Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So in terms of being the third author. My advice is this:

You will have the opportunity to send update letters and information. (So...you could always send the paper later, OR mention it on your CV as it should be there already. There are ample opportunities to bring this to the table). I would suggest giving them a view they won't see anywhere else on your application.

I look at the application process, and each leg of it, as trying to get as much bang for your buck as possible. Use every opportunity to give them more information so you paint a complete picture.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

That's what I was thinking as well. Thank you! :)

Really want to do a video but have no camera. Lol. By the way, did the instructions said to upload video to youtube and copy a link?

Members don't see this ad :)
Really want to do a video but have no camera. Lol. By the way, did the instructions said to upload video to youtube and copy a link?
Yes, I would make the link private, though, and only viewable to those provided with the exact URL address.

Hello to all those applying! I'm part of the inaugural class and I wanted to drop in and leave some advice/info for those applying this cycle. Though it seems like it was forever ago, I was in your shoes and so I understand your stress and anticipation. That being said, try to relax as much as possible and still enjoy life. Most of you already finished the crazy beast that is the MCAT and you're so close to the next step, acceptance to med school.

So this is definitely a school that's driven by a specific mission. Make sure you know what that is and if this school fits YOUR desires. It's as much of an interview for them as it is for you. You'll spend a significant chunk of cash wherever you end up (unless it's a dirt cheap state school, in which case I envy you), so make sure that you're 100% comfortable with YOUR decision. I emphasize you, because on these forums, and your life in general, people will steer you a certain way with their comments and opinions. That's not always a negative thing but remember, at the end of the day the person who has to be happy and comfortable with the outcome is you.

Our initial class is full of some really phenomenal, kind, funny, caring people. Luckily I've had the chance to meet a handful of them in person and so I make this comment with that knowledge and also from what I've seen on our FB page. I don't get any sense of people being cut throat towards each other or mean spirited in any way. We are the polar opposite of that and already, before class has even started, we've been proactive in helping each other out. I'm bringing this up because it's the culture that you'll potentially be entering into. I personally despise people who put others down or gloat about their success in order to make others feel bad so our culture is something that really really makes me happy. It's nice to know that my colleagues are people that I can learn and grow with, comfortably.

Las Cruces is beautiful! I came from upstate NY so it was a major change, but I can tell you that after being here for 2.5 months I'm loving it. It's a great area because of the cultural mix of people, the abundance of outdoor activities, and the FOOD! The people here are super friendly. The community itself is growing and already live with local events like Farmer's markets, art shows, doggy events, etc. It's sunny every day (super mood lifter).

So in terms of your secondaries, getting an interview, success for interviews etc...

We had a more "traditional" style secondary last year, but even still, they asked more provocative questions than most schools did (I should know, I filled out about 30 secondaries). This year they're going even farther down the creative/unique path and I personally think this is great. We all have our strengths and weaknesses and so this method will appeal to strengths from different walks of life. Take your time, pick what you think will best represent you and give it all you have. Isn't it nice to know that you're not just being judged on a set of essay questions that 500 + other people are answering as well?

When you're selected for an interview, and you're done shouting, laughing, rolling on the floor, or in my case solo salsa dancing around your living room while your dogs are barking at you, take a deep breath, and start working on your interview skills. Some of us are naturals at this and some of us need practice so that we're not a sweating pile of nerves. Either way, I can say my practice beforehand definitely helped me to feel less nervous on interview day.

Prior to the interview- take a drive over to the location and familiarize yourself. It just makes everything go smoother for the actual day. Dress professionally, but comfortable. Don't overdo perfume or make up or jewelry. Everyone says this but try to really embody it; be yourself. Remember that if someone is asking you to come interview at their school, they've already decided they have interest in you and potentially want you to be there. Just take your time and answer questions from the heart. You'll spend 100 hours stressing over 20 minutes so try and even that imbalance out.

Start saving money now! This goes for any school that you'll end up at. There are so many costs that could pop up, moving, DMV registrations if you end up in another state, rent, deposits, the list goes on an on. If you start saving even $100 a month from now till then it will help you immensely. PAY OFF YOUR DEBTS STARTING NOW. Remember that even if you have a nice cash flow now, that'll likely cease once school starts so plan, plan, plan. You don't want to be struggling to pay off credit cards or whatever debt payments while you're trying to focus on school. In addition, we are still required and likely will be for years 1 & 2, to obtain private loans. Now this process takes some effort but it's not impossible. My best piece of advice? Make sure that you pull a copy of your credit report and review for any wrong info. Is there a late payment listed that was never paid late? DISPUTE IT! This happened to me and by disputing my credit score went up 30 points, no joke. Even if you don't attend here this is something that will be beneficial for you in general so why not. You can get a free copy of all three bureau reports per year. Do this early, and then when it comes time to apply for a loan you'll be in great shape. I ended up at 7.24 fixed for my private loan but I know of classmates that got into the 6 point ranged fixed. This solid considering the federal undergrad plus is at 6.8 fixed.

Our staff here are AMAZING. I mean truly just nice, caring people. Our financial aid rep has been going to bat for us feverishly from the start and our student affairs rep may actually be the nicest person in the world. He receives multiple phone calls a day and is always cheery and nice on the phone. He e-mails back within hours. The school has been flexible and extremely responsive to our needs which is really great. We wanted a bigger venue for our white coat ceremony so that each student could invite more family and within a week they granted our request. We asked for an increase in COA to cover living expenses and boom, done. The community is excited for the school. I've met doctors who are excited about the program and regularly cross paths with hikers and other members of the community that are really excited as well. It's nice to know that the community around us supports us too since we'll be working closely with them.

I wish you all nothing but the best. Enjoy this next year as much as you can. Travel, spend time with friends and family, enjoy life. Hopefully I will see some of you here soon!

Stephanie

Reactions: 16 users
3000$ deposit for your seat. Is this the highest deposit (of all schools I've seen)?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

3000$ deposit for your seat. Is this the highest deposit (of all schools I've seen)?

Is the highest but the tuition is not. So. Think about it like this: you pay a seat deposit, you're securing a place at the school.

If you DO go to the school, it's applied to your tuition.

When it comes to tuition BCOM is not the highest, nowhere near that.

So. What you really need to do is ask yourself how much holding a seat is worth.

You, as an applicant, are the only person that can answer that.

To me. 10k would've been worth the comfort of knowing I had a secured medical school seat.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
3k is not the highest, and the 3k is deducted from tuitiom

There are a few other schools that have 3K deposits too. I didn't even remember the 3K now until I saw it was deducted from my tuition when they sent us the bill

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
I got the preliminary email but no secondary. Although I just realized yesterday I had not sent my MCAT score to AACOMAS via AAMC so I am hoping that factored in. I am an underdog, but the admissions rep said I have decent shot. By the way can anyone confirm if they do subsection cutoffs?

edit: although my LORs have yet to be recieved by AACOMAS so that is probably also playing a factor perhaps..

Last edited:
Haven't received my primary yet and was verified on Friday. Should I be worried?

Last edited:
I got the preliminary email but no secondary. Although I just realized yesterday I had not sent my MCAT score to AACOMAS via AAMC so I am hoping that factored in. I am an underdog, but the admissions rep said I have decent shot. By the way can anyone confirm if they do subsection cutoffs?

edit: although my LORs have yet to be recieved by AACOMAS so that is probably also playing a factor perhaps..
Yo

You know that happened to me and I was rejected about 6 hours after I got the prel- email. I was able to talk to someone and I was told to send my new MCAT score. I totally forgot to send AACOMAS my score. Even though my new MCAT score shows in my application ( unofficial thought ). They went by the old official score. Now I am just paranoid the same thing doesn't happen with other schools by next week. Do you know how long it takes before AACOMaS get the score? and how long it takes for medical school to get it? It sucks that AACOMaS doesn't work on weekend. The best time for applicants that work full time to call.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yo

You know that happened to me and I was rejected about 6 hours after I got the prel- email. I was able to talk to someone and I was told to send my new MCAT score. I totally forgot to send AACOMAS my score. Even though my new MCAT score shows in my application ( unofficial thought ). They went by the old official score. Now I am just paranoid the same thing doesn't happen with other schools by next week. Do you know how long it takes before AACOMaS get the score? and how long it takes for medical school to get it? It sucks that AACOMaS doesn't work on weekend. The best time for applicants that work full time to call.

I heard a couple days to a week. I imagine three days is probably what it will be. I hope it works out for both of us. The BCOM rep said my 497 is equivalent to a 23, but because my percentile is a 42 which is not shown on the unofficial stuff I really have a 24 which puts me within reach of their average. Also, I don't think you should be paranoid. Many other schools don't send out their secondaries until next week at the earliest

I heard a couple days to a week. I imagine three days is probably what it will be. I hope it works out for both of us. The BCOM rep said my 497 is equivalent to a 23, but because my percentile is a 42 which is not shown on the unofficial stuff I really have a 24 which puts me within reach of their average. Also, I don't think you should be paranoid. Many other schools don't send out their secondaries until next week at the earliest

Just make sure to emphasize the mission if it truly aligns with your philosophy. This program is very committed to that. I believe our Mcat average was 25 or 26 for our first class. We had a wide range of scores some into mid 30s and some below our average which I'm sure is similar at other programs. If you get an interview, don't worry about stats as much, now it's time to share your personality and goals and make sure it matches with what the school is trying to accomplish

So what type of videos would you guys record? More of a formal type where you're sitting behind a desk all suited up and talking or are you taking more of a casual approach?

Reactions: 1 users
So what type of videos would you guys record? More of a formal type where you're sitting behind a desk all suited up and talking or are you taking more of a casual approach?
Sitting with a new nice button up and khakis..not sure what others think. I wouldn't over dress. They want to "better understand you."

I am doing one that features me for a little and also includes people close to me. I am going to attempt to take a creative approach, I hope it works :)

wow this is the coolest secondary I've ever heard of!

I'm going to sing, dance, do push-ups and pull-ups, and show them everything I've got. Totally kidding of course.

If I could do 2/4 of those things that would be "everything." lol.
I'm going to sing, dance, do push-ups and pull-ups, and show them everything I've got. Totally kidding of course.

I would accept you on the spot if you did that AND look like Jesse Williams!

It seems like interview invites went out around end of June according to last years thread. Do we expect the same for this year as well?

What should we talk about in the video
That's part of why they were vague "help us better understand you". Highly personal. Think of it as an extension of an interview...your demeanor and tone can come across much better in a video than essay.

Did my video today. Going to submit now. Will let you guys know the general timeline if I hear anything further.

Did my video today. Going to submit now. Will let you guys know the general timeline if I hear anything further.

Last year they met weekly and II went out like every Tuesday or Wednesday

Lol. I already wrote my essay. But I think I will extract ideas from it and record a video.

I believe the video can give adcom an opportunity to know you before ii you.

Got a secondary today and gonna do the video. Grateful for this opportunity and I need to kill this video since I am quite the underdog.

If there are any current students, can you comment on the degree to which a) speaking Spanish is integral to your studies or clinics b) if you are out of state, how do feel your goals aligned with the mission statement?

Thanks!

I'm still missing my Physician/PI LoR(hopefully receiving it by the end of this month or early next month) I emailed the adcoms that i'm still awaiting on this last required letter and they advised me to wait until I have it because they won't be able to proceed or look at my app until I have it on file--how much of an impact will this have? I was really hoping to get reviewed by them to possibly receive an II but I can't harass my PI/Physcian that I shadowed to speed up the process because I understand that he's obviously busy-- would you guys suggest I contact another physician I shadow to ask for a LoR to get reviewed quicker even though I think optimally it would be nice to have the other LoR from a doctor I shadowed and did research for/under?

God. Just realized i have one typo in my essay... Don't know how I missed that. The whole essay is nothing wrong, just have one extra word in one sentence... Damn it. Maybe I'm screwed guy.
:(

God. Just realized i have one typo in my essay... Don't know how I missed that. The whole essay is nothing wrong, just have one extra word in one sentence... Damn it. Maybe I'm screwed guy.
:(

Maybe you should have done the video...

Just kidding. I think you'll be fine.

Hello to all those applying! I'm part of the inaugural class and I wanted to drop in and leave some advice/info for those applying this cycle. Though it seems like it was forever ago, I was in your shoes and so I understand your stress and anticipation. That being said, try to relax as much as possible and still enjoy life. Most of you already finished the crazy beast that is the MCAT and you're so close to the next step, acceptance to med school.

So this is definitely a school that's driven by a specific mission. Make sure you know what that is and if this school fits YOUR desires. It's as much of an interview for them as it is for you. You'll spend a significant chunk of cash wherever you end up (unless it's a dirt cheap state school, in which case I envy you), so make sure that you're 100% comfortable with YOUR decision. I emphasize you, because on these forums, and your life in general, people will steer you a certain way with their comments and opinions. That's not always a negative thing but remember, at the end of the day the person who has to be happy and comfortable with the outcome is you.

Our initial class is full of some really phenomenal, kind, funny, caring people. Luckily I've had the chance to meet a handful of them in person and so I make this comment with that knowledge and also from what I've seen on our FB page. I don't get any sense of people being cut throat towards each other or mean spirited in any way. We are the polar opposite of that and already, before class has even started, we've been proactive in helping each other out. I'm bringing this up because it's the culture that you'll potentially be entering into. I personally despise people who put others down or gloat about their success in order to make others feel bad so our culture is something that really really makes me happy. It's nice to know that my colleagues are people that I can learn and grow with, comfortably.

Las Cruces is beautiful! I came from upstate NY so it was a major change, but I can tell you that after being here for 2.5 months I'm loving it. It's a great area because of the cultural mix of people, the abundance of outdoor activities, and the FOOD! The people here are super friendly. The community itself is growing and already live with local events like Farmer's markets, art shows, doggy events, etc. It's sunny every day (super mood lifter).

So in terms of your secondaries, getting an interview, success for interviews etc...

We had a more "traditional" style secondary last year, but even still, they asked more provocative questions than most schools did (I should know, I filled out about 30 secondaries). This year they're going even farther down the creative/unique path and I personally think this is great. We all have our strengths and weaknesses and so this method will appeal to strengths from different walks of life. Take your time, pick what you think will best represent you and give it all you have. Isn't it nice to know that you're not just being judged on a set of essay questions that 500 + other people are answering as well?

When you're selected for an interview, and you're done shouting, laughing, rolling on the floor, or in my case solo salsa dancing around your living room while your dogs are barking at you, take a deep breath, and start working on your interview skills. Some of us are naturals at this and some of us need practice so that we're not a sweating pile of nerves. Either way, I can say my practice beforehand definitely helped me to feel less nervous on interview day.

Prior to the interview- take a drive over to the location and familiarize yourself. It just makes everything go smoother for the actual day. Dress professionally, but comfortable. Don't overdo perfume or make up or jewelry. Everyone says this but try to really embody it; be yourself. Remember that if someone is asking you to come interview at their school, they've already decided they have interest in you and potentially want you to be there. Just take your time and answer questions from the heart. You'll spend 100 hours stressing over 20 minutes so try and even that imbalance out.

Start saving money now! This goes for any school that you'll end up at. There are so many costs that could pop up, moving, DMV registrations if you end up in another state, rent, deposits, the list goes on an on. If you start saving even $100 a month from now till then it will help you immensely. PAY OFF YOUR DEBTS STARTING NOW. Remember that even if you have a nice cash flow now, that'll likely cease once school starts so plan, plan, plan. You don't want to be struggling to pay off credit cards or whatever debt payments while you're trying to focus on school. In addition, we are still required and likely will be for years 1 & 2, to obtain private loans. Now this process takes some effort but it's not impossible. My best piece of advice? Make sure that you pull a copy of your credit report and review for any wrong info. Is there a late payment listed that was never paid late? DISPUTE IT! This happened to me and by disputing my credit score went up 30 points, no joke. Even if you don't attend here this is something that will be beneficial for you in general so why not. You can get a free copy of all three bureau reports per year. Do this early, and then when it comes time to apply for a loan you'll be in great shape. I ended up at 7.24 fixed for my private loan but I know of classmates that got into the 6 point ranged fixed. This solid considering the federal undergrad plus is at 6.8 fixed.

Our staff here are AMAZING. I mean truly just nice, caring people. Our financial aid rep has been going to bat for us feverishly from the start and our student affairs rep may actually be the nicest person in the world. He receives multiple phone calls a day and is always cheery and nice on the phone. He e-mails back within hours. The school has been flexible and extremely responsive to our needs which is really great. We wanted a bigger venue for our white coat ceremony so that each student could invite more family and within a week they granted our request. We asked for an increase in COA to cover living expenses and boom, done. The community is excited for the school. I've met doctors who are excited about the program and regularly cross paths with hikers and other members of the community that are really excited as well. It's nice to know that the community around us supports us too since we'll be working closely with them.

I wish you all nothing but the best. Enjoy this next year as much as you can. Travel, spend time with friends and family, enjoy life. Hopefully I will see some of you here soon!

Stephanie
This is phenomenal insight! Greatly appreciated!
I would love to ask you a few questions. If I could, here they are:
1. What drew you to this institution?
2. Now that you're a student, is (your answer to no. 1 here) everything you had thought it would be?
3. Now as a student, if any, what has been your greatest obstacle thus far (related to this school)?

Did you have to pay and they will reimburse you or how did that go. I have already done everything else

They just gonna waive the fee part in the apps. U can't normally submit without doing that first but since they waived it, it will appear as completed

They just gonna waive the fee part in the apps. U can't normally submit without doing that first but since they waived it, it will appear as completed
Great. Thanks for your help.

Hello Everyone,

Congratulations on getting this far. Applying to medical school can be stressful and honestly, a lot of the help I received came from students of the schools I applied to who took the time and posted tips and valuable information to help us out. With that being said, I will be an incoming student this fall at BCOM so if anyone has questions about the school or wants any additional information I would gladly love to help!

Got a secondary today and gonna do the video. Grateful for this opportunity and I need to kill this video since I am quite the underdog.

If there are any current students, can you comment on the degree to which a) speaking Spanish is integral to your studies or clinics b) if you are out of state, how do feel your goals aligned with the mission statement?

Thanks!

I am an accepted student from the previous application cycle. We will be part of the first class since BCOM is a brand new school. Since we haven't begun classes yet and won't start until August, none of us can answer your first question. As for the second question, I have always been very interested in working with underserved populations. I grew up in a corner of Texas where the population was composed of mostly minorities and where the community was underserved in a multitude of ways. With BCOM being so mission driven, it just felt natural for me to have an inclination to attend school there. The faculty and staff are all wonderful people, the students that have been accepted are all fantastic, and the surrounding community/culture is absolutely amazing...oh and the area is also absolutely gorgeous with mountains in the backdrop. Everyone just seems very genuine, caring and dedicated to making the school become an integral part of the community.

2. Now that you're a student, is (your answer to no. 1 here) everything you had thought it would be?
3. Now as a student, if any, what has been your greatest obstacle thus far (related to this school)?

I'm Hispanic and I'm interested in international medicine/infectious disease/ foreign aid, so the border town location was ideal for me. It will be a great fit for me to serve the Hispanic patient population. I can't speak to the curriculum yet but this area definitely has a strong Latino population so that has proved to be correct and is what I thought it would be. Greatest obstacle I would say was adjusting to such a big move from the northeast to the southwest; leaving all of my friends and family. I'm adjusting great though and have already started making new friends.

1 -- It was an acceptance. When I applied, I shotgunned everywhere. New facilities were a draw. I pretty much live at school so that helps. Realistically the biggest plus, and the only one that ANY body can talk about, is the faculty. Classes haven't started. So we won't be able to list real pro's con's till after. The faculty are all over the top nice. Everyone is excited, everyone wants to help and the class seems awesome so far. It's nice to see everyone joking around and being supportive of one another.

2. Uhhh...sure. I mean...we have pre matriculation courses which, while not difficult, are a little obnoxious in terms of time. It also just feels like busy work. Again, we haven't really started. Medical school curriculum for the first two years is largely the same, regardless of where you go. So much of that time is self directed study, you get out of it what you put into it.

3. Financial aid and health insurance. All medical schools, to my knowledge, require health insurance. Financial aid is kind of a nightmare in general, and I wouldn't say that's specific to BCOM. The one problem is, as written all over the previous year's thread, BCOM does not yet qualify for federal aid yet. So you're left seeking private loans. Again, this can be good or bad. Mostly, private companies are a little irritating to work with. My suggestion would be, if you decide to go here, start early. Reach out to current students for tips and tricks. START FIXING YOUR CREDIT NOW. You can pull a credit report from each company for free, once a year. Pull them. Dispute anything that doesn't make sense. If you have cards/loans, get the balances down as low as possible. Do NOT close accounts, that looks bad too. If your credit sucks, fork over the money for a credit counselor, get on a plan and stick to it.

This school doesn't not have it's own insurance plan. (apparently no one in NM does). So...you're left with parents (if that's an option) or marketplace. For those of you who aren't familiar with the market place plans...let me sum them up for you: they're terrible.

The mission, the area, the chance to get all new equipment and be a part of an inaugural class. I'm not really afraid of it being a new program as some are because I believe in the way the program has been set up. I was also drawn to the "audition rotations" that we'll be able to do since BCOM set up residencies here and we get to audition in a way while we rotate and that should help match (i hope lol). I also picked it because I'd like to be able to rotate in El Paso (40 min away-ish) since they already have Texas Tech's med school and have established sites there too. lots more reasons but these are some.

Haven't started school yet but the staff have been incredible. Financial aid is on point and goes even further than you'd expect in helping students and going tips and ideas. our student affairs has been awesome as my classmates have stated in changing the venue when we asked for more invitations for our families for the white coat ceremony (went from 2 tickets each to 7) and listened to our Facebook class page poll we had up when we all wanted the Microsoft Surface book. It's been great so far and they answer questions via email in 20 minutes at times. We even have a group that is going to take a tour inside of our school in 3 days to check out everything they've got.

financial aid. Private loans are a PITA if you don't have your credit score in check. As my classmates stated, check your score now. If you don't have a great (i mean really solid score) cosigner and your score sucks, I'd work on it ASAP. like today. throw everything you have at debt, Revolving debt (credit cards) are going to be the biggest, immediate impact that you can make on your score. Just make sure this is on point because it makes the hassle so much less. You'll be working with Wells Fargo (best choice in deferment options), Sallie Mae, New Mexico State Loans (they just cut off for this class since we have met the number of loans they'll give out this year and they'll start up next year again, so apply early if you want them), and iHelp (i think thats the name, it has variable rates only through them i believe).

I have set up an airbnb for when you guys start getting Interview Invites. Good luck!