Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes, I would make the link private, though, and only viewable to those provided with the exact URL address.
It says you can't make it private

Members don't see this ad.

Hey now hey now. We didn't all want the surface book. That was the most popular option other than MacBook Pro lol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Received their secondary today. Debating between the video and the written essay. I feel like the video would be so awkward though?! Any thoughts from people who chose the video submission??

Received their secondary today. Debating between the video and the written essay. I feel like the video would be so awkward though?! Any thoughts from people who chose the video submission??

I tried to do the video, and it was awkward haha. So I decided to write an essay instead. I'm not a socially awkward person, but I don't think I can do the video without someone who actually sit in front and having a conversation with me, I'm more comfortable that way.

I tried to do the video, and it was awkward haha. So I decided to write an essay instead. I'm not a socially awkward person, but I don't think I can do the video without someone who actually sit in front and having a conversation with me, I'm more comfortable that way.
The video is good if you can pull it off by good editing, etc. If not, essay is better

Hey now hey now. We didn't all want the surface book. That was the most popular option other than MacBook Pro lol

Yeah I second this. I did not vote Surface Book. Although I think the staff had it in them from the start that they were going to use Windows based PC's.

Serious question: any know of any free software to create/edit videos? Maybe an online tool. All I have is Movie Maker which is pretty bad/useless.

Serious question: any know of any free software to create/edit videos? Maybe an online tool. All I have is Movie Maker which is pretty bad/useless.
I used iMovie on my Mac and it worked so seamlessly! YouTube also has a decent video editor.

Yeah I second this. I did not vote Surface Book. Although I think the staff had it in them from the start that they were going to use Windows based PC's.

Pretty sure almost all of us would have preferred a MacBook.

Reactions: 1 user

If the video is going to be awkward, I would imagine the interview would be too. Get a friend to hold the camera so you're talking TO someone, or shoot it at an angle.

If the video is going to be awkward, I would imagine the interview would be too. Get a friend to hold the camera so you're talking TO someone, or shoot it at an angle.

Making a video by yourself talking to no one is completely different than an interview and having a conversation so no, don't think so.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Pretty sure almost all of us would have preferred a MacBook.

Did you guys get to vote on the poll we had up? I agree I think the school wanted to use Windows. I think the original plan was a Dell (blegh). But I got a used MBP 2012 for like $500 a couple years ago and my wife a 12 or 13 Mac air for about $450 I think and they work great. One Craigslist and one eBay

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Did you guys get to vote on the poll we had up? I agree I think the school wanted to use Windows. I think the original plan was a Dell (blegh). But I got a used MBP 2012 for like $500 a couple years ago and my wife a 12 or 13 Mac air for about $450 I think and they work great. One Craigslist and one eBay

Oh yeah man I voted. But it was after I knew they said we had to have PC. Surface book was the best option I saw. I have a MacBook but I will probably try to get used to the Book. I've seen some awesome videos on how pictures can be integrated into notes pretty easily. Looking forward to using it.

after I knew they said we had to have PC. Surface book was the best option I saw. I have a MacBook but I will probably try to get used to the Book.

Same.

Even with all my LORs and my MCAT sent to AACOMAS. Can someone explain while my status in the BCOM supplemental application is incomplete for the MCAT and LOR. Thanks

^wondering the same thing. I emailed them and they said "it should be okay then!", and that if they don't contact you within a few weeks with an interview decision to contact them.

^wondering the same thing. I emailed them and they said "it should be okay then!", and that if they don't contact you within a few weeks with an interview decision to contact them.

Well I am going to call them tomorrow.

Is there anyone else that any insight about this?

Even with all my LORs and my MCAT sent to AACOMAS. Can someone explain while my status in the BCOM supplemental application is incomplete for the MCAT and LOR. Thanks
Takes time to process. Also, AACOMAS had issues with their new system last year. There's not really a way to handle the MCAT, but you can always use Interfolio and submit LOR's direct to BCOM.

Takes time to process. Also, AACOMAS had issues with their new system last year. There's not really a way to handle the MCAT, but you can always use Interfolio and submit LOR's direct to BCOM.
Thank you.

Haven't received a secondary yet and got the primary email monday, should i be worried?

Is there anyone else with this problem. What did you guys do to solve it? Thanks

Is there anyone else with this problem. What did you guys do to solve it? Thanks
Nothing to do. Those boxes don't automatically update, and the way the admissions coordinator talked to me, they may not at all. My application is complete (they told me this) and my boxes still say this.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

Nothing to do. Those boxes don't automatically update, and the way the admissions coordinator talked to me, they may not at all. My application is complete (they told me this) and my boxes still say this.

Yes I emailed her and she told me the same. Good luck my friend .

for the part of the question that asks what you would bring to the climate of the school? Is it sufficent to say things like how your experiences made you a more compassionate team-player and this is something you will bring to the table?

for the part of the question that asks what you would bring to the climate of the school? Is it sufficent to say things like how your experiences made you a more compassionate team-player and this is something you will bring to the table?
Where is this question? Or are you prepping for interviews?

Cater your experiences to the mission

Most schools are big on being a team player, more specifically a team LEADER. Just make sure that you're not sounding like a cliche. What is different about YOU? What makes YOU stand out relative to everyone else? There's plenty of time to highlight things like being compassionate, being a team player, being a good leader. What unique and individual traits/experiences do you have that will contribute to the diversity of the student body? How do these unique factors intersect with the direction that BCOM is taking in the community and the south west?

This same concept applies to ANY application. I'm not saying you're going a bad direction, it just doesn't really address what I think programs are looking for when they ask a question like that. From personal experience the faculty is interested in the students. They want to get to know us, and they take our unique backgrounds into consideration. That's pretty incredible.

What I do for mine is I stated that my background makes me the person who I am now, how the experiences taught you think about the world, and make you more passionate about the profession. Also address what you learned from the challenges in the past because what you learned = your trait.

What direction did you guys take their secondary question? It's so vague. I'm not sure if they want to know about like, my life or why I'm choosing medicine as a career.

Honestly man, they arent going to judge you on video editing skills, i wouldnt sweat it, just make it look clean and same for you and your attire. Be personal. Talk about things you are passionate about and why you like the area/school. Thats what i did. Mine was a single stationary standing shot.

Reactions: 3 users
Honestly man, they arent going to judge you on video editing skills, i wouldnt sweat it, just make it look clean and same for you and your attire. Be personal. Talk about things you are passionate about and why you like the area/school. Thats what i did. Mine was a single stationary standing shot.

Agree, mine for sure wasn't fancy. Just be honest and let your personality shine!

I honestly did not see the essay prompt. Where was that?

I honestly did not see the essay prompt. Where was that?

It wasn't really a prompt. You can make a 2 min video so they can "understand you better" or write an essay instead of the video. You can also send them artwork if you're into that.

It wasn't really a prompt. You can make a 2 min video so they can "understand you better" or write an essay instead of the video. You can also send them artwork if you're into that.

Yea I saw all of that . But I just didn't see what the essay was all about.

I'm curious as to what would be a passable art exhibit. I'm half tempted to try, being the artsy type.

I'm curious as to what would be a passable art exhibit. I'm half tempted to try, being the artsy type.

Perhaps this will give you some inspiration. I'm no artist by any means (bad at stick figures) and this is a pro, but I thought it'd be cool to share with you guys. I wonder if they'd exhibit you guys art work. That'd be really cool. Anyways, here's a commission for BCOM
ImageUploadedBySDN1467118539.910531.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Perhaps this will give you some inspiration. I'm no artist by any means (bad at stick figures) and this is a pro, but I thought it'd be cool to share with you guys. I wonder if they'd exhibit you guys art work. That'd be really cool. Anyways, here's a commission for BCOM View attachment 205597

I can't even draw a proper benzene ring lol never mind that