C/O 2021 HPSP Thread (Army/AF/Navy)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is there anything ARMY HPSP pays for that NAVY HPSP doesn't? Or vice versa? So far it seems that the navy WILL NOT pay for a tablet rental which the army will. And both will pay for a computer rental up to $500/year. Does army hpsp pay for the national board dental examinations?

The HPSP supervisors from all three Services meet annually in order to review what and how-much each will reimburse. Computers are a no-go other than rental as stated. Health insurance is based on the fact that the school mandates it for all students not just HPSP. Loupes are only reimbursed if they are a part of a kit, or if they are mandated for all students at the current level D1, D2, etc. There is a difference (all three services agree to disagree) when it comes to the LED head lamps. Navy and Air Force reimburse, Army doesn't. Similarly, if a book is a review book the Army will not reimburse, while the other two Services do. All three do pay for NBDE, but not the regional exam.

For Army, a complete list of reimbursable items is found in Chapter 7 of the Student Policy Handbook found at https://mods.army.mil/medicaleducation under the General Info tab.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So now that the Army boards have met, when do you suppose we will hear back with the official decisions?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! Does anyone know if there is an advantage of being a woman applying for this scholarship?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

The scholarship is merit based. There is no distinction in gender, race, religion, creed or color.

Are my chances fairly low if the boards to review my application is for March?

Members don't see this ad :)
Moreso that it is a rolling admissions process so you are competing for fewer spots. Just as the "Pre-Dec Interviews" for Dental School admissions was labeled as higher yield

Does anyone know how many Navy HPSPs are left? I'm meeting for the Feb board according to my recruiter

When exactly is the board for February? And how long after that will we be hearing back? My recruiter hasn't been keeping me updated that well, sadly.

I got my final select letter the other day. Seems like the whole professional recommendation process takes a bit.

Hi everyone,

I am interested in either the 3-year or 4-year HPSPs. I understand I am late to the game, but what are my chances of landing one of these scholarships (through Army, AF, or Navy) if I apply now. I've been accepted into the University of Washington School of Dentistry, intervervied at Penn Dental Medicine last week, and am interviewing at UOP this week. My stats are:

AA: 23
TS: 22
GPA (science/overall): 3.85/3.90
100+ hours of shadowing, 100+ hours of community service, great leadership experience, and solid LORs.

I need some advice on what steps I should take moving forward. I'm having a difficult time getting in contact with the AF recruiter and haven't reached out to Army/Navy recruiters yet. I don't want to miss out on a great opportunity like this. Any advice helps!

Hi everyone,

I am interested in either the 3-year or 4-year HPSPs. I understand I am late to the game, but what are my chances of landing one of these scholarships (through Army, AF, or Navy) if I apply now. I've been accepted into the University of Washington School of Dentistry, intervervied at Penn Dental Medicine last week, and am interviewing at UOP this week. My stats are:

AA: 23
TS: 22
GPA (science/overall): 3.85/3.90
100+ hours of shadowing, 100+ hours of community service, great leadership experience, and solid LORs.

I need some advice on what steps I should take moving forward. I'm having a difficult time getting in contact with the AF recruiter and haven't reached out to Army/Navy recruiters yet. I don't want to miss out on a great opportunity like this. Any advice helps!

I think Navy is the only branch with remaining board dates...And it's pretty slim by then. You could try for 3 year HPSP

I think Navy is the only branch with remaining board dates...And it's pretty slim by then. You could try for 3 year HPSP
Thanks for the advice. When do you recommend applying for the 3-year HPSP, and how many offers do each branch extend? Does the scholarship begin this fall?

Thanks for the advice. When do you recommend applying for the 3-year HPSP, and how many offers do each branch extend? Does the scholarship begin this fall?
For the 3-year Navy HPSP, you want to start your application in June-July, since the first board is usually October or November. It takes roughly about 2-3 months to get your entire application completed. Regarding how many seats available for the 3-year HPSP, I'm thinking somewhere around 10-20. These 10-20 HPSP's will be given first to those who were waitlisted for the 4-year HPSP in the previous year, and how many ever left will be given to those who specifically applied for the 3-year HPSP, if I'm not mistaken.

For the 3-year Navy HPSP, you want to start your application in June-July, since the first board is usually October or November. It takes roughly about 2-3 months to get your entire application completed. Regarding how many seats available for the 3-year HPSP, I'm thinking somewhere around 10-20. These 10-20 HPSP's will be given first to those who were waitlisted for the 4-year HPSP in the previous year, and how many ever left will be given to those who specifically applied for the 3-year HPSP, if I'm not mistaken.
Thank you NavyDDS1990! So if the first board is usually October or November for the 3-year Navy HPSP, when does the scholarship begin? In your second year of dental school? In other words, is it too late for me to land a HPSP scholarship that will begin fall of 2017?

So essentially my only option is to apply for the 3-year HPSP which would pay tuition, books, stipend, etc. starting my second year of dental school?

Thank you NavyDDS1990! So if the first board is usually October or November for the 3-year Navy HPSP, when does the scholarship begin? In your second year of dental school? In other words, is it too late for me to land a HPSP scholarship that will begin fall of 2017?
You're too late for 4-year HPSP. However, I feel that with your stats, you have a very very decent chance of getting the 3-year HPSP, especially for the Navy because they love to see applicants with 22+ on DAT and highly consider them for a spot. So your plan would be applying for 3-year HPSP and make sure you contact your local recruiter in June-July and get started on the application so you can be on the first board meeting.

So essentially my only option is to apply for the 3-year HPSP which would pay tuition, books, stipend, etc. starting my second year of dental school?
Correct, if you get selected for the 3-year HPSP, you will get the benefits starting your 2nd year and 1st year is entirely on you

Right now.
If you can find a recruiter willing to work with you, and he can get you boarded this year, your chances of getting a 3 year scholarship raises tremendously. People on the waitlist from the 4 year scholarship tend to get priority.

If one recruiter refuses you, look for another one. Some might see your application as a lost cause and isn't worth the paperwork, but there are definitely some that goes the extra mile.

Reactions: 3 users
Just heard from my recruiter, I've been professionally recommended for the Army's 4 year HPSP scholarship.

Reactions: 4 users
Hello everyone ! Congratulations to those who have already received their scholarships and to those still waiting, best of luck! Would any of you mind posting your stats ? I'm a junior Bio major & I'm strongly leaning towards hpsp. Thank you !

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using SDN mobile

Hello everyone ! Congratulations to those who have already received their scholarships and to those still waiting, best of luck! Would any of you mind posting your stats ? I'm a junior Bio major & I'm strongly leaning towards hpsp. Thank you !

I received the Navy 4 year HPSP with a 3.9 GPA and a 22 AA.

Navy 4-year, 3.6, 21AA

I was waitlisted OML for 3 year ARMY HPSP. Is there any chance during these boards that I could be pushed up? I am contemplating calling around just to get my name in there. I want it really bad and thought I had decent stats but underestimated the competitiveness.

I just got a call from my Army recruiter and I was selected OML for HPSP 4-year. He said currently there are 20 individuals out of 65 slots that boarded for Army dental HPSP 4-year and we are ALL listed as OML currently in the system. He also said this happened last year and then my status was converted to professionally recommended the next week.

Reactions: 1 users
I just got a call from my Army recruiter and I was selected OML for HPSP 4-year. He said currently there are 20 individuals out of 65 slots that boarded for Army dental HPSP 4-year and we are ALL listed as OML currently in the system. He also said this happened last year and then my status was converted to professionally recommended the next week.
Only 20 boarded so far but army has already stopped accepting new application in December?

Something doesn't seem right lol

Only 20 boarded so far but army has already stopped accepting new application in December?

Something doesn't seem right lol

Seems odd right? This is literally what I was told. I don't think my recruiter would make that up and I have no reason to lie

For the Navy, basically yes. They aren't expecting to need a March board and the February board already happened/is happening soon.

Army had its first board January but they stopped taking applicants in December or November if I remember correctly.

Air Force has been done for half a year I feel like.

This is regarding 4 years. Beaverlover and NavyDDS are correct about the 3 years.
How do you know there's no March board? And does that mean they'll be selecting people from Dec-Feb boards only?

How certain is a person who is "professionally recommend" to be scrolled? I have been thinking about what my recruiter said as well as how he said it and I just wanted to know if this pretty much means I'm in or not.

Reactions: 1 users
How certain is a person who is "professionally recommend" to be scrolled? I have been thinking about what my recruiter said as well as how he said it and I just wanted to know if this pretty much means I'm in or not.

You can look back at previous year's threads but I think it's pretty solid. Good job

You can look back at previous year's threads but I think it's pretty solid. Good job

Thanks, I told my family already so I was just hoping I didn't jump the gun on this since I know nothing is completely official just yet.

Received Army 4-Year...never been so happy

So did your recruiter tell you that you officially had the scholarship or was it still pending scroll? My recruiter still won't say anything definitively.