BU MAMS Fall 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah the day I got here it was horribly hot and yesterday was beautiful weather like a spring or winter day in Fl. with the cool morning weather and hot weather in the afternoon back to being cool in the evening. If weather was like it was yesterday year around I'd be a happy person. But sadly its too cold in the north and too hot in the south.

hmm you'll be up for quite a disappointment dear, weather here is unpredictable and mostly not the type of weather we desire. lol it's all part of the new england experience though ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Oh I've subscribed to the philosophy that weather is never perfect anywhere. The north is too cold, the south is too hot, both have unpredictable weather. you forget I'm from a state known for being part of hurricane central. unpredictable weather is something I'm used to. I know in Fl. some days it will look sunny and out of nowhere it becomes cloudy and starts pouring down rain.

And the way it constantly snows here it constantly rains in Fl. even in winters. So I'm used to unpreditability in weather. Just not used to snow though I'll have to learn real fast. ;)

When you are used to something, it is not unpredictable. :)

Anyway, don't bother comparing Florida's [alleged] unpredictability to Boston. Its just no match. :cool:

Clearly you have not been in Fl. long enough. I mean you oddly enough believe Fl. is not humid and I'll tell you the worst humidity i've had in my life was in Mumbai followed by Fl. and esp. the closer you are to the water. The heat and humidity is horrible esp. in summer time.

And yes Fl. is very unpredictable in weather terms esp. during hurricane season because you never know if the hurricanes stay the path that is predicted or swerve and change course to end up in parts like Fl. This was esp. true about 5 years ago when we kept getting hit by one hurricane after another. and also you misinterpreted my statement.

Unpredictable weather is something one can be used to because all it means is that you are used to knowing that just cuz the forecast says one thing doesn't mean that something out of the blue will change rather easily and quite often with the weather and that you are used to the fact that weather patterns constantly fluctuate.

What makes boston worse is the snow and the fact that at least half the year is dealing with harsh winter/spring weather not the unpredictability. And from what you told me about your previous visit to Fl. it sounds like you've not been in Fl. long enough to know how bad it can get sometimes.

Like I said before, weather is bad everywhere, not really ever truly predictable in 100% totality, and never will you find a place where 100% of the time you get perfect weather. So I'm not too worried about it.

Relax, really. haha.

And note that I wasn't commenting on "bad" weather, I was commenting on "unpredictability."

Members don't see this ad :)
:) I think I'm just ready to go cuz i was in limbo this whole past year since getting a job for a year didn't work out at all though I did interview 2x for research positions and had a 3rd offer for an interview after I decided i was moving up here for this.

Does anyone know how to set up wireless internet in Harrison Court? Or if it is even possible? I've been given the run around and am connected only cuz of a couple of unsecured connections.

I was told by the people at the LRC to connect to the 802.1x BU connection but that reaches sometimes and not at other times so while my computer is configured for such for the campus it does not always reach HC. Other times I've used this home wireless person's connection but it is not always there and our ethernet jacks in the whole apt don't work. So I will call IT about that but in the meanwhile I heard you have to get some VPN acct or something but am so lost at how to do it.

does anyone know how to set up the wireless internet or is it just ethernet with the wire that we have access to?

hey guju, I had the same problem setting up my wireless at harrison...talked to the IT people and they said that only the lower ethernet jack in the "main room" (as opposed to bedroom) is active. They told me that all you have to do is set up a wireless router with that port to get wireless.

Tried for HOURS to get my router that I had been using for the past two years in my old place, and nothing worked...I could get to a setup page to tweak router settings, but wasn't able to go online with it. After several hours of trying to tweak settings, reinstall, etc...I just went out and bought a new router. Right after installing, it worked...go figure. It was a linksys wireless N if you're interested.

I was using "home wireless" for a while when I was here too :p Hope you get set up!

I'm so glad I got to walk around Boston today. I went to the prudential center and went around the skywalk. Learned some on the Boston landmarks. Then I caught a movie (district 9). So glad to find out that Boston isn't all like the medical center area (south end). Just my opinions though. Don't get mad if you love the south end or something. Since Thursday, I saw a drug dealer (maybe some other profession...) get a wad of money stolen by someone and broken window glass next to a street side where cars are parked which probably means that car window was broken into.

Anyways, I am not here for the environment but to get into professional school so I am not bothered by it too much. Looking forward to meeting you guys tomorrow and excited for the first day of orientation. See ya guys!

district 9 was a real dope movie....also whats the attire for the orientation!? :scared: left all my clothes in a car parkd at the hospital and im far away from that..and was in tees and jeans but just bought a shirt and khakis ?

also the housing booklet says the area is safe since its near the hospital and there is security. seems like the area is mad gentrified and may have been worse earlier?

Last edited:
YOU = MY God Sent!!! You were absolutely correct. I just tried it and the bottom one in the living room does work, which happens to be the room I turned into my bedroom since I'm splitting a 1 bedroom with a roommate. Split the room off with curtains from the kitchen, dining, and entrance if you are interested. ;).

But so now I A. Need to find a router and use that outlet to connect to such, or B. need to get one of those 2 ethernet jack dividers that you can plug into the ethernet so 2 wires can go easily and get her the 50 foot one so she can use it from the room.

do you know how much it costs to get the wireless router and set it up and who you would have to contact to set it up?

BTW I just also wanted to say you are more helpful then either the IT office, med library LRC, or Susan Bramberg were to me. Susan just told me to call the med IT office who told me to speak to the LRC people who also weren't sure how wireless occurs over here at HC. So I must say its moments like this when i thank god for SDN. :D

if you get a router you won't need a 50 foot ethernet cable for your roommate or one for you either, you'll have wireless...!

also, setting up a router is really easy, there are instructions that come in the box.

YOU = MY God Sent!!! You were absolutely correct. I just tried it and the bottom one in the living room does work, which happens to be the room I turned into my bedroom since I'm splitting a 1 bedroom with a roommate. Split the room off with curtains from the kitchen, dining, and entrance if you are interested. ;).

But so now I A. Need to find a router and use that outlet to connect to such, or B. need to get one of those 2 ethernet jack dividers that you can plug into the ethernet so 2 wires can go easily and get her the 50 foot one so she can use it from the room.

do you know how much it costs to get the wireless router and set it up and who you would have to contact to set it up?

BTW I just also wanted to say you are more helpful then either the IT office, med library LRC, or Susan Bramberg were to me. Susan just told me to call the med IT office who told me to speak to the LRC people who also weren't sure how wireless occurs over here at HC. So I must say its moments like this when i thank god for SDN. :D

Haha, aww thanks! Glad I could help, I know I was frustrated with it for a LONG time, haha :p

Wireless routers aren't too bad...I guess depending on the type of range you want on it it could be from about $40-$100. And yep as july said the instructions in the box make it a cinch to set up. But regardless, lemme know if you need help since we're living in the same building anyways!

Yeah I talked to my roommate after I posted that late last night. She thinks her bro in NYC might have a router otherwise we'll get one. Just waiting til labor day. til then we are using home wireless and the ethernet in the living room where the router will be connected once we obtain one of some sort.

So wow orientation starts in 3.5 hours since I don't count the getting ID times since people like you and me and jlee have ours from moving into HC. :)

With no car...amazon has become one of my best friends for buying things, haha. Shipping and no tax!

See you all in 2 hours now! :)

So, why would anyone want to waive biostatistics? Is it because s/he wants to take other classes? I am in group 3. What about you guys? Do you think they might let us switch groups? At the orientation they seemed pretty strict about that kinda stuff...

Anyways, I am thinking about taking a rec class. If you guys are interested take a look at this link. http://www.bu.edu/fitrec/

Edit 2:
15% discount on class registrations at the Open House excluding certification classes, private instruction, and children's aquatics classes. Open House is 9/1 from 5:30 to 7:30 pm. Good time for me to figure out the bus.
Edit: After some searching on BU links, I found out there are 4 open seats in pharmacology (group 3 ppl) and 14 open seats in physiology A (group 14 ppl) You can see how full classes are by searching for it under class descriptions then clicking on the sections. Probably a faster way but I wouldn't know.

Last edited:
i'm thinking of dropping biostats to take stats with computers

Members don't see this ad :)
Hoooooow was orientation little boys and girls?!!

Awesome, glad you liked my wave in the elevator, haha...it's interesting having faces to put to these names now

that was me you waved to. that last post wasnt by me lol

If you are serious about switching, just attend ur current classes and the ones you want. From what I am seeing, there is room in classes like Pharm and physio... I might join you bleargh if I stay in group 3 with that comp biostats class.
See y'all in biochem. One good thing about group 3 if ur not a morning person is that biochem is your earliest class!

If you are serious about switching, just attend ur current classes and the ones you want. From what I am seeing, there is room in classes like Pharm and physio... I might join you bleargh if I stay in group 3 with that comp biostats class.
See y'all in biochem. One good thing about group 3 if ur not a morning person is that biochem is your earliest class!

word. say hi.

word. say hi.
Hey man. I decided not to take the class. How is it? I am just doing the track 1 classes. Biochem seems like it is moving FAST!
How is everyone doing? I was on the facebook group and I think i saw geobanana lol. :laugh:

I was wondering if I can get your guy's opinion on this.

I was always a pre-med student, but recently I am getting interested in the PA field.

My grades are pretty weak in general and was wondering, IF i decide to go to the PA route instead of the MD/DO route.
Do you think it is in my best interest to go to Boston U and go through this program? Or just take classes are a Community college

eek i guess my name/pic are obvious when you actually know my real name lol ahh well nice to meet some of you/ see around lol

If you are serious about switching, just attend ur current classes and the ones you want. From what I am seeing, there is room in classes like Pharm and physio...

Pharm is a great class, and with some hard work, a pretty easy A/A-. Walsh is a funny lady, and definitely excited about pharmacology.

sorry quick question - i'm having a last minute debate over whether or not to take pharmacology or histology first semester (along with biochem and phys). do you guys have any recommendations? Is one easier than the other?

sorry quick question - i'm having a last minute debate over whether or not to take pharmacology or histology first semester (along with biochem and phys). do you guys have any recommendations? Is one easier than the other?

Have you been attending both classes? :confused: It looks like people are saying the pharmacology class isn't bad, but this means you won't be able to histology unless you decide to take it in 2010-2011 school year. Good luck figuring out things.

, but this means you won't be able to histology unless you decide to take it in 2010-2011 school year.

apparently that's not necessarily true. according to millie, they originally thought there was going to be a scheduling conflict b/w physio B and Histo (6-credit), but it was somehow resolved. now it's just a question of if there is enough room, which I would imagine there will be

apparently that's not necessarily true. according to millie, they originally thought there was going to be a scheduling conflict b/w physio B and Histo (6-credit), but it was somehow resolved. now it's just a question of if there is enough room, which I would imagine there will be

Ah, that is cool. I thought the reason was because they said the stuff we learn in histo and physio correspond to one another so that is why they wanted us to take it at the same time. I guess if you take pharm though, you might have to give up on endo/immuno... I don't know if that is a bad thing though. I have been thinking about maybe taking a 4 credit elective in the spring instead of those two classes. Wonder if I can get more opinion on how bad it might look if I decide not to take immunology/endocrinology...

Ah, that is cool. I thought the reason was because they said the stuff we learn in histo and physio correspond to one another so that is why they wanted us to take it at the same time. I guess if you take pharm though, you might have to give up on endo/immuno... I don't know if that is a bad thing though. I have been thinking about maybe taking a 4 credit elective in the spring instead of those two classes. Wonder if I can get more opinion on how bad it might look if I decide not to take immunology/endocrinology...

Yeahhh, I wouldn't do that. Just my opinion. :D

If you take 6 credit physio and histo, then you don't recommend taking immuno. But if you take only 1 (or none) of the two 6 credit courses, then certainly consider (and probably take) immuno. I'd suggest taking Endo no matter how you set up your schedule. :p

do you think its necessary to go to class with the videos being streamed? i've tried going and not going, and not going act seems to work a little better, but ive never missed class before in college, so i'm a little nervous about it!

do you think its necessary to go to class with the videos being streamed? i've tried going and not going, and not going act seems to work a little better, but ive never missed class before in college, so i'm a little nervous about it!
I glanced at some of the videos. Can you see what they write on the board? I had difficulty. Also, the audio just sounds so much better in real life. Lectures also force me to somewhat learn even if I don't want to so I think that is very helpful keeping you on a regular scheudle. The professor for histology did say that there was no correlation between people who attended class and did well in the class so more power to you if you can do that! :laugh:

Yeahhh, I wouldn't do that. Just my opinion. :D

If you take 6 credit physio and histo, then you don't recommend taking immuno. But if you take only 1 (or none) of the two 6 credit courses, then certainly consider (and probably take) immuno. I'd suggest taking Endo no matter how you set up your schedule. :p
Thanks camaras! I was worrying about having too many classes next semester but since endo and immuno will start later, it can't be much worse than this semester. I think for now I will just focus on doing well this semester. :laugh:

woot woot \o/ program is pretty damn amazing I must say :)

you can't use calculators during tests/quizzes, can you?

you can't use calculators during tests/quizzes, can you?

Dr. Offner mentioned that we get to use a calculator during the biochem exam (not too sure about physio quiz tomorrow, but I'm taking one anyways)

Dr. Offner mentioned that we get to use a calculator during the biochem exam (not too sure about physio quiz tomorrow, but I'm taking one anyways)

Good idea for biochem (esp. with Traish & Nugent's questions).

Oh, and I am officially a Master of Medical Sciences today! Hooray for me. Good luck this year, guys. It's a long haul, but it's worth it in the end!

Good idea for biochem (esp. with Traish & Nugent's questions).

Oh, and I am officially a Master of Medical Sciences today! Hooray for me. Good luck this year, guys. It's a long haul, but it's worth it in the end!

Congrats dude! :thumbup: :D

can everyone in histo please e-mail their discussion leader about the exam

Soooo which ones among you got interviews/accepted somewhere?

but i'm moving home at the end of this month. anyone interested in subletting a 1 bedroom apt at Harrison Court for the months of May, June and July (which is when my lease ends)...shoot me a PM!