C/O 2021 HPSP Thread (Army/AF/Navy)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah it's been pretty quiet here. My recruiter said last year they had results on November 21st, but yeah, sometime before Thanksgiving was the best estimate I was given.
yea, but considering that the first board meeting last year was in October, Nov. 21st sounds pretty late tho. Anyway keeping my fingers crossed for myself and everyone else here!

Members don't see this ad.

yea, but considering that the first board meeting last year was in October, Nov. 21st sounds pretty late tho. Anyway keeping my fingers crossed for myself and everyone else here!
Huh, maybe he just meant the results from the November board.

Those applying to the army- Do we have to take the OPAT to finish our application for HPSP?

Members don't see this ad :)
Those applying to the army- Do we have to take the OPAT to finish our application for HPSP?

I'm a first year HPSP student but you take your OPAT shortly after getting notified of an HPSP acceptance.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm a first year HPSP student but you take your OPAT shortly after getting notified of an HPSP acceptance.

Ok, My recruiter is saying I need it beforehand so I'll probably just get it done!

Goodluck to all of you waiting to hear back from the November board! Also, is there a word limit for the motivational statement?

Goodluck to all of you waiting to hear back from the November board! Also, is there a word limit for the motivational statement?

Yes.

Last edited:
Prior to board? Dang sorry for the misinformation. The OPAT was brand new for our year so I had to take it right after receiving the scholarship. So it must be different now.

Spoke to recruiter, and was told OPAT needed prior to board as well. Some applicants may be grandfather'd in since they changed it recently...?

Prior to board? Dang sorry for the misinformation. The OPAT was brand new for our year so I had to take it right after receiving the scholarship. So it must be different now.

What's the OPAT?

Last edited:
Is there anyone applying for the AF HPSP for medical school on here. Is this timeline for applying the same with dental student?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Spoke to recruiter, and was told OPAT needed prior to board as well. Some applicants may be grandfather'd in since they changed it recently...?
They also said we don't necessarily need to pass it we just need to take it. Did you hear this too? I'm hoping it's not too intense..@jyee19 can you give any details on what it was like?

They also said we don't necessarily need to pass it we just need to take it. Did you hear this too? I'm hoping it's not too intense..@jyee19 can you give any details on what it was like?

Sure mine was at a recruiting station with two newly enlisted (not commissioned) Future Soldiers. We had to do 4 events total and for 3 of them we had like 3 chances to record our best. We were given the impression that we had to pass. First event was like a standing long jump. Not too bad. The second was sitting straight against a wall and throwing a weighted exercise ball. It was like a chest pass with a heavy basketball. Third was a dead lift starting with 120 pounds and eventually getting to about 200. One of the soldiers barely passed that. It's heavy if you're not somewhat physically fit. Last one was the toughest by far. The website listed pretty much summed it up because a it's kind of hard to explain.

"the "Interval Aerobic Run," always performed last, is designed to assess aerobic capacity. The test is similar to what is commonly referred to as the "Beep Test." The evaluation involves running "shuttles" or laps between two designated points that are spaced 20 meters apart. The running pace is synchronized with "beeps," produced by a loud speaker, at specific intervals. As the test progresses, the time between beeps gets shorter, requiring recruits to run faster in order to complete the shuttle. Recruits are scored by the level they reach and the number of shuttles they complete."

Whole thing lasted about 1.5 hours.

Id say the best part about it was actually being called Officer or 2LT (last name) for the first time ever. Haha but it looks like your situation is different if you have to take it before receiving the scholarship.

Good luck! It was definitely doable if you've worked out at least a couple times in college lol

Last edited:
Sure mine was at a recruiting station with two newly enlisted (not commissioned) Future Soldiers. We had to do 4 events total and for 3 of them we had like 3 chances to record our best. We were given the impression that we had to pass. First event was like a standing long jump. Not too bad. The second was sitting straight against a wall and throwing a weighted exercise ball. It was like a chest pass with a heavy basketball. Third was a dead lift starting with 120 pounds and eventually getting to about 200. One of the soldiers barely passed that. It's heavy if you're not somewhat physically fit. Last one was the toughest by far. The website listed pretty much summed it up because a it's kind of hard to explain.

"the "Interval Aerobic Run," always performed last, is designed to assess aerobic capacity. The test is similar to what is commonly referred to as the "Beep Test." The evaluation involves running "shuttles" or laps between two designated points that are spaced 20 meters apart. The running pace is synchronized with "beeps," produced by a loud speaker, at specific intervals. As the test progresses, the time between beeps gets shorter, requiring recruits to run faster in order to complete the shuttle. Recruits are scored by the level they reach and the number of shuttles they complete."

Whole thing lasted about 1.5 hours.

Id say the best part about it was actually being called Officer or 2LT (last name) for the first time ever. Haha but it looks like your situation is different if you have to take it before receiving the scholarship.

Good luck! It was definitely doable if you've worked out at least a couple times in college lol

Thank you! Hopefully the girl standard is a little lighter on the deadlifts lol but otherwise I don't think it'll be too bad!

I was wondering if anyone knew how long after accepting the scholarship for the navy we are suppose to receive the 20k bonus?

I was wondering if anyone knew how long after accepting the scholarship for the navy we are suppose to receive the 20k bonus?

I heard you receive it in three increments after you start dental school so not until after you start within the first two months you should receive everything.

Thank you! Hopefully the girl standard is a little lighter on the deadlifts lol but otherwise I don't think it'll be too bad!

You are right- the requirements for females will be lower than the requirements for males, based on current PFT passing requirements.

For the 22-26 age group, females need to do 11 push-ups to pass. Males need to do 31.
For the same age group, females get 20:36 to run 2 miles. Males get 17:30.

Last edited:
Just got off the phone with my recruiter... I've been professionally recommended!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Just got off the phone with my recruiter... I've been professionally recommended!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Congratulations, sir!
Navy?

You are right- the requirements for females will be lower than the requirements for males, based on current PFT passing requirements.

For the 22-26 age group, females need to do 11 push-ups to pass. Males need to do 31.
For the same age group, females get 20:36 to run 2 miles. Males get 17:30.
I know for the PFT there are, but I am not sure how they run it or what passing requirements are for the OPAT.

I heard you receive it in three increments after you start dental school so not until after you start within the first two months you should receive everything.

I started school on July 25 and received it in late September along with tuition payment. For the bonus it's 3 increments but it's all taxed so the numbers really add up to around 15k.

Reactions: 1 user
Got the 4 year Navy scholarship today (contingent on an acceptance).

Got the 4 year Navy scholarship today (contingent on an acceptance).

CONGRATS Fets. I know you've been working towards this for a long time, and I just want to say: you're going to be an excellent Navy Officer and Dentist! Your future is set!!!!

The hard battle- getting the HPSP- is won. Now, the dental school acceptances will fall in line.

Happy Thanksgiving, brother :)

CONGRATS Fets. I know you've been working towards this for a long time, and I just want to say: you're going to be an excellent Navy Officer and Dentist! Your future is set!!!!

The hard battle- getting the HPSP- is won. Now, the dental school acceptances will fall in line.

Happy Thanksgiving, brother :)
It's a great feeling! My life just changed so much. Happy Thanksgiving to you too!

Reactions: 1 user
Only "Professionally Recommended" results are out. Final Select letter doesn't come until after the professionally recommended candidates submit the Academic Year Statement + Letter of Acceptance, pass the background check, and complete the scrolling process.
So I guess not everyone heard back today regarding the "Professionally Recommended" result? I am wondering why that is

My experience is that anyone who's been professionally recommended would enter the system the same time. It's just a matter of your recruiter logging into the system to see if your name is there or not. Given that it's the holidays I would give it a few days.

So I guess not everyone heard back today regarding the "Professionally Recommended" result? I am wondering why that is

Thanksgiving maybe?

Last edited:
When is the second set of boards scheduled for and do they have the same DAT requirments?

When is the second set of boards scheduled for and do they have the same DAT requirments?
My recruiter said the next board will be in January. No, the DAT requirement will not be in effect, but they said if you have a 22+ DAT they will be looking and making a decision on your application first.

Does anyone know the soonest someone accepted for the Army HPSP could begin with the training (DCC and BOLC)?

Does anyone know the soonest someone accepted for the Army HPSP could begin with the training (DCC and BOLC)?
The class dates are on the atrrs.army.mil website which is fully accessible - with key words in the search Direct Commission. Here are the Active AMEDD DCC reporting and end dates
12 Feb 2017 ... 13 Mar
11 Jun 2017 ... 10 Jul
5 July 2017 ... 2 Aug
10 Sep 2017 ... 7 Oct
Edit: Here is the 3 week version of the DCC
19 Mar ... 9 Apr
21 May ... 11 June
6 Aug ... 27 Aug

Here are the AMEDD BOLC dates
HPSP BOLC 10 June ... 22 July
AMEDD BOLC
8 Jan ... 3 Mar
14 Mar ... 5 May
11 Jul ... 1 Sep
27 Aug ... 20 Oct

I have no idea how or when HPSP Dental Students are slotted for classes.

Last edited:
Anyone know what happens after the Navy selects you?

Hey everyone! I know I'm super duper late to apply, but I think I'm going to apply to the Navy HPSP program (hoping 4 years). I've left a message with my recruiter, but he hasn't gotten back to me yet. For those of you that know what the application looks like/entails, im wondering if there is anything I can/should get started on before he gets back to me. Thanks for your help!!

Hey everyone! I know I'm super duper late to apply, but I think I'm going to apply to the Navy HPSP program (hoping 4 years). I've left a message with my recruiter, but he hasn't gotten back to me yet. For those of you that know what the application looks like/entails, im wondering if there is anything I can/should get started on before he gets back to me. Thanks for your help!!
Work on your motivational statement! "Why do you want to join the Navy as a Dental Corps Officer?", I believe was the prompt. Good luck!

From my experience, trying to rush your recruiter into getting you to the boards is really tough. Unfortunately there's not much you can work on except maybe transcripts and personal statement!

From my experience, trying to rush your recruiter into getting you to the boards is really tough. Unfortunately there's not much you can work on except maybe transcripts and personal statement!

Also you need 3 letters of recommendation from a science/math professor.

Does anyone have any thoughts on Army HPSP vs Navy HPSP?

Does anyone have any thoughts on Army HPSP vs Navy HPSP?
I would go with Navy HPSP if you have good enough stats. I heard Army is already filled up and will not be taking any more new applications anyway. I believe the next board meeting for the Navy is in January, so you should get everything submitted by Jan. 1st