C/O 2021 HPSP Thread (Army/AF/Navy)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I'm talking to a navy recruiter now who has been a recruiter since 2003 and he says there is no 3-year HPSP scholarship..it's actually s collegiate program. What are the benefits of this exactly? Do you still get the 20k bonus, 2200$ stipend monthly during school? Etc. I didn't get to ask him these details

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Did your recruiter say anything about the 4 year HPSP? My recruiter doesn't seem to know much about the process.

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm talking to a navy recruiter now who has been a recruiter since 2003 and he says there is no 3-year HPSP scholarship..it's actually s collegiate program. What are the benefits of this exactly? Do you still get the 20k bonus, 2200$ stipend monthly during school? Etc. I didn't get to ask him these details

No stipend, no bonus, no tuition/fees paid to school. Time in school counts towards a military retirement.

Last edited:
No stipend, no bonus, no tuition/fees paid to school. Time in school counts towards a military retirement.

You get paid as an E-6 in the military, and you get BAH/BAS. Look up military pay tables to see the exact amount, and enter your school zip code on the BAH calculator (found online) to see how much BAH you'll get.

Here is a good link:http://www.uwyo.edu/sfa/_files/docs/scholarship_apps/navy-medical-dental.docx

You are awesome! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm a 3rd year student in hscp program. Any questions let me know

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone know how long we have to officially accept the Navy HPSP scholarship before it is given to someone else?

Anyone know how long we have to officially accept the Navy HPSP scholarship before it is given to someone else?

Not sure on the timeline but last year I had to sign a document saying I rejected the scholarship before it was given to someone else. I believe it is yours until you sign it away.

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats!! I thought the 2nd board meeting would be in January. Have you been accepted to a school yet?
I heard that the December boards were pushed back to January as well. Maybe they hold separate boards for different regions of the country? That would make sense...

I have my interviews with Navy dentists coming up! Can anyone tell me their experience? Was it more stressful than a regular dental interview and did they grill you? Also do I wear the dress suit attire when I meet with them (most likely lol)

I have my interviews with Navy dentists coming up! Can anyone tell me their experience? Was it more stressful than a regular dental interview and did they grill you? Also do I wear the dress suit attire when I meet with them (most likely lol)

Dress code is formal just as you would do for dental school interviews. My interviews were conducted via Facetime and over the phone. They were very relaxed, no grilling. I was asked very typical and cliche questions. Be yourself, you will be fine!

I wore the same suit as my dental school interviews. For me it was very laid back and he just asked me why I wanted to join the navy etc...
I had 2 interviews (phone and in person)

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know when the next board meeting is? Feb or march?

My recruiter told me that the next board meeting is Feb 12. But he has given me wrong information for the past 8 months i've talked with him.

Just got the call, I was selected for the Navy 4-year HPSP scholarship AND 4-year HSCP! Whoohoo!

Reactions: 6 users
Congratulations! That is awesome! Were you a part of the January board?
I was! I was told the navy board was meeting on January 17th with my application included in that group. Still waiting to hear back from the Army 4-year HPSP (they are meeting today I believe?) and then it will come down to a tough choice!

Congrats! That must feel amazing to receive the scholarship! What are your stats?
Why thank you! My stats are not amazing, but I took a few ROTC courses in college because I always knew I wanted to do HPSP. Also I don't have any medical/background issues which I think plays a huge role in selection (those that need waivers versus those that don't). Anyways: BCP=3.01 Science=3.21 Overall=3.40 DAT AA=19

Reactions: 4 users
I just got the call from my recruiter and I received the 4 year Navy HPSP! So very excited and relieved about the cost of dental school!!!!

I just got the call from my recruiter and I received the 4 year Navy HPSP! So very excited and relieved about the cost of dental school!!!!

Congratulations and I can't even imagine how relieved you must be! Any word about if they offered all of the HPSP for Navy or not?

Received the 4 year scholarship! Only issue is I was informed I won't be able to convert it to a 3 year, and thus I can't use it for UoP. Guess I gotta rethink everything again lol

Just for curiosity, not regarding application… if there is national wide war happening( not as wide as the previous would war) Are we gonna be pulled as medics?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using SDN mobile

Just for curiosity, not regarding application… if there is national wide war happening( not as wide as the previous would war) Are we gonna be pulled as medics?

I'm not sure what is being asked here.

Dentists as medics? Really?

Mass casualty triage and PHTLS are part of our job.

I am currently serving in an IBCT (Army) and have been deployed with the Army 2 times.

The worst it will get for a Dentist is battlefield circulation where they will fly from combat outpost to combat outpost from the fob seeing soldiers who can't make it to the fob. The army has medics to do medic things (MOS 68W). Additionally, you aren't seen as a "medic" (68W), you are seen as an officer. Some commanders use dentists to help with operations and planning---things that have nothing to do with seeing patients.

I was notified yesterday my application status was changed to "Professionally Recommended" which I was told was, in essence, a conditional acceptance upon being accepted to dental school. I'm ecstatic!

Does anyone know how many 4 year HPSP are left?

Not as medics but it's not unprecedented for dentists to become surgeons in times of extreme need. Look up CPT. Ben Salomon, not only was he made a surgeon but he is also one of the few dentists to ever receive a Medal of Honor.

Why thank you! My stats are not amazing, but I took a few ROTC courses in college because I always knew I wanted to do HPSP. Also I don't have any medical/background issues which I think plays a huge role in selection (those that need waivers versus those that don't). Anyways: BCP=3.01 Science=3.21 Overall=3.40 DAT AA=19
When was your application submitted?

Accepted to Navy HPSP a few days ago! Anyone know when most dental students go through ODS? I would assume after D1 but my brother said there were some dentists there that did it after they graduated.

Accepted to Navy HPSP a few days ago! Anyone know when most dental students go through ODS? I would assume after D1 but my brother said there were some dentists there that did it after they graduated.
Yea, some people do it after they graduate, but I'm planning on doing my ODS after my D1

Also, does anyone know if the Navy pays for loupes too?

Also, does anyone know if the Navy pays for loupes too?
According to the 2014 HPSP Reimbursement List found through Google (insta-download, otherwise I would post link) Loupes are reimbursed once per career. Additional items include the dental kit listed by the individual school program as well as:
Aerodope

Articular case with facebow and accessories

Blades

Bush silent stones

Carbide lab bur #71E023

Casting crucible

Casting ring

Caulk/Densply Prolite

Cavijet

Cement spatula

Clinic cart

Denture teeth

Diamond burr cleaning stone

Diamond burr.

Digital Diagnostic Camera

DIGITAL WAX CARVING PENCIL WITH TIPS AND PENS

Disc kit (includes stand, box discs and mandrel)

Disposable Exam Gloves

Goggles

Gold crown thickness gauge

Impression trays

Lab coats

Lab knife handle

Loupes (surgical/magnification)

Loupes Light Attachement

Mandrel FG and sthp

Mixing pads

Occlusion balancer

Perma bond 910

Plaster knife #12

Plaster syringe

Plastic resin sheets

Plier #121

Plier #137

Plier, cotton

Porcelain kit

Probe, PCP 12

Regular Bur

Rubber base spatula

Rubber base syringe

Sable brushes

Separating Discs sgl and dbl sided

Soldering tweezers

Sonic scaler

Student casting kit

Student polishing kit (trustier, arbor chuck, brush wheel, arbor bands, soft brushes, 2" chamois wheel, 1-1/4" and 3" buffs, felt cones, stick rouge and stiff brushes)

Svedopter

Syringe anesthetic

Technique metal 32 dwt

Test teeth

Typodont

Utility scissors

Vac-U-Spat/Vac-U-Mixer Combo kit

Wax blue inlay

Wax burr

XCP instruments

However I do not know if you must actively be in service to be reimbursed for these items or if you can get them while still in school.

Last edited:
Is there anything ARMY HPSP pays for that NAVY HPSP doesn't? Or vice versa? So far it seems that the navy WILL NOT pay for a tablet rental which the army will. And both will pay for a computer rental up to $500/year. Does army hpsp pay for the national board dental examinations?