Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
:thumbup: :D

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is phenomenal insight! Greatly appreciated!
I would love to ask you a few questions. If I could, here they are:
1. What drew you to this institution?
2. Now that you're a student, is (your answer to no. 1 here) everything you had thought it would be?
3. Now as a student, if any, what has been your greatest obstacle thus far (related to this school)?

1. honestly i found last yrs secondary questions intriguing and actually don't mind writing a creative piece but am really into stream of conscious thought - so 'scuse the grammar/run-ons. it was the first secondary i received (3rd time reapplicant with last application cycle 5 yrs ago- i took a detour to grad school) having submitted practically the earliest day i could (within same week as application opening). i didnt know what at all to expect but happened to get the first available interview date and on to las cruces i went. when i drove into town it was right before sunset so i got the best views of nmsu with mtns in the background and my interview day went well but was waitlisted then after emailing the dean was accepted within a week of the interview. the energy of the staff (marlene from finaid and dr. arana plus my interviewers were awesome). finally i joined the bcom fb page to meet students and they've all been enthusiastic and super helpful - not so on some other accepted student pages im on. read that as im sure all the students everywhere are cool but i wanted to at least feel like i was going some place with ppl i can talk to/hold a decent conversation with. in the end its a personal choice and a hard one for me bc i actually liked all the schools i interviewed and was accepted to and can see myself thriving at all of them so my pros and cons came down to overall feel - where would i feel happiest (fit, feel, faculty, curriculum, students, rotations, mission -search for my extensive posts on last year's thread). i will say i was rather close in choosing another school but i went with initial gut feeling

2. not applicable right now but the pre-matriculation courses have been ok. what i like most is how receptive the faculty is to our input and interests and the willingness of staff to change things or at the very least attempt to work with us on things like our laptop choice, supplies/equipment, white coat ceremony accommodations

3. financial aid was a huge con and near deal breaker when considering schools for me having gone to grad school and started paying on loans for that already (if you get in pm for more details but you can negotiate with the lenders and leverage offers from different lenders to get the best rate), buying health insurance (so much easier when this stuff came with work), and for me ive a large dog so this may be interesting getting him to nm and so far ive no luck with securing a roommate as prior plans fell through...also suddenly giving up a steady income >_<

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Admissions told me that after you submit your secondary, you should hear back in about a week and a half about an interview. IDK, that sounded odd to me.

Admissions told me that after you submit your secondary, you should hear back in about a week and a half about an interview. IDK, that sounded odd to me.

Apparently I think it's abt more than a week now

Ok I guess we just keep waiting.

"Please provide us with a video of no more than 2 minutes duration that will help us understand you better. Alternatively, you may provide a written statement of no more than 500 words or submit a physical exhibit (art piece, music, sculpture, etc.) to the BCOM Admissions Office. To submit the video, please paste into the box below a valid YouTube video URL created by yourself. The video will need to be marked Public or Public not listed. It cannot be marked as Private. Exhibit should be sent to: 3501 Arrowhead Drive Las Cruces, NM 88001. Note that all material submitted is property of BCOM and will not be returned."
Just received a secondary!! There was no prompt for the written statement, could this be potentially anything we want to write about?

"Help understand you better". Your choice. Elaborate on passions/ambitions/your qualities that make you compatible with BCOM, and additionally, perhaps, why they should pick you.

Just my thoughts.

Reactions: 2 users
If you click on the written statement options a prompt appears

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)

A lot of people are weary of the fact that BCOM has a turnaround time faster than Taylor Swift changes boyfriends. The thing about BCOM is that they too do not like to sit around and wait for decisions to be made, especially while the staff has yet to even start their first year at BCOM. They have a lot to do, but until next year they don't even come close to what a normal functioning medical school has to deal with as far asscheduling meetings and admissions decisions,etc. I loved this about BCOM.

"Help understand you better". Your choice. Elaborate on passions/ambitions/your qualities that make you compatible with BCOM, and additionally, perhaps, why they should pick you.

Just my thoughts.

Thank you! I guess it just didn't click at first!

II JUST NOW! Guys I am dead.

Reactions: 7 users
Nope, my letters and app complete are still not green checks. But I emailed admissions and he said if letters are with AACOMAS, they have them, and the portal does not automatically update. He said when you submit your app and pay the fee, you will hear back usually in 1-1.5 weeks!

I also did not receive a "complete" email.

I did not receive a complete email either. Invite was sent through email!

Reactions: 1 users
I'm Canadian! You?
And dates available were Aug 22, 26, 29

Friendly reminder, Air bnb set up if you guys want, PM if you want. Good luck everyone! Can't wait to see y'all on campus!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

How did you find out email or call?

Do y'all have a specific interview time? My email just says that the interview period is from 8:30am to 1pm.

Ok congrats! Do you mind sharing stats ?
Sure! Slight nontrad (graduated college 2014), 3.2 cGPA, 3.0 sGPA, 3.9 SMP GPA, 502 MCAT. I have a lot of work with underserved, low income populations, if that matters.

Sure! Slight nontrad (graduated college 2014), 3.2 cGPA, 3.0 sGPA, 3.9 SMP GPA, 502 MCAT. I have a lot of work with underserved, low income populations, if that matters.
Thanks for sharing. Good luck with interview

Can someone explain where to find the essay prompt? When I click written statement nothing comes up.

Do y'all have a specific interview time? My email just says that the interview period is from 8:30am to 1pm.

They split it up into two groups when I went. One group immediately started while we took the long tour, then came back and swapped. They told us what group we were in once we got there. I remember they were really good about what group you went in if you needed to leave for a flight back in El Paso. I believe I was done by noon

They split it up into two groups when I went. One group immediately started while we took the long tour, then came back and swapped. They told us what group we were in once we got there. I remember they were really good about what group you went in if you needed to leave for a flight back in El Paso. I believe I was done by noon

Just out of curiosity, did you recognize any of the people accepted later on from your interview day?

Just out of curiosity, did you recognize any of the people accepted later on from your interview day?

Yep, I still chat with someone that interviewed in the room next door to the one I interviewed in. Really cool person.

Oh awesome. Thanks man!

Waiting to hear back from the schools and no work on monday ahahahaah and those schools will not work on monday either.
dude. have a drink. relax at the pool. watch some fireworks. read a book. enjoy your break. weekends off will be few and far between soon enough.

Reactions: 3 users
Is it odd that school has an acceptance policy of 30 days? Seems odd to me.

It's very limiting I think.
Yeah, I am very worried about that, especially since my interview is so early in the cycle. Not to mention that $3,000 deposit to hold your seat. Makes me think I might have to start selling plasma soon :(

Yeah, I am very worried about that, especially since my interview is so early in the cycle. Not to mention that $3,000 deposit to hold your seat. Makes me think I might have to start selling plasma soon :(
That's very true. If getting an interview, I wonder if it's even worth it to go? Do schools normally offer extensions?