C/O 2021 HPSP Thread (Army/AF/Navy)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just talked to the Navy recruiter about HPSP and he claimed that I'm unable to apply for the 3-year HPSP because they only take people that didn't get the 4-year HPSP. Is that true? I only question it because it seems like people get different answers from each recruiter and I could have sworn I've read about people applying for just the 3-year HPSP. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I just talked to the Navy recruiter about HPSP and he claimed that I'm unable to apply for the 3-year HPSP because they only take people that didn't get the 4-year HPSP. Is that true? I only question it because it seems like people get different answers from each recruiter and I could have sworn I've read about people applying for just the 3-year HPSP. Thanks!
If you're talking about UOP then many people have been able to attend on a 3-year scholarship. I believe they "converted" a 4-year to a 3-year when you decide to use the scholarship for UOP. Whatever the details are, many people go to UOP on a 3-year scholarship so your recruiter is probably incorrect unless things have changed.

If you're talking about UOP then many people have been able to attend on a 3-year scholarship. I believe they "converted" a 4-year to a 3-year when you decide to use the scholarship for UOP. Whatever the details are, many people go to UOP on a 3-year scholarship so your recruiter is probably incorrect unless things have changed.

No I'm simply talking about applying for a 3-year HPSP because I won't be able to get my completed application in within the next two days (their deadline). The recruiter claimed that they don't accept new applications for the 3-year HPSP, only people who applied for the 4-year and didn't get it. So I'm curious if that's true or not?

Members don't see this ad :)
No I'm simply talking about applying for a 3-year HPSP because I won't be able to get my completed application in within the next two days (their deadline). The recruiter claimed that they don't accept new applications for the 3-year HPSP, only people who applied for the 4-year and didn't get it. So I'm curious if that's true or not?
I feel like your recruiter is misinformed unless things have changed very recently

I feel like your recruiter is misinformed unless things have changed very recently

I'm assuming he's misinformed... He claimed they haven't been able to take applicants just for the 3-year HPSP for a while now

I think typically many of those spots are filled by 4-year waitlist candidates.

I heard recruiters say the same thing from last year too.

And two years ago too they were restricting applicants earlier than expected. But, some other offices were willing to continue working with students in case some spots do open up for board.

I got in! I was in the February board, and found out just now by a call from my recruiter.

Reactions: 4 users
Just got the call too! Awarded the Navy 4-Year HPSP. I was in the February boards.

Reactions: 2 users
What does it mean to be "professionally recommended"? Is this when the board meets and hey professionally recommend you

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Professionally recommended means that the board of dental officers recommends you for selection. In the end the decision is up to Navy Recruiting Command or PERS (one of the other, never really bothered to find out). It's rare for them to go against the board's recommendation.

Thank you! Anyone know how many 4year HPSP scholarships have been given out already? March board is the last one for this yesr

The army has already posted results from the only 4 year HPSP board this year. If you received it, the USAREC organization is obligated by UCMJ to contact you. That means it is not up to your recruiter. Once professionally recommended the list goes up to congress for a scroll to be produced and the funds are allocated for you. This process takes 2 months. And yes, the waiting game in the HPSP process is nothing compared to the regular army-if you want examples I have plenty.

The army has already posted results from the only 4 year HPSP board this year. If you received it, the USAREC organization is obligated by UCMJ to contact you. That means it is not up to your recruiter. Once professionally recommended the list goes up to congress for a scroll to be produced and the funds are allocated for you. This process takes 2 months. And yes, the waiting game in the HPSP process is nothing compared to the regular army-if you want examples I have plenty.

Are you saying that the results for the 4 year hpsp for the army is posted?

@vellnueve: I saw that earlier, and it actually gets better. I want to know how it is up to USAREC, (United States Army REcruiting Command) to inform you and not your recruiter, I mean he's is assigned there... I'm not even going to mention that the scroll goes nowhere near Congress but is approved by the Secretary of Defense.

Lol SECDEF doesn't approve the scroll himself, it's approved by the armed forces committee(congress)

@vellnueve: I saw that earlier, and it actually gets better. I want to know how it is up to USAREC, (United States Army REcruiting Command) to inform you and not your recruiter, I mean he's is assigned there... I'm not even going to mention that the scroll goes nowhere near Congress but is approved by the Secretary of Defense.

Your recruiter is a pawn in a large system (USAREC). He literally processes paperwork, doesn't make decisions. I got an email on my .mil account informing me. My recruiter called me a few days later

"Obligated by UCMJ"? I'd love to see the cite for that one...

USAREC Reg 601-105

This regulation I suppose applies only to Soldiers on active duty, but nonetheless it is a regulation, thus doctrine, thus law

Your recruiter is a pawn in a large system (USAREC). He literally processes paperwork, doesn't make decisions. I got an email on my .mil account informing me. My recruiter called me a few days later

I'm pretty sure USArmyHPSP knows more about this process.

Officer appointments and promotions go through SECDEF at which point results can be announced. Further routing to the President and Congress occurs but is a formality.

Last edited:
I've only commanded a Usarec medical recruiting station, but yeah whatever man

USAREC regs /= UCMJ

Oh you've got experience with UCMJ? I've taken pay via UCMJ FOR a soldier not shaving. In 2013 I started chapter on a recruiter for not following up with any of his recruits and basically skipping work. Yes, yes young sir regulations do equal UCMJ LOL

Oh you've got experience with UCMJ? I've taken pay via UCMJ FOR a soldier not shaving. In 2013 I started chapter on a recruiter for not following up with any of his recruits and basically skipping work. Yes, yes young sir regulations do equal UCMJ LOL

Is that all?

Get back to me when you've dealt with real misconduct.

Is that all?

Get back to me when you've dealt with real misconduct.

Does prosecuting an E4 for unlawfully killing of a nonenemy combatant in Afghanistan count? My point was that if I can use UCMJ for not shaving, I can certainly use UCMJ for not doing your job...I have, and it is on the commander to do so.

Does prosecuting an E4 for unlawfully killing of a nonenemy combatant in Afghanistan count? My point was that if I can use UCMJ for not shaving, I can certainly use UCMJ for not doing your job...I have, and it is on the commander to do so.

If you need to use UCMJ to back up your authority constantly like that then you're doing it wrong.

Anyways, done with this line of discussion as it is completely irrelevant to the topic at hand.

If you need to use UCMJ to back up your authority constantly like that then you're doing it wrong.

Anyways, done with this line of discussion as it is completely irrelevant to the topic at hand.
spoken like a true SAILOR haha

Really? Did u get the scholarship?
Just contacted my recruiter and he said that the scroll is not out yet

Yeah the scroll wont be produced for 2 more months(see prev.), and yes...I was professionally recommended for the scholarship.

Last edited:
It is a list of everyone who is seeking entry to the Armed Services as an officer along with a cover letter. Those who are coming in at the pay grade less than O-5 are sent to Sec Def and anyone who qualifies for the higher grades need congressional approval. It is literally a list that has last name, first name and last four of the social security number. It is forwarded to a personnel office at the Pentagon, where it is reviewed and I believe some sort of abbreviated background investigation may happen. After review at the personnel office of the Service involved, it is sent to the Secretary of Defense.

For those who do not believe that Sec Def sees each piece of paper, the Department of Defense Instruction 1310.02, Enclosure 3, 1 b. specifically states that the Sec Def will make all Reserve appointments (sign the scroll) and that it may not be delegated further down. This is what sometimes accounts for a hold-up. If there is a lag between one secretary leaving office and the congressional approval of the replacement, there is not mechanism that allows for a scroll to be signed in the interim.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone have any idea how my recruiter doesn't know the results from the February board, but other recruiters seem to know already???

It is a list of everyone who is seeking entry to the Armed Services as an officer along with a cover letter. Those who are coming in at the pay grade less than O-5 are sent to Sec Def and anyone who qualifies for the higher grades need congressional approval. It is literally a list that has last name, first name and last four of the social security number. It is forwarded to a personnel office at the Pentagon, where it is reviewed and I believe some sort of abbreviated background investigation may happen. After review at the personnel office of the Service involved, it is sent to the Secretary of Defense.

For those who do not believe that Sec Def sees each piece of paper, the Department of Defense Instruction 1310.02, Enclosure 3, 1 b. specifically states that the Sec Def will make all Reserve appointments (sign the scroll) and that it may not be delegated further down. This is what sometimes accounts for a hold-up. If there is a lag between one secretary leaving office and the congressional approval of the replacement, there is not mechanism that allows for a scroll to be signed in the interim.
I am looking at my reserve appointment, and it is a rubber stamp signature. Stop insisting the General Mattis is sitting there pen in hand, its rediculous.

I found out I was awarded the Navy 4 year HPSP. My recruiter says she will contact me with further details but I had a few questions maybe someone can answer.

1. Will I have to go through MEPS again?
2. When/ how long is the Officer training school we will have to go through

I found out I was awarded the Navy 4 year HPSP. My recruiter says she will contact me with further details but I had a few questions maybe someone can answer.

1. Will I have to go through MEPS again?
2. When/ how long is the Officer training school we will have to go through
If you have already been selected for the HPSP, I'm sure you are done with the MEPS unless some exceptional cases apply to you.
ODS is 5 weeks long and I'm sure you can request to attend the ODS whenever you have the time (while in school or after you graduate).

So my recruiter calls me and told me I received the Navy HPSP and congratulated me. About an hour later he called me and apologized for telling me I had received the scholarship and told me that I was only Professionally recommended . And he said from here I will either find out that I actually receive it or am an alternate. I don't know if I should feel worried or excited. If someone has some insight or more information that would be extremely helpful!

So my recruiter calls me and told me I received the Navy HPSP and congratulated me. About an hour later he called me and apologized for telling me I had received the scholarship and told me that I was only Professionally recommended . And he said from here I will either find out that I actually receive it or am an alternate. I don't know if I should feel worried or excited. If someone has some insight or more information that would be extremely helpful!
It means you are pretty much selected for the scholarship. I wouldn't worry too much as it's very rare to go against the recommendation.

It means you are pretty much selected for the scholarship. I wouldn't worry too much as it's very rare to go against the recommendation.
Do you know what happens between the professionally recommended and the offical selection? What is that decision based on and what would prevent me from being officially selected?

Do you know what happens between the professionally recommended and the offical selection? What is that decision based on and what would prevent me from being officially selected?
According to @vellnueve, "Professionally recommended means that the board of dental officers recommends you for selection. In the end the decision is up to Navy Recruiting Command or PERS (one of the other, never really bothered to find out). It's rare for them to go against the board's recommendation."

Reactions: 1 users
I heard from my recruiter on 2/17 that I was selected on the Navy HPSP February board. Can anyone that was selected on an earlier board tell me what the turn around time was after hearing to when they received their final selection docs.. I'd like to have it in writing before I tell the cheaper school no (but also hope it's before 4/1 when the next deposit is due)

Hello @NavyDDS1990
I can see that you are knowledgeable about the Navy HPSP (sine you have been accepted. Congrats).
I don't know if they already went to the last board (March 1st) but the thing is that my recruiter told me that they required the AYS form, yet I haven't been Thanks

Hello @NavyDDS1990
I can see that you are knowledgeable about the Navy HPSP (sine you have been accepted. Congrats).
I don't know if they already went to the last board (March 1st) but the thing is that my recruiter told me that they required the AYS form, yet I haven't been Thanks
Thanks!
It sounds incorrect that they are requiring you the AYS form. AYS is meant to be filled out by the dental school you will be attending (UFCD) once you are selected for the HPSP.
If there is a March board, every submission for your package has to be done BY March 1st.