Buffalo, NY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mady

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I will be moving to Buffalo for a year (from sunny southern California). I have no idea what to expect besides snow snow and more snow! I imagine this will be a big culture shock coming for a city girl like myself. I still need to find a company to have my Toyota Camry shipped over there as well. If anyone has any tips or helpful insight about Buffalo, I would greatly appreciate it! Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I will be moving to Buffalo for a year (from sunny southern California). I have no idea what to expect besides snow snow and more snow! I imagine this will be a big culture shock coming for a city girl like myself. I still need to find a company to have my Toyota Camry shipped over there as well. If anyone has any tips or helpful insight about Buffalo, I would greatly appreciate it! Thank you.

Just expect a lot of snow and bring a good attitude. You can message me if you need any specific information on Buffalo.

But I second Caverject's question: why not drive to Buffalo? Mileage issues? You will need your car for just about everything in "Buffalo". If you're going to UB, you will most likely be living in Amherst- a suburb of Buffalo.

Members don't see this ad :)
Buffalo's gonna big a big culture shock!

Here's some good things:

1. Wegmans!
2. Canada's right over the bridge
3. Buffalo Bills--everybody's favorite loser!
4. Hockey!
5.Beef on Kemmelwick (spelling is probably wrong)
6. Beer--the good Canadian stuff!
7. Cheap housing (relative to California)

Have fun and STAY WARM! Summer is only 2 weeks!:laugh:

UB is a great school!

Anyone want to add anything?

Buffalo's gonna big a big culture shock!

Here's some good things:

1. Wegmans!
2. Canada's right over the bridge
3. Buffalo Bills--everybody's favorite loser!
4. Hockey!
5.Beef on Kemmelwick (spelling is probably wrong)
6. Beer--the good Canadian stuff!
7. Cheap housing (relative to California)

Have fun and STAY WARM! Summer is only 2 weeks!:laugh:

UB is a great school!

Anyone want to add anything?

...And a terrible, terrible football team. JK (I was once a Bills season tickets holder, myself) :D

Nothing beats Wegmans! Their pharmacy computer operating system is like Middle-Ages, though... However, they really do care about innovative and helpful changes to their dispensing system. They're very progressive in that respect. Food-wise, they're #1. Pricey, but #1.

Hi everyone,

ROAD TRIP ROAD TRIP ROAD TRIP

I go to UB Pharmacy...it's...well, the winter isn't too bad these days (global warming and all). But yes, it might be a bit of a culture shock. On the bright side, buffalo does have the highest drinking rate in the country. :)

I drove from Florida to California to British Columbia to South Dakota and back. :D

I wrote tangentially about Buffalo once in my blog.

The part about Buffalo:

...........Upstate Pennsylvania is boring. It's like driving through a cardboard box. And what's the reward? You end up in Buffalo, NY. I'm pretty sure Buffalo is the dirtiest town in existence outside of New Jersey and Wheeling, WV. It made me want to stare at the dust on my dashboard for amusement. So after ignoring my environment, we arrived at whatever Great Lake it was that I had to cross to get into Canada..........

If you want a really good opinion, I suggest going to the Buffalo city forum at city-data.com.

I wrote tangentially about Buffalo once in my blog.

The part about Buffalo:

If you want a really good opinion, I suggest going to the Buffalo city forum at city-data.com.

At first I thought, "wow, someone from west virginia mocking Buffalo" :laugh:...at least you then said Wheeling was dirtier!

Buffalo's really not a bad place...I mean, really, there are many far worse off cities around! It's nothing special, but you could do worse. I've lived here all my life and I actually like the weather. I'm a big fan of snow...I like driving in it, skiing, snowmobiling, etc. There's many ski resorts nearby. The weather's actually not nearly as bad as we get credit for...generally April through October is really nice. I personally don't think we get THAT much rain so there's many nice dry sunny days and not too hot either, usually between 70 and 85 in the summer, rarely getting above 90. The winters have gotten much more mild in the last 10 years... don't get me wrong, we still get a lot of snow, but only a few bad storms/winter instead of like 20! It's a great town for sports if you like hockey or football...not saying the teams are always GOOD, but they have a very strong fan base. The bars are generally cool and the food is very good! Western NY area in general has a lot of outdoors stuff to do, many parks...you got Watkins Glen gorge near the finger lakes, Niagara Falls (of course), 5 hours away from the Adirondack mountains if you want to really do some hiking. Lots of events held on the lakes, beach parties at various clubs, boating, fishing.

At first I thought, "wow, someone from west virginia mocking Buffalo" :laugh:

Most people from WV would and should make fun of Buffalo. It's boring, dirty, and dying. Except people from Wheeling. And that's only because Buffalo looks like an enlarged scale version of Wheeling...which is also boring, dirty, and dying. Sure, you could do worse. That's what Detroit is for. To point at and say, "at least I'm not in Detroit."

wow... harsh hate about my home town...
i guess i gotta defend it...

Buffalo is NOT that bad, in fact it was once a beautiful city. it was the first city to have electrical street lights, was the 8th richest city at the time. The dirty architecture that you see was considered in style at the time and therefore is a nice reminder of how things used to look. Unfortunately, most people never visit north buffalo and see the Upper class homes that exist there.
The man who created NYC famous central park also created our own version, Delware Park. In fact he designed and built our park first. We also house the albright-knox gallery which is one of the worlds best contemporary art galleries in the country.
City traffic is never bad, commuting never takes more then 20 minutes. We are 30 minutes to niagara falls. Food is awesome, many locally owned restaurants for all sorts of tastes. Trust me there is more to eat here then wings and roast beef on kimmelweck rolls.
Sports scene is all sorts of fun, even though our teams have yet to win anything since the 60's. It makes watching it more fun, makes the fans even crazier.

The snow is not bad, we didn't see any snow until january this year and only lasted to march. You will be surprised to see our weather is much milder then you would think
Land and housing is cheap, with a pharmacist salary, you can live in a home that would cost you a half a million in other parts of this country.

Oh and our bars close at 4 am. nuff said...

Any other questions about the city I will be happy to answer... Sorry but I gotta defend my town.

Buffalo has a Dave and Buster's, which is a requirement for living. It's also near Toronto...which is by far the best city in North America. I am actually a fan of the Rust Belt. I just bust the balls of anyone that disses WV. The Rust Belt's got charm...it really does. Though Buffalo is low on my list of favorite Rust towns. On par with Cleveland, I'd say. Better than Detroit and Cincinnati. Still needs to catch up with Pittsburgh and Baltimore.....which are actually becoming damn nice places to live by any standard

While we're on the subject, do Buffalo people have a folksy nickname? Like the how folk from Pittsburgh are called Yinzers, Baltimore Ballmers, West Virginia Hoopies, etc? It's all part of the charm....

God damn Yinzers....

we are called Buffalonians...

Though i never considered Baltimore a Rust Belt city, I thought it was still very nice, especially the inner harbor. That was really developed nicely and the aquarium they have is pretty fantastical.
Buffalo is trying to rebuild its harbor and they have looked very closely at what baltimore has done. However I think we are years away right now.
I was only in Pittsburgh once, for a hockey game. I never really developed a good opinion about it. Perhaps it had to do with the fact that I was not exactly wearing a Penguins hockey jersey? Plus i never got pretty far into the city because the Igloo is right off of whatever highway it was. They should be looking forward to the new arena; the old one is past its prime.
Speaking of detroit, how about that DEA show on spike? Holy crap they have to have serious drug problems if they have enough episodes to make it a TV show. If i was an agent, i would not want to be filmed, I am pretty sure there is someone crazy enough to hunt these guys down... not fun. Still is an entertaining show. I have never been to Detroit, but I imagine that money revolves around the auto business?

While we're on the subject, do Buffalo people have a folksy nickname? Like the how folk from Pittsburgh are called Yinzers, Baltimore Ballmers, West Virginia Hoopies, etc? It's all part of the charm....

God damn Yinzers....

Excuse me, hon. Baltimore is pronounced "ballmor", but we lovingly call ourselves "ball-*****s" or in yankee speak, "baltimorons".:laugh:

The only exception is the Eastern Shore--they're just "rednecks". If you have moved to the Eastern Shore (i.e. weren't born there) you're a "chicken-necker".:smuggrin:

I wish we had Wegmans on the Eastern Shore...:(

GO SABRES!!! (and LEAFS)

Excuse me, hon. Baltimore is pronounced "ballmor", but we lovingly call ourselves "ball-*****s" or in yankee speak, "baltimorons".:laugh:

The only exception is the Eastern Shore--they're just "rednecks". If you have moved to the Eastern Shore (i.e. weren't born there) you're a "chicken-necker".:smuggrin:

GO SABRES!!! (and LEAFS)
Hush with all of your neckin' business. You don't know a thing about the Deep South. :smuggrin:

^^^
I'm sitting below sea level. It doesn't really get any deeper than that. :p

Hush with all of your neckin' business. You don't know a thing about the Deep South. :smuggrin:

Do what? You don't even KNOW me!:laugh:

You're right, though. Maryland, although it is technically below the Mason-Dixon line, is not considered the "South" by Southerners.

I will be going deep into the nether regions of the South in a few months, though---that good enuf for ya? :D

I am a northerner by birth; but I like the South and 'aint ever going back to cold again, dammit!;)

Do what? You don't even KNOW me!:laugh:

You're right, though. Maryland, although it is technically below the Mason-Dixon line, is not considered the "South" by Southerners.

I will be going deep into the nether regions of the South in a few months, though---that good enuf for ya? :D

I am a northerner by birth; but I like the South and 'aint ever going back to cold again, dammit!;)
Do you mean "ain't neva goin' back to da cold again"? :laugh:

The warmth is very, very nice during the winter. I truly enjoy Christmas with air conditioning.

Have fun in vet school!
My favorite veterinarian said that if she hadn't gone to vet school, she would have gone to pharmacy school. Great minds think alike!

GO SABRES!!! (and LEAFS)

No, you are called Ballmers. You don't get to choose. Just like how I don't get to choose being called a Hoopie when I'm up in Pittsburgh.

No, you are called Ballmers. You don't get to choose. Just like how I don't get to choose being called a Hoopie when I'm up in Pittsburgh.

What, exactly, is a "hoopie" anyway?