BU MAMS Fall 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wannabesrgn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't think this thread has been started yet. I was accepted last week.

Just wondering who else is considering this program right now. Also any current students, please chime in and provide any info about the program.

My main concern is the 2 year emphasis. I'd really like to be out of there in a year. I am wondering how many people actually do that and how realistic is it to aim for the 1 year plan?

Members don't see this ad.

Glad to see this post was started. From what I understand it is very possible to finish in one year with the library thesis option which is what I plan to do. Currently I am looking for roommates, females who would be a part of this program so they understand my living situation. message me if you are interested! I am excited...looking forward to this program.

Glad to see this post was started. From what I understand it is very possible to finish in one year with the library thesis option which is what I plan to do. Currently I am looking for roommates, females who would be a part of this program so they understand my living situation. message me if you are interested! I am excited...looking forward to this program.

Hey! When did you apply and find out about your acceptance? My application was complete 2/17 and someone in Admissions said I should find out around the beginning of march and I still haven't heard anything yet.. I am hoping I will find out this week :) Also do you know if there is any on-campus housing?

Members don't see this ad :)
My application was completed around that time so you should hear back soon :) Good Luck on everything!! There is on campus housing but it is pretty expensive without parking...so I am thinking about the JFK/Umass stop on the red line or the Savin hill area. Let me know if you are interested!

thanks allaboutitbaby :) I have never been to Boston before so I will definitely need to go up and visit if I get accepted to see what the neighborhoods are like and where to get an apt and such! Its just such a far drive from where I live so I'm going to try to visit when I have some days off for Easter break so I don't have to miss classes.

I'm trying to figure out my financial aid stuff right now. Not quite sure where to start. I'm all the way on the West Coast too, so I'll also have to figure out a time to come out and look at places.

I don't think this thread has been started yet. I was accepted last week.

Just wondering who else is considering this program right now. Also any current students, please chime in and provide any info about the program.

My main concern is the 2 year emphasis. I'd really like to be out of there in a year. I am wondering how many people actually do that and how realistic is it to aim for the 1 year plan?

The one year plan is doable but as far as actually starting medical school w/o a gap year (meaning you're applying while you're in the program) is pretty rare. Out of our class of 180, I only knew of 1-2 ppl that got in while everyone else reapplied. Lab thesis gives you something to do in your application year and can boost your GPA.

So is the reason that those on the 1 year plan take a gap year to save themselves the tuition of the 2nd year? I think I would rather get a dual master's than take a gap year.

Also, are we looking at around 100k in loans at the end of the 2 year program?? That's daunting...

What is the reason that so few people get in within the first year? Is it the lack of support from BU in contrast with schools like Gtown?

So is the reason that those on the 1 year plan take a gap year to save themselves the tuition of the 2nd year? I think I would rather get a dual master's than take a gap year.

Also, are we looking at around 100k in loans at the end of the 2 year program?? That's daunting...

What is the reason that so few people get in within the first year? Is it the lack of support from BU in contrast with schools like Gtown?

Some ppl just want to get the program over with so they make some money. Tuition for the year while you're in the program was ~$42K ($19K for each of the two semesters while you're there and ~$1K/unit where you have to take 2 units/semester for the two semesters previous to when you will turn your thesis in - yes it is confusing). So in my example:

19K fall
19k spring
2k fall
2k spring for spring degree award

Few ppl get in within the first year b/c it's not suggested that we apply while we're in school unlike Gtown. In my opinion, those ppl that do get in w/o gap year are competitive enough to get in w/o the SMP but just a slight edge to get them in (and that slight edge being the fact that they are in an SMP). From my experience, ppl in the BU program needed the whole year of grades to show for it plus an improved MCAT score to get in.

So the full second year was required to complete your thesis? The 2 units/semester is the minimum requirement while still working on your thesis? Not sure if I understood that. It seems like it's just a way to keep the "student" status while you work on your thesis?

Were you doing the public health option?

I was also curious about this MPH 2nd year option. If you do that, then is the tuition 84k?

Not sure if you did that, but have you heard much from others about the MPH option? How did most of the students that did the MPH program feel about it? Any other details would be helpful. Thanks.

I will most likely be attending the program this fall as well. I applied on 2/7 and was accepted on 3/21, so it was about a 1.5 month wait for me.

I will be living off campus as well and was looking for a nice and reasonably priced place near campus, has anyone heard of a specific area or apartment complex that is good and near the campus (~10 miles seems reasonable right?)

I am looking for a one bedroom, ~$1000/month (or cheaper )

Hey Guys,

Im going to be moving to Boston from out of state and was looking to set up a list of expected costs for the semester: I am basically separating the costs into two groups "Up Front Costs" and "Costs for the semester". I want to make sure I try to save up as close as I can to the up front costs required to moving to a rather expensive city like boston.

I was hoping to get additional input from everyone to make a comprehensive and realistic list of expenses that everyone could benefit from. Here's what I have so far, some costs may be over-estimated to be safe:

1) Apartment Move-In: $2500 deposit (first/last month rent, etc)
2) Apartment Items: $500 (dishes, cleaning supplies, trash can, etc)
3) Truck Rental: $500 (Rental fee + Gas)
4) Furniture: $1500 (Living room, bed, computer desk, microwave, etc)

total: $5000 for up-front costs

is this reasonable so far and what else am I missing?

Members don't see this ad :)
So the full second year was required to complete your thesis? The 2 units/semester is the minimum requirement while still working on your thesis? Not sure if I understood that. It seems like it's just a way to keep the "student" status while you work on your thesis?

Were you doing the public health option?

I was also curious about this MPH 2nd year option. If you do that, then is the tuition 84k?

Not sure if you did that, but have you heard much from others about the MPH option? How did most of the students that did the MPH program feel about it? Any other details would be helpful. Thanks.

The full second year is not required. You could do the library thesis over the summer after year 1 and be done with it all in one full year. And yes, the 2 units/semester is just to retain student status which you must have while you write your thesis. If you were to do the library thesis over the summer, you'd be paying for summer 1 and summer 2 sessions.

I did not do the MPH and don't really know too much about it. I know of one person who did the MPH first, then GMS afterwards. All I know is that the MPH program is pretty chill especially in comparison to the GMS program. The students seem to get along really well w/ one another and go out a lot.

I will be living off campus as well and was looking for a nice and reasonably priced place near campus, has anyone heard of a specific area or apartment complex that is good and near the campus (~10 miles seems reasonable right?)

I lived in a 2bedroom/1bath for $1800 right by campus. This was probably on the higher end. The farther out you live, the cheaper it gets.

How much is rent for the on-campus apartments?

Don't know off the top of my head but definitely >$1000. I'm pretty sure this information is on the housing website.

Hey Guys,

Im going to be moving to Boston from out of state and was looking to set up a list of expected costs for the semester: I am basically separating the costs into two groups "Up Front Costs" and "Costs for the semester". I want to make sure I try to save up as close as I can to the up front costs required to moving to a rather expensive city like boston.

I was hoping to get additional input from everyone to make a comprehensive and realistic list of expenses that everyone could benefit from. Here's what I have so far, some costs may be over-estimated to be safe:

1) Apartment Move-In: $2500 deposit (first/last month rent, etc)
2) Apartment Items: $500 (dishes, cleaning supplies, trash can, etc)
3) Truck Rental: $500 (Rental fee + Gas)
4) Furniture: $1500 (Living room, bed, computer desk, microwave, etc)

total: $5000 for up-front costs

is this reasonable so far and what else am I missing?

Um, I guess it's better to over-budget but you could probably cut down on a lot of those costs. Unless you're planning on staying there for the long haul, you're really only there for 9 months...

Sorry, maybe this is redundant, but just to get it straight: Not many people apply to/are accepted to medical school during the first year? Even to Boston University? How realistically possible is it to do this?

Secondly, (on a side note I'm leaning toward to the two-year option, but just to keep my options open) Would taking the MCAT in late July be detrimental at all to my application if I do the 1-year tract, considering schools wait for your first semester grades anyways?

Sorry, maybe this is redundant, but just to get it straight: Not many people apply to/are accepted to medical school during the first year? Even to Boston University? How realistically possible is it to do this?

Secondly, (on a side note I'm leaning toward to the two-year option, but just to keep my options open) Would taking the MCAT in late July be detrimental at all to my application if I do the 1-year tract, considering schools wait for your first semester grades anyways?

Like I said, out of our class of 180, I only know of 1-2 that got in but there may have been a few that I didn't know about. I would say at the most 5/180.

If you need to retake your MCAT, the advisors will tell you to take the MCAT in August of the summer following your first year. I took it in the July and b/c I was paranoid about being early and felt that 5-6 weeks was enough to prepare for it. I'm not sure if that answered your question. If you meant taking the MCAT in the July before starting the GMS program, and you are saying schools are going to wait for your first semester grades anyways, then it won't matter when you take it then right? First semester won't end until December and I think the latest you can take an MCAT to be eligible for that same cycle is September.

So I got into the program and now I am WORRIED about housing. I want to live close to the school. I am not from the area so I do not know the specifics. Does anyone have advice about the best places to live??

Any pre-dental students applying to the Oral Health Sciences track??

DWC: So I got an option to pass out of biostatistics because I took it in college. The letter says I can take another elective instead. Is this a good idea? What do you recommend?

In terms of housing in Boston you want to look at areas like Allston and Brighton. They are "college ghettos" which are affordable and have a lot of college students that live there. The green line is right there which will make traveling to classes easy. I am hoping to live in that area as well with some friends when I attend the Tufts program.

So I got into the program and now I am WORRIED about housing. I want to live close to the school. I am not from the area so I do not know the specifics. Does anyone have advice about the best places to live??

If you want to live close, you have to be willing to pay for it. Yea it's expensive but it's really really convenient to roll out of bed and walk 5 minutes to get to class or run back if you tend to forget things like myself. And for those long study days, it's so easy to study on campus, run back for a meal/relax, and then go back to campus. If you can afford it, I highly recommend living closer.

DWC: So I got an option to pass out of biostatistics because I took it in college. The letter says I can take another elective instead. Is this a good idea? What do you recommend?

Yes it is a good idea to get out of biostats if you can. Anyone can opt out as long as show some proof that you've taken stats before. I recommend NOT taking Nutrition (that class screwed my GPA a bit but it was the first year they offered it to GMS students). The most popular elective is probably pharmacology...relatively easy A and probably stuff you will learn again down the road anyways.

There seems to be so many options for classes! I don't see how to decide what to take. Do the advisors really help you to figure out what you should and shouldn't take?

When you mentioned pharmacology, there seems to be like 4 different types. Seems pretty confusing...

Also what's the deal with the concentrations?

There seems to be so many options for classes! I don't see how to decide what to take. Do the advisors really help you to figure out what you should and shouldn't take?

When you mentioned pharmacology, there seems to be like 4 different types. Seems pretty confusing...

Also what's the deal with the concentrations?

It would probably behoove you to take subjects that medical students would normally take (pharm, embryo, path). I thought the advisors were helpful at first. I didn't know there were 4 pharmacologies but you really don't need to be worrying about this now. Everyone figures this stuff out during the first week or so. And concentrations are...concentrations. It's pretty straight forward...you take some certain extra classes and it's noted on your diploma. Not many ppl do this though...

I'm pretty sure I'll be at BU in fall 2009. I want to finish this program within a year, and actually try to be one of those students that gets accepted into medical school the following year. My undergrad GPA is really good, but my MCAT was a 26 last May.

I'm worried what the advisors at BU will tell me once I get there. I have a feeling they'll tell me to take the MCAT again, but only AFTER I've finished the program.

What do you guys think? I had some problems with taking it again last summer because of classes and personal problems... which is why I'm in this program.

I know that if I get my MCAT up even just a few points I would be really competitive next year, especially with this program under my belt.

When should I take it if I decide? I'll be gone all of May until the beginning of June, so maybe August? Will that be enough time for a second go-around at this horrible test?

Is biostat a difficult class? I've already taken statistics, so I'm thinking I should take it since I have prior knowledge on the subject.

Anyone know what the turn around time on the applications is? Or when one is likely to hear?
Thanks

robflanker, based on this and other threads, most seem to be hearing back within a month to month and a half. But since more people are applying around this time because of med schools getting their last acceptance letters out, it might take a bit long - stay strong!

Anyone know what the turn around time on the applications is? Or when one is likely to hear?
Thanks

I applied in early February and still haven't heard back yet. I called today and they said they have been reviewing applications but couldn't give me any idea of a time frame. So who knows when we'll hear back:confused:

I applied early february...complete march 11...when i called on the 24th of march the lady I spoke with said to call back within 2-3weeks.

Any pre-dental students applying to the Oral Health Sciences track??

I applied back in November and was complete in January. I've been calling Dr. Mascarenhas about it and she finally told me that if I haven't heard anything by now (no acceptance, no rejection) then I'm probably wait-listed. booooo

Hmm alright thanks everyone. Seen as I didnt submit till March 24th, it'll be a while for me haha

Do you by chance know if being in the boston U MAMS program gives you an advantage into getting into BU med? Also, for people who got in, what kind of scores did you guys have? I am gonna start applying now.

sorry to hear! i hope u get in off the waitlist...any idea how many students are accepted to the OHST program?

I replied end of February and I received my acceptance today.

WOOT

I'm looking for places relatively close to the school as well... I'll probably have to get a roommate... looking for a female roommate who doesn't mind the possibility of a pet....

I know the minimum amount of credits for completion of the MAMS program in 32 credits, but what is the cost per credit? I can't find it on the website.
Thanks

Only 6 students?! crapp...I'm going to call and find out tomorrow. This program seems really good for pre-dental students...did u apply anywhere else?

cool, when you do let me know what you find out.

I also applied to nova, tufts, BU, and the ucsf/sfsu/uop program because I'm a Cali resident. I've already received a straight rejection from tufts and now the wait-list from BU. If I'm not mistaken btw, BU is a private school right? Cause when I called Dr. Mascarenhas she told me that I was wait-listed for being a Cali resident and that they perfer people from the New England area blahdy blahdy blah blah.

This may be a dull question but I don't remember the answer. BU lets you know via mail of their decision? Don't remember seeing an online status checker when I finished the app

If some of the accepted folks don't mind posting their stats.. that would be very helpful.

Thanks

Hey guys, I recently got in and was wondering if anyone was looking for a female roomate (needs to be another female of course :p) or has a place they would like to sublet. I'd prefer to live near enough to school to walk. Should I bring a car btw? Also, can more people that have complete BU MAMS reply on the likelihood it is of getting in within a year? Thanks!

If some of the accepted folks don't mind posting their stats.. that would be very helpful.

Thanks
I finished my application at the beginning of March, and received the application complete email on March 18th. Just got my acceptance letter this week! I applied to Georgetown, Loyola and Drexel's IMS program also, but its good to know that I'll be somewhere in the upcoming year!

Here were my stats:

MCAT: 29M (taking the June 18th test to bump this up before school starts)
GPA: 3.34
BCPM GPA: 3.10

Finished my undergrad in June 2007 if that helps any

My impression is that this program is looking for a high mcat score and low gpa. I have a great gpa but my test scores weren't stellar. If that helps at all. I called and they said they have been reviewing my app but couldn't tell me when they would make a decision.

Thanks

UMich - Neuro '09
Overall GPA: 3.3 (upward trend the past couple of years)
BCPM: 3.2
MCAT: 30Q

cool, when you do let me know what you find out.

I also applied to nova, tufts, BU, and the ucsf/sfsu/uop program because I'm a Cali resident. I've already received a straight rejection from tufts and now the wait-list from BU. If I'm not mistaken btw, BU is a private school right? Cause when I called Dr. Mascarenhas she told me that I was wait-listed for being a Cali resident and that they perfer people from the New England area blahdy blahdy blah blah.

hey I called Dr. M yesterday but she wasn't there and I left a message but still no reply. I doubt she will call back =/ . Apparently, my app is still under review.