to ACPE, get denied...and that first class won't have a chance to pay a first semester's tuition yet.

But I think the people who will accept admission here will not have gotten into any other program, simply because if you had a choice between a non-accred school vs. a precandidate school....only an idiot would choose the non-accred.

My friend spoke to the dean. He told me that when ACPE came for an on site visit, they were not satisfied that they didn't have building. At that time all they had to show for ACPE were the floor plans for a rental.

The school did not attend the January ACPE meeting. They plan on going to the June one and ask ACPE to examine the building before. Pre-cand status won't be known till after.

wow, hearing about pre-cand status AFTER june won't be good for prospective students, and therefore the school. the probability of a class starting this fall doesn't seem too great.

wow, hearing about pre-cand status AFTER june won't be good for prospective students, and therefore the school. the probability of a class starting this fall doesn't seem too great.

Not really. I think I remember reading from Pacific U students on this board that the same thing happened to them two yrs ago.

I still believe that CA does not need an 8th school. These people should have opened a school in states where there is a huge shortage. 7 schools in CA is plenty.

Also, the frequency with how they update their website and when they release the app is very unprofessional compared to Sullivan Univ and others.

Same with UH Hilo...they received pre-accred just before fall classes began. That musta been one hell of a wait for the students. Now they have a high number of applications this year.

My issue with CA northstate is stated above by stevey....overflow in the # of California schools and the lack of information from the institution itself. Plus it is a stand alone private school with no established programs whatsoever, lack of attendance at January ACPE, and the additional hurdle of regional accred.

what would you do to obtain accreditation, hire someone or a consultant who is knowledgable about acpe, notify of the development of school at least 1 to 2 years before submitting application, learn from previous accreditation, e.g. usn vs hicp failure; well, if they don't obtain accreditation now, those applying will just have to wait or apply elsewhere; success can only come through trying

Not really. I think I remember reading from Pacific U students on this board that the same thing happened to them two yrs ago.

I still believe that CA does not need an 8th school. These people should have opened a school in states where there is a huge shortage. 7 schools in CA is plenty.

Also, the frequency with how they update their website and when they release the app is very unprofessional compared to Sullivan Univ and others.

Good point:)

I'm curious -- why do you guys think there is an overflow in the # of Calif. schools? I was under the impression that all the schools were ultra-competitive and that they had to turn away a ton of qualified students...

Same with UH Hilo...they received pre-accred just before fall classes began. That musta been one hell of a wait for the students. Now they have a high number of applications this year.

My issue with CA northstate is stated above by stevey....overflow in the # of California schools and the lack of information from the institution itself. Plus it is a stand alone private school with no established programs whatsoever, lack of attendance at January ACPE, and the additional hurdle of regional accred.

I'm curious -- why do you guys think there is an overflow in the # of Calif. schools? I was under the impression that all the schools were ultra-competitive and that they had to turn away a ton of qualified students...

Too many pharmacists in California IMO... they're cutting back at CVS in southern california.

but it's not necessarily that these are all californians applying...california has been competitive for all health professions because it is considered one of the most desirable locations to live. Factor in the fact that a) you're here for 4+ years b) most students in general don't care about cost of living (ie why worry about an extra $400/mo in rent if you live somewhere cool and you're already spending $30k+/yr in tuition) and no wonder CA attracts students.

I dunno...there's just too many, and I swear this school is another HICP waiting to happen. I'd rather have an established university open a school vs. this building-less money stealing debacle.

I can't speak about the entire state of california, however where i live, Los Angeles, there is no shortage of pharmacists what so ever. I spoke to 5+ pharmacists that i work with currently employed in Los Angeles, each of them told me that 95% of the positions that are not filled in this area are due horrible management and conditions that are almost nobody can work in. I hear it's the same in bay area.

Now, you mentioned schools turning away qualified applicants. Well, you must define what a qualified applicant is. The minimum qualification are mostly GPA of 2.5, PCAT 50th (not in CA), 2 years of college. Are you trying to say that all these "qualified" applicants should be in pharm school.

Look at GPA of schools like Western, Loma Linda, Touro. They accept students with 3.2-3.3 GPA of average. No school even require PCAT. I think most schools outside of CA are more competitive than the ones in CA.

I haven't submitted my application and now I'm going to hold off till Febuary.
The appointed Dean has a great background and resume so I'm hoping that things work out... It could be great...or Not :cool:
I guess we'll wait and see

GPA isn't everything. the reason why their averages are lower is because there are soo many people in Cali therefore with a lot of competition a 3.2 from cali may very well be equivalent to a 3.5 in other states. Also, if you look at the MCAT averages schools in Cali like UCDavis scored higher than the national average even though poeple that get accepted to medical school from UCD don't have very high GPAs.

I can't speak about the entire state of california, however where i live, Los Angeles, there is no shortage of pharmacists what so ever. I spoke to 5+ pharmacists that i work with currently employed in Los Angeles, each of them told me that 95% of the positions that are not filled in this area are due horrible management and conditions that are almost nobody can work in. I hear it's the same in bay area.

Now, you mentioned schools turning away qualified applicants. Well, you must define what a qualified applicant is. The minimum qualification are mostly GPA of 2.5, PCAT 50th (not in CA), 2 years of college. Are you trying to say that all these "qualified" applicants should be in pharm school.

Look at GPA of schools like Western, Loma Linda, Touro. They accept students with 3.2-3.3 GPA of average. No school even require PCAT. I think most schools outside of CA are more competitive than the ones in CA.

What are the students of Hawaii doing about their situation? I know their courses are not transferrable and they wasted a lot of time and money, but are they still eligible to apply to other pharmacy schools? This all seems extremely risky with new schools who are still not granted pre-cand. status...:confused:

What are the students of Hawaii doing about their situation? I know their courses are not transferrable and they wasted a lot of time and money, but are they still eligible to apply to other pharmacy schools? This all seems extremely risky with new schools who are still not granted pre-cand. status...:confused:
I can tell you from my personal experiences with HICP. After the whole nightmare was over, I tried to move on and reapply. I contacted all of the schools that i'm interested in and told them my personal situation and all I got from them was some sympathy and general answer such as : " you should try to retake classes that you dont get good grades in and apply to our school." None of my class from HICP was transferable. It was a waste of time/effort and especially money. It's a great life lesson but unfortunately, a very expensive one.
after this whole incident, I tend to gear away from new schools. I dont mean all new schools are like HICP. However, it's like deja vu when i checked out CA northstate website. ( the domain was in Org (just like HICP.ORG) and no concrete building/plans for the next class.) another fact that this is an independent college and not even achieve regional status yet scared me. This is the same problem that HICP faced during their first year.
Anyways, this is just my opinion as i speak for myself after going thru the whole HICP nightmare. I really dont want this situation to happen again to anyone. Please do your research carefully on any new schools before you decide to invest your money and time in them
Gluck to those who apply.. Hard work and persistence do pay off at the end.. ( I know this is true :)

Because of HICP, the likelihood of another incident happening is greatly reduced. ACPE is hounding the new schools, requiring "escape" plans for students in case accred. is not rec'd, and not allowing schools to accept students without pre-accred.

Read about HICP here:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=172613
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=262136
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=268467

I just think CA North won't get preaccred, regional accred, or anything...but at the same time, prospective students will be out application fees and time this round. If HICP never happened, it probably would have happened with CA Northstate as the enrollment restrictions wouldn't be in place.

I just think CA North won't get preaccred, regional accred, or anything...but at the same time, prospective students will be out application fees and time this round. If HICP never happened, it probably would have happened with CA Northstate as the enrollment restrictions wouldn't be in place.

Dang....I just checked my Washingtonmutual checking account online and CNCP just cashed my check last week! I hope they aren't just cashing everyone's check and leaving us in the dust! :eek:

Although this WAS my backup school, I hope like others have mentioned, everything for them will pan out by Fall.:confused:

is it feasible to attach with sacramento state and be part of the university giving them more credibility?

is it feasible to attach with sacramento state and be part of the university giving them more credibility?

nope, not at all. By law, state universities (CSU/state system) in california are forbidden from awarding doctorate degrees. Only the University of California is allowed to award such degrees.

plus, this is an entirely private enterprise...it would be highly unusual and highly unlikely for the nearest UC (davis) to absorb the program. Programs within the UC system have their own internal process to follow in order to be formed. It'd be cheaper to start from scratch vs. taking over a failing institution (which would be the case should CANS require a "takeover")

I am not an expert, but these two schools couldn't have less in common. California state university Sacramento funded by the government, tuition is 3,400 per yr. North State is a for profit organization, asking for 35K of tuition.

The ACPE had its meeting on Jan 9-13 so the school should know by now whether it received pre-candidate status. Why not call the school and find out before applying? You can also call the ACPE. I have dealt with them in the past and they have been very receptive.

read the thread please. they chose not to attend the january meeting.

Your source is from a friend. Why not find out the truth by contacting the ACPE?

If it is true that the ACPE didn't like that they didnt have a building, then delaying it for 6 months is not going to change anything.

I am not an expert, but these two schools couldn't have less in common. California state university Sacramento funded by the government, tuition is 3,400 per yr. North State is a for profit organization, asking for 35K of tuition.

Lol...I am an expert, and you are right, it is like Habitat for Humanity buying/taking over Exxon Mobil.

Your source is from a friend. Why not find out the truth by contacting the ACPE?

If it is true that the ACPE didn't like that they didnt have a building, then delaying it for 6 months is not going to change anything.

Reason it's delayed until june is because that's the next meeting after January. Jefferson and Sullivan already got their Pre-cand status and attended the meeting. Northstate did not. It's plain and simple.

I can tell you from my personal experiences with HICP. After the whole nightmare was over, I tried to move on and reapply. I contacted all of the schools that i'm interested in and told them my personal situation and all I got from them was some sympathy and general answer such as : " you should try to retake classes that you dont get good grades in and apply to our school." None of my class from HICP was transferable. It was a waste of time/effort and especially money. It's a great life lesson but unfortunately, a very expensive one.
after this whole incident, I tend to gear away from new schools. I dont mean all new schools are like HICP. However, it's like deja vu when i checked out CA northstate website. ( the domain was in Org (just like HICP.ORG) and no concrete building/plans for the next class.) another fact that this is an independent college and not even achieve regional status yet scared me. This is the same problem that HICP faced during their first year.
Anyways, this is just my opinion as i speak for myself after going thru the whole HICP nightmare. I really dont want this situation to happen again to anyone. Please do your research carefully on any new schools before you decide to invest your money and time in them
Gluck to those who apply.. Hard work and persistence do pay off at the end.. ( I know this is true :)

Hey Hawaii, that must've been a nightmare, sorry to hear you had to go through all that. Thank you for the warnings too, it's a learning experience for all of us.

how come they didnt attend the meeting?

It's because they don't have a building with classrooms yet and the ACPE wasn't too happy about that. The dean is hoping that by the next meeting in June they will have something to present. (If you scroll up a little, SteveySmith told us the same thing)..

It's because they don't have a building with classrooms yet and the ACPE wasn't too happy about that. The dean is hoping that by the next meeting in June they will have something to present. (If you scroll up a little, SteveySmith told us the same thing)..

Thank you RXlist. Unfortunately, this is only what the dean said is the reason, people may want to take it as a grain of salt. I'd be curious to why couldn't the dean satisfy this requirement before the february meeting since this inadequacy was known in November when ACPE came for on an onsite visit. However, Hawaii (HILO) and Pacific OR got their pre-cand in June as well, so it's still possible.

It doesn't matter what you read in this thread or what your friend has told you. If you want to know the truth, then you should contact the ACPE. Don't waste your time applying to a school without knowing the facts first.

I am so incredibly disappointed by the lack of support that this school is receiving. Don't you people have better things to do than to sit here and ridicule a school that is attempting to get on its own two feet. CA northstate is a perfectly legitimate school. I have had the opportunity to meet with the dean on my interview on friday morning, and he is an amazing person. The amount of experience and competence this man has, will definately take him and this school far. The dean, and the faculty, had so much faith in the program and in the school itself, that I was completely moved. The dean has also devised a curriculum/program that will be focused on making sure the student is learning the material, rather than just memorizing and regurgitating it. This school will be a success whether you want it to be or not, because of its unique program, amazing faculty, and dynamically inspirational dean. And fyi, the only reason they didn't have their meeting with the acpe in january, was because the dean thought it best to postpone the meeting until the building was finished. Which is going to be by the first week of february, not june! Therefore, the meeting will also be next month. This school will, and I repeat, will receive its pre-candidate state, because the dean is one smart and powerful guy, who has so many years of experience and depth to carry him through it with flying colors. Not only that, but my experience with speaking to Dr. Carroll, and Alvin Cheung, showed me that the school already has incredibly experienced and intelligent faculty members who will provide a wonderful foundation for the school. So please do not speak against the school, and post comments saying the school wont get its accreditation. Because when it does, you will be the first to be laughed at for your ignorance. :laugh: Good day to you. live and let live. peace!

so if they get approved for pre cand (feb or june) do you think they will start their first class this fall..?

basically indianpharm said to leave "us" alone....by "us" referring, well you know who...so for others (not the "us") who are applying, it 's like a waiting process, that means time and money, and getting old; from what i see, ACPE came and saw that Northstate wasn't ready, no building, no plan , etc, and so the school decided not to go to ACPE meeting or perhaps withdrew their application (like harding) and reapply for the Spring visitation by ACPE, then by June they will know the outcome, posted in July for everyone to see the results at the ACPE website; so you can predict that if they are not ready or got denied again, this would look really bad and it would show you a lot about the people running the program, look at business, high tuition, so on....on the student side, they might have to wait another year, and some likes to wait and wait and wait, and yes they will become successful, if not now, when?

I am so incredibly disappointed by the lack of support that this school is receiving. Don't you people have better things to do than to sit here and ridicule a school that is attempting to get on its own two feet. CA northstate is a perfectly legitimate school. I have had the opportunity to meet with the dean on my interview on friday morning, and he is an amazing person. The amount of experience and competence this man has, will definately take him and this school far. The dean, and the faculty, had so much faith in the program and in the school itself, that I was completely moved. The dean has also devised a curriculum/program that will be focused on making sure the student is learning the material, rather than just memorizing and regurgitating it. This school will be a success whether you want it to be or not, because of its unique program, amazing faculty, and dynamically inspirational dean. And fyi, the only reason they didn't have their meeting with the acpe in january, was because the dean thought it best to postpone the meeting until the building was finished. Which is going to be by the first week of february, not june! Therefore, the meeting will also be next month. This school will, and I repeat, will receive its pre-candidate state, because the dean is one smart and powerful guy, who has so many years of experience and depth to carry him through it with flying colors. Not only that, but my experience with speaking to Dr. Carroll, and Alvin Cheung, showed me that the school already has incredibly experienced and intelligent faculty members who will provide a wonderful foundation for the school. So please do not speak against the school, and post comments saying the school wont get its accreditation. Because when it does, you will be the first to be laughed at for your ignorance. :laugh: Good day to you. live and let live. peace!

i think after what happened to HICP people would be a LITTLE cautious, so calm down

I am so incredibly disappointed by the lack of support that this school is receiving. ....

(long random crap)

hah WHOA...paragraphs are your friend, buddy. Your post reads like a lot of the HICP defense posts people wrote in 2005. The words "faith," "strong man," and "plan" do not equate to "pre-accredited" or "concrete."

Also, ACPE does not meet until June, so any pre-accreditation won't happen until then, if at all.

And ACPE mandates that 1/3 of the curriculum be experiential, so this so-called unique lack of a "read and regurgitate" plan isn't a novel idea.

Anyway I stand by my prediction/opinion for $2: CA Northstate will fail to get pre-accreditation for fall 2008, the only accepted students that will be affected are those who did not get accepted into any other program (as those who did would not select this school), the school will reapply and then receive pre-accreditation come January 2009. I also predict a <65% pass rate on the NAPLEX exam in 2013.

I also predict a 25% chance the school will have to use its mandated "escape plan" 1 year into the program.

haha...does anyone else think they'll use plastic folding chairs & tables in a giant room too?

And I really don't care if I'm wrong....this is my prediction using the facts that I have seen. If you laugh at me...go ahead, I probably won't be reading this thread by then anyway.

In my opinion, I think there's really nothing to worry about. There has only been one, ONE case where a pharmacy program was forced to shut down, HICP. I mean we are talking about ONE out of nearly ONE HUNDRED pharmacy schools in the U.S. And there are a handful of cases where this delayed process has occurred, and the schools turned out to be fine. I bet ppl criticized this school like any other school when they first opened...ppl probably criticized Pacific U, Hilo (especially, i bet since the HICP incident...), USN, Western, etc etc. Now look, ppl are fighting for their lives to get into these schools...im 99% sure Northstate will turn out to be the same, in a couple years ppl will be desparately trying to get into this school. Yea theres that dreadful "1%," but im sure every accredited school had to go through that. Im from vegas, so 99% is the best odds you can possibly have and its definitely worth it :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: