BU MAMS Fall 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hmm.. interesting. nothing in the mail regarding that for me..

Members don't see this ad.

Whole bunch of info in this thread...it's been said before, but thanks again for providing inputs/opinions (cameras, guju, red, etc)! Now I won't seem entirely clueless at orientation =P

haha no problem!

Members don't see this ad :)
no offense to the terriers out there but BU is not one of the best universities in the nation, unless you use the term "best" broadly..

but seriously, re: website, though i too am glad i applied, it's just a very unprofessional way of presenting themselves. it's a cause for concern.

BU is a great school - but I think the post was referring to the SMP in particular. BU is one of the 2 best SMPs.

the website thing's been a huuuuuuge turnoff for me with bu. i almost didn't even apply

I'm fairly certain they use these tactics as an attempt to reduce the number of applicants.

who's gonna go to the BBQ!!!

orientation is casual dress right?

The BBQ is nice. Most MED kids jump in too :)

Casual dress, yes. Don't fly with a t-shirt, but jeans with nice shoes wont be out of place by any means.

wooot found housing through craigslist..as shady as this sounds..secured it and will be taking a train to Boston today from NY to hand in teh check. i was freaking out about housing earlier so this is a relief. :D anyways looking forward to seeing you peeps..wanna get classes started already.

with the craigslist, beware bu students... jus sayin' =)

I'm fairly certain they use these tactics as an attempt to reduce the number of applicants.

I hope you're joking.

Seriously though, how long does it take to make a website? It looks like someone spent 2 hours on Microsoft Word to make that monstrosity. My 10 year old cousin in India who knows Shockwave could do better.

ROFLcopter!! :diebanana:

i can make that stupid website with NOTEPAD in under an hour. haha. it's terrible.

I hope you're joking.

I am... kind of. lol

Seriously though, how long does it take to make a website? It looks like someone spent 2 hours on Microsoft Word to make that monstrosity. My 10 year old cousin in India who knows Shockwave could do better.

Pretty sure the website is made, and they just aren't bothering making it accessible. They want to wait til right around orientation so they don't get plagued with questions about schedule and what not. Its easier to answer calls asking where is the website, I would think.

ROFLcopter!! :diebanana:

Sorry, I didn't find it quite THAT funny... lol

also, we all know every indian person is a computer/math/science/premed/academics wizard so even a 10 year old is probably better than most computer engineering PhDs in this country.

- if they're seriously waiting to update the website just so they don't have to ask questions... well, that kind of makes me want to go elsewhere..

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe it's just me, but a program that actually cared about attracting applicants could've hired someone other than a chimp to make their website. That was low blow...I'm sorry. A chimp could do better.

if they're seriously waiting to update the website just so they don't have to ask questions... well, that kind of makes me want to go elsewhere..

What are they trying to hide????

Sorry, I didn't find it quite THAT funny... lol

If you didn't find it funny...why did you "lol"?? Regardless, here's a flower to make you feel better :luck:

that's a clover you fool

Whoops...

For the record, I am a short Indian but I'm not bitter... I got into BU's program. You sound like a bitter Korean kid who oddly resembles Donkey Kong. :eek:

Whoops...

For the record, I am a short Indian but I'm not bitter... I got into BU's program. You sound like a bitter Korean kid who oddly resembles Donkey Kong. :eek:

wow. you're such a racist. i bet you're lying about getting into BU to satisfy your ego.

unnecessary unwarranted arguing is both unnecessary and unwanted..make love not wa:love:r.

wow. you're such a racist

Wow...that's...extreme. Almost as extreme as selecting an extreme answer choice on an MCAT Verbal Passage. Someone didn't pay attention in Kaplan Class.

Are these the type of students that go to BU MAMS?? If so, count me out!! :uhno: :scared:

Wow...that's...extreme. Almost as extreme as selecting an extreme answer choice on an MCAT Verbal Passage. Someone didn't pay attention in Kaplan Class.

Are these the type of students that go to BU MAMS?? If so, count me out!! :uhno: :scared:

wow. you don't know anything about me. so stop making these judgments ok?

Quite an immature exchange of messages. Try to keep it clean before you are both banned.

Maybe it's just me, but a program that actually cared about attracting applicants

Oh and by the way, the program doesn't really need to attract applicants, they turn down a huge number every year.

If you didn't find it funny...why did you "lol"?? Regardless, here's a flower to make you feel better :luck:

The "lol" was my amusement at how hilarious you thought your previous post was. Anyhow, thank you for the clover - luck is a great thing. Hope you don't need it.

Oh and by the way, the program doesn't really need to attract applicants, they turn down a huge number every year.

The "lol" was my amusement at how hilarious you thought your previous post was. Anyhow, thank you for the clover - luck is a great thing. Hope you don't need it.

how many applicants are there usually?

you don't know anything about me.

I know you like cuddly bunnies...that has to count for something!

Try to keep it clean before you are both banned.

What did we do to illicit a banning? We've merely expressed our very legitimate concerns about the BU MAM's website.

BU is one of the 2 best SMPs.

According to whom?? BU MAMs has shown that it has a successful track record, I'd agree with you. But to say that it is the 2nd best is completely baseless and misleading. Part of the reason why our decisions have been difficult and frustrating is because of the misinformation that is perpetuated in these forums.

i'd rather go with tufts' newness than with gtown... i looked at their school list and i can't say i was blown away.. LOTS of gtown matriculants.

anyone else here a climber? Shoot me a PM if you wanna get on a rope together at the campus climbing wall...

What did we do to illicit a banning? We've merely expressed our very legitimate concerns about the BU MAM's website.

I'm sure you have noticed bleargh's name in red. It is pretty cool to have it in red though, I won't deny that. I almost miss it :p

According to whom?? BU MAMs has shown that it has a successful track record, I'd agree with you. But to say that it is the 2nd best is completely baseless and misleading. Part of the reason why our decisions have been difficult and frustrating is because of the misinformation that is perpetuated in these forums.

One of the two best is what I had intended, not 2nd best. And it is based on numbers, in terms of success of graduates. Therefore, certainly not completely baseless and misleading. [I'm sure gujuDoc said this somewhere below, but I didn't feel like reading that huge post lol]

Of course, this is a public forum. It is anyone's choice about whether or not to believe what they read. Some of the posts are wrong - you are totally right. But some of them, are very on the money.

plus slightly cheaper cost of living in Beantown vs. D.C

I don't know about that. As a former DC student, the capital's cost of living is fairly high....the Georgetown area in particular is quite posh and expensive.

Plus their long standing reputation. I know this is esp. true at a lot of Fl. schools (my home state schools). its true at other places too.

Judging from your profile, I'm going to venture out a guess and say that the FL school you're referring to is USF (please correct me if i'm wrong) .I am also a Tampa Bay native and I dropped by the USFCOM admissions office. An admissions counselor told me that they don't really regard one SMP as better than another, so long as the student demonstrates that they can perform well in their respective program. I've also heard this echoed by admissions councelors from Miami, FSU, and FIU. Who or where did you receive this information?

You define success as the percentage of students who get in an M.D. school. I would further argue that success is also achieved by strengthening the overall academic timbre of the SMP student. They should prepare us to become great doctors. And what (objective) tests do we have to measure that? I don't mean to beleaguer this point, but to brashly say that BU MAMS, Tufts MBS, or Georgetown's SMP is better than the other is completely subjective.

Furthermore, and I don't mean this to be offensive, but I've seen your earlier posts and you were all in favor of Tufts MBS and G-town SMP before. Isn't your opinion slightly biased because you got waitlisted at these programs?

And let me make this clear as well, I believe that BU MAMS is an excellent program which is why I took the time, energy, etc to apply to it....and I did receive an admission contrary to Bleargh's earlier posts. I wish you and your fellow colleagues nothing but success at this program and your medical school endeavors. But I implore you, for the sake of other applicants in the future, to not make any biased opinions unless you provide us with a disclaimer.

I'm sure you have noticed bleargh's name in red. It is pretty cool to have it in red though, I won't deny that. I almost miss it

It is funny to see him on probation. But disregarding his jerk tendencies and facism when it comes to diction/vocabulary/grammar corrections, I know him personally. He is one of the smartest people I know…even if he is a big meany head. :laugh:

So does this mean you chose MAAN over Tufts?

I think so. Overall BU is a higher ranked med school, and even though I am not in the 'real' SMP I am still going to be able to prove myself in med school classes with med school students, and honestly, I think straight A's in either program would get me admittance somewhere(maybe not the best med school, but A med school hopefully). The tufts program looks really, really intense(not saying MAAN looks like a piece of cake haha), and I think that a 4.0 in MAAN would look better than a 3.6 or 3.7 at Tufts. I'm justifying not being in the 'real' SMP by the fact that I think that whatever program I will get better grades in is the better choice for me right now and I think that program is BU. I also really like all the professors that I have met here, and am super excited(and scared) to start the dissection part of anatomy. Also the fact that I live a one minute walk from BU Med's campus is a big plus :) Hooray for school!

It is funny to see him on probation. But disregarding his jerk tendencies and facism when it comes to diction/vocabulary/grammar corrections

it's spelled fascism. oh the ironey :D

that was supposed to be a part of the irony... :sigh:

there is no saving you.

Hey, I see you have jokes. I am new here and will be starting the MAMS program this September. Any useful info would be appreciated. Anyone from Boston?

what do you want to know?

what are the hot spots here in this city? i am from NY! i am just trying to find new friends (classmates) to hang with. But other than that, down to business, is anyone taking or re-taking their MCAT's this summer? I was going to re-take them but I thought about it and decided to wait until next summer. what does everyone think?

what are the hot spots here in this city? i am from NY! i am just trying to find new friends (classmates) to hang with. But other than that, down to business, is anyone taking or re-taking their MCAT's this summer? I was going to re-take them but I thought about it and decided to wait until next summer. what does everyone think?

oh boy... you're in for a big disappointment re: "hot spots" coming up to boston. haha. different world. prepare for nothing open past 1/2 am. could suggest a few chill beer bars around as that's mainly my thing; sorry, not a big clubber.

oh boy... you're in for a big disappointment re: "hot spots" coming up to boston. haha. different world. prepare for nothing open past 1/2 am. could suggest a few chill beer bars around as that's mainly my thing; sorry, not a big clubber.

ummmm, that sounds lame. i am used to chillin out til whenever. but have to change that since MAMS is about to begin. bummer. are you from boston? or went to school here? i went to NYU. Just happy to be in another state and try something new.

came here for college, stayed. boston's a fun town, with some quaint charm to it, but it's just that things happen mostly by day... you'll see it soon enough i guess

It is funny to see him on probation. But disregarding his jerk tendencies and facism when it comes to diction/vocabulary/grammar corrections, I know him personally. He is one of the smartest people I know…even if he is a big meany head. :laugh:

lol i heard you knew each other. did you also notice that what you said was quoted by someone else..... and they quoted it as ME? lol what the hell

yo gotta an apt through a broker! worst thing to do..took all day...freaking grilling me and all..just heads up to ppl.

also your back and forth are hilarious moo and blearg

Busmed im a nyc head myself....i was in Boston for a summer and absolutely loved it..boston ppl are more lax and friendly than ny'ers

I was just gonna post a question, but it seems that bussmed beat me to it. I guess i'll expand on the question. I actually just flew in from LA this morning, and moved all in safe and sound in Allston. My other GMS roommate isn't moving in till the end of the month, so i'm pretty much alone right now. so i was wondering where the spots were, i.e. good restaurants, clubs, sights to see, information resources. I promised a lot of friends back home I'd show them around when they come visit, but I wanna develop my knowledge bank these next 2 weeks before I crack down major nerd mode come september. Recommendations? Anyone wanna hang out? except i just developed a fever so i probably cant go out much yet. :(

You define success as the percentage of students who get in an M.D. school. I would further argue that success is also achieved by strengthening the overall academic timbre of the SMP student. They should prepare us to become great doctors. And what (objective) tests do we have to measure that? I don't mean to beleaguer this point, but to brashly say that BU MAMS, Tufts MBS, or Georgetown's SMP is better than the other is completely subjective.

Furthermore, and I don't mean this to be offensive, but I've seen your earlier posts and you were all in favor of Tufts MBS and G-town SMP before. Isn't your opinion slightly biased because you got waitlisted at these programs?

And let me make this clear as well, I believe that BU MAMS is an excellent program which is why I took the time, energy, etc to apply to it....and I did receive an admission contrary to Bleargh's earlier posts. I wish you and your fellow colleagues nothing but success at this program and your medical school endeavors. But I implore you, for the sake of other applicants in the future, to not make any biased opinions unless you provide us with a disclaimer.

I don't know what other people go to SMPs for, but for me a successful SMP is the program that will give me the best chance to get into med school. From there it's up to me to become a great doctor. Since I messed around in undergrad I was glad to see guju and others giving advice and statistics about SMPs, BU in particular, with proven track records of success in getting graduates into med.

came here for college, stayed. boston's a fun town, with some quaint charm to it, but it's just that things happen mostly by day... you'll see it soon enough i guess

what school here in boston did u attend? nobody on here talk as much. your the only one that is talking, lol. when did you get your acceptance letter in the mail? The admissions office called me and informed me by phone that I got in. I am excited!