C/O 2021 HPSP Thread (Army/AF/Navy)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just heard from my Navy recruiter regarding the December boards. I have been professionally recommended for the Navy HPSP 4 year! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats!! I thought the 2nd board meeting would be in January. Have you been accepted to a school yet?

Thank you!! No, my recruiter let me know there was a December board. I just know that your app had to be submitted prior to Dec 1st to be considered for this month. I also believe the DAT 22+ was a requirement, but not completely sure. Yes I've been accepted, so I just have to submit the paperwork etc.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you!! No, my recruiter let me know there was a December board. I just know that your app had to be submitted prior to Dec 1st to be considered for this month. I also believe the DAT 22+ was a requirement, but not completely sure. Yes I've been accepted, so I just have to submit the paperwork etc.
Fantastic! Your future is all set! :)

Sent from my SM-N910V using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone know the status on 3-year Navy HPSP scholarships? Pretty sure I'm going to UoP and got started on all the paperwork last week, but want to know how good my chances are in terms of timing since I know I'm a little late to the game...

My recruiter said she hopes to have my whole app submitted for the January boards but I still haven't done MEPS or the interviews so unsure how likely that is

I heard from my Navy recruiter that second boards will take place on January 17th. Anyone else hear something similar?

For me, the line in the sand is 250k...if you are going to take on any less debt than that, do not go into the Army...take from someone who is already in.

FYI the Army HPSP board meets 24 JAN 17 for 4 yr HPSP, the application date, however is 10JAN for those of you trying to cut it close. I have attached the board schedule.

Attachments

• FY16-FY17 Board Schedule and Anticipated AOC Closure Timetable - as of 8JUL16 v1.pdf
    811.9 KB · Views: 97
What exactly is the "projection date"???
the board met and decided on the number of positions, regularly the army projects in the neighborhood of 50-65. Budget cuts are coming, and dental coverage is being restricted as the entire MEDAC is being revamped. I expected 55-60 at best, 40 at absolute worst.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone clarify if our recruiter needs reference information or actual letters of recommendation? Thank you.

Can someone clarify if our recruiter needs reference information or actual letters of recommendation? Thank you.

For the Navy, my recruiter needed 3 academic letters and one supervisor/employer letter. The reference had to fill out a form called the 370 and mail it to your recruiter.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

you need a letter of recommendation for specifically HPSP for the army answering why you'd be a great army dentist.

Reference info needed for background check (where you've lived etc. This is contact info only).

Last edited:
This wait for the army is really starting to get old. Anybody else waiting anxiously to just know what our future holds?

I heard from my Navy recruiter that second boards will take place on January 17th. Anyone else hear something similar?
Is this true? My Navy recruiter told me the next board is in February...

Is this true? My Navy recruiter told me the next board is in February...
If you scroll up the page, you can see that someone has already been given a spot on HPSP from the Navy's December board.
If that is true, third board meeting in Feb. doesn't sound too odd to me.

you'll wait 9 months on promotion then 3 more to pin in the army....the HPSP board is like lightning comparatively

If you scroll up the page, you can see that someone has already been given a spot on HPSP from the Navy's December board.
If that is true, third board meeting in Feb. doesn't sound too odd to me.
I just take what my recruiter said with a grain of salt ever since he told me a few days ago that no 4 year HPSP scholarships have been given out yet lol

I just take what my recruiter said with a grain of salt ever since he told me a few days ago that no 4 year HPSP scholarships have been given out yet lol
A few people on SDN including myself were given 4 year HPSP already. I don't know what your recruiter is talking about.

Sent from my SM-N910V using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Hi! I am very interested in the HPSP and just got accepted into dental school dec 1. My husband is an officer in the Marines and we think this would be a great opportunity for us both. I have heard the 4year scholarships are pretty much gone from all the dental schools I've interviewed at but when should I get in touch with a recruiter if I don't start my first year until this July?

Your post states:

"When should I apply?
For the four year scholarship, contact a recruiter no later than June of your application cycle year.
For the three year scholarship, contact a recruiter during the summer you matriculate into D1. Or rollover from a wait list the previous year."

If I am interested in the three year scholarship, does that mean I should contact a recruiter this summer if 2017 (in a few months) or would it be better to contact them now?

Any help would be very appreciated! Thank you so much!

Hi! I am very interested in the HPSP and just got accepted into dental school dec 1. My husband is an officer in the Marines and we think this would be a great opportunity for us both. I have heard the 4year scholarships are pretty much gone from all the dental schools I've interviewed at but when should I get in touch with a recruiter if I don't start my first year until this July?

Your post states:

"When should I apply?
For the four year scholarship, contact a recruiter no later than June of your application cycle year.
For the three year scholarship, contact a recruiter during the summer you matriculate into D1. Or rollover from a wait list the previous year."

If I am interested in the three year scholarship, does that mean I should contact a recruiter this summer if 2017 (in a few months) or would it be better to contact them now?

If you want 4-year HPSP - contact your recruiter ASAP, right now. You might still have a chance.
If you want 3-year HPSP - You still have a plenty of time. I would contact the recruiter in the summer (around May-June).

Personally, I would contact the recruiter NOW and get your applications done ASAP since people that are not selected for 4-year HPSP will be put on the waitlist and get the priority of 3-year HPSP for the following cycle.

If you want 4-year HPSP - contact your recruiter ASAP, right now. You might still have a chance.
If you want 3-year HPSP - You still have a plenty of time. I would contact the recruiter in the summer (around May-June).

Personally, I would contact the recruiter NOW and get your applications done ASAP since people that are not selected for 4-year HPSP will be put on the waitlist and get the priority of 3-year HPSP for the following cycle.

Awesome! Thank you for our help

For the Navy, my recruiter needed 3 academic letters and one supervisor/employer letter. The reference had to fill out a form called the 370 and mail it to your recruiter.

Does everyone applying for navy HPSP need 3 recommendations or is that if you're still waiting for an acceptance into school? Bc my recruiter said I needed letters but then took it back saying "oh but you already got in, correct?"

Does everyone applying for navy HPSP need 3 recommendations or is that if you're still waiting for an acceptance into school? Bc my recruiter said I needed letters but then took it back saying "oh but you already got in, correct?"

I was told I needed three and I have a couple of acceptances

My recruiter contacted me today, he said that the Army is going to boards early and that I made that one. Apparently they are reviewing applications now. I don't know if they just pushed it up or if there will still be another board in two weeks. Has anyone else heard about this?

Your post states:

"When should I apply?

Now.

I was told I needed three and I have a couple of acceptances

I keep asking my recruiter via email but his answers have not been clear. Is it one employment reference and two professors/ instructors or can we get any combo of LORs?

I keep asking my recruiter via email but his answers have not been clear. Is it one employment reference and two professors/ instructors or can we get any combo of LORs?

You need at least two professor LOR and the third can be either an employer, instructor or character reference.

My Navy recruiter told me yesterday that the board is already meeting.

My Navy recruiter told me yesterday that the board is already meeting.
When did your recruiter tell you was the deadline to have your kit finished by? Last month my recruiter told me the next board is in February and the next deadline is Jan 18th.

When did your recruiter tell you was the deadline to have your kit finished by? Last month my recruiter told me the next board is in February and the next deadline is Jan 18th.
I was told early January. I believe I was finished right before Dec 20

I have not heard that Army is going to boards early....Id be surprised although USAREC is a separate entity from Human Resources Command so not out of the question at all

Anybody know when we're suppose to hear back from the Navy? I know we were boarded on the first week of January

My undergraduate gpa was a 3.3, but my grad gpa is a 4.0.
Does anyone know how the board sees this?

Also, I have spoken to some people who have gotten an HSPS dental, and one said that they didn't get accepted for a scholarship until after they had already started dental school. Any idea how this could be?

They come down with an OML and a scroll. It's essentially a wait list....

My undergraduate gpa was a 3.3, but my grad gpa is a 4.0.
Does anyone know how the board sees this?

Also, I have spoken to some people who have gotten an HSPS dental, and one said that they didn't get accepted for a scholarship until after they had already started dental school. Any idea how this could be?
As far as what I know, they do take the academic maturity into account while evaluating your application. The general idea is, if you're good enough to get into dental school, you're good enough to get the scholarship

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know if there will be another board after the upcoming February board? I have been waitlisted at two schools, so I don't think it is likely that I will be submitted for the February board. Also, if I did not get into school this cycle and I reapply to dental school, would I have to redo every step of the HPSP in order to apply for it, or would everything I have already completed carry over? Sorry for all of the questions, I just want to get a jump start on everything in case things don't work out this cycle.

Does anyone know if there will be another board after the upcoming February board? I have been waitlisted at two schools, so I don't think it is likely that I will be submitted for the February board. Also, if I did not get into school this cycle and I reapply to dental school, would I have to redo every step of the HPSP in order to apply for it, or would everything I have already completed carry over? Sorry for all of the questions, I just want to get a jump start on everything in case things don't work out this cycle.
Your HPSP MEPS physical is good for 2 years. You will have to resubmit updated transcripts and update some paperwork but it will not be nearly as tedious. There isn't too much that can be done to prepare for this up until the point of resubmission however.

There is a board meeting each month for navy. Just spoke to my recruiter yesterday.

So I'm talking to a navy recruiter now who has been a recruiter since 2003 and he says there is no 3-year HPSP scholarship..it's actually s collegiate program. What are the benefits of this exactly? Do you still get the 20k bonus, 2200$ stipend monthly during school? Etc. I didn't get to ask him these details